• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

giapel

Do they say anything about TEH graphics? Do they explain how they came up with a 10 (aka perfect) despite "mediocre" graphics?

Majora

Do they say anything about TEH graphics? Do they explain how they came up with a 10 (aka perfect) despite "mediocre" graphics?

10 doesn't mean perfect and never has. There you go.

They don't talk much about the graphics in the review. They say the mix of cartoony and realistic elements is initially jarring but you soon get used to it. That's all they really say on the visuals.

So... 4K60/HDR/DF seal of approval is mandatory, for a 10 score? Lololol, c'mon guys, you can do better. Don't let the salt invade your brain.

DavidDesu

Anyone in the UK surprised they could buy the digital version of the game from Amazon for something like £42, same cost as physical? I fully expected this game to be £50 or maybe even £55!

boiled goose

good with gravy
i just hope kensuke tanabe activates his 6th sense with metroid prime 4 just like aonuma and koizumi did with zelda and mario

Now that would be something.

From a game design standpoint, Botw is such a monumental advancement compared to ww, tp, and ss that Metroid achieving something on that level would be spectacular.

The issues with Metroid are not as severe as with Zelda though. Metroid has mostly stuck to the very successful Super Metroid formula. The slight deviations from it being Prime 3, Fusion, and other M. All of them feel inferior in overall design, with more linear, segmented play.

Mario went from pure platforming to adding exploration in 2d to sandbox in 3d to more pure platforming in 3d. Oddessy seems to be a return to the 3d sandbox, so I'm curious how they've modernized it.

Botws design is more obvious. It's a modern take of the original ideas of non linearity, challenge, adventoruous exploration. 3d Zeldas had devolved into overly linear, tutorial heavy, awful messed focusing only on sequential puzzle solving. The Botw innovations are its interconnected gameplay systems and complete open traversal that lead to open, emergent gameplay.

So... Where can metroid really go? I think it has to be somewhere pretty different. Taking inspiration from horror and games like dark souls I think is a great starting point. Really push the isolationn, immersion, claustrophobia of diving deep underground hunting dangerous alien life forms. Along the way you discover havens of old chozo ruins and tech that empower you. Dunno.

Botw was almost exactly what I wanted zelda to be from a big picture game design standpoint. However I don't know what I want metroid to be... unlike zelda, the prototypical formula has already been nicely done in 3d.

Personally I think it deserves points for looking better than Crash and other platformer a on more powerful hardware.

And 60fps at that.

Majora

As a Brit well versed in irony and sarcasm, I'm ashamed I didn't pick up on that to be honest. Obviously I'm spending so much time on the board I'm losing the ability to tell who's being serious or not.

Today I learned that there were no masterpieces in gaming last gen or before.

Well techincally even by "teh graphics" standards, Halo 3 held up (for its time) as being a true 10/10. It looked amazing in 2006, and isnt aging TOO horribly.

But yeah, games can get a 10/10 for graphics even if stylistic. Ori and the Blind Forest is woefully absent on this list. It is beyond 10/10 in my book. Screw edge for not at least giving the definitive edition a 10/10, if not the original.

Edit: his sarcasm is noted, sboulda been obvious lol

Cant WAIT for Mario. Hopefully I am done with Cuphead in time.

Now that would be something.

From a game design standpoint, Botw is such a monumental advancement compared to ww, tp, and ss that Metroid achieving something on that level would be spectacular.

The issues with Metroid are not as severe as with Zelda though. Metroid has mostly stuck to the very successful Super Metroid formula. The slight deviations from it being Prime 3, Fusion, and other M. All of them feel inferior in overall design, with more linear, segmented play.

Mario went from pure platforming to adding exploration in 2d to sandbox in 3d to more pure platforming in 3d. Oddessy seems to be a return to the 3d sandbox, so I'm curious how they've modernized it.

Botws design is more obvious. It's a modern take of the original ideas of non linearity, challenge, adventoruous exploration. 3d Zeldas had devolved into overly linear, tutorial heavy, awful messed focusing only on sequential puzzle solving. The Botw innovations are its interconnected gameplay systems and complete open traversal that lead to open, emergent gameplay.

So... Where can metroid really go? I think it has to be somewhere pretty different. Taking inspiration from horror and games like dark souls I think is a great starting point. Really push the isolationn, immersion, claustrophobia of diving deep underground hunting dangerous alien life forms. Along the way you discover havens of old chozo ruins and tech that empower you. Dunno.

Botw was almost exactly what I wanted zelda to be from a big picture game design standpoint. However I don't know what I want metroid to be... unlike zelda, the prototypical formula has already been nicely done in 3d.

I just really hope that they are putting the same amount of care into the game as they did in zelda and mario. In terms of design it's been 10 years since prime 3, so there's a lot of exciting things that they can bring to the table.

WestEgg

Graphics over time are weird anyway. Some games look dated pretty quickly, but looking at Mario 64 for instance. By all modern standards it clearly doesn't still have the top of the line, realistic feel that it did in 1996. But everything about that game is just so. damn. iconic that instead of looking like an aged N64 game, it just looks like... Super Mario 64, exactly as it should look.

This goes double for Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Mario's sprite was originally an attempt to replicate the look of a man. But it's not that any more. It's not a poor rendering of a man, that's just 8-bit Mario!

KooopaKid

Banned
i just hope kensuke tanabe activates his 6th sense with metroid prime 4 just like aonuma and koizumi did with zelda and mario

Doubt it, for starters the game is called Metroid Prime 4...so it already sounds like it probably will be more of the same but in HD. I know we have seen nothing of the game yet but the choice of title alone indicates it won't be a huge departure.

Technically it's a follow up to Mario 64/Sunshine, in Nintendo's eyes. If anything, 3D Land and World were the sucessors to the Galaxy duology. As told by The Chart™.

3D_Mario_Infograph.jpg

do this mean it is not in the Rosalina timeline? BOOOOOOOO BoOOOOOO!

Nere

Awesome news it was a guaranteed buy anyway. I haven't followed the news too much about the game since I want to go kinda blind but have we seen any ghost houses or penguins in Odyssey? These were always my favourite parts of older mario games.

Awesome news it was a guaranteed buy anyway. I haven't followed the news too much about the game since I want to go kinda blind but have we seen any ghost houses or penguins in Odyssey? These were always my favourite parts of older mario games.

Seems to be seals as opposed to penguins.

Just what is it about Nintendo games reviewing well that drives some people crazy?

This is just a tip, or a fragment, of the iceberg really. You could have "games reviewing well" as 'X' and swap out X with a great many things and the question would still be applicable. Like the BoTW season pass, the announcement thread of that was complete madness, I'm not going to say that any people having issues with that were in the wrong or anything but the reactions were incredible, people taking it personally that there would be DLC in a Zelda game. The Splatoon 2 voice chat nonsense, a ridiculous and embarrassing thing to be sure, but that got incredibly ugly fast, people attacking others who weren't as outraged as they were. Then there was E3 2015, the January presentation of course and heck some lowlifes couldn't even just reign it in in the aftermath of Iwata's untimely passing and had to have a dig or two there as well.

It's just the Nintendo game that sets people off it seems, is it the nostalgia? The company image? The consistency of their quality games? How unpredictable and risk taking they are? I don't know, you'd have to ask these people to hear from the horse's mouth so to speak. Heck we've had this thread without a single comment from one of the most notorious people on this site because they were banned... for posting a ridiculous and reductive OTT comment trying to downplay a positive Nintendo article.

It's not just hating that Nintendo makes great games quite often at least to me, they hold them to a ridiculous standard for everything they do despite the fact they're just a publicly traded company like lots of others and treat any slight deviation from that to be criminal.

It's all just weird and not logical basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom