• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive, the inFamous sequel Second Son should’ve been

(warning, wall of text below)

Recently got an XB1 and Sunset Overdrive was one of the exclusives I always wanted to check out. Little did I know I would not only love the game, but that it would actually turn out to be everything I wanted in a current-gen inFamous game.

Now, before I get into the main topic (why SO is so good and why it was so much better than Second Son), I should preface by saying I (almost) 100%’ed both games. Got the platinum for Second Son, the plat for the First Light DLC, and 100%’ed Sunset Overdrive vanilla (haven’t gone through the DLC sadly). I also beat the previous two inFamous games and I really enjoyed both, so I consider myself a fan of that series.

Now, onto Sunset. I really did not think the game was going to be like inFamous at all. I expected a third person shooter with some fun traversal options and I did get exactly that, but the way it structured its entire gameplay and movement, it reminded me of inFamous more and more. For those who don’t know, Sunset has a sort of “parkour” system where you can jump high, grind across street and rooftop handrails, bounce off a bunch of different objects, run across walls, etc. You may notice most of these are “supernatural”. You can grind uphill as long as you want, you can dash across the air, wall-run infinitely, pick up speed by pressing Right Bumper whenever you want, bounce off objects super high distances, ski across water, etc. When I grasped how unrealistic the traversal options were the Playable Character felt more and more like a superhero, and that’s where the inFamous comparisons in my head began.

ibiiIUstQCYBTw.gif

One may also think “but inFamous is a superhero game and SO is a third person open-world shooter!”, well yes and no. Aside from the traversal options being much closer to inFamous than they are to GTA, inFamous’s combat is also largely based off of third person shooters themselves. In my opinion I think it was eventually to its detriment. In inFamous you have regular “pistol” shots, your shotgun-blast shots, your “sniper” shots, your grenades, your rockets, etc. etc., it’s just that visually they were all made to look like “superhero powers”. I can see why Sucker Punch felt the need to have those weapon “archetypes” in inFamous 1, since going nuts with powers may have confused players as to how they worked, and making a game function closer to a shooter than a completely new style of third person action game would’ve felt like an insurmountable effort. But even by the time we got to Second Son we still had gameplay that by and large followed the third-person shooter formula.

Anyway, back to Sunset Overdrive, it turns out that many of the weapons and the way they work end up feeling pretty similar to inFamous’s “powers”. Of course, Sunset doesn’t disguise these as superhero powers, but they’re all the same kooky variations of traditional weapons. Thematically these weapons are very different from inFamous’s “powers”, but gameplay-wise they actually functioned quite closely. Much like in inFamous, Sunset Overdrive’s combat is highly dependent on movement. Second Son was the game with the fastest combat in the series, largely because the traversal options let you move across vast amounts of space. Sunset Overdrive embeds the combat with the traversal HARD. It makes a point of telling you over and over that you HAVE to grind, bounce, jump, and move all over if you want to survive enemy encounters. Tying the traversal so closely with the combat I feel is one of the biggest reasons why I was reminded of inFamous.

0oMr2RX.gif

However, Sunset Overdrive doesn’t just FEEL like an inFamous game, I dare to say it’s actually better than the last inFamous title. I’m probably going to catch flak for this, but hear me out.

First is the traversal options. This is the BIG one. Despite being a massive fan of the inFamous series, I actually felt like the traversal options in Second Son were not that great. “What are you talking about??” I’m sure people will say, “Neon was SO COOL!”. Well yeah, it was cool in paper, but in execution it was actually a pretty detrimental thing to the game as a whole. You see, inFamous cut its teeth in “parkour”-esque traversal. You unlocked powers that not only made you powerful, but gave you abilities to travel across the city farther and faster. At first you unlocked grinding across power lines and train rails, but then later you also were able to gently float downward while you kept your horizontal speed. This combined with other powers (like the ice launch jump in inFamous 2) let you move faster and more gracefully. The longer you played the more you FELT like a badass superhero zipping across a metropolis.

With Neon you...pressed O. Forever. No longer did you have to jump off a huge building and immediately start looking for the next powerline you can zip across. No longer did you quickly scan your surroundings to ensure you jumped across buildings without falling to the ground. No longer did you go around a building because it was far taller and climbing it would’ve slowed you down. No longer did you need to pay attention your surroundings to figure out the best way to traverse the city while keeping your momentum. With Neon you ran up walls, across the air, in the ground, in the rooftops, ANYWHERE, and you never had to worry about slowing down. For all the flak that Assassin’s Creed gets for having auto-traversal, Second Son’s Neon was far, far worse. Video was just about the same, you just needed to press O more often and fly through the area (although needing to find satellites that launched you in the air was slightly more fun). Smoke was the best of all, since that was the only power that had you actually look at where you were going and look for building architecture, finding exhaust fumes through which to teleport to the top of buildings and launch you further up in the air. Concrete was about the same as Neon except you couldn’t run up walls. But despite the fact that you had four different traversal systems, Neon was by far the fastest way of getting around. It was pointless to use any other kind, especially Smoke, even though Smoke was the best designed system in terms of gameplay. Once you unlocked continuous run for Neon, all sense of traversal went out the window.

Sunset Overdrive goes the complete opposite direction. There is NO “easy way” of traversing (unless you wanna count fast travel), no ability that lets you just skip everything else. You constantly have to use multiple movies if you want to get to where you want to go the fastest. And despite the fact that traversal is one of the things you do over and over throughout the game, it just never gets old. It’s not super complicated to get the basic gist of it down, but keeping up a fast momentum and not breaking a traversal combo becomes a mini-game of its own. Sometimes I kept a combo going just because I could, just to see if I could go from point A to point B miles apart without dropping the traversal “combo” (the game counts each move and displays the combo number on the top right, and resets if you touch the ground without doing a move). I felt like I was getting better at vaulting over stuff, zipping across lines, and bouncing off objects with every passing hour. Every time I played I got a bit better at timing the grinds, at deciding whether to grind across a billboard vs. jumping over it, I learned to climb up buildings by wall-running and jumping off the wall-run repeatedly, etc. etc. I rarely ever fast-traveled because I just wanted to do the parkour, which is always the best compliment one can give a game: doing something not for an achievement, or for a collectible, or for some number to go up, but doing it purely just for fun.

The other major way I felt Sunset Overdrive outdid Second Son was in content and enemy variety. Second Son very obviously suffered from being a launch title, so ambition had to be kept at a minimum. That meant no sidequests, minimum amounts of collectibles, and just very few things to do outside of the main campaign. Sunset Overdrive, by contrast, has quite a lot to offer. Sidequests, tons of different types of collectibles strewn around (more like Blash Shards in inFamous 1 and 2 and thankfully not at all like the shards inside drones in Second Son), challenges that include weapon challenges, traversal challenges, etc. Not everything is a hit, some of the challenges are better designed than others, but generally they’re really fun and provide enough of a respite from the main story missions that it keeps things varied. Second Son’s dearth of collectibles mixed in with really simplistic traversal options made for a very empty open world, to the point where I’m hesitant to even call it an open-world game. Sunset ample amount of collectibles, sidequests, challenges, and collectibles, and traversal options, in contrast, keeps your attention for far longer in a city that’s a lot more fun to run through. Enemy variety was also a big change. Whereas Second Son had only a handful of enemies, Sunset had three different classes of enemies (OD aka zombies, Scabs aka humans, and Fizzbots aka robots and mechs), each with their own enemy types, behaviors, strengths, weaknesses, etc., etc. I only wish they would mix in the three different types of enemies more often. Sometimes you come across one group of enemies of one class fighting another group of another class while you’re running around the open world, but I don’t think I ever found myself fighting all three classes at once.

