• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

Developers are written in stone like the 10 commandments.

They change staff all the time.

Video looks hot. People who were there say it looked hot.

I'm going to wait and see instead of just shitting on it because of some dev I barely pay attention to.

C'mon. It's STRIDER! Can't be any worse than Moon Diver and that WAS the original dev.

gunstarhero

"In the new Strider game from Capcom and Double Helix, Strider Hiryu moves at eight times the speed the used to in the original game."

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/19/strider-moves-at-8x-his-original-speed-in-his-new-game/

I'm curious how fast he is compared to Strider 2 (arcade)...

Developers are written in stone like the 10 commandments.

They change staff all the time.

Video looks hot. People who were there say it looked hot.

I'm going to wait and see instead of just shitting on it because of some dev I barely pay attention to.

C'mon. It's STRIDER! Can't be any worse than Moon Diver and that WAS the original dev.

I liked Moon Diver (to a certain degree), but I'm with you - WAY too much negativity in this thread... the game looks awesome. WTF. Any real fan of the original games should be psyched.

ZenTzen

"In the new Strider game from Capcom and Double Helix, Strider Hiryu moves at eight times the speed the used to in the original game."

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/19/strider-moves-at-8x-his-original-speed-in-his-new-game/

I'm curious how fast he is compared to Strider 2 (arcade)...

I liked Moon Diver (to a certain degree), but I'm with you - WAY too much negativity in this thread... the game looks awesome. WTF. Any real fan of the original games should be psyched.
i'm looking forward to the game but it still has some issues in the game besides the developers, the music is pretty lackluster, the colors are dull so they could be more vibrant, Striders laser scarf is ridiculous and the black shoes seems like hes wearing schoolgirl shoes sometimes, he moves slower compared to Strider 2, and when he runs theres some serious lack of momentum when jumping, theres also the bullet sponge thing and the camera being too close, especially when enemies appear right in your face or start shooting offscreen and stuff like that.

Other than that i'm just waiting to see more enemies, because there was pretty awesome enemy variety and design in previous Striders

At least having an open world will give the game a much longer playtime. People seem to forget that the level based Strider games could be completed in less than half an hour easily. Strider 1 probably half of that.

That depends on what you consider "completed" to mean in the context of an arcade game.

The gameplay looks great, I hope when or before this drops they Release the PSX Strider 2 on the Playstation store, it's just so hard to find Strider 2 in good condition with a good price point.

Barakov

Gold Member
Excited for a new Strider. It's good to see the original devs designing it but the fact that Double Helix are the ones developing it is definitely a cause for concern.

well that escalated quickly

IT'S STRIDER I CANT WAIT TO GET IT
WAIT IT LOOKS SORT OF WEIRD
WAIT IT'S DOUBLE HELIX
FUCK ME IT'S OPEN WORLD
ITS NOT STRIDER NEVERMIND

"Oh, the hired goons who whacked the Front Mission series? It's good for them that they've found reliable money if the can stomach all the wetwork, I guess."

I hope this is a "companion" to a full 3d game like Bionic Commando was, and I think there's a chance. Strider would be so cool for something like that.

SykoTech

Eh. It doesn't look bad, but there's something pretty sterile about both the gameplay and the look. Not on the level of the latest Mario platformers or anything, but unexciting nevertheless.

Gonna keep expectations low for this one.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I played through most of Front Mission Evolved so I'm scared about this.

kamspy

My first gen was NES, and I'll never forget Strider for Genesis being my first "holy shit - next gen" moment.

This looks awesome. I'm in.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So you couldn't even finish FM:E. Welp.
They don't seem to have a problem with being extremely repetitive and bulletsponges. It just got so tiresome I couldn't take it anymore. Worse than Borderlands.

Biker19

Banned
woah woah woah easy there.

I also liked RE6 and Bionic Commando, but I can fully understand why most people would not, but DMC4? Get outta here.

I agree, though the only good games that Capcom has done so far this gen on Wii/PS3/360 are

Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Sengoku Basara Triple Pack
Devil May Cry 4
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Mega Man 9
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
1942: Joint Strike
Age of Booty
Okami HD
Final Fight: Double Impact
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Resident Evil 4 HD
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
E.X. Troopers
Marvel vs. Capcom Origins
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD Version
Darkstalkers Resurrection
DuckTales Remastered
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes
Disney Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

And most of these games that I have on that list all happen to be downloads &/or collections/remakes of older games. Isn't that sad?

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
The game looks okay I guess, but the remixed Raid theme sounds soooo good lol

nded

Finally had the time to watch the full gameplay trailer. Not really liking how enemy gunshots just spray all over the place seemingly without any predictable patterns or ways to dodge. Half of most Strider games' already fairly basic gameplay consists of dodging bullets unscathed to slice up the guy shooting at you.

zweifuss

The siliconera article actually made me change my mind about this. I went from super-excited, to disappointed, to cautiously optimistic. The developers seem to really care about the character. I hope that footage is from a current-gen system (I watched the 60fps video from gamersyde and it looks silky-smooth). Bullet-sponge gameplay aside, I think this is one to look forward to in 2014. Even though they've pretty much set the artwork style in stone by now, I will get used to it. And it's neat how they explain the scarf being an excess of plasma energy, I'm not so upset any more about it not being made out of fabric.

I also think they're keeping the cool big set pieces under wraps, the robot dragon tease at the end certainly piques my interest.

Don't screw it up guys!

MMaRsu

Banned
Gotta love people who shit on a game announcement just because of who's developing it.

Really? Seems like a good thing.
If the worst baker in the world announced a new product most people will shit on the baker for being the worst baker.

maeda

Just watched the video. Does anyone think there should be a block or evade action? It seems that it is next to impossible to avoid the majority of bullets. Plus, why in the hell in a Metroid clone would one give the player the most versatile motion enhancing ability (the hooks) right from the beginning of the game? Overall looks kind of boring. It should have been just a 2D beat'em up. We hardly get those kind of games these days. :( Well the game will die or live by the merits of its level design, just like the other Metroid clones.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just watched the video. Does anyone think there should be a block or evade action? It seems that it is next to impossible to avoid the majority of bullets. Plus, why in the hell in a Metroid clone would one give the player the most versatile motion enhancing ability (the hooks) right from the beginning of the game? Overall looks kind of boring. It should have been just a 2D beat'em up. We hardly get those kind of games these days. :( Well the game will die or live by the merits of its level design, just like the other Metroid clones.

In the gameplay video, you get a defensive action (Slashing bullets back at enemies), as well as have the traditional Strider Slide, which should work like an evade.

Being able to mash on the Cypher as a defense sounds like the perfect idea to me. The base fun of Strider was always "walk to the right and kill everything without interruption"...
I'd rather see something like "switch Cypher types to reflect / destroy different bullets", as opposed to a block or teleport, actually. Would make it kinda Ikaruga like, and allow gameplay to still maintain the same speed.

Starting off with a staple of "Metroidvania's" already in place, just means we can hopefully spend the game learning more varied, unique abilities, instead of playing every M'vania from the same "can't double jump, can't wall hang" defaults ALL THE TIME. Being knocked back to training wheels for each and every M'vania seems to ignore the fact that the subgenre is pretty old now, and we know all too well what to expect... switch it up!

Yotsui is great and all, but his involvement in the new Strider isn't really necessary. He came back not too long ago with Moon Diver... and although I liked that game, it had plenty of issues.

Judging from the early gameplay video, the new Strider looks exactly what a Strider fan would want - I'm just hoping they speed it up a tad, make the gameplay super tight and the levels are as varied as the first game.

And it needs to continue the tradition of a centipede boss.

Main issues with that game were due to Square Enix's influence on the game design, such as the addition a leveling-up system. I'm sure the removal of bottomless pits are also a result of their involvement.

dcx4610

Something looks a tad off but I'm happy it's closer to the NES Strider than the Genesis/Arcade ones. They were good but I liked the Metroid style gameplay and story of the NES.

I wish Grin were still around as they did a fantastic job with Bionic Commando Rearmed but Double Helix seems to be making a statement with this and Killer Instinct.

I'm curious about all the Grin love and trying to ignore the Double Helix hate (which is hard here since the venom is high and gets you noticed I guess).

Grin did Rearmed and that was great! But the boxed Bionic Command was shite and Rearmed 2 was bland and lifeless. Then, they had a bunch of other games that got killed, including a new Strider. I looked at the video and concepts that got leaked and they didn't look anything like Strider. Some of them looked like Ninja Gaiden and some looked like Killzone. The trailer could have been ANYTHING.

At least this looks like Strider.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

NotLiquid

I'm curious about all the Grin love and trying to ignore the Double Helix hate (which is hard here since the venom is high and gets you noticed I guess).

Grin did Rearmed and that was great! But the boxed Bionic Command was shite and Rearmed 2 was bland and lifeless. Then, they had a bunch of other games that got killed, including a new Strider. I looked at the video and concepts that got leaked and they didn't look anything like Strider. Some of them looked like Ninja Gaiden and some looked like Killzone. The trailer could have been ANYTHING.

At least this looks like Strider.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Rearmed 2 was Fatshark, not GRIN.

And personally I still maintain that Bionic Commando was a pretty damn good game even if it had a lot of flaws. Story aside, there were semblances of a great game in there with combat and swinging being a blast. I can't say the same for any game that Double Helix did. Thankfully Killer Instinct and this game are looking decent so far.

Fatshark ARE Grin. They're the team that did Rearmed 1. Broke off to do their own thing before the fall of Grin.

Which proves a point (along with Other M, etc). Devs aren't constant. Some have great track records, some crap. But people move around a lot and you have to identify the real person that made something great.

The days of dev names and publisher names meaning something are over. We need to look at the real people who make things consistently great, not companies.

corporations-are-people-too-.jpeg

NotLiquid

Fatshark ARE Grin. They're the team that did Rearmed 1. Broke off to do their own thing before the fall of Grin.

Is there any source for this? I know for a fact that Grin and Fatshark were close (shared the same complex at one point I think) but the only thing after Grin as far as I know is the lead engineers working with Fatshark to form BitSquid while the head people went on to create Overkill Software.

Top Bottom