• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Zalman

Random likely fake character select screen:

9FAHuDB.jpg
I really love the artwork, but I hope they don't go for a white background again. That's just me.

I'm not sure why someone would go to the trouble of faking a select screen just to add one new character and Yoshi

Also for those saying fake because no Wario/Diddy/other likely starting character, if this was real (it isn't) it'd probably be the select screen for a demo event or something where only confirmed characters are playable. So if this were real (which it isn't), it would confirm the next two reveals to be Yoshi and Mewtwo.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not sure why someone would go to the trouble of faking a select screen just to add one new character and Yoshi

I don't think creator is trying to trick anyone. Just demonstrated the possibility of characters screen selection.

Because Mewtwo ain't coming back.

Even I know it's fake but I think you are too quickly to write Mewtwo off. It's a possibility that they are going to bring Mewtwo back.

The real thing giving away that Character select screen is that the background doesn't have random stuff going on, it's just blank white, that ain't the Sakurai menu way.

Random likely fake character select screen:

9FAHuDB.jpg

Yep, gonna have to go with fake.

1) Either the character selection is smaller than even Melee's (which seems especially unlikely given the rate of character reveals recently), or there are a lot of unlockable characters.

2) If the latter, then it seems odd that they would have a "Random" button before they would have an icon for hidden unlockable characters (which could be nifty placeholders for an incomplete character select screen)

3) As mentioned previously in these parts, Smash tends to have really organized character selection screens in terms of franchise, but just try to follow where the members of the Mario franchise alone are located (Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina & Luma in case you miss one amid the disorganization)

4) The other possibility to result in this image is that the developers only work at one character at a time and just slap them in as they're done without even thinking about characters who aren't in the game yet. This would imply higher-ups who choose a character and then begin twiddling their thumbs as the art designers make an icon and then begin twiddling their thumbs until getting another order from the higher-ups, who won't begin brainstorming again until the game designers relay back to them that a character has been successfully added.

qq more

Fuck, that rumor may turn out to be true. The problem I have with the list is that it plays it too safe. The only character it looks like Sakurai added on his own merits is Wii Fit Trainer. It's like most of the list went to pleasing either the most fanatic fanbases in the community or character edits. The assist trophies sound like they were given more care.

Huh? Villager wasn't highly requested, Tom Nook was in the series but even then he wasn't asked for that much. Not to mention the leak didn't outright said that's all of the newcomers.

It was nice of them to use Mewtwo's dreadful low-poly Battle Revolution model.
I love when people use terrible renders of characters... like when people used to use Sonic's Sonic 06 render. Eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

qq more

Is that.....a 360 controller under neath "Player #"?? Maybe it's the CC Pro, but considering it's white, my mind went to 360.

They both have very similar shape but that's the GamePad Pro. You can tell by the fact the right analog is on top while the face buttons are at the bottom.

Is that.....a 360 controller under neath "Player #"?? Maybe it's the CC Pro, but considering it's white, my mind went to 360.

Nintendo's going 3rd party sooner than expected.

Even I know it's fake but I think you are too quickly to write Mewtwo off. It's a possibility that they are going to bring Mewtwo back.

If Sakurai cuts you from the roster, that shows he thinks the character doesn't deserve to be a playable character and never will be one again. Same with AT and Forbidden 7 characters.

qq more

If Sakurai cuts you from the roster, that shows he thinks the character doesn't deserve to be a playable character and never will be one again. Same with AT and Forbidden 7 characters.

Weren't Bowser and King Dedede going to be in Smash 64 but was cut?
Oh and don't forget that Charizard was a Pokeball Pokemon!!
Oh and Pit was just a Trophy in Melee

Wasn't King Dedede going to be in Smash 64 but was cut?
Oh and don't forget that Charizard was a Pokeball Pokemon!!
Oh and Pit was just a Trophy in Melee

Those games were rushed out and/or had memory restrictions. Brawl had all the time in the world and a dual layer DVD, so if you were cut from that game, you're effectively dead.

qq more

It was delayed twice.

Some of the shit in Brawl was obviously last minute additions. Jigglypuff? The 3 LANDMASTERS? Sonic's inclusion in SSE along with his music selection for his stage? Half of the freaking trophies, especially in series like Donkey Kong?

That game had way too much stuff in it, so some of the content suffered due to it. They were overly-ambitious which resulted in certain aspects of the game being rushed.

Some of the shit in Brawl was obviously last minute additions. Jigglypuff? The 3 LANDMASTERS? Sonic's inclusion in SSE along with his music selection for his stage?

That game had way too much fat in it, so some of the content suffered due to it. They were overly-ambitious.

If Sakurai didn't think that Brawl was done, he could have easily asked for more time. Nintendo was selling Wiis like hotcakes back then, and Iwata has been proven to be a big pushover when it comes to his fellow creators, so if Brawl needed another 6 months, it would have got them.

If Sakurai didn't think that Brawl was done, he could have easily asked for more time. Nintendo was selling Wiis like hotcakes back then, and Iwata has been proven to be a big pushover when it comes to his fellow creators, so if Brawl needed another 6 months, it would have got them.

I don't say this lightly.

The guy who wanted Batman had more logical posts than these.

qq more

It's one of the most hyped games of its time and you THINK they'd be alright with it being delayed for half of a freaking year?

For those calling false on it based on character ordering and who is there and who is not--

This was the character select screen at the playable Brawl demo at E for All in October 2012:
emuj9cN.jpg

This was what the character select screen looked like in the actual release of Brawl prior to unlocking anyone:
l9i9SqB.jpg

There's nothing inherently wrong with how the icons are arranged or anything. The Yoshi picture is far more damning.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Have you ever thought that he might not intended to cut those characters because SEGA decided to ask Sakurai to add Sonic in the game at late development schedule? According to people, Mewtwo is mostly completed character that was nixed from the Brawl.

I would love to make a bet with you for sure since you seem to set in stone that cut characters or AT wouldn't become playable character in SSB Wii U and 3DS.

Caladrius

It's one of the most hyped games of its time and you THINK they'd be alright with it being delayed for half of a freaking year?

Indeed, the delays forced them to miss the holiday season, and the Nintendo fiscal year ends in March. Brawl needed to be sold by then so they could have something to show for the dev costs.(Though I imagine the game itself is far from the whole picture.) Even when we're not talking about sales, IIRC Brawl took resources from a couple of Nintendo's other dev teams.

9-volt's room as a stage with demon 5-volt as a stage hazard

That and this rendition of Ashley's Theme are the only stuff I'll accept from that game.

I really don't understand why people think a game is just going to be ignored because fan and critic reception wasn't good. This isn't a celebration of Metacritic scores.

Considering we had content from Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast (Christ, those trophies), Yoshi's Island DS and Urban Champion in Brawl, no, I'm not surprised we'll get our share of crappy games getting their piece of the pie.

Game & Wario just really aggravates me for many, many reasons.

Axass

Nintendo's going 3rd party sooner than expected.

That's totally false. There are files inside Brawl's disc concerning Mewtwo, just like Roy and other characters. Sakurai didn't want to cut anyone, he just didn't have time to bring everybody back, also due to Sonic's last minute inclusion.

NeonZ

Some of the shit in Brawl was obviously last minute additions. Jigglypuff? The 3 LANDMASTERS? Sonic's inclusion in SSE along with his music selection for his stage? Half of the freaking trophies, especially in series like Donkey Kong?

Well, it's basically known that Sonic wasn't a planned addition initially, which is why there are some oddities about his implementation, like the SSE participation and bgms, but I don't think that necessarily means the game was rushed. They'd likely have to spend quite a bit of resources to give Sonic participation on par with other series. If they were adding him after everyone else. I guess they settled for making him superficially similar to the others, rather than actually spending all that extra budget on a guest.

The trophies likely were just a matter of budget allocation. They chose to go with 3d models from other games, or from Brawl itself, rather than making 3d models just to be trophies, unlike what Melee often did.

I'm not sure if Jigglypuff was really rushed either. Toon Link clearly wasn't at least, considering his stage, and he also was another character who had no role in SSE. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the cast had been planned to be extras like that from the start.

Sakurai has said that Sonic was the only character added that wasn't intended from the start of development, and, if Jigglypuff had been intended from the start, but had her implementation rushed due to the game schedule, that shouldn't really stop her from appearing in SSE's story, considering how the SSE animations seemed to be done rather early in development (just look at Sonic's situation). Maybe, if Roy and Mewtwo had made it, they also would have been post-SSE extras?

Camjo-Z

So with Ashley being revealed, what kind of stage do you all think WarioWare will get this time? I'm hoping for another elevator stage with all new minigames (sort of like Pokemon Stadium 2's upgrade to the original in Brawl), or maybe Diamond City with lots of random wacky cameos from guys like Dr. Crygor and Fronk in the background.

Zalman

So with Ashley being revealed, what kind of stage do you all think WarioWare will get this time? I'm hoping for another elevator stage with all new minigames (sort of like Pokemon Stadium 2's upgrade to the original in Brawl), or maybe Diamond City with lots of random wacky cameos from guys like Dr. Crygor and Fronk in the background.
This would be gold:

Jimmy_T._epilogue_WarioWare_Smooth_Moves.png

Top Bottom