• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Shun

Are all of the assets just being recycled from other 3DS games? It's beyond embarrassing at this point. Fortunately the Wii U version still looks outstanding, but I can't say the same for this one.

Well they have to keep within budget somehow and besides, I'd much rather have them recycle assets and focus on more important things than waste time making new models just for the 3DS version. It's also better than outsourcing the work and getting something half-assed.

The 3DS version looks great in terms of gameplay. I'm guessing the damage meter and all the other stuff will be displayed on the touch screen. All they need to announce now is Circle Pad Pro support and I'd be happy with that.

They should also definitely bring back:
  • L-Cancelling or at least reduce lag when landing to make up for that.
  • Bring back waveshines, shinespikes, Ice Climber Desyncs, and bring back high priority Jigglypuff.
  • Increase the sweetspots for the C. Falcon and Zelda's f-airs, and Ness's dropkick.
  • Give Marth's sweetspot for those Ken combos.
  • Buff Peach's aerial game.
  • Have tether recoveries work even when someone else is on the ledge. Sucks play Ivysaur or ZSS and getting gimped due to crap recoveries.

09.png

It starting to bother me how much stuff they're straight up ripping from 3DS/Wii games.

It's starting to bother me as well, but as long as the game is good, I can't really complain.

On another note, I really hated tether recoveries in Brawl for some reason. Link's Hookshot recovery in Melee just seemed like a fun thing to try and never something I'd actually do in a match. I remember being so surprised when I saw him do it in one of the "Congratulations!" videos. Brawl took the novelty out, I suppose. It's not a big deal, though, just thought I'd give my opinion since it was brought up. And while we're at it, I hated swimming and footstool jumps as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Smash 3DS is quite unique in the series in that it's the only one that has lots of stages based on games that are for the same system. The previous games have mostly had stages based on the generation before.

Are all of the assets just being recycled from other 3DS games? It's beyond embarrassing at this point. Fortunately the Wii U version still looks outstanding, but I can't say the same for this one.
It sucks but it looks good up close. What really sucks is that these screens are upclose. Playing it on the actual 3DS will make them look pretty bad I believe but whatever..hope they have like adjustable camera but then again smash is not played that way.

It starting to bother me how much stuff they're straight up ripping from 3DS/Wii games.

Why go through the trouble of building a shy guy + cart model from the ground up? Nobody gives a shit what they look like, they'll just be zooming by and all you'll think is "better get out of the way!" The time spent building a brand new shiny shy guy is better spent making the far far FAR more important characters/assist trophies/etc. look better.

EDIT: I'm starting to think this picture-a-day thing is a bad idea. Everyone will find SOMETHING to complain about every day it seems. This is one of the more negative threads on GAF as of late.

qq more

Why go through the trouble of building a shy guy + cart model from the ground up? Nobody gives a shit what they look like, they'll just be zooming by and all you'll think is "better get out of the way!" The time spent building a brand new shiny shy guy is better spent making the far far FAR more important characters/assist trophies/etc. look better.

EDIT: I'm starting to think this picture-a-day thing is a bad idea. Everyone will find SOMETHING to complain about every day it seems. This is one of the more negative threads on GAF as of late.

Games should never be above criticism. I love Smash Bros but come on dude, he's entitled to his opinion.

Games should never be above criticism. I love Smash Bros but come on dude, he's entitled to his opinion.

You know communities like GAF exist for discussion, right? People just spouting opinions with no one responding to them is hardly discussion.

And I just think it's ridiculous to knock points off of a fighting game because a few very unimportant models weren't built from the ground up.

Just noticed the ropes bending.

Why are all three bending when one's only being stood on?

wut

Because he's just jumped on the top one, which has lowered and hit the bottom two, stretching them. They're now relaxing? That's the only way I can see it making sense.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know communities like GAF exist for discussion, right? People just spouting opinions with no one responding to them is hardly discussion.

And I just think it's ridiculous to knock points off of a fighting game because a few very unimportant models weren't built from the ground up.

Pretty much. I never understood how "opinions" is used as a defense. So what if that's an opinion? Doesn't mean it can't be discussed.

Besides, even as far as 64 they were reusing models. Hell, not even models, but sprites lol

SmithnCo

I didn't realise people cared so much if they rip a shy guy model or make their own. If the asset looks good enough and fits in their poly budget then why not. Not like you're going to be playing the shy guys.

Kokonoe

Banned

Nothing wrong with what you said at first but:

"EDIT: I'm starting to think this picture-a-day thing is a bad idea. Everyone will find SOMETHING to complain about every day it seems. This is one of the more negative threads on GAF as of late."

this is where it seems like you can't deal with other's complaints despite mentioning a complaint of other people. That's all he was saying.

Why is Samus so low res?
Everything was fine until I saw her.

It's exactly the same resolution as the other renders. I got them all from Smashbros.com and I keep them in relation to their original size.

I actually recreated this specific update with all new images, so everything should be the same resolution.

qq more

I didn't realise people cared so much if they rip a shy guy model or make their own. If the asset looks good enough and fits in their poly budget then why not. Not like you're going to be playing the shy guys.

But the thing is that there's people that actually cares about visuals, which is not a bad thing at all. It's fine that you don't care that much, but there is nothing wrong with otherwise either.

I have no issues with you disagreeing but I do not appreciate the fact that you are unwilling to accept another's view.

I'll just drop this now because I don't want to derail the thread.

SmithnCo

But the thing is that there's people that actually cares about visuals, which is not a bad thing at all. It's fine that you don't care that much, but there is nothing wrong with otherwise either.

I don't really see any evidence that a custom-made shy guy model would be any better than the prebuilt one. It's a 3ds game and they have plenty of shy guys on screen, there's only so detailed they can be. I do care about visuals but not enough to bemoan asset reuse which will ease development.

Platy

so lovely that he taunt us with the unchoosable shyguy colors in mk7...err antiguy lol.

Shy guys had diferent colors when you got download play .... did anyone went to all the 8 3DSs with download play ?

one MUST be a black shy guy =P

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If asset ripping means they are only going to give us 3DS games based stages then I'd be disappointed but until the final game is out it is too early to tell.

I mean I'd hope Kirby gets a B&W Dream Land stage just because that would reference Sakurai's first game.

qq more

If asset ripping means they are only going to give us 3DS games based stages then I'd be disappointed but until the final game is out it is too early to tell.

I mean I'd hope Kirby gets a B&W Dream Land stage just because that would reference Sakurai's first game.

That would be honestly awesome. They have to do that with a stage since this version being based on handheld history is a perfect opportunity for it!

SmithnCo

Why? It's not like they're using assets their company didn't make, they're making use of things that are already there. That's a good thing for development.

Plus, they're trying to stay as true to each game as possible. Using assets from the games just seems like a win/win. Especially if it's background details that aren't front and center.

Hopefully there are some brand new stages that reference older games too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A new 3DS stage, awesome!
Bring on the Rainbow Road music!

It's already confirmed last month but it's nice to see more screenshots.

Oh good, I was about to send you a pm to make sure you saw. lol

I hope it's a smaller character if anything... I can clear a spot easy.

Luke Meta Knight. Actually I don't mind to see Metaknight to get revealed tomorrow to get it over with.

Seriously, I'm started to thinking that we mightn't get reveal tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with what you said at first but:

"EDIT: I'm starting to think this picture-a-day thing is a bad idea. Everyone will find SOMETHING to complain about every day it seems. This is one of the more negative threads on GAF as of late."

this is where it seems like you can't deal with other's complaints despite mentioning a complaint of other people. That's all he was saying.

I was just stating that it seems like people are LOOKING for things to complain about. I don't disrespect people hating on things like balance issues (I'm sure this game will have plenty), stupid game mechanics, bad move sets, wasted character slots, whatever. Those are things worth venting/complaining about (If you don't like them). But when you're complaining about something that has been a part of a series forever and never affected anyone until a close-up screenshot, then something's wrong.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Everyone predicting a Kirby character tomorrow when it could very well be a stage as he hasn't got one yet.

Or the return of the Maxim Tomato.

Exotoro

complaint of the day

also if you think this one of the more negative threads on gaf you should see the ones that mention the wii u lol

Top Bottom