• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

I don't even know why I bother anymore, 40 mins to find a match on avg. Otherwise I literally run into the same 2-3 people and that's on saturday/sunday nights.

I give up, I'll just come back when the next season drops.

FluxWaveZ

Not necessarily. If Chun does her 3f jab as well after then they should trade with your 3f.

I was including her own 3-frame jab as "interrupt," since a trade is better than the opponent having the advantage. I dunno how V-Trigger cancels specifically affect frame advantage, though, so if it depends on a specific frame of her cr.MP, that's something to keep in mind.

Yep. And just like using a 3f jab to trade against FANG's st.HK pressure, it's better to interrupt with a trade like that instead of letting their offense continue, at least to me.

JayEH

Now I see why bigbird doesn't win anything these days. He just shimmys and DPs in odd and unexpected situations.

Something a genuinely good player can not only handle but punish.

I still think it's such bullshit btw that Ken can V-trigger cancel off his Dp.

Everyone with a 3 bar trigger can cancel unsafe moves like this.

mitchlol

So I just finished listening to last weeks (free) Kind Funny Games Cast, they had some guy who came up with XBLA on the show talking about his time at Microsoft all in all he was pretty interesting to listen to. He was explaining about some new mobile project he is involved in where players can vs each other in money matches on iphone/ipad in games like Pacman Tetris Solitare etc old arcade games. Players each put up the bet and the winner takes 95% of the winnings with the dev taking a small cut. Seemed like a good business model. Got me thinking how great it would be to have a similar system for Street Fighter of any version. I love watching money matches and love playing in money matches. As I get older and my local scene gets smaller the only people I can really play for money are friends which after a while doesn't really have the same charm.

I'd love to have a robust online system where a 3rd party could act as the banker so two people could vs in a money match. Of course there are a lot of things that need to be considered, such as bots/lag etc but playing for money could make online that much more exciting.

FluxWaveZ

playing for money could make online that much more exciting.

It would become hell. There are SO many things to account for, some of which you allude to, that establishing real money bets in a game like Street Fighter would be pretty much impossible.

Laws between different regions, lag (intentional or not), general cheating, etc. Then there's the fallout that would come from it with unpleasantness and threats.

Mobile is a whole different arena but, even then, from the games you mentioned that were talked about in the Kinda Funny show, are players actually facing each other simultaneously?

JayEH

Well yeah, but he's fucked if he gets hit with a successful meaty. Still not a 100% risk free move like the dp cancel.

Well I don't mind too much since it's still negative. It's annoying to not get the crush counter but they wasted their activation on the bad dp.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, after learning that Ken's DP > V-Trigger is -5, that really isn't bothersome to me. It's like some Persona 4 Arena stuff.

I have problems with going against DPs in general, though.

mitchlol

Mobile is a whole different arena but, even then, from the games you mentioned that were talked about in the Kinda Funny show, are players actually facing each other simultaneously?

From what he said the games are played out asynchronously so something like Tetris plays out with both players getting the exact same pieces in the exact same order and having a set time limit with the winner being determined by highest score. As it is simply high score wins they could set a window of like 2 hours before head to head ends and the winner is payed.

I agree that there are too many variables to consider a system reliable enough to bet on. I just hope that one day we could get there. I even like watching money matches because people can get so salty.

Applied correctly 1v1 games that are skill based could have some sort of money system in place. So long as there isn't an element of randomness that is variable between the two players.

I guess it's just a bit frustrating because FANG already has damage output issues and then has to put up with this. I can get a st.lp xx st.mk into stuff but it requires me to be on time with my input because if I'm not, they'll just DP again.

Unrelated but:

That moment when they expect you to end the round with an instant overhead and you do a cr.lk instead.

wC56TPP.png

"Good" is not the best metric lol

To me it would probably start at 10,000 LP right now (since the numbers keep going up). That's what? Top 5,000 players?
It's just the point where you're actually using everything the game and your character has to offer, can adept and execute. I don't think players below that are doing all of it.

I think ya'll overstate the meaning of "good" if that's the case. What you're saying, being at that level is more of a "great" player, not just "good". Being good, you probably have a handle on all of those things and can implement them, but just not as consistently or have some weaknesses in some areas.

Matter of fact, considering the ease of execution, simplified mechanics and everything in this game specifically, most of that shit starts to become present around silver/gold status and it's just a matter of not getting frustrated and having character knowledge and match up knowledge/experience across the full cast and continue to getting better and staying consistent with it.

Even "great" players can lose to the same shit that "good" or even "not good" players lose to by simply losing their cool, getting hit with something they've never seen before (and it perplexes them to not recover/adapt to it) and/or just succumbing to mind-games or shenanigans on occasion. Also, they can have bad days or drops in execution (even in this game), misreads/misjudgments, etc. to a bad streak level. Doesn't mean that they're no longer great. Just the same, a good player can, at times, pull off a lot or even all of the same things that great players do, but may only falter on it under pressure and such and/or may not be as consistent with it. Dedication and time is the defining, differentiating factor really.

Basing skill off an amount of points for the online component in a fighting game is absurd IMO. It just shows how much a person grinded and the fact that they're good enough to be winning a majority of those matches.

It's why I think adding an online component to the CPT was a stupid decision, even if the netcode was better.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's why I said "to me". I would be in your described category and I don't think I'm good at this game.

Basing skill off an amount of points for the online component in a fighting game is asinine IMO. It just shows how much a person grinded and the fact that they're good enough to be winning a majority of those matches.
Grinding gets you XP and levels in this game, but not LP. You can grind as long as you want. If you don't get better, you won't get those. And winning matches is not a sign of skill? I'm confused.

JayEH

online CPT is fine because if they're frauds they'll get exposed right away in the regional finals. i think most of the online CPT winners have been established players though.

FluxWaveZ

Basing skill off an amount of points for the online component in a fighting game is asinine IMO. It just shows how much a person grinded and the fact that they're good enough to be winning a majority of those matches.

It's why I think adding an online component to the CPT was a stupid decision, even if the netcode was better.

I tend to disagree actually. You'll never see StarCraft II players, for example, claim that their 1v1 ladder MMR is meaningless, or that someone is just (Grand) Master because they grinded a bunch.

I don't think the way it's represented in SFV is a direct correlation to skill level (due to things like latency, bad matchmaking, rage quits, etc.), but I do think it gives you a general idea of one's skill at the game more than not.

I guess the difference with SFV, though, is that there are way more players who will play locals more than online, so even though someone might be Silver, they could still be one of the best players in the world, while you absolutely wouldn't see that happening in SCII.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The current leaderboard top 10 has players like Momochi, Xyzzy, Haitani, Daigo and Nuki. Rank is meaningful in this game.

Not saying it's the be-all and end-all to skill determination.

I feel like I didn't understand the original post I was responding to.

Not saying that the people in the top 500 or top 1000 of the rankings are shit or that they just lucked out those wins, but just that the amount of lp does not indicate how good a person is.

By that logic, that Brazilian Dhalsim player should be on the same level as Daigo or Momochi or PR Balrog which is not at all the case.

Threw together my Fake Official SFV Guile TE2 Fightstick™ yesterday:

14801170_1077487425701514_519983135_n.jpg

Focus Attack sent me the wrong balltop color (dark blue instead of royal blue...a little hard to tell in the pic, though) so it's not quite complete yet until I get the right one, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall.

Skilletor

Focus Attack sent me the wrong balltop color (dark blue instead of royal blue...a little hard to tell in the pic, though) so it's not quite complete yet until I get the right one, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall.

Not enough red for 'MURRICA.

jk jk

Looks super nice. :)

Not murican' enough.

Looks absolutely fantastic, good one!

LakeEarth

I got matched with the same guy on ranked 5 times in a row. I felt bad, especially since it was like a 10-1. One of those Cammy's that only know how to get in from the air, which isn't such a good idea when your opponent is ready for it.

On the bright side, I'm within striking distance of platinum! At least until the next losing streak hits.

That SFV bot can't find my profile. I think any with underscores in the CFN aren't find as I saw someone else's with an underscore also come back 'Not Found'.

Man this game stresses me out so much sometimes.

So I just lost twice to a Ken that uses frame trap DPs in ranked. He didn't do anything a normal Ken would, but he would sometimes end his blockstrings in frametrap DPs, and sometimes interupt my blockstrings with a DP.

Not all the time though, just sometimes.

I should have beaten him, blocked and punished, but when I did block, those were the times he did nothing, then as soon as I think he's stopped doing it, here I go, up in the air with his DP animation.

I feel as though I'm still losing to people that aren't even trying to get better and that's what bugs me more than anything. It makes me feel bad at the game (which I clearly am) but it also makes me feel as though if you can do better without trying then why try. The other day I lost to a Rashid player that was sitting on 6,500 LP (a good 3,500 more than my Rashid) who would end his blockstrings with, and generally spam unsafe eagle spikes.

How do these players get so far? It's not that I don't know how to punish them it's just I don't execute it consistently and they don't stop. They get punished out of it and I assume that they'll stop but they just do it again, and again, when it's completely unexpected, and I struggle to react to that. I guess I just need to play more, but matches like these really kill any sense of progress.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Man this game stresses me out so much sometimes.

So I just lost twice to a Ken that uses frame trap DPs in ranked. He didn't do anything a normal Ken would, but he would sometimes end his blockstrings in frametrap DPs, and sometimes interupt my blockstrings with a DP.

Not all the time though, just sometimes.

I should have beaten him, blocked and punished, but when I did block, those were the times he did nothing, then as soon as I think he's stopped doing it, here I go, up in the air with his DP animation.

I feel as though I'm still losing to people that aren't even trying to get better and that's what bugs me more than anything. It makes me feel bad at the game (which I clearly am) but it also makes me feel as though if you can do better without trying then why try. The other day I lost to a Rashid player that was sitting on 6,500 LP (a good 3,500 more than my Rashid) who would end his blockstrings with, and generally spam unsafe eagle spikes.

How do these players get so far? It's not that I don't know how to punish them it's just I don't execute it consistently and they don't stop. They get punished out of it and I assume that they'll stop but they just do it again, and again, when it's completely unexpected, and I struggle to react to that. I guess I just need to play more, but matches like these really kill any sense of progress.
To be fair, Ken's special moves are pretty op. https://youtu.be/E11zi16Iek4(early vid of me playing juri vs a ken)
What you could do is find the replay or record your matches to study them. Find what your limits are so you can improve and go beyond them. I started doing that and I've gotten far better. I cant tell you anything more because frankly I'm just a scrub trying to be better. This is probably my most recent match with a ken. i lost but got some good hits in though.

Basing skill off an amount of points for the online component in a fighting game is absurd IMO. It just shows how much a person grinded and the fact that they're good enough to be winning a majority of those matches.

If they fix the netcode with rollback being one sided and adding more options like input delay, region lock and replacing bar connection to ping, these problems wouldn't exist.

It was such a non issue in 4. I was able to get to 4k and fight higher skilled players than and still get good matches. Meanwhile we have this game where a Swedish player is constantly fighting people from the US.

mbpm1

The points system is eh most of the time.

I turn it off in display and keep it off. All you need to know is "maybe this person is good" or "maybe this person isn't good" and work from there.

JayEH

It's a great feeling when you almost beat someone a couple ranks above you and they don't rematch because they know next game they'll a million points.

LakeEarth

It's a great feeling when you almost beat someone a couple ranks above you and they don't rematch because they know next game they'll a million points.

And it's the worst when they just barely beat you in a nail-bitter, and then don't rematch. Jerks, they know! They know what was gonna happen.

And it's the worst when they just barely beat you in a nail-bitter, and then don't rematch. Jerks, they know! They know what was gonna happen.

Yep. I had this happen to me yesterday, only to get rematched to them the next match later and beat them 2-0 soundly because of it. Yeah, that salt made him rematch, only to not skeet by that time.

Top Bottom