• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more so on the side of what would you like to see me play of yours. I enjoy pretty much anything that's not a kaizo type of stage where it's immediate death upon spawn. That said, I don't mind difficult levels at hard, and I find it really rewarding if I'm able to complete them. (Gaf had some toughies yesterday.)

Not sure if you'll be able to beat mine on your stream, but hopefully you have enough fun with it that you'll want to go back to it. It doesn't have any BS like kaizo Mario, but a lot of tough jumps.

Heropon

I present my new level.

Assault on the Sky Fortress

jj03May.jpg

ID: 7A44-0000-0066-81B1

Bowser Jr. has stolen all the spaghetti in the Mushroom Kingdom and it's time for revenge by destroying his biggest possession. The toad squad has confirmed the airship's location at the peak of a nearby mountain and Mario is going to climb it to reach his goal. Help him in an adventure with multiple paths and power-ups while defeating some of his most hated foes.

After all the effort put into this level I think I'm going to play more levels from the community to help them getting stars. I'd love some feedback about the difficulty and the item placement to know how to get better.

Kyzon

Not sure if you'll be able to beat mine on your stream, but hopefully you have enough fun with it that you'll want to go back to it. It doesn't have any BS like kaizo Mario, but a lot of tough jumps.

Sounds good to me. I usually give stages about 10 tries to make sure I'm still going through the list and not staying in one place. :D

<3 At the comments. I probably could maybe make it so the Red Koopa doesn't hit the player upon exiting that door. But there's a rhyme and reason to why it's so heavily guarded. It's a shortcut! But also to teach you, do not follow arrows in my level.

While SixFortyFive made the same comment about "When did Boo have a Haunted Lab" lol. I figured it'd be a neat theme while I was playing around with gigantic enemies. So it's kinda like an abandoned lab filled with monstrosities or so the theme goes. But thats why you see vines all over the level as well. Maybe more like Boo's Garden or Greenhouse would have been better? In any case Thanks for Playing!

I was actually commenting on the surprisingly large number of labs that Boo seems to own. I garnered this information from looking at your uploaded courses. By my reckoning, he owns at least 5.

I'm more so on the side of what would you like to see me play of yours. I enjoy pretty much anything that's not a kaizo type of stage where it's immediate death upon spawn. That said, I don't mind difficult levels at hard, and I find it really rewarding if I'm able to complete them. (Gaf had some toughies yesterday.)
Just a heads up, my level (Mario's Secret) is more of a short "story" level. There is definitely some stuff you can do, but the focus in on the narrative.

Might want to play it between longer, tougher levels as a "break" of sorts.

kiryogi

Banned
I was actually commenting on the surprisingly large number of labs that Boo seems to own. I garnered this information from looking at your uploaded courses. By my reckoning, he owns at least 5.

LOL yeah several revisions. I need to delete some XD BTW if you thought that was hard, the !!!! revision was the worst.

Kyzon

Just a heads up, my level (Mario's Secret) is more of a short "story" level. There is definitely some stuff you can do, but the focus in on the narrative.

Might want to play it between longer, tougher levels as a "break" of sorts.

You gave me a great idea! I'll add a difficulty tab :D

Thanks.

1696-0000-0066-8FF4

Very simple course I designed to play like the original Mario Bros. Simply titled "Tunnel Run 1." Also my first Mario Maker creation. Give it a try a tell me what you think! Hint below for those that want it:

Focus on moving quickly. There's a couple of sections in this level that punish you for hanging around too long!

All my levels play with the idea of vertically in one way or another. I was trying to think of stuff you didn't see in the original SMB. Obviously you got a bucket load in SMB2 but that's my remit for most of my levels.

Cannon Canyon A2FD-0000-004B-DEB1
This level sends the player down behind a path clearing shell and over a gulch patrolled by Bullet Bills before enter another downward maze that leads to a music block rise to the goal. No one but me and my friends have beat it yet.

Up Down Funk C5B6-0000-004B-E07B
This level has the trappings of Cannon Canyon but is actually my first real build on Mario Maker. I uploaded it after Cannon Canyon and it is my best received level thus far. Again it sends the player up and down a vertical maze where patient, measured jumps and platforming is key.

Puzzle Path 8DF5-0000-0059-C47B
And I unlocked doors. A level with the option to explore some small branching paths for little suprises.

Twisting Towers 98B0-0000-005A-08BB
Liking the alliteration? It stops after this one.
My first Castle level. I again hammer home the vertical themes with a cramped maze that requires you to trigger Thwomps in order to clear your path of Bowser and his cronies.

