• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive, the inFamous sequel Second Son should’ve been

Bgamer90

Banned
Same way I feel about this 81 rated Sunset Overdrive. Both games have almost identical scores(80 and 81), but you would think Sunset Overdrive was a 90+ one of the best games ever made according to many on here. Clearly it just has a rabid fanbase on here, like many of those Platinum games.

Haha, had to bring metacritic scores in? People simply have different opinions.

HUELEN10

They are both different games, but Sunset is clearly Insomniac's greatest game ever, and it beats Second Som hands down from what I've played from both.

Sorry. first light is what second son should of been.

Infamous shooting is shit and will always be shit.

The only thing that feels like shooting a gun is....shooting a gun.

First light, with increased focus on melee allowed the whole premise to shine.

Also neon dash>>>>>>Every cole and deslin traversal mechanic combined.
No. Nothing in the Infamous universe does beat the bat swarm traversal of FOB so far.

I havent played Infamous SS for more than a few hours but Sunset Overdrive is awesome. I had the game before I owned an Xbox One. One of the most fun games I've played and one of the best soundtracks in a while as well.

I only played the infamous games on PS3, and really liked them. SO would be great, but it's annoying as hell for me that you have to always be on the move on a rail or jump around crazy... I can see why ppl love it cause it's fun, but I can't enjoy it the way it wants me to play.

Haha, had to bring metacritic scores in? People simply have different opinions.

Yeah I thought it was appropriate. Nothing against SO, but the scores don't match the praise. Individual opinions and all, but no other game with that "low" of a score gets praised nearly as much. Which would be fine on its own, but when it touted as vastly superior experience to another very similarly rated game(that I happen to like) I just had to bring it up.

Torment

Banned
Probably my favorite game this generation so far, was disappointed the MP didn't have a bigger following. It was an absolute blast.

Pinkish Phoenix

Neo Member
The game has way more mission variety and way better side content than Infamous SS. Like, it's no contest in those regards. It sounds like you just had a problem with the game's style of humor and dismissed it as a whole based on that.

No contest to you maybe, but in the race between Sunset Overdrive and Infamous I chose the latter. Variety doesn't automatically mean I'm going to enjoy something, and "way better side content" is completely subjective.

It sounds like you just had a problem with the game's style of humor and dismissed it as a whole based on that.

No the humor was not my only problem, I already mentioned my problems in my comment. I could have been more detailed with the "From the art style to the dialouge" bit but that was basically to point out that this game ticked absolutely no boxes for me, it's rare, but it happens. I choose to focus on the hypocrisy of the game because it's a unique negative trait that most bad games don't have. But it's not my only problem with the game, and even if it was and I put down the game because of it, that would be completely valid. Games do not exist in a vacuum, they are the sum of their parts and if something is bothering me in a game to the point where I can't enjoy it then I will "dismiss" that game. Every single time.

Warxard

Banned
Yeah I thought it was appropriate. Nothing against SO, but the scores don't match the praise. Individual opinions and all, but no other game with that "low" of a score gets praised nearly as much. Which would be fine on its own, but when it touted as vastly superior experience to another very similarly rated game(that I happen to like) I just had to bring it up.

a lot of people praise God Hand and it has shitty reviews

Which is dumb because that game is awful, but I digress

Do you have anything contributive to bring up regarding the gameplay of inFamous and/or Sunset or are you just shitposting

blackflag

I know people love the game but I can't get into it. After playing like 3 hours or so the first couple of days at release, I can't seem to play it for more than about 15 minutes without getting bored. I'm not sure why to be honest. It doesn't seem bad, just can't keep my interest. I think Souls games ruined me.

It's a flawed game for sure but the things it does well it does really well. Bringing up the score alone doesn't really tell the whole story here.

farisr

I'm glad Second Son wasn't like Sunset Overdrive. They should be their own separate things. If I feel like playing an inFAMOUS game, I'm not looking to play a game like Sunset Overdrive, and vice-versa.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

this is a ridiculous argument in many ways.

Consider (and not saying these are the reviews of SO vs Infamous... this is purely an example).

A game that gets 50 reviews scoring 100, and 50 reviews scoring 60.
Vs
a game with 100 reviews scoring 80

Both average a 80. One has lots of people that love it (along with many that didn't care for it), the other has a lot of folks that thought it was good.

Point is, comparing averages alone will never help you determine the upper/lower bounds of the data points.

This gen NeoGAF favours the PS4, it's no secret (and there's no hivemind innuendo here: it's a byproduct of PS4's sales).

And given I:SS is a) a great game and b) a tremendous looking game, reactions here are going towards Sucker Punch's game.

I've yet to dwell on the intricacies of SO (it's still sealed on my shelf, lol) but I already know that I'll like Infamous more in the end, by the virtue of its simplicity alone.

I'm old. And I don't have time to learn new moves. xD

Warxard

Banned
This gen NeoGAF favours the PS4, it's no secret (and there's no hivemind innuendo here: it's a byproduct of PS4's sales).

And given I:SS is a) a great game and b) a tremendous looking game, reactions here are going towards Sucker Punch's game.

I've yet to dwell on the intricacies of SO (it's steal sealed on my shelf, lol) but I already know that I'll like Infamous more in the end, by the virtue of its simplicity alone.

I'm old. And I don't have time to learn new moves. xD

At least you're honest about it.

I've enjoyed the Infamous games a fair bit more than I did Sunset Overdrive. I was really looking forward to the game, but the dumb comedy and the gameplay just didn't click with me. Love the music though.

this is a ridiculous argument in many ways.

Consider (and not saying these are the reviews of SO vs Infamous... this is purely an example).

A game that gets 50 reviews scoring 100, and 50 reviews scoring 60.
Vs
a game with 100 reviews scoring 80

Both average a 80. One has lots of people that love it (along with many that didn't care for it), the other has a lot of folks that thought it was good.

Point is, comparing averages alone will never help you determine the upper/lower bounds of the data points.

jstevenson delivering the smackdown!

Top Bottom