• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Ryce

Pit was easily the most requested, talked about retro character prior to his announcement in Brawl. There were even "rumors" that he was going to be in Melee.

EDIT: Haha, this article from 2001 is still up.
We will speculate that some of the heroes rumored to be in the game include Luigi, Pit, Jiggly Puff, Balloon Kid, and Ganondorf .

liveman789

Neo Member
If we do end up getting two retro reps, it'd be cool if Sakurai included a western and eastern retro character. Like Takamaru and Mike Jones.

RomanceDawn

I think Takamaru would be the safest and blandest retro rep that they could go with.

I'm hoping the go for something different, like Duck Hunt Dog or Sheriff.

What?! What part of throws shurikens, fire balls, turns invisible and summons lightning do you find bland?

I’m not trying to “convert” anyone, but objectively, Takamaru is a sensible retro character addition.

In 1986, Nintendo released four major titles for the new Famicom Disk System peripheral: The Legend of Zelda, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Metroid, and Kid Icarus. The Nintendo EAD department’s main title was The Legend of Zelda, and Nintendo R&D1’s main project was Metroid. Murasame Castle was built using the Zelda engine, and Kid Icarus was based off of the Metroid engine.

Just looking at Murasame Castle next to Zelda, the similarities are immediately apparent.

cOfqN10.jpg
CpG2mX1.jpg

The game was also scored by Koji Kondo, who did the music for The Legend of Zelda.

Nintendo of America figured Westerners wouldn’t be interested in a game based on feudal Japan so it never saw release outside of Japan. Had it been localized in 1986, there’s no doubt in my mind that the game would be regarded as a classic and that a ton of people would want Takamaru in Smash Bros.

People who aren’t familiar with the game deride Takamaru for being “just another swordsman,” but that isn’t the case. Not only are there no samurai-style characters in Smash Bros., but Takamaru uses shuriken, he throws fireballs, he can turn invisible, and he can even summon lightning.

Also, a fun fact: The Mysterious Murasame Castle was adapted into a live action TV drama in 1986.

Well, you've convinced me.

Azure J

StarTropics wasn't even released in Japan, so Mike jones chances are about as low as Geno, Sukapon and Toad.

We're working
Believe.gif-ing
with the idea that Sakurai would seek a mirror or analogue to Takamaru to randomly surprise with. A character that's fond in the east but (mostly) unknown to the west and a character that's "known" in the west but unknown to the east would be pretty cool.

Speaking of which, if Mike ever made it into Smash, I would want them to entirely focus him around the Yo-Yo/Morning Star/Supernova. Make all of his attacks different fast yo-yo tricks (think Bridget from Guilty Gear) and make it so Smash attacks would represent how that Yo-Yo "changes" into more powerful forms while charging it up. Anklets for recovery and maybe a special where he uses the more one off weaponry from the games and he'd be perfect.

Ness doesn't scratch the yo-yo/flail weapon itch enough.

I really wonder if Japanese Nintendo fans like Sakurai are aware of StarTropics at all. American Nintendo fans are obviously familiar with some Japan-only games like Mother 3 and there was a small Fire Emblem following prior to Melee, but I don't think I know of anyone who had even heard of the original FDS game of Murasame Jo before Japanese fans became so vocal about Takamaru.

I mean, it'd probably be more likely for a Japanese fan to be familiar with an America-only NES game since many Japanese have a small understanding of English I think, but I'd like to know just how much awareness there is of StarTropics in particular.

JazzmanZ

We're working
Believe.gif-ing
with the idea that Sakurai would seek a mirror or analogue to Takamaru to randomly surprise with. A character that's fond in the east but (mostly) unknown to the west and a character that's "known" in the west but unknown to the east would be pretty cool.

Speaking of which, if Mike ever made it into Smash, I would want them to entirely focus him around the Yo-Yo/Morning Star/Supernova. Make all of his attacks different fast yo-yo tricks (think Bridget from Guilty Gear) and make it so Smash attacks would represent how that Yo-Yo "changes" into more powerful forms while charging it up. Anklets for recovery and maybe a special where he uses the more one off weaponry from the games and he'd be perfect.

Ness doesn't scratch the yo-yo/flail weapon itch enough.

I dunno, Little mac seems apt as the west character, sure he had a new wii game, but he's still retro like pit is.

Actually how popular is Little mac in Japan even?

Ryce

Actually how popular is Little mac in Japan even?
Little Mac's Japanese popularity is practically nonexistent. I do more snooping around the Japanese message boards and fan sites than I'd care to admit, and Little Mac is rarely mentioned. In the unlikely event that he is brought up, it's merely to comment on his popularity in America. I've never actually seen a Japanese fan personally request him.

Jaeger

I still don't understand the obsession with wanting Little Mac in SSB. A boxer; No powers or abilities. Boring design.

So many more interesting characters out there, IMO.

Azure J

I really wonder if Japanese Nintendo fans like Sakurai are aware of StarTropics at all. American Nintendo fans are obviously familiar with some Japan-only games like Mother 3 and there was a small Fire Emblem following prior to Melee, but I don't think I know of anyone who had even heard of the original FDS game of Murasame Jo before Japanese fans became so vocal about Takamaru.

I mean, it'd probably be more likely for a Japanese fan to be familiar with an America-only NES game since many Japanese have a small understanding of English I think, but I'd like to know just how much awareness there is of StarTropics in particular.

I've really always wanted to find this out just to know how small a pocket of fandom we are. Guess the only way we'd ever find out is if it got a JPN release on the Wii U Virtual Console and people raided the Miiverse for it. =/

At the same time, I like that someone was actually name dropping the franchise in questions they asked Sakurai directly before. 0.01% chance is still a chance! :lol

JazzmanZ

Little Mac's Japanese popularity is practically nonexistent. I do more snooping around the Japanese message boards and fan sites than I'd care to admit, and Little Mac is rarely mentioned. In the unlikely event that he is brought up, it's merely to comment on his popularity in America. I've never actually seen a Japanese fan personally request him.

Well there you go! A non-exsistant Japanese character for America, and a non-exsistant American character for Japan.

Azure J

What's popular over there? I'd really love to hear this.

I still don't understand the obsession with wanting Little Mac in SSB. A boxer; No powers or abilities. Boring design.

If he's the right combination of fast and dodgy/tricky, he'd be really good for the roster. If you're familiar with Street Fighter, you should think less Balrog and more Dudley. Or Akihiko from the Persona fighters.

Nostalgia or dedication to the character through enjoyment of his games. I know you want Mewtwo back so it could be a similar situation for you? Although Mewtwo now has reason to return, Little Mac has had some recent games but nothing too new. I'd still like to see more random out of no where characters myself.

DaBoss

I wonder if Little Mac is in the game, would Sakurai make him only use his hands (punching gloves)? That would be really interesting.

Giga Mac could be his final smash.

Don't forget what Sakurai said about Takamaru during Melee development, but he probably would forget what he said long time ago. He said that if Takamaru got other games then he would consider him to be in Smash. After Brawl got released, he got three different games; Captain Rainbow, NintendoLand and Samurai Warrior 3.

Why Brawl? He only got very small sticker.

TCyEY1B.png
Well thats how I found about him.. actually idk maybe before brawl I cant remember.

Fiktion

Banned
Smashboards have come up with a few promising Little Mac movesets, one of which incorporates the star system for his specials.

They also note that Namco has done pure boxer characters in fighting games before. With the Tekken team on board this might be the best time to add Little Mac.

A samurai and a boxer would be welcome additions IMO.

Jaeger

Is there another boxer in Smash?

Not really what i'm getting at. I just don't think he's interesting enough for Smash.

If he's the right combination of fast and dodgy/tricky, he'd be really good for the roster. If you're familiar with Street Fighter, you should think less Balrog and more Dudley. Or Akihiko from the Persona fighters.

I'm not saying he can't be made to be competitive. Any good imagination could make it viable. I just don't care for him enough to want that.

Nostalgia or dedication to the character through enjoyment of his games. I know you want Mewtwo back so it could be a similar situation for you? Although Mewtwo now has reason to return, Little Mac has had some recent games but nothing too new. I'd still like to see more random out of no where characters myself.

I wouldn't even place them in the same category, personally. But if Sakurai hears the fans who ask for him in the US, then I hope they get what they want.

I would much rather see a Cranky Kong, or something of that nature before Little Mac. He literally just punches.

Javier

I still think Sakurai will throw us a curve ball and put Bubbles from Clu Clu Land as the retro/WTF character if there's one.

Also, I think saying Sakurai not knowing what StarTropics is because the game was never released in Japan is REALLY selling Sakurai short.

Jaeger

People said the same thing about Rosalina. If Sakurai wants the character in, he will come up with an interesting moveset.

Again, I'm not saying he can't be made into something viable. But as of now, from how he has appeared in his own games, he's just boring, and I don't understand why he is requested so much.

Azure J

People said the same thing about Rosalina. If Sakurai wants the character in, he will come up with an interesting moveset.

I actually remember when people would immediately call "Peach clone" if you said you wanted Rosalina or Daisy in as a new Mario rep. Now, Rosalina Rosestar and Luma Platinum are the single most creative newcomer entry in the franchise to date.

Ryce

What's popular over there? I'd really love to hear this.
There really aren't any characters that the Japanese fan base as a whole has latched onto, so it's tough to generalize. Mewtwo is definitely the most requested character, though. I'd probably say Palutena, Chrom, and Lucina are the most talked about potential newcomers. Come to think of it, practically every Pokémon, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem character has fans over there.

Village

Some people lack imaginative brain function.

"Oh the godess woman lady with the powers of the universe at large has no moveset for smash. "

Even though its done, remembering people even had that notion makes me agitated.

Azure J

There really aren't any characters that the Japanese fan base as a whole has latched onto, so it's tough to generalize. Mewtwo is definitely the most requested character, though. I'd probably say Palutena, Chrom, and Lucina are the most talked about potential newcomers. Come to think of it, practically every Pokémon, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem character has fans over there.

So not much different over there then. :p

Alt Post: Palutena and Mewtwo confirmed.

Gartooth

Not every character needs to be a super complex mind fuck, I enjoy simple and straightforward characters which Wii Fit Trainer is looking to be.

Drago

Any Chibi Robo mentions? :|

Ryce

So not much different over there then. :p
What's kind of funny is that perhaps the three most requested newcomers in the West -- Little Mac, Ridley, and King K. Rool -- are among the least discussed characters in Japan. There's very little interest for those three over there.

DaBoss

Not every character needs to be a super complex mind fuck, I enjoy simple and straightforward characters which Wii Fit Trainer is looking to be.
And in another sense, Wii Fit Trainer is a mind fuck just due to what her moves are based off of and the fact that practically no one thought about the character.

jph139

Yeah, I'm hoping that Little Mac is pretty basic. A lot of the newcomers are absolutely wild - Rosalina obviously, Mega Man has his pellet gun, Villager is completely out of the box. I mean, compare guys like Donkey Kong and Captain Falcon, whose specials are just basic punches and kicks or short area-of-effect attacks, to the Villager's "plant/water/chop a tree" and "inflate poppable balloons" and "summon a projectile and then ride it across the screen."

Sometimes you need "bland" characters to make the others stand out more. Being boring would almost make Mac interesting.

What's kind of funny is that perhaps the three most requested newcomers in the West -- Little Mac, Ridley, and King K. Rool -- are among the least discussed characters in Japan. There's very little interest for those three over there.
I'd say Mewtwo and Palutena are a lot more requested on these boards than Little Mac and especially King K. Rool.

Fiktion

Banned
Wii Fit Trainer occupies the same niche as Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, and ROB before her. She's the WTF character.

I wouldn't put K. Rool up there with Little Mac and Ridley. I think even the crazy DK fans have come to accept that the ship has sailed.

Loco4Coco

Wii Fit Trainer occupies the same niche as Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, and ROB before her. She's the WTF character.

I wouldn't put K. Rool up there with Little Mac and Ridley. I think even the crazy DK fans have come to accept that the ship has sailed.

Hopefully that ship does a U-turn.

EulaCapra

More Jigglypuff mentions yay! Seguing into Jiggly, let's modify Jiggly's Up-B special and pretend Sing/Sleep effect goes active in charged smash attacks. What should her Up-B move be?

Hyper Voice or Dazzling Gleam seem obvious, but I'd go with the move, Round, an attack that hurts opponents with a song. Jiggly could belt out a projectile note. Could still cause sleep.

Top Bottom