Renting Clown Cars 4CF1-0000-005C-875E
Taking an idea I play with in both Puzzle Path and Twisting Towers - the temporary use of Bowsers Clown Car - I made my first SMW build that is probably my largest and favourite map. It has vertical mazes, open flying stages and a boss at the end. Some time wasting doors and hidden power ups too.

Trick Step Stronghold CD0D-0000-0066-107F
The alliteration returns, sorry. With a SM3 skin I build a ghost house with no ghosts. As the name suggests expect the unexpected and don't go too fast even if the timer is running down. I don't like doing cheap deaths in my maps but caution is advised. Look at a room before you try anything.

Driving an Automatic F124-0000-0066-728F
As the name suggests, this is my first and only hands off level. It has some lovely loops and recycling of locations and deployed objects that make for a pleasurable and short cruise through the Mushroom Kingdom.

Feedback and Stars will be much appreciated.

I finished a run of 100 Mario Expert last night. By the end I was getting into a habit of simply pausing a level right away in case I saw something that would kill me straight off the bat.

As problematic as it is (people trolling other levels with bad reviews), I still find myself wishing there was a way to "negative star" levels or something.

Title: Into the depths
ID: 71B0-0000-0066-8051

NNID: tshadowknight

Description:
Mario goes to hell, literally.
Mushroom Kingdom lore speaks of a wretched place where Koopa and Goomba go to pay for their sins. "That's-a load-a balony!" Mario had always thought, but after a wrong turn while pipe diving our mustached hero suddenly finds himself in exactly such a place. Will he be able to make it out?

Features:
-3 one-ups to collect
-meet Cerberus, gate keeper of the underworld
-kill or save the animals

Difficulty: Easy-Medium

et voilà!

3486-0000-0066-1BD5

:)

WVW69iauyaAH-jdDmc

Very fun, I first went to the right trying to catch the power up, guess I fell in the trap!

That's mine! :D

P5jp6pb.png

3nhQQBr.jpg

To do this you need the 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo, to scan in to create mega mushrooms.

There are a lot of other weird changes it makes. Most of them are just Mario mustaches and caps added to enemies. Red koopa troopas wear their caps backwards!

Bowser has the princess riding on his back and Bowser Jr. has Luigi riding on his back (which I forgot to put into my level). I also just found out that red cannons and bill shooters fire Toad instead of Luigi!

You can download my level if you just want to play with it yourself, but you won't be able to upload a level derived from another user's.

That's a strange experience. I had fun though. Maybe I should unseal my mario amiibo to see what it does.
I liked the mario Kameks!

I made a few levels,

YOSHI'S TRAGIC LIFE
Because you can't cook an omelette without breaking eggs.
Simple platforming involving animal cruelty.

HIGHWAY TO (S)HELL
I loved the tank stages from Mario 3's world 8 so I tried to make one of this kind. It might be quite tricky, so I hid a few secrets to help.

I finished a run of 100 Mario Expert last night. By the end I was getting into a habit of simply pausing a level right away in case I saw something that would kill me straight off the bat.

As problematic as it is (people trolling other levels with bad reviews), I still find myself wishing there was a way to "negative star" levels or something.

I try to console myself by laughing at the shitty names some people give their courses. Yes, I'm sad like that. Someone had named one of their course that I played last night "The King of KoopAmerica". I laughed hard and starred it. The level was shit.

Roo

how to play mahjong
WVW69iawFno-gQM6VY

BEE2-0000-0066-95B5
The bullet bill section was tricky but nothing impossible. Cool level. I just starred it :D

Btw, not sure if it was intentional or not but there are two saws that can't be avoided without taking a hit. I recommend to fix that as many will lose the mushroom way before that part rendering the rest of the level impossible.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
HIGHWAY TO (S)HELL

I loved the tank stages from Mario 3's world 8 so I tried to make one of this kind. It might be quite tricky, so I hid a few secrets to help.

Quoting so I can play this later, can't believe I hadn't thought of doing this yet as those are some of my favourite levels of all time.

What's the stage called?

ALSO, I'LL BE STREAMING IN ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF 2:00PM PACIFIC TIME.

Quote this post to find a link to the stage list, so you can add your stage. 1 per gaffer please.

I'm really only adding a couple that I missed last time to the list. Other than that, it's up to you to add yourself.

I'll be at www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming and I'll post again when I'm about to go live.

Just added my name and stage, hope I'm not too late. I put my level code on the same line as my name, hope that was Ok, I don't usually use the sheets app and couldn't find where else to put it. :/ Hope you enjoy my little Bubble Bobble tribute level. :)

Neki

Something in me just cannot star something I don't think is fun.
I am willing to critique though and I have starred I think 95% of what I played, ha ha.

But I do agree the star system is stupid. I got 90 and need 150 to get 30 levels.
There are some levels I've played that I didn't find fun but starred it regardless, I recognize that the effort is there, but the map is not for me. We all need more upload space though! Wish there was a better way.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What's the stage called?

ALSO, I'LL BE STREAMING IN ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF 2:00PM PACIFIC TIME.

Quote this post to find a link to the stage list, so you can add your stage. 1 per gaffer please.

I'm really only adding a couple that I missed last time to the list. Other than that, it's up to you to add yourself.

I'll be at www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming and I'll post again when I'm about to go live.

Done. As said already in the brief description, there are different ways to approach the level. Three, actually. Or maybe four. :p

CrisKre

Here is my first level post on GAF! Comments (and stars if you guys think are deserved) would be greatly appreciated!!

First level is:

Use that cape Super Mario!

(AC32-0000-0031-BBC4)

WVW69iYrNug5YEofSY

I am especially proud of the Bowser fight in this one. Ended up pretty exciting if I may say so myself! :p

Second level is:

Momma Bowser is Furious!

(2D84-0000-0066-05F7)

WVW69iauj28zrjBJuO

Wanted to try a few different gameplay ideas. It starts fairly typical but gets more difficult as it progresses, and I put in a few secrets in there to boot.

And to think even after this post there's still plenty of people I missed and that's just the last few pages....

I make Mario-ass Mario levels.

YUjkqkd.jpg

Chain Chomp Zoo
5AE2-0000-0030-E6D6

CRtQ0AF.jpg

Shell Dome
E489-0000-0046-D2E4

yLFmwIy.jpg

Fireproof Factory
FA27-0000-0061-B566

Fireproof Factory might be a little out there though.
Already tackled the glacier stage which was great so lets see what else you've got hiding up your sleeve...

Chain Chomp Zoo: (oh no, this might be better than my swinging snappers....) I mean yeah that was some great use of chomps and nothing but chomps without making them a pain to deal with, boxing in the early ones was a good move.

Shell Dome: Ack, a maze! after fumbling around I noticed the exterior path takes you past a room where a spiny shell drops in and it all became clear. Nice tightly designed stage that fits in with the occasional SMW style of puzzle like level design.
Also made me take note that spiny hats would have their benefit in vertical focused stages.

Fireproof Factory: (oh no, this might be better than my Buzzy Beetle stage....)
I loved witnessing the demise of the first giant buzzy when you enter the factory.
Well I think it's easier to just say this Gaffer knows what's he's doing, check his stuff out if you do indeed want some Mario Maker goodness.

Repost of complete utter shame..

My 'Gravity Manor' level continues to surprise me! People seem to really have enjoyed it and I am ecstatic about that! 25 stars of 49 plays

Gravity Manor
ID: C2FC-0000-0059-4C5C

I also retweaked my vine scroller saw dodging level! It's alot, ALOT more friendly now! Would love to hear new feedback!

Gripvine Canyon
ID: 6816-0000-005A-7BC3
Vine scroller saw dodging game of grip!
Gravity Manor was a good take on the duplicated stage concept, I liked thinking to myself "that fire flower just perished under another block, surely this designer wouldn't make such an oversight?", of course Owl, it was going to invert and that's how you knew a fire flower was there!

Gripvine Canyon: The saws were well placed so that you had to keep on shuffling to stay in the clear, 1st half was stronger than the 2nd I'd say.
Also as someone whose most recent stage was based on moving vines, I wish I'd thought of the way you set the first block off with the random shell.

Color-Coded Caverns (8ED7-0000-005D-D2E9)
Such good visual design, must've taken an age to plan this all out.
Quite possibly the most colourful cave stage in Mario History.

an unlikely elevator service - my second attempt at a vertical level. this time it's far more focused on that aspect. more or less exploring some ideas. yoshi/kuribo can actually help a lot with the feeling of 'going up' in interesting ways.

cee1-000-0064-317f

and a repost of 'a gozer the gozerian dilemma' which is the more fun of the two recent ones: 53bf-000-0060-576d

Elevator Service is like a tougher version of my SMB3 Tower stage, at least I now know for sure that your commitment to verticality is true as you say.
That Kuribo Heel flutter jump sound though...the horror.

a gozer the gozerian dilemma is the standout here, when I started it I was thinking "haven't I done this one before? and then realised it was an ambitious sequel stage.
It's also my favourite of your stages and its criminal how few plays it has, check this one out folks, at last someone makes use out of fire flower spin jumps, assuming you take that door.

A simple and easy new level !

WVW69iahTfA11JOVkk

Ballbreaker
C2A9-0000-0062-364C
Short and sweet, made me wish it was longer.

I made a (probably awful) airship level.
WVW69iaqcsMdsMikBj

CF2F-0000-0064-DC61

Really disappointed you can't seem to make actual airship boss fights.
the second airship in a row that left me wanting more, trust me though, this is far from awful.
Nice use of the blocks to create ship masts and you can bounce through this one at pace which is fun.

Sölf;179698525 said:
Reposting this, as I would like some feedback for this. It's a normal platformer, but pretty hard, endgame or special world difficulty I think.

The Iron Fleet
F005-0000-0061-99D2
Okay I'll admit after a few attempts I called it quits here, I think that there's a strong stage lurking in here but things were getting a touch too busy for me.
At points you're having to take in alternating flame jet patterns, wrenches and bullet bill leftovers on top of the actual bill blasters and rocky wrenches currently in view.
And by the nature of such things you'll bump into a stray wrench in the most random places.

Then there's the blaster that shoots bob ombs into the small tunnel that a rocky wrench already occupies as well as once again remnants of previous bill blasters and so on, I made the mistake of letting that bill blaster shoot out too many bob-ombs.

But it had some strong base design, so I'm thinking tone down the projectiles in places also...
- try to have the moving rail platform timed to be heading towards the player as they enter that area of the stage
- That one red koopa by the first mushroom block could probably be dropped, either that or have a bit more room to roam.

Tingle's Crazed Clown Coinland (90D2-0000-0065-57C1)

WVW69iasa28nfnADGW

The sequel everyone was waiting for, Freshly-Made.
AKA: Bumper Clown Cars
Karmic revenge here, money getting back at Tingle, that'll teach you for trying to make Wind Waker's acquisition of rupees have a worthwhile albeit expensive point"

#WigglerWednesday
E592-0000-0065-7CB9
There were Wigglers and it's still Wednesday here, no denying that.

For anybody willing to try it, can I get my level from a day or two ago examined? This might be the level that I make an easy version of (since I have no real idea for a new level atm): 49A8-0000-005A-4E4C
Well I just about made it through unscathed, if you were planning on toning things down I'd just say remove a few of the rocky wrenches in the final area.

Posting this for the new page. Hope it gets more people to try it out! So far the reception has been overwhelmingly positive! I'll be posting feedback on the levels a few pages back as well.

Rescue in Sky Fort!
I'm surprised I never thought of airship interior= Castle for an idea, probably the lava throwing me off.
Neat use of Yoshi, I liked how you double back when you get him to take an alt route.

Starred it! Died stupidly just at the end after the bonus area. Interesting concepts for obstacles. I'm going to use your reverse wine.
One complaint : too much waiting if you miss a wine!

Feel free to comment on mine! :)

BF98-0000-0059-D03C
Great autoscroller (this game has made me really enjoy fast autoscrollers).
Difficulty was better balanced than the previous SMP stages, I managed to get through without taking damage.

Nice use of what I like to call the SMB3 fast airship trick with the flame jets, it looked a bit more novel applied to islands and...cloud mass?

Airship of the Giants

WVW69ianmWw5dumSxP

Code: ED1B-0000-0064-1244

I hope you guys like it, feedback is always appreciated, hoping to get one level to take off and get 150 stars so I can get those extra 10 upload slots lol
Pretty good, it was like memorable SMB3 tropes: the level.
We got the autoscrolling airship, the giant enemies, and the boot (which unfortunately comes stomping in out of nowhere both times).
Liked how there were a few split paths as well.

I think I died going off the top of the screen, I decided to ride the giant thwomp up and skip over the rocky wrenches only to kinda die when the screen bobbed up, altitude sickness.
Here's the video for WarioWare Inc. 2:

WarioWare, Inc. 2 - BAED-0000-0062-B3BB - https://youtu.be/UQwQmNZ3K1w

Nuts to watching it, I played it instead, so neat how you pulled this off (i'd yet to actually play the first one so this was still pretty novel for me)

Okay, I'm done, that took waaay too long.

Sölf

Okay I'll admit after a few attempts I called it quits here, I think that there's a strong stage lurking in here but things were getting a touch too busy for me.
At points you're having to take in alternating flame jet patterns, wrenches and bullet bill leftovers on top of the actual bill blasters and rocky wrenches currently in view.
And by the nature of such things you'll bump into a stray wrench in the most random places.

Then there's the blaster that shoots bob ombs into the small tunnel that a rocky wrench already occupies as well as once again remnants of previous bill blasters and so on, I made the mistake of letting that bill blaster shoot out too many bob-ombs.

But it had some strong base design, so I'm thinking tone down the projectiles in places also...
- try to have the moving rail platform timed to be heading towards the player as they enter that area of the stage
- That one red koopa by the first mushroom block could probably be dropped, either that or have a bit more room to roam.
Thanks for playing. The stage was designed to be pretty hard (I actually toned it down on a few sections already because I had problems myself xD).
Regarding the platform, I probably do that, but you can just run at the bottom and catch it just as a jumping platform to continue. That also works quite good, so I am not sure if I really should change that.

Regarding the wrench throwing mole near the Bob Omb cannon, that's probably one of the hardest parts in the whole stage. You can finish the whole stage as small Mario, but this is one of the parts where you will most likely get hit. Afterwards, using the Koopa to clear everything and then just run past it works most of the time. But yeah, maybe I should tone at least the beginning there down a bit. I will leave it up for a few more days (asking a few other people), if they also think I should reduce the difficulty I will do just that.

jholmes

Another hit from the wilds of the 100-Mario Challenge: I found this Belgian guy who made a level called "Lit the bombs, Yoshi!" The gimmick is you have to get Yoshi to eat fire to light Bob-ombs. His shoddy English in the title is a mark against but I thought the stuff in here was pretty clever, and worth a look for anyone who likes puzzle-based levels or was curious about doing something similar:

83DB-0000-004F-EAB2.

Give it a try, guys! This isn't self-promotion, I'm not Belgian!

Thanks for the feedback. It is a blind leap, but I dropped in that arrow to be taken very literally: fall straight down. If you drop anywhere in that area none of the podobos are near you - but yeah, if you just leap wildly off the cliff, who knows where you'll land.

One of my big issues with the P block, and this isn't your fault, but the music cuts shorter than in other games I'm pretty sure, so the timing can be tricky because it's like Nintendo wants to fool you. But I think a small safe zone would improve it.

I did like your level quite a bit, I was just out of patience at that point in the night. Feel I should clarify that.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has their been any talk of creating some kind of curator thread for the best levels of the week/month separate from this one? There could be a lot of potential for exposing the best overlooked levels and collecting them in one easy space.

I'm glad people liked the use of Moles. I find them a much more useful enemy than Hammer Bros.

The easy version of the level will have a fire flower at that part and possibly easier platforming instead of removing Moles.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
The bullet bill section was tricky but nothing impossible. Cool level. I just starred it :D

Btw, not sure if it was intentional or not but there are two saws that can't be avoided without taking a hit. I recommend to fix that as many will lose the mushroom way before that part rendering the rest of the level impossible.

they get bunched up if you go to fast for some reason

Here's a bunch of Mario 1-inspired courses that I made. I try to design levels that feel like they could have come from one of the classic games. Nothing too tricky, very few crazy gimmicks. Just platforming and bopping baddies.

Classic 1 - 5DF0-0000-0058-E758
Classic 2 - 4BEB-0000-0059-86CE
Classic 3 - 671B-0000-0060-D95C
Classic 4 - C342-0000-0060-FBFF
Classic 5 - E2B4-0000-0065-DD6A

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finally finished creating my Airship level titled Bowser's Armed Armada. Please check it out at 7D9B-0000-0066-AF42.

I would love it if you could leave a star, so I can upload more levels. :)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I wish he were streaming on Youtube, twitch sucks for me. It buffers every few seconds, is there no way to lower the video quality on your own?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I wish he were streaming on Youtube, twitch sucks for me. It buffers every few seconds, is there no way to lower the video quality on your own?

Twitch only lets the user select quality on partnered channels. Some non-partners get it, but it's kind of random.

jholmes

Has their been any talk of creating some kind of curator thread for the best levels of the week/month separate from this one? There could be a lot of potential for exposing the best overlooked levels and collecting them in one easy space.

Just follow me, I know what's up. Call me Curator.

Faddy

Banned
I made a (probably awful) airship level.
WVW69iaqcsMdsMikBj

CF2F-0000-0064-DC61

Really disappointed you can't seem to make actual airship boss fights.

You could make the hammer bros guard a p-switch to make it difficult to get to the finish without taking damage which should force players to have a boss fight.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Looks like nobody is playing my revised star course. It's exactly the same but I made myself a makeshift midway checkpoint and the level has a different name. Let me know if I made my checkpoint system too obscure and if you think there's a better way to communicate the "checkpoint" to the player.

Stars Evil! Checkpoint Good! - E39D-0000-0062-CFFC

Top Bottom