Finally, there’s the story missions. In terms of actual story, I don’t think either game is strong. Second Son’s story definitely tried harder at being a compelling narrative, whereas Sunset Overdrive was a lot more about being a means-to-an-end for gameplay scenarios, but both stories ended up kind of falling flat toward the end of their respective narratives. If I had to choose I’d pick Second Son simply because of its ambition, whereas Sunset, by its own admission, was lighthearted and just winged it.

In terms of the gameplay of story missions, though, I do have to give it to Sunset Overdrive. There WERE a lot of missions that kind of repeated on previous ideas, but there was actually a surprising amount of new and fun content thrown at you. It even had a few boss encounters that worked REALLY well, and it threw in a couple of platforming sections that are only rivaled by inFamous 1 (2 and Second Son really dropped the ball in the platforming…). My favorite encounter for Sunset was easily the giant Fizzie balloon that shoots lasers and rockets at you while you grind through thin curved rods across a very tall building. There is NO solid ground here, you have to constantly keep moving and bouncing on radio tower drum...things (I forget what they’re called) to stun the boss and wail on him with your weapons from a very high altitude. It mixed platforming and combat in such a great way and was so over the top that it was only rivaled by some of the bosses in inFamous 1.

Sunset-Overdrive-gif.gif

So, in the interest of not making an even bigger wall of text, I want to conclude by saying that Sunset Overdrive is the inFamous sequel I always wanted, especially so after having played Second Son. I really hope Sucker Punch makes another inFamous sequel and takes notes on what Insomniac did, because SS would end up being a very bad note to go out on IMO. Sunset Overdrive manages to do open world third person action zaniness with really compelling traversal options and fun combat.

And now let's ponder on "Cole MacGrath vs. Excalamume" fanfiction
ys7C3mw.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
nah......I'm pretty happy with what I got in Second Son. I also liked the halfway serious nature with second son with sunset being balls to the walls insane.

I liked sunset overdrive.....but couldn't play it all the way through. I got bored and the multiplayer really just felt tacked in.

It's not cole mcgrath so a lot of electrical traversal moves are gone. Instead, there are a lot of other cool traversal moves.

Let infamous be infamous, and let Sunset Overdrive be Sunset Overdrive. Glad you liked it enough to compare them!

EthanC

Banned
I thought SS was an awful game. Sunset Overdrive started off kinda slow, but once it got going it was light years better than SS. Wish it wasn't an exclusive so more people could play it.

R3TRODYCE

Sunset Overdrive was so mediocre which is sad because I loved the art style. I did enjoy I:SS though but not the DLC they put out.

Illucio

Banned
I need to buy the game and play it when my step brother comes over because he brings over his Xbox One every time.

I want to play this game so bad. DAMM YOU INSOMNIAC FOR ABANDONING SONY JUST TO MAKE THIS ONE GAME FOR XBOX.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Really fun game, woulda liked it more were it not for the incredibly forced humour. Have there been any firm mentions of a sequel?

i liked infamous ss

I liked Infamous more....

All junior members too?

18.jpg

On topic, I haven't played Sunset Overdrive due to not having an Xbone but it does look like a lot of fun. Overall I enjoyed Second Son but I wish they kept power switching to the d-pad and just had more content. Also concrete should have been fleshed out more. Delsin gets the "character I thought I would hate but ended up enjoying" award of the gen for me.

i've played sunset and all infamous games... and I have to disagree

sunset overdrive is quite different mechanically and stylistically and doesn't really work as an infamous game for me

I can't say I agree with the comparison (nor the result, I liked SS more then Sunset) but Sunset was a fantastic surprise for me.

It was really fun doing some of the challenges and trying to get to the top of the (regional?) leaderboards. I got to #1 in one of the challenges for like 5-10 minutes, lol. Ended up falling down to #2-3 afterwards. I think they were the highlight of the game for me, as they contained the strongest parts of the gameplay. Everything else was kind of weak.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm pretty happy with Second Son for a inFAMOUS sequel.

inFAMOUS is not Sunset Overdrive please.

BTW why people has these dumb ideas? Both games are great for what they are.

ps3ud0

SO ideas would make a great offshoot to Infamous like how they did the Festival of Blood DLC. I dont think SO as it was fitted thematically into Infamous, but then again I dont think I:SS did the franchise justice either...

ps3ud0 8)

I bought an Xbox One primarily for MCC and Sunset Overdrive.

Both seriously let me down. I thought SO was weak at best, and the 4th-wall breaking stuff had me cringing constantly.

Opinions and all that.

Second Son suffered from having jack shit to do. Sunset Overdrive had plenty of side things/challenges. I guess the upside of Second Son is that it had that cool web based side mission you had to use your browser.

NIGHT-

Totally agree! One of the best games this gen

Infamous ss is one of the most soulless, boring, and repetitive open world game I've played. None of the past infamous games were great, but this one was down right mediocre.

Cidd

After playing and finishing both hell no.

Sunset overdrive controls were fun while it lasted but the game got boring, repetitive and cringeworthy as it goes on.

Infamous SS was the same, The characters were alright, less cringy than Sunset Overdrive and in the end I liked it more.

I can't say I agree with the comparison (nor the result, I liked SS more then Sunset) but Sunset was a fantastic surprise for me.

It was really fun doing some of the challenges and trying to get to the top of the (regional?) leaderboards. I got to #1 in one of the challenges for like 5-10 minutes, lol. Ended up falling down to #2-3 afterwards. I think they were the highlight of the game for me, as they contained the strongest parts of the gameplay. Everything else was kind of weak.

Same here. I was still ranked in the top 20 of one of the challenges last time I checked.

Good game. I didn't love it enough to replay it though. The mechanics do get a bit repetitive.

FelipeMGM

I like Second Son a lot, but I agree that Sunset Overdrive is better. Its more fun at most of the time. Both games are awesome

Too bad we prob wont see SO anymore, I wonder if this was a PS4 exclusive instead would have done better. But maybe without MS the game would not even exist.

With work I haven't been able to get back and finish Sunset Overdrive yet, but it's definitely a much better game than Second Son was. That was obvious very early on.

Luke_Wal

This is really the number one reason I want an Xbox One. Game looks sweet, and I really hope the sequel comes to PS4 as well.

I agree that Sunset Overdrive feels like Infamous in the ways you described. Even when I played Infamous 1 back in the day, I always thought each power fit a gun archetype.

Not sure how someone who has played both (or at least read your OP) can say they're nothing alike. They have similar gameplay feels for sure.

GHG

I enjoyed Infamous far more. Granted I only played the free trail of SS Overdrive on my Xbox one.

But beyond anything else, this comparison is so so stupid. The 2 franchises/games are not similar enough to be compared like this.

Courage

I agree with you that it blows inFamous out of the water mechanically. I also found that its aesthetic appealed to me more, since it's rare to see such colorful open worlds in a AAA game nowadays. While inFamous: SS looks gorgeous, its realistic take of Seattle didn't do much for me other than admire the neon lights at night.

I only played about an hour of it, but I cringed at the quality of writing and voice acting. None of this shit is funny.

Although maybe just the section I played was shitty.

Madness

I need to buy the game and play it when my step brother comes over because he brings over his Xbox One every time.

I want to play this game so bad. DAMM YOU INSOMNIAC FOR ABANDONING SONY JUST TO MAKE THIS ONE GAME FOR XBOX.

Do you even know why Insomniac developed Sunset Overdrive or why the game came on Xbox One? It was because Insomniac was fed up of not being in control of their IP's. They finally wanted to make a game where they would get to keep what they created with the studio and not be forced to make sequel after sequel if they didn't want to.

Additionally, Microsoft was the only company willing to pay Insomniac to not only develop this new IP but let them keep all rights to it. They also paid for the development. So no, Insomniac didn't abandon Sony, nor should they be damned for going Xbox One. Blame the other console manufacturers or publishers for not giving Insomniac what they wanted to make the game.

aravuus

I doubt I'll love the game, but now that we've finally got an Xbone in the apartment, I'll definitely give it a try some day

Top Bottom