• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note I think Wii Fit Trainer is the only character I've NEVER seen on stream. Do people not like her? Is she not fun to play with? Mega Man-esque awkward? Especially bad?

I would love to try her out.

Well...there's this.

1411441446356.png

I'll wait till everyone explore these characters more.

When people make tier lists, they know tier S and above is reserved for actually degenerate characters with positive match-ups across the board right and isn't a synonym for "really good" right?

On a side note I think Wii Fit Trainer is the only character I've NEVER seen on stream. Do people not like her? Is she not fun to play with? Mega Man-esque awkward? Especially bad?

well tbf the entire top tier from Fox to Ice Climbers is labeled "S tier" in Melee for some reason (though it's really shorthand for fully viable characters there)

Makai

When people make tier lists, they know tier S and above is reserved for actually degenerate characters with positive match-ups across the board right and isn't a synonym for "really good" right?

It's hard to say if she's good or bad because she plays so weirdly. She has multiple spikes and a great projectile.

FSLink

Banned
That's exactly why!

Seriously though, it's because I'm pretty sure there's a lot of untapped potential with Shulk. Like you said, not many people have put him to use and once someone does we may start to see a lot of interesting things come out of him. At the very least, I know I'm gonna use him a lot.

I think right now what's making me skeptical about Shulk is that without custom moves, Monado art switching seems a bit slow, so being able to patch his terrible recovery to be good with jump is really tricky if you're knocked far back. He's very fun though, so maybe with a GC controller and more time he'll feel better to me. :p I do think if/when people figure out how to fully optimize his Monado modes he'll be a monster.

Right now I mostly use speed at the start of the match against projectile users, or smash to rack up damage fast, then switch to buster to KO. I mostly use fast fall'd nair, fair, and his "Ike"-esque A combo to start getting damage in.

Wii Fit Trainer is just really weird. Her ability to buff her knockback with down+B is interesting. I really want to see some competitive players bring out her potential.

Beats

She looks pretty good with the right custom moves. I'm not sure how people feel about her default setup though.

edit: I think both her and Samus look a lot better with custom moves.

Jawmuncher

It's hard to say if she's good or bad because she plays so weirdly. She has multiple spikes and a great projectile.

The more I have seen of her.
The more I am thinking that I should push her to main status instead of shulk.
I really like what I have seen so far.

DaBoss

Personally, with characters like Little Mac and Shulk, I feel tier lists are going to be odd. Little Mac is such an extreme character that just can't be placed. Shulk is a character that can probably used in many different ways.

Then we've got custom moves (which people are leaning towards allowing) that will just throw everything out the wazoo lol.
I still don't get why people are so adamantly opposed to it. No one is making it with any intention of being correct, just whatever guesses they can come up with.

I guess I could see the argument that it could stifle development of less straightforward characters. I don't think most people are dumb enough to look at a tier list, then never put any time into other characters though...
I would imagine most people would be opposed to early tier lists because they aren't accurate because they aren't based on a lot of data. Tier lists are made to give a general idea with a lot of data to make it accurate. Predictions are another story.

You would be surprised at the bolded. Heck, this doesn't even apply to fighting games either. Pokemon is the best example where this happens.
It's normal cycle for all new fighting games. Many people are trying to make early tier list for some reason, I guess they want to says, I CALLED IT FIRST or something like that. I'm pretty much used to it.
Yea, I realize it is normal, but still. Very odd.
Yeah those people don't understand what tiers are and just want a "HEY WHO'S GOOD IN THIS GAME AND WHO'S GARBAGE" and don't understand that it takes awhile to figure that shit out. They're also not usually the people that tier lists would even apply to.
Yea, exactly. Sorry about the lack of clarity on my first post on the matter, wasn't targeting anyone in particular, just a general perception.

Sold mine to get my GF a new 3DS awhile back.

Waiting for the N3DS for Omega Ruby d:

Play as Ridley, I'm curious about his moveset.

Oooh, how awesome of you. :3 Ahh, I gotcha! Playing smart with that. Hah. I need to have you on my 3DS already!

Ridley is too big for the 3DS. Look forward to the Wii U ver. :p

Cody_D165

Banned
Personally, with characters like Little Mac and Shulk, I feel tier lists are going to be odd. Little Mac is such an extreme character that just can't be placed. Shulk is a character that can probably used in many different ways.

I agree with this. Little Mac is the definition of a glass cannon and Shulk seems like he has huge untapped potential.

Zubz

Banned
Isn't that actually the antepenultimate strip? I thought they were going to 600.

Apparently 600's an Epilogue for the entire comic, but in terms of actual story, this is the second to last one. Next one wraps this "transformation" finale story up, then the last I'm assuming is "Thank You For Playing!" in comic form; Matt even said Tuesday's is the Final strip, with next Friday's being the "Final-Final" one in the description.

Not too much in this one barring what I'm reading as a Sonic Boom burn, but even then, I might just be reading into it; it seems more like set-up than anything.

emb

Then we've got custom moves (which people are leaning towards allowing) that will just throw everything out the wazoo lol.

I would imagine most people would be opposed to early tier lists because they aren't accurate because they aren't based on a lot of data. Tier lists are made to give a general idea with a lot of data to make it accurate. Predictions are another story.

You would be surprised at the bolded. Heck, this doesn't even apply to fighting games either. Pokemon is the best example where this happens.
That is true about Pokemon. But I think a lot of that has to do with there being a ridiculous number of Pokemon, and some huge disparities in viability. With Smash, it's at least reasonable to give every character a shot. I probably do overestimate people though. v.v

Really weird, polarizing characters like those, plus half-unexplored stuff like custom moves... stuff like this makes the game that much more exciting.

solomon

Well...there's this.

1411441446356.png

Why do people keep putting Olimar so low on tier list's? His smashboards forums are pretty much empty and I mean yeah he got nerfed a bit from brawl but he doesn't seem that bad. Remember is took years for his meta to develop in Brawl.The only thing is people need to adjust from a Campy Olimar to a more Offensive style, also good management with the Pikmin is going to be key (God Bless Sakurai for fixed order).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom