• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

This needs to be updated.

TiY9Dnn.gif

c0de

Going back and reading the thread for the 150Mhz boost to the X1 CPU is hilarious.

I wonder if Digital Foundry will take down their article about the X1 having a major advantage on the CPU side of things now?

Based on this graph? This would make me laugh.

coldfoot

Banned
More interesting: Why is it only above 2x better than PS4's CPU? It should easily wipe the floor with PS4's CPU.
Why? We don't even know which generation of i7 it is or its frequency. Ivy Bridge is roughly 2x IPC performance of Jaguar per core:

RFdYCLx.png

Going back and reading the thread for the 150Mhz boost to the X1 CPU is hilarious.

I wonder if Digital Foundry will take down their article about the X1 having a major advantage on the CPU side of things now?

Richard Leadbetter never made an article after the next gen console launch because of the huge difference between the games. he always downplayed the PS4 advantages, but it came back and bit him in the ass lol.

Skeff

Isn't this just a case where the Xbox One is simply using less CPU for these kinds of tasks due to the way in which the Xbox One's resources are partitioned and reserved between 3 operating systems to allow the kind of multi-tasking that the system does even while a full fledged game is running, not to mention the Kinect reservation that's likely always there whether you have it plugged in or not?

Isn't that all that's happening here? Both systems are, afterall, running more or less the same CPU, unless of course the PS4 CPU is clocked higher than we all thought, in which case, the way the Xbox One's resources are partitioned probably matters a lot less in that scenario if we're simply dealing with a PS4 CPU that's just clocked higher than the Xbox One's, but somehow I have a feeling this is a similar deal as those browser benchmarks that were ran before. :)

The PS4 CPU has more performance available for games, the reason why the XB1 is performing worse doesn't really matter does it?

I'm amazing people are still so ignorant as to think this is any previous generation. Previous generations, system had different CPU architectures altogether. This is really the first generation where both system have virtually identical internals, with various tweaks in each. CPU wise though, both are the same. So really, the only difference is going to be clock speed and memory bandwidth.

You should prob. read what I was quoting before trying to refute my point....

Based on this graph? This would make me laugh.

So DF making an article that the X1 CPU is a big advantage over the PS4 CPU ( without knowing the PS4's actual CPU specs mind you ) was A-OK in your book. But them revoking the article once ACTUAL EVIDENCE to the contrary is showcased would make you laugh?

I love the console industry.

Such as? All the launch games for both platforms were underwhelming, and Sony's first party is undeniably stronger than MS's. With 343i at the helm of Halo, I feel it's relevance will just continue to get smaller and smaller

What 343 did to Halo makes me sad... :(

c0de

Why? We don't even know which generation of i7 it is or its frequency. Ivy Bridge is roughly 2x IPC performance of Jaguar per core:

RFdYCLx.png

Well, again we have a graph which includes tests with many variables. PCMark? 7-Zip benchmark? What does it test exactly? Perhaps io-bound? Not a good example, in my opinion.

Yes, you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than you can the Xbox's.

Maybe he's saying that the Xbone has already maxed its CPU potential while the PS4 still has potential to get more out of it. However, the PS4's CPU potential still won't close that 10% gap that Penello spoke of. You all could be misinterpreting.

=P

Norml

Wow. I wonder if this is because of virtualization overhead...
Is related?

System Resource Costs of Hyper-V

The CPU overhead associated with running a guest operating system in a Hyper-V virtual machine was found to range between 9 and 12%. For example, a guest operating system running on a Hyper-V virtual machine typically had available 88-91% of the CPU resources available to an equivalent operating system running on physical hardware.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768536

jaypah

Been wondering since forever why the XB1 has a chip that supports two different versions of wireless screen sharing protocol, yet has no screen sharing capabilities to speak of present or announced for the future.

So much potential literally being ignored.

Especially considering the leaked roadmap made such a big deal out of it. I think either it was half baked and not ready for primetime (though that doesn't usually stop MS) or it's another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing (which also doesn't usually stop MS). Perhaps E3 will have some new functionality/service announcements?

I enjoyed it myself. I wasn't on the forums when it came out, I had no idea so many people disliked the game.

Being a MASSIVE Halo fan I absolutely hate everything they did. Art, gameplay, story, they fucked everything up. Oh well, Destiny comes out next year and had Halo 4 been good I would have had to put up with the Xbone to play Halo 5.

can anyone remind me the name of the website where that guy writes in poorly written english (it's not his native language) about XO's real superiority in a cryptic, conspiratorial tone.
It's always a fascinating read.

(peripherally on topic, since I'm curious how he'd possibly spin this new finding)

JaggedSac

Especially considering the leaked roadmap made such a big deal out of it. I think either it was half baked and not ready for primetime (though that doesn't usually stop MS) or it's another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing (which also doesn't usually stop MS). Perhaps E3 will have some new functionality/service announcements?

Missing or buggy features are most likely due to the "oh shit, we are behind on lots of stuff, lets order everything by importance and cut everything below what our estimates show we can handle".

McHuj

The PS4 CPU has more performance available for games, the reason why the XB1 is performing worse doesn't really matter does it?

yes.

If it's compiler/tools related it can be improved. If it's due to the hypervisor/vm setup, then maybe it can be improved. If it's purely due to a clock difference between the two, then the performance can't be improved.

angrygnat

I seem to remember that earlier in the summer, we had MS officials saying that they had "bumped up" the X1s clock speed. This was curious because no official word had been given as to what the X1s clock speed was in the first place. So what was there to "bump"? I also remember various fanboys saying, "that's nothing!" And opposing fanboys saying,"X1s CPU smokes PS4s CPU! Secret sauce yadda yadda yadda!" So if the small difference was pretty meaningless then, I believe this small difference is pretty meaningless now. It's just funny that all these spec sheets that were made, by people that supposedly know stuff, are all wrong now as they list the PS4 at 1.6 and that was never the case. What a goofy hobby we have!

BlazinAm

175MHz for the CPU. The 53MHz relates to the GPU.

Still, it makes no difference in the age of GPU compute. Both CPUs are very weak, around the same power as what is expected from top line mobile processors in 2014.

Mobile CPUs are going to break Moore's Law or something, what are you getting at?

jaypah

can anyone remind me the name of the website where that guy writes in poorly written english (it's not his native language) about XO's real superiority in a cryptic, conspiratorial tone.
It's always a fascinating read.

(peripherally on topic, since I'm curious how he'd possibly spin this new finding)

misterxmedia. He hasn't spoken on it himself but someone tried to bring it up in the last page of the comments for the latest post and it was shot down quickly as fake. No reason cited other than "people love to bash Xbox". Delusion land, I almost feel sorry for how they all gather and refuse to look at the facts right in front of them, instead choosing to believe in some hidden power that MS doesn't want to talk about. Even if there was something hidden it's still resulting in worse multiplat games so why even hang your hat on it. Sad really.

Guys, Guys the Xbox One is selling so that means people don't care!

You're usually a little better than this.

I hate these types of posts since I don't see any developer whining about it.

I don't see developers whining about anything at the moment so lets close down the whole thread

Fun fact for both of you. Developers are bound by NDA's, which means you almost never hear them whine about either console. At best you get fluffy comments about how both are great, and "pretty similar", etc. In other words, putting a lot of weight into developer comments is pretty silly. They're all towing the line they are legally bound by.

Only on a rare occasion do you get genuine honesty out of them, usually when someone fucks up.

Jesus H. Christ. Xbox division YOU HAD ONE JOB.

Still glad I got my xbo - love Kinect, Kinect fitness, and the Xbox exclusives (launch and planned) - but I'm in the lucky situation of being able to afford a PS4 whenever I feel like grabbing one (and whenever they are in the shops :)) so don't feel I am missing out.

If I had to pick just one for your average gamer who doesn't care for exclusives (which I do, as my relative can only afford one and wants some advice) then how can it even be a contest?

To go from the absolutely wonderful 360 to this defies belief.

SMH, as the cool kids say.

Steroyd

Fun fact for both of you. Developers are bound by NDA's, which means you're almost never hear them whine about either console, ever. At best you get fluffy comments about how both are great, and "pretty similar", etc. In other words, putting a lot of weight into developer comments is pretty silly. They're all towing the line they are legally bound by.

Only on a rare occasion do you get genuine honesty out of them, usually when someone fucks up.

Yeah like Nintendo *explodes with laughter*

Top Bottom