• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Late to the party here but man I'm excited.

Crazy thought. Bandai Namco's second rep is KOSMOS, we get Elma, and then we'll have a Xeno trio. That'd just make me giggle.

Yes, yes, and more yes. I made an official thread for KOS-MOS on smashboards but we didn't get many supporters. She'd be one hell of a fighter for smash NX! Hell, she's appeared in a lot of crossovers. People don't do much research about her ;(

Here's another sweet alt, it's Quint from Mega Man 2 on Gameboy. Basically he's Mega Man from the future turned evil by Dr. Wily.

5vdqS1Dh.jpg

a7TMi2jh.jpg

Face off

TE5uXv4h.jpg

A race to get back in time

All these cool alts are just making the wait for that music mod even harder.

Unless things get insane when he evolves, doesn't look like the Grass starter will make it this time around.

I've never liked the idea of a Grass starter coming in just for the sake of filling in a niche, but having an owl be playable in Smash would be pretty funny.

Blues1990

If there is one thing that I want, is that I want the custom moves for all the characters to be unlocked at the start.

It was a pain in the goddamn ass to not only unlock the custom moves for the Wii U version, but as well as the 3DS.

Zebei

If there is one thing that I want, is that I want the custom moves for all the characters to be unlocked at the start.

It was a pain in the goddamn ass to not only unlock the custom moves for the Wii U version, but as well as the 3DS.
I would love if customs were less. . .terrible handled. Dropped by RNG and you have to have them already set up from another menu.

If they were unlocked from the beginning, and had everything as presets* that would be great. Maybe I would ACTUALLY use them for once.

* By presets I mean that all the possibilities of customs exist when you select a character. You can do 1111, 1112, 1113 etc if you just scroll down. All from the beginning instead of needing to make them somewhere else. Maybe I could make a (terrible) mockup instead of explaining this terribly.

Zebei

Trophies was one of my favorite things about Melee. The level where trophies fell from the sky was so stressful for me because I hated missing any. I still love getting all kinds of characters and looking at the hoard. Seeing Viridi, Paper Mario Cloud, and like 20 other awesome characters on screen at the same time is wonderful, even if not all of them aren't playable. (I pray though)

I have probably got more enjoyment from trophies than custom moves in this game (some compared to none) so I suppose I wouldn't mind a few more trophies if customs aren't going to get redone anyway.

I think the game would need new trophies to reflect all the games that'd come out since launch (they kinda did that with the DLC Inkling and Fates ones). Maybe more music and a stage too..

To be honest, I could easily see Ice Climbers being the premier character reveal for Smash 4 NX in the first trailer.

Like Villager and Mega Man were for Smash 4.

One more Smash mod for the day, I decided to change gears and do a stage mod for once.

CrH8j2hh.jpg

Any Project M players around here might be delighted to see this, it's PM's old tourney-friendly Pokemon Stadium 2 edit! It goes over the Omega variation of PS2.

WU7WK9Hh.jpg

A close encounter

In case you're wondering, it does work with 8-Player Smash..but um, there's some very peculiar results, to say the least.

FJ9VAFVh.jpg

One crazy amiibo war we got going on here

The first thing to point out is that as you can see, the characters become ridiculously teeny tiny. This isn't exactly anything new, 8-player Smash generally shrinks the characters down to fit them on stages easier, but it's still a pretty funny sight seeing everyone toy-sized, lol.

zSySubMh.jpg

HrZprUjh.jpg

Here's where the real issue comes in, the collision detection is completely off lol. As you can see the characters are floating directly under the platforms they should be standing on.

vxXByAPh.jpg

y4TIqOBh.jpg

A similar thing is happening with the ledges. For some reason they're like four feet away from where they should be.

Regardless of these issues the stage still does work in 8-Player Smash but it seems to me the creator of this didn't exactly design it around it. Either way it's nice to be able to play on this stage again and also once again shows the promising future of Smash 4 modding. No need to come up with some coding tomfoolery the PM team had to put up with to get their alternate stage loader up and running, here all we gotta do is replace the omega stages.

By the sounds of things, we could probably add all brand new stages altogether without replacing anything anyway.

Here's another neat alt I downloaded. It's Mario's old Jumpman colors.

p8izFR5h.jpg

0iw0XpAh.jpg

It's hammer time!
ugh

fatqEyLh.jpg

Game Over

og0L71Vh.jpg

Little Mac and Mario in their primordial states

Prior to Smash 4, Smash always had a Jumpman costume but unlike the mod above it made Mario's cap blue instead of red, probably for visual clarity to distinguish it more from Mario's default attire. Tis a shame they got rid of it in Sm4sh.

Man, it's really nuts how we can add additional alt costumes without replacing old ones so easily. The Project M team struggled and had to come up with special coding to extend the amount of pallate swaps characters could have in Brawl. According to That Smash 4 Modder, we can have up to a whopping 263 alts for each character. Holy fuck.

Makes me wonder if Sakurai was planning on additional downloadable character costumes beyond the Miis at some point.

I wanted that Mario color so bad.

Details from Sakurai's latest Famitsu column are coming out:

- Nintendo decided who was on the Smash Wii U/3DS boxart, not Sakurai 
- the team balanced characters objectively by referring to results from monitoring versus battles 
- there were plans to have a stage based on Kirby’s Epic Yarn, but this was changed when Yoshi's Woolly World came around 
- the Fire Emblem characters were decided strategically, rather than raw favoritism

Dang it, I KNEW we were gonna have a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage! Not that I don't love TGCO, and having a stage from Woolly World way before it came out was a neat novelty, but the utter lack of content from Epic Yarn still stings...

I wonder what it would've been (Fountain Gardens?), and what were the original plans for a Yoshi stage...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still interested to know if Pictochat 2 was originally a Swapnote stage due to the two tone drawings and the fact that Pictochat was retired with the 3DS.

Dang it, I KNEW we were gonna have a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage! Not that I don't love TGCO, and having a stage from Woolly World way before it came out was a neat novelty, but the utter lack of content from Epic Yarn still stings...

I wonder what it would've been (Fountain Gardens?), and what were the original plans for a Yoshi stage...

We lost epic yarn but may have dodged a Yoshi's "New" Island stage.

Blues1990

Details from Sakurai's latest Famitsu column are coming out:

I'm surprised that was the reason for the push of the Fire Emblem characters in SSB4, as I know Sakurai is a fanboy of that series. Good to hear that it wasn't completely one-sided.

We lost epic yarn but may have dodged a Yoshi's "New" Island stage.

My guess is that they were struggling to come up with a new Yoshi stage and then switched gears when Woolly World was first announced.

That said, if we were originally going to get something from New Island, then uh, yeah, we dodged a bullet. Don't even wanna imagine what that ugliness would be like in HD.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They could have gone full retro and made a [Mario &] Yoshi or Yoshi's Cookie inspired stage.

The [Mario &] Yoshi stage could have a similar gimmick to Melee's Green Greens with the falling enemies while introducing a new one of the base platform being made of four plates that are swapped around every so often.

Anth0ny

263 alts for each character? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Smash 4 modding moving forward nicely. How many stages can be added to the game? I want Fountain of Dreams ASAP.

I hope it's not too hard for modders to transfer their Brawl work over to Smash 4. So much good was added to that game from mods. It looks like they got the Stadium 2 stage into Smash 4, which is good, but that's a fairly basic stage.

Smash 4 modding moving forward nicely. How many stages can be added to the game? I want Fountain of Dreams ASAP.
By just replacing Omega stages, there are 55 of those.

I'm guessing 256 is the cap for stage slots, although at some point page 2 of the SSS would get so obnoxiously full, it would be unusable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hopefully there's a bit of self moderation from the community and the DLC stages are not made available for free by simply making the files available to be added to a custom slot.

While we're on this subject, someone made a whole set of Shadow costumes, complete with their own voice clips separate from Sonic's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QV5Dk28h5s

By the way, I asked the creator in the Smash 4 Discord chat and yes, in addition to voice clips, alt costumes can also have their own sound effects. It hasn't been implemented yet, but before he releases the costumes he's most likely going to replace the revving and jumping sounds with the SEs from Sonic Adventure 2. Just for reference....

Clov

Speaking of alt costumes, if we do get an NX version of Smash 4 I'd be willing to bet that Link would have an alt of his outfit from the new Zelda. While I don't know if they'd do this, giving Toon Link a Young Link alt would be pretty neat as well.

Speaking of alt costumes, if we do get an NX version of Smash 4 I'd be willing to bet that Link would have an alt of his outfit from the new Zelda. While I don't know if they'd do this, giving Toon Link a Young Link alt would be pretty neat as well.

I always felt that the proportions of Toon Link were too different from that of Young Link to properly work. It's why I can't see there being a Classic Sonic costume for Sonic.

That being said, I kinda like the idea of giving Toon Link an alt that simply just makes his clothes look like YL's, as seen here.

eSWVuac.png

Clov

I always felt that the proportions of Toon Link were too different from that of Young Link to properly work. It's why I can't see there being a Classic Sonic costume for Sonic.

That being said, I kinda like the idea of giving Toon Link an alt that simply just makes his clothes look like YL's, as seen here.

eSWVuac.png

Good point about the proportions, but that costume looks a bit... off, to be honest.

eSWVuac.png

Kill it with fire.

Yeah, not feeling that mod...

Nah, that would've been another drop in the bucket for the recycled content complaint. I'm glad they made the effort to make a new stage.

YI:B is one of the best designed stages in the series, and looks fantastic in HD. I'm sure nobody would care, just like nobody cared when Smashville or Lylat came back, because people love those stages.

YI:B not being on the Wii U because of the 3DS is another crime the 3DS version committed.

YI:B is one of the best designed stages in the series, and looks fantastic in HD. I'm sure nobody would care, just like nobody cared when Smashville or Lylat came back, because people love those stages.

YI:B not being on the Wii U because of the 3DS is another crime the 3DS version committed.

It's be a bad idea to have no new Yoshi stage, but it'd would've made for a perfect complement to Woolly World. I like Melee Yoshi's Island, too, though.

Hopefully we'll see all three in the NX version.

Top Bottom