• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best anime I've seen this year?

1. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
3. Kino's Journey
4. Code Geass
5. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's;
6. Gargantia
7. Clannad: The After Story

I really regret not posting some of my impressions of some of these shows in the thread when I saw them for the first time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I don't get a vote.
Izayoi gets 20.

---

Gargantia OVA1
1ukfMnTl.jpg

A great world building episode that reminds me of when the show was good. Of course, then I remember the mess that was the last 4 episodes. :(

---

Seitokai no Ichizon OVA
I think the budget for this episode must have eclipsed the show because they managed to spend most of the episode outside of the student council room. :p
d8qD97vl.jpg

IbHfyjel.jpg

Lost of Valentines day chocolate related jokes, but this reverse-double-tsundere-but-not-tsundere gag was probably the one that got me to chuckle.

Welp, almost caught up to everything I missed!

Articalys

I went ahead and dug up more stats for 2012, because why the hell not. Here's the distribution of how many votes each person had on their ballot, out of 183 overall:
Number of ballots with: said:
10 votes - 48.63% (89)
9 votes - 2.73% (5)
8 votes - 2.19% (4)
7 votes - 6.01% (11)
6 votes - 4.37% (8)
5 votes - 7.65% (14)
4 votes - 6.56% (12)
3 votes - 6.56% (12)
2 votes - 7.65% (14)
1 vote - 7.65% (14)
For comparison, from the Game of the Year 2012 thread (which is where I got the idea to compile them):
Ballot length
10 titles - 57.05% (550)
9 titles - 2.90% (28)
8 titles - 4.67% (45)
7 titles - 4.98% (48)
6 titles - 4.77% (46)
5 titles - 9.23% (89)
4 titles - 4.46% (43)
3 titles - 6.02% (58)
2 titles - 2.07% (20)
1 title - 3.84% (37)

Branduil

I think we should just keep the AotY thread as is. If we want a list that requires high intellect, we can also have an AnimeGAF list, but if we were to go that route, I think we should do something more interesting than the typical list of anime. We should have categories for stuff like best animation, best art direction, best sound design, etc.

jbug617

Banned
I think we should just keep the AotY thread as is. If we want a list that requires high intellect, we can also have an AnimeGAF list, but if we were to go that route, I think we should do something more interesting than the typical list of anime. We should have categories for stuff like best animation, best art direction, best sound design, etc.

that sounds good.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal II 117

Hopefully we are done with all this physical cheating against the heroes cause the villains are too crap to actually win with their children card game skills.

Digital hoarding is a real thing.

That's what websites are for. Good stuff can be archived on individuals drives so that way in the future we can't paint it as doujins always looked good and future ones are making a mockery of the past.

Granted fetishes could distort that and then there's fucking xray shots that exist for no reason.

Jarmel

Banned

That might be the way to go. There being a Neogaf AOTY and an AnimeGAF AOTY.

Noirulus

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures - 10, 11, 12 & 13

Warming up to the new JoJo. Love his cheeky personality. Sugita's voice acting is icing on the cake!

Santana fight was aight but I'm guessing the arc will get better. New OP is fabulous.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I've always wanted technical categories. Someone make it so, even if it's completely informal.

Crocodile

Why is everyone getting so bet out of shape over AOTY? Oh noes, the most "objectively" (whatever the hell that means) best animes may not win a popularity contest on the internet. Boo hoo?

Why is everyone getting so bet out of shape over AOTY? Oh noes, the most "objectively" (whatever the hell that means) best animes may not win a popularity contest on the internet. Boo hoo?

You mean this was serious?!

Well... I guess my sarcasm meter is broken then.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 25

iPX4LShkIGoLI.jpg

Being Jean is suffering.

Hmm, wasn't really a fan of how they did this episode. They tried to expand the manga material to make it more climactic, but I don't think it worked as well as the previous episode. There were some good moments, but it wasn't as well-animated, sharply directed, or interesting as the previous episode. It felt quite rushed. They also totally screwed up
the wall titan.
They should have ended the series on chapter 34 instead of 33, I think.

Ultimately, this series would be substantially improved if someone would edit it down to a couple of 2.5-hour movies.

Crocodile

A few posts were obvious hyperbole but plenty were pretty indistinguishable from authentic........silliness? My apologies, it can be hard to discern sarcasm on the internet.

CorvoSol

Legend of Galactic Heroes, obviously.

But space operas I dunno. Ass Fleet basically killed any interest I have in seeing an anime Space Opera.

One vote per waifu seems like a fair method.

Kincaido and Cajun to be the only deciding voters, then.

Dark Stalkers 1

I watched the really bad 90s dub and don't regret it for a minute. Morrigan is definitely best Dark Stalkers girl. Screw Felicia, not a fan of her AT ALL. Seeing Demitri as the villain is odd since my only exposure to him is Project X-Zone, where he's basically Dante's bitch. Speaking of, I kept hoping for Dante to pop up along the way, here. I should look up the Devil May Cry anime after I finish this.

Felicia is ugh, but what caught me off guard was seeing Lord Raptor look like, remotely human at first. Is that a thing? I thought he always had a mouth on his gut. Also before Project X-Zone I didn't know there were male characters in Night Warriors Dark Stalkers.

Morrigan wasn't Succubus enough for me. She was too serious, and this is what I get for having all my knowledge of her based entirely off of her interactions with Chun-Li.

Fights were simultaneously cool and stupid. Like, I seriously don't think they bothered to animate Morrigan drilling into the enemy, and instead just bounced her up and down, but not bounced her up and down in the good way. Apparently her no-bra actually provides support somehow and what am I even typing.

Anyway, Simon Belmont/Blade showed up and rescued Aerith Gainsborough from the Catholic Church after Adolf Hitler had left her there in the keeping of St. Nicholas. Also Catholimecha. It's a thing or something. I dunno, don't think about it too hard.

Monogatari Series Second Season - 13

Finally some much-needed character development for Nadeko. I'm hoping that maybe this arc will give me a bit more of an appreciation for her, like how Neko Black and Neko White did for Hanekawa (although Hanekawa was already higher up on my list anyway and is now my second favorite, and I'm not expecting the same thing for Nadeko).

And of course, Araragi continues to be a complete perv.
Nice appearance by Shinobu, too.

Oh my god, apparently Gerald from Anime World Order watched Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki (!!) at Otakon and then they recorded a podcast about it. Imma get me some popcorn, Jesus.

But damn, they showed Midori (aka "the one with the cute puppies") at Otakon. I wonder how many people walked out.

Thanks so much for posting this. I don't follow the podcast, but I'm fascinated by projects similar to Midori. I'd never heard of the film before so everything described was all new to me. Luckily(?), the whole short film is up on youtube with english subs, which led my curiosity to take over.

Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki

i7Ww2Fn7yLbAT.JPG

Despite all of the grotesque things that happen in the film, ugly is not a word I would use to describe it. The indoor and landscape environments are very detailed with good color work. The character designs are simple yet eerie. They reminded me of Junji Ito's work with their wide, expressive eyes and many noticeable strands of hair. For an animated work, there's not a large amount of movement going on; although, there are a few scenes here and there where the director (and sole animator involved), Hiroshi Harada, would animate emotional moments that really stand out from the pack. Some of these moments are drawn in disturbingly graphic detail while others that are as simple as a repeated motion of a scarf and hair blowing in the wind are equally as impressive given the scope of the project.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the story, but I do admire it for being as uncompromising as it is. Harada's supposedly faithful adaptation is a harrowing journey with a lot of pain and suffering. I don't even know if I think that Midori's journey and where she ends up is a satisfying one yet. But there are a number of scenes that I found to be powerful with the help of J.A. Seazer's music so the project was at least somewhat successful for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom