• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 2: Where Pilotwings is apparently Minecraft

I'll be pretty disappointed it that's supposed to be a DKCR stage, I mean it really looks nothing like it.
So yeah i'm also thinking adventure mode of some variety, the brief bit of footage where Mario bounds across it followed by the camera may support this theory further.

1upmuffin

Nope. People say Donkey Kong Country Returns because it's a jungle with some kind of turbine, but nothing looks like that in the game.

Honestly, I think it's part of Adventure Mode or something. It also hasn't been seen in any of the other screen shots, so clearly there's something special about it.

I agree, it looks a bit too odd to be a multiplayer level, would make more sense as an adventure stage.

Semajer

Nope. People say Donkey Kong Country Returns because it's a jungle with some kind of turbine, but nothing looks like that in the game.

Honestly, I think it's part of Adventure Mode or something. It also hasn't been seen in any of the other screen shots, so clearly there's something special about it.

DKCR3D would have been my guess, but if they were going to use the ruins in a Smash stage they'd probably look more like the Golden Temple stages, with the engraved Donkey Kong arcade sprite. My second guess would be that Speedthru eShop game, that had an Aztec theme, I think.

GamerSoul

Nicely done, Heath. Fresh new thread in time for a fresh new direct that will crush any hope we have for some solid new info this month. Feels like home. :3

*unfolds sleeping bag, opens can of beans*

Javier

Could it be Ketzal's Corridors? Anybody who has played that game knows if there's any level that looks like the screenshot?

I had completely forgotten that the 3DS has 3D.

Smash Bros for 3DS will look amazing, will def. double-dip and buy on both systems.
I'm still hoping they'll implement straight-up cross-play, as that would open up 5+ multiplayer :D.

What are the chances they'll implement an improved online mode this time around btw?

Do you guys think that WiiU and 3DS versions will hit the shelves simoltaneously? It could be a problem, wich one am I going to play?

GamerSoul

Sakurai's implied that they probably won't land at the same time.

Which version do you guys think will be the most likely one to be released first if it ever came to that?

I'm thinking the WiiU because that will definitely be the system seller for Nintendo. Imo, It would be better to experience smash 4 first on the big screen before taking it portable with a more personal experience.

JoeInky

Which version do you guys think will be the most likely one to be released first if it ever came to that?

I'm thinking the WiiU because that will definitely be the system seller for Nintendo. Imo, It would be better to experience smash 4 first on the big screen before taking it portable with a more personal experience.

WiiU most definitely, it's obvious from the absence of screenshots for certain characters that they're making them first in the WiiU version and then downporting them into the 3DS version.

I think it'll hit 3DS if only because it'll probably be quicker to finish, so they can then borrow the developers from that version to finish the Wii U shortly thereafter.
As the 3DS version seems to revolve around you progressing your characters and customizing them, it makes sense to give people time to do that before they export them to the Wii U version.

WiiU most definitely, it's obvious from the absence of screenshots for certain characters that they're making them first in the WiiU version and then downporting them into the 3DS version.

Yeah, based on what we've seen so far, the Wii U version has gotta be further along in development. I would think they'd hope to release them simultaneously, but if one has to come out first, it's pretty easy to see that Wii U would be first. Also, think about which console they need to have heavy hitters on. 3DS is solid for the foreseeable future, while Wii U needs some real help. I'd bet money that they've got a lot of energy and money going into the Wii U version these days.

SuperSah

Banned
Yeah, based on what we've seen so far, the Wii U version has gotta be further along in development. I would think they'd hope to release them simultaneously, but if one has to come out first, it's pretty easy to see that Wii U would be first. Also, think about which console they need to have heavy hitters on. 3DS is solid for the foreseeable future, while Wii U needs some real help. I'd bet money that they've got a lot of energy and money going into the Wii U version these days.

Agree. Wii U versioon will only get it first to push sales otherwise the 3DS version would crush it. I'm sure the average consumer would choose te cheaper version over the more expensive and the 3DS install base is faaarr superior than the Wii U.

I hope it sells well on both.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Obviously Wii U because Nintendo need an awesome game to get their console to sell and the fact that we haven't seen some of characters in 3DS screen.

-PXG-

I wish they'd just scrap the 3DS version or just say fuck it, and have both games contain different rosters. It really sucks that the Wii U version will inevitably be held back by the 3DS. Potentially no Ice Climbers, Zero Suit Samus or Sheik (both from transformations mid game, at least), Pokemon Trainer. My idea to include Majora's Mask Link (featuring all four of his transformations from MM) is virtually impossible. Think about it: Being able to transform into a Deku Scrub, a Goron or a Zora, each with completely different attacks and recoveries. Imagine the Final Smash turning you into Fierce Diety Link, going all Super Saiyan, and just tearing shit up. God damn that would be cool, and great fan service. Sakurai is known to do different things and do the unconventional. No one would see it coming. It would make both Links (or more?) completely different.

-PXG-

Wait...there isn't cross play? I mean, I didn't expect it, due to technical reasons and all, but if that is really the case, then why in the world must both games have the same rosters? Why? Come on. That's stupid. If games have limited or no ability to talk to one another there is NO reason for the Wii U version to be held back by the 3DS.

SuperSah

Banned
I wish they'd just scrap the 3DS version or just say fuck it, and have both games contain different rosters. It really sucks that the Wii U version will inevitably be held back by the 3DS. Potentially no Ice Climbers, Zero Suit Samus or Sheik (both from transformations mid game, at least), Pokemon Trainer. My idea to include Majora's Mask Link (featuring all four of his transformations from MM) is virtually impossible. Think about it: Being able to transform into a Deku Scrub, a Goron or a Zora, each with completely different attacks and recoveries. Imagine the Final Smash turning you into Fierce Diety Link, going all Super Saiyan, and just tearing shit up. God damn that would be cool, and great fan service. Sakurai is known to do different things and do the unconventional. No one would see it coming. It would make both Links (or more?) completely different.

I'm sure it'll be fine. It's just hard to implement. I read Pikmin had a tech-demo on 3DS and if it could potentially handle all them Pikmin, it can handle some of this stuff.

They'll work around it, the 3DS isn't that weak. It's a good Wii/GC level at least.

-PXG-

I'm sure it'll be fine. It's just hard to implement. I read Pikmin had a tech-demo on 3DS and if it could potentially handle all them Pikmin, it can handle some of this stuff.

They'll work around it, the 3DS isn't that weak. It's a good Wii/GC level at least.

But Pikmin are very tiny (literally), have simple AI and aren't full fledged, playable characters. Plus, the game has to playable, and relatively smooth. Constant frame drops or a sub 30 fps would be unacceptable.

Berordn

Wait...there isn't cross play? I mean, I didn't expect it, due to technical reasons and all, but if that is really the case, then why in the world must both games have the same rosters? Why? Come on. That's stupid. If games have limited or no ability to talk to one another there is NO reason for the Wii U version to be held back by the 3DS.

There's communication between the two, just not simultaneous play.

There's also no real reason to assume that the 3DS version is holding anything back since a supposed problem character like Olimar was one of the first veteran reveals.

SmithnCo

Playing Smash on the go will be so fun, I love that there's a 3DS version. Having parity with rosters is good because if you get good with one character you can transfer those skills to the other version. If Olimar is on the 3DS version I don't see why they can't do Ice Climber or transforms.

SuperSah

Banned
But Pikmin are very tiny (literally), have simple AI and aren't full fledged, playable characters. Plus, the game has to playable, and relatively smooth. Constant frame drops or a sub 30 fps would be unacceptable.

I think it'll be okay. They can work with it just fine.

Lower textures, etc will allow the framerate to fare a little nicer and i'm sure Sakurai won't let it release with dodgy framerates for a Smash game.

Also, wasn't lack off cross-play because they decided to make different stages? It makes sense if that's their reasoning.

DaBoss

I don't agree at all with cancelling any version.

But ignoring that, you've misunderstood the multiple characters thing. Multiple characters means Ice Climbers and Olimar, meaning the characters are all on at once. ZSS, Sheik, and Pokémon Trainer are all transformation characters. The 3DS version should actually be able to handle transformation characters really well due to it being on a cartridge (which is flash memory).

-PXG-

There's communication between the two, just not simultaneous play.

There's also no real reason to assume that the 3DS version is holding anything back since a supposed problem character like Olimar was one of the first veteran reveals.

If something as complex as Pokemon Trainer comes back, my worries will subside.

Also, another idea:

How would MM Link transform? Buttons and commands are limited, so how would they make it so players could transform seamlessly from one form to any other form without having to cycle through each one to get to the desired character? Solution: Replace all of MM Link's taunts with transformation commands. Each direction (in this case, the D-pad) would be associated with a different form: Up, for human Link, Left for the Deku Scrub, Down for the the Goron and Right for the Zora. Simple. No need for complicated, inconsistent commands.

DaBoss

We don't know anything about that Pikmin prototype for the 3DS other than they didn't like how it turned out.

The 3DS is better than the Wii and the GCN in some aspects, and worse in others, the biggest weakness being the CPU.

SuperSah

Banned
We don't know anything about that Pikmin prototype for the 3DS other than they didn't like how it turned out.

The 3DS is better than the Wii and the GCN in some aspects, and worse in others, the biggest weakness being the CPU.

Yeah, I guess but they must of implemented Pikmin to decide they didn't like it.

I think all the worry is unnecessary and both versions will come out just fine.

1upmuffin

Also, another idea:

How would MM Link transform? Buttons and commands are limited, so how would they make it so players could transform seamlessly from one form to any other form without having to cycle through each one to get to the desired character? Solution: Replace all of MM Link's taunts with transformation commands. Each direction (in this case, the D-pad) would be associated with a different form: Up, for human Link, Left for the Deku Scrub, Down for the the Goron and Right for the Zora. Simple. No need for complicated, inconsistent commands.

I like that as an idea to replace a Young Link/ Toon Link. You already have all the moves for default link and you get 3 unique characters as a bonus. Also, I'd like Pokemon Trainer, if he returns, to change moves by taunt as well, much better than cycling.

Anth0ny

Also, another idea:

oh look it's my dream character

our only chance of getting MM Link would be an announcement of a MM remake on 3DS tomorrow.

and that's not happening =(

we'll get toon link instead.

-PXG-

I like that as an idea to replace a Young Link/ Toon Link. You already have all the moves for default link and you get 3 unique characters as a bonus. Also, I'd like Pokemon Trainer, if he returns, to change moves by taunt as well, much better than cycling.

Someone has good taste. Forward this shit to Sakurai ASAP.

our only chance of getting MM Link would be an announcement of a MM remake on 3DS tomorrow.

Or, the inclusion of MM Link could be a means of advertising a Majora's Mask remake. Hell, they included Roy in Melee to market the new Fire Emblem at the time, right?

Also, if I had to, I'd settle for a 3DS remake. Give me a Wii U remake in the vain of that fan made trailer from last year and I will die happy, Nintendo.

JoeInky

Toon Link is kinda needed as long as regular Link is complete shit, if they made normal moveset link actually good I wouldn't mind them cutting Toon Link that much considering he was my main in brawl.

-PXG-

Toon Link is kinda needed as long as regular Link is complete shit, if they made normal moveset link actually good I wouldn't mind them cutting Toon Link that much considering he was my main in brawl.

Toon Link is already in the Spirit Tracks level though. Has there ever been a stage that featured a character that was ALSO playable?

Since Melee and Brawl both had two Links. Toon Link is already in a stage. Both games are said to have the same rosters. If Olimar really works that well, than having multi character/ multi form fighters aren't totally out of the question. And as I said, Roy was in Melee to advertise a new game. It wouldn't be too far fetched to include, say, MM Link to tease a Majora's Mask remake.

All of this just makes too much sense. It would be a dream come true to me, since Majora's Mask is one of my favorite Zelda games, and just overall, favorite games ever.

ffdgh

Also, another idea:

Fierce diety for his final smash. All the fun of regular link but without the flaws and taller :D

JoeInky

Toon Link is already in the Spirit Tracks level though. Has there ever been a stage that featured a character that was ALSO playable?

Since Melee and Brawl both had two Links. Toon Link is already in a stage. Both games are said to have the same rosters. If Olimar really works that well, than having multi character/ multi form fighters aren't totally out of the question. And as I said, Roy was in Melee to advertise a new game. It wouldn't be too far fetched to include, say, MM Link to tease a Majora's Mask remake.

All of this just makes too much sense. It would be a dream come true to me, since Majora's Mask is one of my favorite Zelda games, and just overall, favorite games ever.

But if they remove toon link, and keep regular link as his slow-ass, useless self, where will I get my projectile spam fix from?

I like majora's mask too but I don't think I've ever wanted the MM mask link with mask transformations that everyone is always suggesting, and if toon link really is out of the game due to being in the spirit tracks stage, then I doubt there's going to be a link clone at all unless it's based on lttp2 and uses non-standard zelda items.

Top Bottom