• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

I just popped in Brawl and went into training mode to test the tether.

God damn it's tiny to the point it's useless, awesome change!

Yeah, they're so bad in brawl, I never bothered using them. Anyone else think Ivysaur could still be in considering ZSS and tether buffs? It could just receive a new up B.

Yeah, they're so bad in brawl, I never bothered using them. Anyone else think Ivysaur could still be in considering ZSS and tether buffs? It could just receive a new up B.

I don't think the display of a feature hints at any character returning, but could potentially be a hint at any newcomers. The first idea that comes to mind for me is Simon Belmont, but I highly doubt he'd be a 3rd party rep.

Anybody else have any ideas?

I don't recall him ever saying that. Plus, the model doesn't even look like SS Link at all.

image.php

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I always use Sheik's tether to recover in Brawl. I hope she still has it, despite having a new special attack.

I don't think the display of a feature hints at any character returning, but could potentially be a hint at any newcomers. The first idea that comes to mind for me is Simon Belmont, but I highly doubt he'd be a 3rd party rep.

Anybody else have any ideas?

The villager could always have a fishing rod tether.

Greninja could use his tongue

I wonder if sheik will have her chain tether?

Pacman could chomp on pellets and the pellets could be the tether LOL prolly not

Today's PotD is made for me (Link main forever).

Started playing Project M with my brother lately and I'm always using hookshot, absolutely love directional L-dodging and quickly following it up with hookshoting the ledge to recover, so nice... of course Smash 4's not going to be the same as that, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Yes, like I said. Wonder Red.

I'm going to have nightmares imagining Yoshi's tongue as long as the tethers in todays pic.

Just because a game is exclusive to a Nintendo platform doesn't make its characters Nintendo property. Take Bayonetta, for example. Bayonetta 2 is exclusive, but not Nintendo's character. Or Jack from MadWorld. Or Leon when RE4 was exclusive to the Gameboy.

I know that Nintendo published the game, but they also published Banjo-Kazooie and don't own those characters.

Unless I've got my info wrong and Wonderful 101 is a special case, wouldn't it be the same here? Does Nintendo own the characters of Wonderful 101?

MilkybKid

Neo Member
Unless I've got my info wrong and Wonderful 101 is a special case, wouldn't it be the same here? Does Nintendo own the characters of Wonderful 101?

I think Wonderful 101 is Nintendo IP, Nintendo of America own the trademark for the name so i think its safe to assume they also have the copyright on the characters.

Just because a game is exclusive to a Nintendo platform doesn't make its characters Nintendo property. Take Bayonetta, for example. Bayonetta 2 is exclusive, but not Nintendo's character. Or Jack from MadWorld. Or Leon when RE4 was exclusive to the Gameboy.

I know that Nintendo published the game, but they also published Banjo-Kazooie and don't own those characters.

It's... not exactly a special case.

Let's see what else Nintendo owns that was developed by third parties...

Pokemon
Sin and Punishment
Eternal Darkness
Custom Robo
Chibi-Robo
Golden Sun
Endless Ocean
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Dillon's Rolling Western

And that isn't a comprehensive list.

and don't yell at me if any of those were fully first party ;_;

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Excellent update. :)

Good tethers. Clawshot is still < Hookshot though.

So... are there any other Tether characters besides the Links and Samus? ZSS had one, but it looks like it was replaced by that jet-boot upperkick (no wait, she'd still have it as her grab). Any other's I'm blanking on?

fake edit: oh wait, Lucas uses the rope snake right? I'm taking this as a confirmation of his return then. Why spend a bunch of time improving tethers, only to cut one of the few characters who uses them?

You might got something there but at same time, we might get few more newcomers with tether so I'm curious which character would be more likely to use tether?

Also Sheik lost her chain special move, so I don't think she would do tether again.

Just wait, he'll end up replacing both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. :loll

I'd be so down for having 8 Pokemon reps but it ain't gonna happen... ;_;

Oh man I sure hope so. I don't think we've seen his grab yet?

Yes, we did, but not completely. In trailer, he would had zero suit samus in whirlpool attack then toss her up in the air.

I've always been terrible at tether.

Advice: Press Shield then Z button (Shield + Attack) quickly

Seems weird they would change this after going out of there way to retool everyone who only had a tether as an up b recovery. The only Brawl vet left who could only recover with tether left is Ivysaur who most people assume is gone.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Seems weird they would change this after going out of there way to retool everyone who only had a tether as an up b recovery. The only Brawl vet left who could only recover with tether left is Ivysaur who most people assume is gone.

Lucas and Ivysaur; so I have a feeling that we are getting very few newcomers that could use tether. Shiek's Side B used to allowed her to tether to the ledge, but now she lost that move, and Olimar lost his tether ability as well.

Edited: Villager would able to use his fishing rod as tether ability would be cool.

Edited2: I saw it at smashboard, and I thought it was somewhat hilarious.

85bRejC.png

Edited3: Did we see Toon Link with Hookshot yet?

Lucas and Ivysaur; so I have a feeling that we are getting very few newcomers that could use tether. Shiek's Side B would allowed her to tether to the ledge, but now she lost that move so I'm curious about it.

Edited: Villager would able to use his fishing rod as tether ability would be cool.

Edited2: I saw it at smashboard, and I thought it was somewhat hilarious.

85bRejC.png

I said characters who ONLY had a tether recovery which was Ivysaur and Olimar (and ZSS to a lesser extent as her down b could slightly help with recovery). In the smash direct Sakurai went out of his way to show that Olimar and ZSS had their recoveries change to primarily not be tethers due to how easy they were to gimp in Brawl. If they changed the mechanics of tethers to make them actually viable why bother giving Olimar and ZSS new recoveries?

I guess from the image they're trying to make Link and Samus's tethers have a bit more horizontal range to make them a viable alternative to their up b depending on how far they got smashed which makes sense and seems like a nice buff for them. I also can't think of many times you'd want to use Lucas tether opposed to his side b as in brawl his up b went farther iirc

emb

I want to take this opportunity to complain about Brawl style tethers again.

Just one more case of Melee having it right, and Sakurai sticking with some of the bad ideas he implemented to 'fix' it.
Ok, ok, so it isn't actually that big a deal. Still just rubs me the wrong way. I'll wait and see how it is in this though, with new ledge rules or whatnot.

Toxi

Banned
I said characters who ONLY had a tether recovery which was Ivysaur and Olimar (and ZSS to a lesser extent as her down b could slightly help with recovery). In the smash direct Sakurai went out of his way to show that Olimar and ZSS had their recoveries change to primarily not be tethers due to how easy they were to gimp in Brawl. If they changed the mechanics of tethers to make them actually viable why bother giving Olimar and ZSS new recoveries?

I guess from the image they're trying to make Link and Samus's tethers have a bit more horizontal range to make them a viable alternative to their up b depending on how far they got smashed which makes sense and seems like a nice buff for them. I also can't think of many times you'd want to use Lucas tether opposed to his side b as in brawl his up b went farther iirc
For Samus, it's more about having a quick horizontal option that's harder to intercept. She can already recover huge horizontal distance with her slow fall and bomb jumping.

Link though REALLY needed this.
I don't think I ever used a tether recovery in Melee, the few times I tried I could have just as easily used an up b to recover
It's very useful with Samus against edge-guarding.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I recalled that people were waiting for any evidence of boomerang in the game. I'm not sure if anyone pointed it out yet?

daily-2014-04-12-131.jpg

My bad. I should have read carefully but I didn't. MaybeI shouldn't post when I was sleepy from the morning.

Since Olimar's pikmins are going to be limited to 3, so the teether recovery would be even more shorter which isn't good for Olimar so they need to give him better recovery to trade it off with limitation of pikmins.

For Zero Suit Samus, I'm pretty sure that she would keep her Side-B Tether recovery. I can't blame him for taking that move out because Side B can be flawed because sometime it wouldn't connected for no apparent reason.

I think Sakurai and the team probably trying to tone down with a huge horizontal and vertical recoveries to make it harder for characters to come back to the stage. Super Smash Bros Brawl engines made it ridiculously easy for most of characters to come back, so I really can see that they are going to tone it down heavily.

I'm pretty sure that Lucas' recovery was decent in Brawl, depend on the players. Lucas' tether recovery is insane good in Project M. I have couple of friends that kept coming back with Lucas because of the snake.

I also can't think of many times you'd want to use Lucas tether opposed to his side b as in brawl

Is Side B in Brawl as PK Fire right? I don't really see how it helped Lucas with recovery?

Toxi

Banned
Lucas's up-B seems like a hassle, although it's still nowhere near as Godawful as Ness's.

I feel sorry for Ness players trying to recover against shit like Falco.
Sakurai will find a way. Bottom tier guaranteed
Well, Link's two main weaknesses are bad recovery and attack lag. If his recovery is decent and he's still bottom-tier, he'll be slow as Bowser.

Fandangox

Is Side B in Brawl as PK Fire right? I don't really see how it helped Lucas with recovery?

I haven't played in a long time, so probably not remembering accurately, but Lucas' PK fire when performed for the first time in the air pushed Lcas far back to the opposite direction he fired it.

It was either that, or a exploit that managed to make you Push Lucas with his PK Fire.

KHlover

Banned
Lucas's up-B seems like a hassle, although it's still nowhere near as Godawful as Ness's.

I feel sorry for Ness players trying to recover against shit like Falco.

Well, Link's two main weaknesses are bad recovery and attack lag. If his recovery is decent and he's still bottom-tier, he'll be slow as Bowser.

Didn't Bowser get a speed buff?

Toxi

Banned
Bowser got a speed buff, but it'd be weird if he weren't still one of the slowest characters with that size and power.

Maybe he's more like DK now; fast but risky. That'd give Boozer fans reason to celebrate.

Also, has anyone noticed how similar Samus and Link are? Both are slightly heavy projectile users who have tether grabs and are hindered by their attack lag. Even their place in the tier list roughly corresponds (obviously Samus fared better in Melee).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Derp I dunno why I said side b meant up b pk thunder -.-

Alright, my bad. I should have know that. Lucas' up B is way better than Ness, but still not good against characters with good recoveries. They would jump and attack you easily because you would be so opened to the attacks awhile you are trying to focus to get PK thunder to hit you. It's situational for me.

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure that everyone get speed buff because the game is little quicker than Brawl's.

Edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghEhI4CJjAM&feature=youtu.be

HECK YEAHHHHHHHHH!

Toxi

Banned
I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure that everyone get speed buff because the game is little quicker than Brawl's.
Link still looks slow. :p

the new physics will provide some changes on their own. Captain Falcon wasn't specifically nerfed that much between Melee and Brawl, it's more like the game just changed around him to completely invalidate how he played. Same thing might happen with some Brawl characters thanks to more hitstun and other changes.

No directional air dodge makes me sad though.

Toxi

Banned
Best Buy demo? When that happens, I'll be there. I want to feel how the game plays.

So it's not outside of the USA? That sucks for you foreigners. :-/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Looks like I'm visiting best buy, my local store better have the smash bros thing set up

I can't wait to see that none of my Best buy would be selected to host Demo for Nintendo games.

Best Buy Smash tournaments during E3? So called this.

Kinda Predictable since they did same thing last year, so it actually work for Nintendo so I wouldn't be surprised that they would do it again.

This isn't hinting at any new characters. It could easily just be the two links and Samus,and maybe Lucas as well (although that'd be one long snake). Don't look into it too much.

On the other hand, the update also still hints at new ledge grabbing mechanics, with the "is determined by the same rules" part being intentionally vague.

Top Bottom