• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

I wasn't aware. But I've only played Awakening (like a lot of people), so a more recent character would've been nice.

I tend to think Zelda fans outnumber Fire Emblem fans, so that's why Toon Link would've been missed more. Not because of his gameplay, which isn't very unique.

You keep saying that ike's gameplay isn't very unique when that is objectively incorrect. The ironic part is that you are presumably advocating for chrom or lucina who would be marth clones most likely lol.

Codeblue

Looks like my main and favorite lord is back (even if he isn't rocking his lord class anymore). Vanguard Ike looks awesome. I totally thought he'd get cut.

Here's hoping Chrom/Lucina shows up in three weeks.

Shun

Also, Ike is extremely popular in the FE community.

Better than fucking Roy, we could have gotten Eliwood or Leif but we got stuck with a character who was useless throughout the duration of his game :[

Horrid growth rates, bad base stats, took forever to promote the unit.

Plus super cliche and boring personality compared to other main characters in Fire Emblem, barring Chrom. But let's be serious, even Chrom was more interesting and was a better unit than Roy in Fire Emblem.

I wasn't aware. But I've only played Awakening (like a lot of people), so a more recent character would've been nice.

I tend to think Zelda fans outnumber Fire Emblem fans, so that's why Toon Link would've been missed more. Not because of his gameplay, which isn't very unique.

Ike and Marth are the Only Fire Emblem characters to be the protagonist in two different Fire Emblem games, so it makes sense he's in. Also Ike defeated
God in his last game, so he is the strongest Fire Emblem character ever in a way

FSLink

Banned
Better than fucking Roy, we could have gotten Eliwood or Leif but we got stuck with a character who was useless throughout the duration of his game :[

Plus super cliche and boring personality compared to other main characters in Fire Emblem, barring Chrom. But let's be serious, even Chrom was more interesting and was a better unit than Roy in Fire Emblem.

Roy would be kind of interesting updated if they gave him the ability to sling Fireballs with the Sword of Seals and being able to self heal, but yeah he's not really interesting outside of that. People mostly like Roy due to his Melee appearance/advertisement for FE6, he's definitely one of the least interesting Lords. Would have loved Sigurd or Leif over him in Melee for sure. I do like his VA and his Project M version.

Canon

Banned
There isn't anything that's saying Chrom or Robin or someone from Awakening isn't in yet. Though I'm sure we'll hear outcries of "so many bluehaired Lords" if Chrom makes it in. I personally don't care as long as long as he has a cool moveset to use. We really shouldn't be saying "x would have been nice" when the roster isn't fully revealed yet..
I hope to be proven wrong, but at the moment I don't think I am. Yeah, 3 blue-haired Fire Emblem characters seems like overkill.

Roy... I only know him as the red-haired guy. I liked him. Most people haven't played Fire Emblem to know he (apparently) sucks? Again I'm not hiding my bias, this is personal preference.

Roy had more personality in Melee then he did in his own game, although he fighting animation in swords of seals was amazing to watch

I hope to be proven wrong, but at the moment I don't think I am. Yeah, 3 blue-haired Fire Emblem characters seems like overkill.

Roy... I only know him as the red-haired guy. I liked him. Most people haven't played Fire Emblem to know he (apparently) sucks? Again I'm not hiding my bias, this is personal preference.

Roy does indeed suck in his own game. He has no personality and is such a generic protagonist. he's like Stahl without the food gimmick

Does anyone else think with Ike's return, it may make it more probable for Robin to be the F.E. newcomer?

3 blue haired lords does seem like it's pushing it.

Codeblue

Why are you arguing if you admit you don't know what you're talking about? Smash isn't about variety in hair color.

Does anyone else think with Ike's return, it may make it more probable for Robin to be the F.E. newcomer?

I'm not understanding how more than one person came to the conclusion that hair color can be a deciding factor on who Sakurai selects.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
MOTHERFUCKING YES - IKE'S BACK BABY
image.php

wut

More probable and the right call. I love Chrom, but with Ike revealed we really don't need another sword-weilding rep from Fire Emblem. If they do the Chrom/Lucina together idea, I'd be cool, but I'd rather have a magic wielding character.

Why are you arguing if you admit you don't know what you're talking about? Smash isn't about variety in hair color.

It isn't just the hair color though; Chrom would basically be a mix between marth and ike which is rather uninspired compared to Robin or Chrom/lucina pairing or Anna even.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member

The only Robin that should be in Smash is this one. He doesn't have blue hair!

Isaac_trophy.jpg

Again it's his Japanese name.

You're making assumptions about a notoriously unpredictable director.

True dat.

There is no telling what Sakurai may have up his sleeve but if past games are anything to go by, it'll be a lord from the latest f.e. game and that means chrom and if his moveset isn't a radical departure, color me disappointed.

Sponge

Banned
So let's say Smash had only two more sword users. Who would you pick?

I'd go for Shulk, but I'm at a crossroads with my second pick. I'd want either Issac or
Ganondorf.

GamerSoul

nah, their outfits will set them apart. Chrom will definitely feature white and dark blues in his design like in Awakening. But what do I know, I thought Ike was a goner.

Codeblue

True dat.

There is no telling what Sakurai may have up his sleeve but if past games are anything to go by, it'll be a lord from the latest f.e. game and that means chrom and if his moveset isn't a radical departure, color me disappointed.

I'll join you in that disappointment. I'd rather have Anna, but hopefully Sakurai can make Chrom interesting.

So let's say Smash had only 2 more sword users. Who would you pick?

I'd go for Shulk, but I'm at a crossroads with my second pick. I'd want either Issac or
Ganondorf.

Shulk and Issac as well, at this piont I'll even take Felix just as long as Golden Sun gets a rep, they deserve it.

Aexact

If people are still following the Gematsu leak about Chrom, then I doubt it.

Even if they're all blue haired lords, Ike got big and has his red cape, Marth is using more black in his outfit then his Brawl outfit, and Chrom's is highlighted by white. Even visually, they can probably distinguish themselves from each other. Ike and Marth barely fight the same to start with. Still thinking Chrom's coming.

Robin makes a lot of sense to me since with villager, W.F.T. & possibly Mii, they already have a precedence for customizable gender based characters, plus it would be a needed departure from swordnlords

FSLink

Banned
More probable and the right call. I love Chrom, but with Ike revealed we really don't need another sword-weilding rep from Fire Emblem. If they do the Chrom/Lucina together idea, I'd be cool, but I'd rather have a magic wielding character.

Or Chrom/Robin duo (Lucina is awesome and all but I think from a gameplay perspective this would be more interesting.)

Either way I think a 3rd FE rep is likely. Looking forward to seeing who it is and what gameplay they can bring to the cast.

I'd be disappointed if there's no Awakening rep, but as long as they use a lot of the music from that game, I'd be satisfied.

So let's say Smash had only two more sword users. Who would you pick?

Ganondorf.

Shulk and Isaac. Although I would really want Takamaru..

Ganondorf will have dark magic like he should!

Zalman

I'm not understanding how more than one person came to the conclusion that hair color can be a deciding factor on who Sakurai selects.
It's all about variety. It's the same reason why Sakurai has been selecting more female fighters this time. Different types of characters create an interesting game.

EulaCapra

Did not expect a character reveal today... let alone any day before E3. And for it to be Ike who I foolishly presumed might get cut.

And an Ike.... with so much muscle. I'm eagerly awaiting the Ike x Little Mac fan art.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
True dat.

Well guess who also uses Aether.

Now why Sakurai would even need to mention that Ike still uses it?
Sakurai mind games.

ffdgh

....Gotta say I didn't see this coming. I say the fit trainers sure have been busy buffing characters up :p. Hopefully he's not as slow like brawl.

Looks like snake will be stuck in brawl purgatory.

Edit...Ike actually references the title XD.

Top Bottom