• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

shaowebb

Dear Nintendo, please incorporate Mario Kart 8's ability to upload video replays to youtube from the upload screen that way we can record successful runs of the stage as a "superplay" and so that we can advertise our stages better on forums.

Please tweet this to Nintendo if you feel the same.

Mario Maker needs replay uploading to Youtube at the stage upload screen.Promote stages with clips.#addyoutubeuploadingtoMM

My girlfriend made a set of levels if anyone wants to try them. They are made in the SMB style and are designed for people who are new to the game (she hasn't actually finished a Mario game before). If anyone does end up playing them, let me know what you think :) She would like some feedback via the game but it seems people don't like to leave comments on there.

First World Problems: CA46-0000-0020-283D
Careful and Patient: ABE7-0000-0020-CCE3
Don't Swim Too Close To The Sun!: F274-0000-0023-43E3
Castle Chaos: CD1A-0000-0027-4F2D

So hard I couldn't finish it. Might be my skill level, but it's kind of not obvious where you are supposed to go, and with so much happening at once you have no ability to focus on your intended path. I'm talking about the area with the Bowser, the springs and the fire cannons when you are travelling on the platform. I saw the coin arrow after a few tries, but I died many times even after. Otherwise really fun concept. Develop it a little further and play through it without "designer's eyes", try to see what a new player would see when he plays!

Thank you for the feed back!

I want to keep that particular jump in but I should figure out a way to make the intended path more obvious to the player. I wonder though, did you make it beyond that jump? Afterwards there's a Bob-omb puzzle you have to solve while being fired at that is quite difficult but I wonder if the player can tell they have to bomb something at first glance.

Dezzy

Not sure how to do Wii U screenshots, so here's a crappy phone pic. ;)

4D9odZv.jpg

Gimmick Free SMB1 (SMB1 Underground)
Course ID: 5DE6-0000-0020-BB82

Classic Castle Raid (SMB3 Castle)
Course ID: (Revised the level, number changed!)

Gimmick Free SMB1 was my first attempt at making a level, and was done with only the first couple sets of tools.
Classic Castle Raid is the second level I made, and I did that one after spending time unlocking all the tools.

Both levels are pretty much just classic Mario style. Please give 'em a try and see what you think. :)

Uhhhh so I finally get to the end of "don't lose the bullet" and bowser is in an impenetrable block fortress that I can't get over? What sort of sick joke is this

Oidisco

So I'm super confused and I need help. Like seriously need help!

I made tracks with moving platforms at the end of my level. They work fine and are synched up perfectly when I test them, but then when I play through the level in full I get there and the platforms are completely out of sync. It's random, and can make the end of the level basically impossible.

Anybody know why this happens and if there's anything I can do to fix it? The level is pretty much done otherwise and I want to get it uploaded!

Zero148

Only tried Show Your Flow right now. It was amazingly fun. Best Mario Maker level I have played yet, these are the kind of bite-sized "never not running" levels I would love to make!

thank you. Actually I wanted to make the level a scrollng level, but the fastest scrolling was simply to slow for the level's pace, so I had to use the timer xD If you already have the tracking of Mario unlocked you can use that for a "never stop running" level, really useful feature

HeySeuss

Haven't got this game yet, but looking at the posts, is the friend code type setup for levels the only way to search for them?

Is there not a rating system or username search?

Noobcraft

Most of my levels seem too hard for the community...

Bowser's Flight Training (HARD) has a 12.5% Clear Rate
89C9-0000-002E-ED48

Good Luck Goomba has a 1.72% Clear Rate (It should be way higher, just run as fast as you can)
BD0B-0000-0028-994A

Retro Runner has a 9.75% Clear Rate
C8EC-0000-0027-0E17

I hope they're at least fun for others lol.

Isomac

Haven't got this game yet, but looking at the posts, is the friend code type setup for levels the only way to search for them?

Is there not a rating system or username search?

You can give stars to levels you like. I don't think you can search by users. You can play their level and follow them. So you can find all their maps that way.

I made tracks with moving platforms at the end of my level. They work fine and are synched up perfectly when I test them, but then when I play through the level in full I get there and the platforms are completely out of sync. It's random, and can make the end of the level basically impossible.

Anybody know why this happens and if there's anything I can do to fix it? The level is pretty much done otherwise and I want to get it uploaded!

Some events trigger when on screen(or close), others are almost always active depending on the item, you might try using a warp pipe to ensure the events trigger when you want them to.

Hope that helps, that or try ensure players move a consistent speed and match it up that way.

cyba89

I think they spawn when you get near them in the level. So you can't really reliably sync them.
Them applies to everything like piranha plants, fire balls, etc.

Kebiinu

Banned
So I made two stages after familiarizing myself with the game, and I must say I think I did a good job!

The first one: "What Goes Up...!"
Code: 777C-0000-002E-4B15

High altitudes and clever Koopas block your progress here! You're playing in a canyon, so watch out for drops!

The second one: "Trial Caverns"
Code: 273C-0000-002F-B77A

Treacherous obstacles and perilous terrain decide your fate in this cavern of danger. Make sure to equip that fire flower before you progress further into the pipe terrain!

Let me know what you think!

Orgen

Shake the koopa to turn it red first. Red koopas fly, green bounce.

EDIT: The same goes for not falling from ledges. Red koopas are smarter.

Red Parakoopas fly up and down on the spot. Green Parakoopa bounce along the level until they fall down a gap. Sounds like you need to change them to red if they are falling down.

Didn't know, many thanks!!! :)

Isomac

Oh one thing I was wondering with castle levels. How do you make Bowser shoot fire only when you get closer to him? Now you can just wait at the beginning of the level and the flames just travels there too. I just changed him to that jr bowser but it's not the same!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just uploaded my scond course. Same core concept as my first but the difficulty is a bit more manageable I think though the level is longer. Tried to make the pacing a bit better. Let me know if you think this is better or worse than my first.

Flying Spring 2 - 3681-0000-002F-ECEB

Also if anyone is interested in my first flying spring course - EA5C-0000-0013-CE21

This may be my favourite SMB1 stage so far, such interesting use of sideways springs, I had no idea you could manipulate enemies like that.
It's like a mini puzzle getting the mushroom and fireflower power ups, great use of limitations.

Though I do wonder, is small mario supposed to be unable to reach the spring ? block by the spiny hat pipe? You can alternatively use small mario to wear the spiny hat and take out the koopa tower from below and tackle the stage with a head of block destruction but I'm not entirely sure if you meant for this two ways of doing things. Well you did say multiple solutions so I'm guessing yes.

Thanks so much for playing; I went through a few of yours last night and enjoyed them immensely myself. Yes, the spring by the spiny hat pipe is meant to be a reward for successfully obtaining a mushroom earlier in the stage, as popping it open is the only way to release the Fire Flower further to the right. But the obstacle is entirely traversable as small Mario, as you saw (and there is actually a third method you haven't mentioned), although it brings the player to the Fire Flower block with no way of opening it apart from going back, and only if one of the two Super Mushrooms earlier in the stage is still obtainable. The idea was to clearly communicate to the player that clearing that segment might be worth a replay.

One issue I found with the spring interactions was that there would occasionally be some random variance depending on how objects load just outside your field of vision, but I think I've sorted out most of the bugs. And I had high hopes for the "wall jump" spring tower near the goal pole, but I could only get it working as small Mario and had to create an alternative for big Mario to get up top. I suppose I could have just gone with Amiibo costumes as my power-ups, but that would have came at the expense of the big-Mario-only interaction you mentioned. And the fact that the spiny hat can break every kind of block created a few challenges of its own. In general, though, I wanted to reward the player for surviving with power-ups for as long as possible.

SirShandy

Had a go at a simple puzzley one. Not hard but fun I hope.
There are 2 solutions.
910C-0000-002E-A58B
Be the first to try it!

- I really like the concept for this level. I'd be interested in what else you could do to expand on it, or how much further you could capitalize on the puzzle solving aspect. Right now it's search until you find the difference - which eventually ends with stumbling upon the hidden block. There is definitely a hook to the idea of reappearing in a similar location but with slightly different elements and it would be cool to explore the possibilities.

Level Title: SAITAMA 30
ID: F35D-0000-002E-9A68
Difficulty: Medium

Description:
I made rhythm level based on Taiko no Tatsujin and Namco.
You should perform your jumps according to the beats!

The first part is quite easy, the timings are harder on the second part (I dropped a mushroom at the beginning to alleviate the problem!)

WVW69iYhRBoZ31OR68

Here is Don-chan's welcoming face!
(I would love to read any comment, thanks!)

Really enjoyed this one. It's the kind of fair difficulty that kept me retrying until I beat it. I like how the music elements are kept above out of frame like a hidden orchestra doing the level music. And of course, creating an actual musical rhythm is impressive, let alone making a fun level.

I'm curious about a few things - does making it a scrolling level help with the timing of certain items like music blocks since it's not dependent on the players movement?

Also - how did you keep the regular level music from playing? Did you use a sound effect then kept it throughout?

prateeko

Hey guys, I've never done anything like this so I'd appreciate constructive feedback. I made this level well before I unlocked everything (having the trails would have been so nice)

Name: You can do it! DASH DASH DASH!
Code: 3AA0-0000-0028-4C3F
Length: Short
Description: A short level that relies on the fundamentals of jumpman's extraordinary hops.

I'd like to use the feedback, along with having access to all of the tools, to keep making better levels that are challenging without being unfair/mean. Thanks!

Oidisco

Some events trigger when on screen(or close), others are almost always active depending on the item, you might try using a warp pipe to ensure the events trigger when you want them to.

Hope that helps, that or try ensure players move a consistent speed and match it up that way.

Thanks, but the level is already designed with pipes in mind and since everything else is done I can't really throw in another pipe or door to sync things up. The level is designed with speedrunning in mind as well, so using any more transitions will mess up the flow of the level.

I might just have to get rid of the tracks and use something else.

Bydobob

I had the same problem today. Although my level was still easy to complete the platforms lost their uniformity and looked haphazard. Also had a similar problem getting an alternating series of flying mushrooms and enemies flying across the screen, some just never arrived when they were supposed to.

I don't know, this game brings out my worst OCD tendencies. Just when I think I'm ready to press Upload I realise there's something else I'm not happy with and start tinkering here and there, and end up revamping whole sections. I never thought designing a good level would be this difficult.

Kamek

Hey guys, I'd appreciate it if you'd try out my level. A fun warm-up for what's to come ;)

Fun Warm-Up!
30C1-0000-0030-0616

So I have the latest version of the game (1.0.1), but it's still saying I have to wait until tomorrow before I get more stuff to make levels... Has this happened to anyone else?

Nintenleo

Heres my latest level 'Highway Star'

31D4-0000-002F-7DF5

WVW69iYir94_jdgR3N

Its a high speed jumper that is quite straightforward as I like fast long leap levels, but theres a bunch of secrets hidden if you miss certain gaps. I think its a pretty fun level!

The secrets were very nice! The ending can be unfair because if you miss the finish pole you basically get killed by all those evil guys, but I had fun! Gave you a star 😉

Try my other stages if you want, i'm gonna try yours.

WHAT

I hoped it was in so bad after seeing "flyday" but I thought it was just a dream...

HOW?!?

It just popped up on friday when I was doing some creating. A fly went on the screen and I tapped it and the minigame started. I'm not sure if it's exclusive to that specific day or if there's a way to trigger it all the time.

Kamek

I think I'm getting the hang of this. Didn't really have much of a concept in mind, so I figured... "Why not just do a pure platforming level?" No gimmicks. Start on the left, end on the right. Well, I can't quite help myself with adding secrets, so it has the usual three hidden 1-Ups, and actually over 100 coins, too.

Anyway, presenting my fifth:

Koopa Heights
WVW69iYgyXYNppMEyd

4CF5-0000-002E-5063
Description: I wanted to do a Super Mario World style level. And I don't mean "a level with SMW's tileset". I mean a level that plays like a SMW level. This is that level. The only enemies are Red Koopas, and apart from the secrets, everything else is pure running, jumping, and timing. Mario at its purest.
Secrets: Three 1-Up Mushrooms and a Yoshi​

So, anyone want to tell me how far off I am from a Super Mario World level here? I think I got pretty close... but I'm the creator, so I can't judge that. It should be beatable on the first go if you're careful. But there are a few tricky jumps, I'll admit.

Koopa Heights was a fun little level.

jiggles

Banned
Enjoyed your level a lot! Have a star. :)

Thanks!

The first one is a short but hopefully funny level.

*that* moment caught me off guard. You made me laugh, so mission accomplished.
The second one is a short progression style level.

I liked the idea of having to go level up before attempting a section again, but I beat the level by skipping everything and taking a shell from the start to the rocket. I figured I was supposed to find a leaf somewhere, but I couldn't.
The third one is a little hard. Completion rate is under 8%

It's pretty good. I really liked the freefalling sections. But there's a blind drop near the beginning that's a big no-no, in my book. You gave the right powerups at the right time, though. Good work.

3 stars for you.

RaidenZR

So how are you guys taking good level thumbnails with Mario and enemies in action poses? I can't seem to get the save function to do that.

What's the trick?

Durden77

It just popped up on friday when I was doing some creating. A fly went on the screen and I tapped it and the minigame started. I'm not sure if it's exclusive to that specific day or if there's a way to trigger it all the time.

I hope it's not just on Friday. I must find it. Oh god this game is the best.

I WAS BUILDING A LEVEL WHEN THREE FLIES APPEARED I TOUCHED THEM AND BAM FLY SWATTER MINI GAME

So it's not just Friday?! I NEED IT. Please show up flies...

LaneDS

So how are you guys taking good level thumbnails with Mario and enemies in action poses? I can't seem to get the save function to do that.

What's the trick?

Login to Miiverse from wherever you post on GAF (PC/phone/tablet) and you'll see thumbnails for all your uploaded levels there.

So the game just told i have all the course elements, but honestly...there has to be a lot more? I am still missing things like Tanooki suit, frog suit, or the things needed to make snow/ice levels, desert levels. Is this unlockable by playing levels or....?

IceMarker

I WAS BUILDING A LEVEL WHEN THREE FLIES APPEARED I TOUCHED THEM AND BAM FLY SWATTER MINI GAME

And if you complete it you
get the Builder Mario costume unlocked.

So the game just told i have all the course elements, but honestly...there has to be a lot more? I am still missing things like Tanooki suit, frog suit, or the things needed to make snow/ice levels, desert levels. Is this unlockable by playing levels or....?
DLC eventually...

RaidenZR

Login to Miiverse from wherever you post on GAF (PC/phone/tablet) and you'll see thumbnails for all your uploaded levels there.

I know. I've done that, but it's still whatever the "SAVE" function spits out. Which is usually devoid of live objects.

I have a couple more levels finished.

Pokemon Stadium - 4CFF-0000-002E-577B - This was probably my largest and most involved course, it's a series of challenges based upon each pokemon. It's the one I'm most proud of so far! Comments on this are most appreciated, but I'll be more likely to see miiverse posts. I don't think it's terribly hard, but so far only about 1.5% have beaten it...

Pac-Man's Delight - F970-0000-0028-9366 - My wife made this recreation of Pac-Man. She had a great time doing it. There isn't really any challenge to it, but it's fun to play around as an easy water level. She'd really love to see some people enjoying it!

Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom