• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you seem to be leaving out of this whole discussion is:

Escuse but reading phoenix comment , he even agreed ( and i don't deny it ) that the scene was poorly done and then proceed to talk about how phobia happens and how the mind work IRL

So yeah the scene could have been done better but that doesn't change that the events in that scene are normal.

To me , it seems that some people are talking about that phobia and others are talking about the scene in question. 2 completly different things and shouldn't be mixed otherwise it'll be the regular Sao bickering when someone was obviously talking about the phobia itself and how the mind work.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Aldnoah.Zero Episode 3:

Yes, yes, the show is slowly yet steadily improving by the episode, but dear god, the MC really needs to develop an emotion other then Dull Surprise. Still the supporting cast is coming along fairly nicely even though I could do without Sazaku. That reminds me, this show overall just give me such a discount Code Geass vibe.

Barakamon 3

Thankfully the low quality of episode 2 seems to have been a temporary blip. We're back to sensible pacing and strong direction, with a nice relaxed atmosphere that fits with the rural setting. The characters have a chance to breathe and interact naturally, while the gags are given enough time to leave an impact. The pre OP scene with Naru acting all "grown up" because she can read some kana was particularly amusing, and had a great payoff. A sense of a small community, where everyone knows everyone else, was built up well by scenes such as in the country store and the mochi-picking at the end. There were some particularly creative visuals as well. Perhaps Masaki Tachibana should storyboard all the episodes.

SAO II Ep.3: Mmmm, well I expected as much!

Also a friend just linked me this, holy sheet Toei what are ya guys doing? You have an extra week too!

Hmm you'd think with a show like Sailor Moon Crystal that has an infinite number of places to legally watch it you wouldn't need to use sites like that to watch it

Chariot

Hmm you'd think with a show like Sailor Moon Crystal that has an infinite number of places to legally watch it you wouldn't need to use sites like that to watch it
And even if not, why just lazily screenshot the whole desktop and not cut it out. It's really not so much of work.
i love shinon

isnt it obvious
So sad she is stuck in SAO. I really like her design, too.
It's pretty embarrassing when a show is legally uploaded to youtube and people still feel the need to pirate it
Like a certain group of gamers, animefans has a large group of people who just don't want do anything legal or even pay a penny for their hobby. It's mindboggeling. I can understand that some are shocked by the prices of physical releases, but Crunchyroll and co. aren't that bad of a deal.

wonzo

Banned
guys pls leave sao alone
qq.gif

Sidonia early on is kinda dismal but it's gold once it fully shifts into a harem romcom.
I still haven't got up to that stuff yet. ._.

i blame slowly catching up on wan pisu instead

Superflat

SAO episode 2

It was alright. It feels oddly like a superfluous Hollywood action sequel, which is kind of novel to be honest.

I think I'm resigned to the thought that no SAO story is going to be able to even touch the Aincrad arch, so I'm not expecting it to be as good as that (and it definitely isn't so far). Looking at a white screen is better than the Fairy Dance Arc, so this one is currently somewhere in-between.

The freak-out scene after the flashback made me laugh out loud. Reminded me of this:

shock-o.gif

It just went on too long. And why were her pants off? Anyway--

There's something about Sinon's irl friend. The OP makes it seem like he's Deathgun, so I'm gonna follow that red herring.

So it seems Aldonoah Zero is now legitimately good around here judging from the impressions.

Guess I'll dive into it when I'm finished my Eureka Seven run. Because Lord knows once I'm really into a mecha show it's hard for me to back out and start another one.

I really wish SAO didn't go in this direction. Some of the comments here cross the line from mocking SAO to mocking metal illness.

How is that SAO's fault? I am not the biggest SAO fan here but I fail to see how people mocking mental illness (which is a crappy thing to do) is the fault of a show trying to tackle said issue.

Chariot

I really wish SAO didn't go in this direction. Some of the comments here cross the line from mocking SAO to mocking metal illness.
Eh, I don't think it's bad to mock a bad narrative. Thing is that the gun trauma is weird by itself, but the triggerin via a fingergun is super weird. Like you are afraid of dogs and freak out if somebody does that:

I didn't watch the episode, completely talking out of my ass here.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There's at least three legal streams for Sailor Moon: Crystal and new episodes aren't even delayed. Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Niconico.
None of these are 720p for free users, unless I'm missing something on Nico. And Hulu won't even scale subs when you blow up the window. Why ask the question of why someone would pirate these things when the free streaming experience is of such a poor quality?

Free! ES 1-2 & Samurai Jam 1-2

Caught up on both, found them enjoyable.

Seijuro's brother in Free! is a poor substitute for the Captain, but at least he's got good taste in swimwear. Sousuke on the otherhand is awesome. The part where he confronts Haruka was intense.

The pacing of Samurai Jam is odd, but the characters are really endearing. (Even the drummer, who I did not anticipate liking), but why are my favorite characters always on the sidelines? (Seijuro from Free! and Kondo in Samurai Jam... :/)

Izana went full girl a while back. It was Nihei basically admitting that the third gender stuff wasn't well thought out.
I guess that is true. Izana hardly gave off the impression she was anything but a girl. I guess on a certain level you could argue "How do you know what a third gender person would act like? But eh, I'm over thinking this since the third gender business means so little.

How is that SAO's fault? I am not the biggest SAO fan here but I fail to see how people mocking mental illness (which is a crappy thing to do) is the fault of a show trying to tackle said issue.
Because it's SAO people think it gives them the freedom to mock anything and everything about it. Since one of the character's has a deep seated trauma from her early childhood and it's portrayed poorly it is getting highly criticized. However some of the criticism is straying from "HAHA SAO" to "HAHA mental problems". Perhaps I'm overly sensitive but that is what it's coming across as.

None of these are 720p for free users, unless I'm missing something on Nico. And Hulu won't even scale subs when you blow up the window. Why ask the question of why someone would pirate these things when the free streaming experience is of such a poor quality?

I for one don't need HD for streaming video. If I want HD, I will buy the Blu-rays. Just making the legal streaming sites available for those not in the know.

Oh, and the first episode is viewable in 1080p for free members on Crunchyroll.

Mahouka Episode 16

That was a great episode, I really enjoyed it. Seeing Tatsuya flipping everywhere while shooting down those magic circles was nice. There was definitely a lot of pew pew pew action going on, shooting each other. And we also got to see Leo and Mikihiko shine as well taking down Cardinal George and the other player. The OST was so good like I really need it. I really can't wait till the Yokohama arc that's when we will get more Tatsuya action.

The ending so good especially seeing Tatsuya seem like he's saying, get on my level.

Because it's SAO people think it gives them the freedom to mock anything and everything about it. Since one of the character's has a deep seated trauma from her early childhood and it's portrayed poorly it is getting highly criticized. However some of the criticism is straying from "HAHA SAO" to "HAHA mental problems". Perhaps I'm overly sensitive but that is what it's coming across as.

Personally I thought it was portrayed fine. There are many other things in episode 3 people could've shaken their head at (like the nurse) but people went after Sinon's mental illness because "it's fun to mock anything SAO". So no I don't blame the show.

sonicmj1

It's about how it's portrayed in the show, not about the idea of a gun phobia on its own.

See Narm, the trope whose namesake comes from a scene with a guy having a stroke.

Vylash

The main problem is how shitty the toei subs are

Mokoi

Banned
Like a certain group of gamers, animefans has a large group of people who just don't want do anything legal or even pay a penny for their hobby. It's mindboggeling. I can understand that some are shocked by the prices of physical releases, but Crunchyroll and co. aren't that bad of a deal.

Isn't the main argument to justify pirating is that the subs are shit?

Jex

Mocking mental illness? The only thing being mocked is SAO's complete inability to be taken seriously or to attempt to convey anything with weight or gravitas. The series lost that right long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom