• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

mrklaw

MrArseFace
WVW69iYjPr0drhwGaX

Yoshi's Rad Racing Coaster

(EAEC-0000-002F-DCD5)

Alright now this one can be a bit tough, but it's not at all unfair. Yoshi's built a twin racing coaster in his basement. Think you can ride it all the way to end? Note: try not to be mad at Yoshi as he laughs at you from the safety of his operator's box. How many times have you used him to
Thanks for playing. (If you do!)

How do you get curved tracks rather than just straight lines?

Rutger

Banned
I had another idea for the Amiibo costumes.

Airship Speedway
083D-0000-0031-0D2A

As the name implies, it's Mario Kart themed. It's not hard at all, though getting all three 1-ups(well, two 1-ups and the top of the flag) might take a little work.

PBalfredo

You mean the infantry ships with the enemies walking around with cannons on their backs? I intended the cannons themselves to be the landing spots. Were you doing that or trying to slip in between the enemies? There's also a hidden mushroom in the ghost ship in case you need an extra hit to reach the boss.

Yeah, I would aim for landing on the cannons, but doing so often lined me up to catch a wrench or bullet bill in the face from the rear of the ship. The cannon on the green koopa also had a knack for catching me mid-jump.

I found the 1-Up. It was right after the fake-out mid-level "mushroom" ? block. You tease.

Bert409

Anybody here have a good comprehensive list of the best neogaf-made levels? Maybe share a code if you have them favorited in your account.

I think this would be better if you actually required the player go through the airship area you made, otherwise I think most players are going to simply miss that and quickly clear the stage without seeing it.

Aside from that, solid!

Tried what you suggested, and I agreed, so here's version 2. More or less entirely remade, though.

Find the treasure ship!

(E9A5-0000-0031-312E)

Oidisco

Played it and stared it. It was a fun level and I appreciated that you put a lot of thought behind it.

Cool, thanks!

It was a nightmare to make though. Between making sure all the jumps and enemies lined up perfectly to get through each section as fast as possible and also making sure it's fun as a more casual playthrough was tough.
Not to mention the fact that I had to restart the entire level from scratch thanks to Nintendo's limitations, and that I had to remove an entire game mechanic from the level because the tracks would de-sync. It was bad times. Turned out pretty well in the end atleast.

I'm gonna be an ass and post the code again on this page:
Rescue Yoshi!

8B79-0000-0030-F171

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, I would aim for landing on the cannons, but doing so often lined me up to catch a wrench or bullet bill in the face from the rear of the ship. The cannon on the green koopa also had a knack for catching me mid-jump.

I found the 1-Up. It was right after the fake-out mid-level "mushroom" ? block. You tease.

No, there's a super mushroom hidden in there with the 1-up. There's a hint to where it is in the background.

Or a leaf.

I can't just give you a way to break the level.

clav

Just got through it. It's tough but fair, though finding a landing spot in those first few airships can be pretty rough. Maybe giving the player a fireflower instead of a mushroom in the beginning so they could take an extra hit would help the difficulty find the sweetspot?

Or a leaf.

B_Bech

I think you're right. There's more to be done with the concept. I would've given the stage a bit more room to breathe. Here's something I try to do when playtesting my levels that might work for you: I try to beat the whole thing without power ups, to see what works.

With all that said, I like the idea! A thwomp-based castle stage is worth making.

Non-standard stage that's half boss rush, half high-level SMB3 castle. Not really my cup of tea but much too good to not recommend.

In a way you seem like less of a game designer than you do an interior decorator. I mean that as a compliment! There are a lot of interesting things being done visually here. Anyone curious about what this game can look like should try this stage. You have a real eye for detail: the gas lamps in the interior portion would be window dressing in a normal stage, but they're starring players here.

To the stage itself, my big problems are in the beginning: the first jump over the fire bars is too harsh, and I don't like that you've recessed the wrench moles. Other than that, some people might find this too visually busy, but I say if you've got a signature look, embrace it!

I've gone through a bunch of levels and I'll certainly do more. If anyone was looking to give mine a spin, here's the codes again:

The Spring's the Thing: F6DA-0000-0016-3AD4
Big Trouble: 3B43-0000-0016-FFC2
Shell Shock (the TMNT one): 0CCD-0000-001D-9748
Buzzy's Cavern: D2D2-0000-0026-9161
Mole Mountain: 2AB6-0000-002D-182F

I'll play all yours now. Thanks for the feedback! I really like making things look nice, but I try even harder to make them play well. Which moles did you have a problem with? Maybe I should put a trampoline in the beginning? I put a mushroom at the start so people could tank it if need be.

I'm back with another not-too-difficult but (hopefully) clever level. This one explains the age old question of why Peach was always in another castle.

Peach's Escape

ak0qxoH.png

For those who enjoy secrets, see if you can find the alternate ending. I nearly used up the block limit on this one.

Deleted?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well since my last level was apparently way too hard for the Mario Maker world I decided to take one of my saved playing around with stuff while unlocking things level and tweak it. So the layout wasn't really thought through too much. This should be a fairly straight forward underground course, probably world 2 or 3ish in a standard Mario game. Two secret 1-ups to be found for the observant. I hit the block limit with this one.

The Spiny Subterranean - 1F8A-0000-0031-288D

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
E089-000-0031-0F1F

Piranha Platform Panic

A really simple level, I wish you could make taller levels, but until then, this is probably my strongest level.

Please give some opinions.

Dizzy-4U

Here's my first attempt at doing something:

Tubular Redux: 1350-0000-002C-0E4B

Lnp0Yoy.jpg

Tried my best at recreating Tubular. There are a few additions here and there, but nothing too crazy. I'd say the difficulty is about the same as the original, I didn't throw 100 enemies on screen just to make it harder.

I'm not too good at these things, so any feedback is appreciated.

Here's my attempt at emulating Wario's Castle from SML2, please check it out and let me know how I did.

SuperMario Land 2:Wario's Castle (A17A-0000-0031-1E6D)
I'm out now but will definitely give a try once home! I'm very excited to see how you made it, seems like a hard time!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
God, this game is so cool.

But uh... I thought they patched the moronic 9 day period for unlocking stuff. I unlocked a new set of tools, used it for the mandatory 5 minutes, and then the game was like "more stuff will unlock on Monday."

Bull. shit.

Assanova

Hmm, with the proper dlc, I can see this being one of Nintendo's biggest games ever. It is much better than I imagined it would be when I saw it the first few times. This game is easier to pick-up and play than Minecraft.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Zero's Don't lose the Bullet Bill is top notch stuff, hats off

Beats

But uh... I thought they patched the moronic 9 day period for unlocking stuff. I unlocked a new set of tools, used it for the mandatory 5 minutes, and then the game was like "more stuff will unlock on Monday."

Bull. shit.

Use up all the new tools you get from a delivery and make sure there aren't any exclamation points on any items on the hotbar, then once the notification that says a new set of tools will arrive the next day comes up just place tons of blocks in a level to speed up the delivery. It only took me an hour to unlock everything.

Bull. shit.
Use every item that has an exclamation point, then start spamming copy/pasted blocks. After you get something unlocked, give it some time to tell you there is a new arrival coming on a date and then repeat the process.

Hmm, with the proper dlc, I can see this being one of Nintendo's biggest games ever. It is much better than I imagined it would be when I saw it the first few times. This game is easier to pick-up and play than Minecraft.

More tilesets/music would be awesome. SMB2 (with it's own gameplay elements), Super Mario Land, and All Stars would be cool. Hell, even SMB2j had a slightly different tileset from SMB1, include that too!

I also wish that you could hide levels that you've starred. There are levels where I wanted to leave feedback but not necessarily liked enough to star.

jnWake

Ok, here it the first course I do with a basic idea, 3 ways to beat it, an easy way, a normal way and a hard way, if you miss the chance to get the easy way...

WVW69iYlQ2Y_yQRYk8

CAC8-0000-0031-22F7, Spiky Faces.
Ha! I beat it super easily. Thanks
Lakitu
!

More tilesets/music would be awesome. SMB2 (with it's own gameplay elements), Super Mario Land, and All Stars would be cool. Hell, even SMB2j had a slightly different tileset from SMB1, include that too!
There are SMB 2 tiles in other NES tilesets, which kind of implies that they don't really intend to make an SMB 2 maker anytime soon.

McNum

Can't... stop... making levels... "Congratulations, you can now upload 20 courses!" Not helping, Nintendo! But thanks for the 50 stars. Yay!

Anyway, some levels are pure Mario, while others are... what I just did. "Hey, do these things go together? Huh, neat. They do? IDEA!"

Presenting my sixth!

Gwar har har! Solve my maze!
WVW69iYlQZQX2wo_g9

BC53-0000-0031-2820
Description: Lakitu Bowser! I mean, a P-Switch using maze with Bowser barraging Mario with fireballs. Only the Axe can stop him. So hurry!
Secrets: The usual three 1-Up Mushrooms. Now with less instant death.​

This one is probably a lot harder than I think it is. And then I put an aggressive time limit on it. You likely won't Time Out, but you will hear the 100 second warning. I don't think this one is as good as Koopa Heights, but it's another take on a boss fight. Haven't seen Lakitu Bowser before, at least. And yes, he moves through walls. But no, he doesn't move vertically. That's Winged Lakitu Bowser who can do that.

And yes, I fully expect it to be better than what the title is a reference to.

I should start playing more and making less... I feel like I'm missing out on so many good levels from this thread alone, not to mention lucky finds in 100 Mario Mode.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm out now but will definitely give a try once home! I'm very excited to see how you made it, seems like a hard time!

Thanks! Tile placement was fairly easy to copy 1 for 1, but the enemies and their behavior was the real challenge. Any feedback you can offer would be great!

Taramoor

A silly level:
CBA2-0000-001C-93CA

An impossible level, apparently, I didn't think it was that hard:
C446-0000-001B-6EE9

The first two steps of the whole reason I bought Super Mario Maker:
2C90-0000-0027-F388
0A23-0000-0030-B14F

theaface

Please give my first level a try, guys and girls. I put bloody hours into it and it currently has no plays! Feedback welcome.

The Tunnel of Imminent Peril
C8C3-0000-0030-5A42
wtGyFpV.jpg

Kensuke

You guys might remember the reviewer that made that awesome Metroid U level. Well, the guy made a new version and it's even better. You guys should definitely try it if you want to experience a Metroid-like design. This is a real Metroid level, not a silly Amiibo showcase.

Metroid U V2

692B-0000-0030-EAEC

Video of the level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE0x6Qm-Q3c

IHUwo5t.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm good friends with the guy. :p

Here's my attempt at emulating Wario's Castle from SML2, please check it out and let me know how I did.

SuperMario Land 2:Wario's Castle (A17A-0000-0031-1E6D)
Did it! WOW! That was both fun, hard and perfectly nostalgic. I don't think you could have made it better, you're my hero.

Thanks for playing my 'normal' classic Super Mario Bros. levels guys! This is the last one for today.

Discovery Caves

Again, a pretty chill level with some difficult parts, this time underground. There are a few different routes to take to get some extra's, but how and why is up for you to figure out. You won't be throwing the controller at the screen from this level but still, it's no cakewalk either. Hopefully pretty balanced.

Information:
Name: Discovery Caves
Code: 0DE2-0000-0031-6BD2
Based on: Super Mario Bros.

0qV4KgE.jpg

Top Bottom