• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supercell (Clash of Clans) now valued at $5.5 Billion

Guevara

When SoftBank bought an additional 22 percent of Finnish game maker Supercell this week, it didn’t disclose the valuation. But GamesBeat has learned from a reliable source that the value of Supercell in the transaction is an eye-popping $5.5 billion.

We’ll talk more about what that means in a moment, but we’ll take a guess that it makes Supercell the most valuable mobile game company in the world. But the size of the deal tells you just how big the stakes are in the $30 billion mobile game industry. Supercell has just three published games — Clash of Clans, Hay Day, and Boom Beach. These generated $1.7 billion in sales and half a billion dollars in profit in 2014.
At $5.5 billion, Supercell is now worth more than publicly traded Zynga, the FarmVille maker which is valued at $2.7 billion (a company with 2,000 employees), and Candy Crush Saga maker King at $4.5 billion (with around 1,200 employees).

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/04/s...clans-maker-supercell-at-at-astonishing-5-5b/

A tale of two mobile devs. Poor Zynga

antitrop

Boom Beach is okay. That game is actually extraordinarily generous about giving out Diamonds (its F2P currency) for free.

Sendou

Biggest success story in Finnish gaming industry. Didn't believe that after Angry Birds it was still coming.

Tenebrous

That's like half of Nintendo (going by Wiki's 2014 value of their total assets)... For Clash of Clans.

Sod this world.

Usobuko

Banned
Bought another 22% ( valued at $5.5B ) when they already bought a majority stake ( valued at $3B ).

Softbank has good foresights,

vypek

I have two of their apps on my phone. I've actually been thinking about deleting them. Just becomes tedious at a point to keep progressing. Not that they are bad games. Some of their stuff is really well implemented.

I think it's really unfair that games like these earn them billions, and other masterpieces barely sell a million.
What a time for this industry.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I think it's really unfair that games like these earn them billions, and other masterpieces barely sell a million.

God forbid someone has fun playing a game that wasn't a console exclusive with a $100 million budget.

Yeah because people don't work hard to make these games too

Actually they don't. that's the whole point of these mobile f2p games. They take fewer people, less time and less money to make. The cost comes in iterating multiple titles in short order to see what sticks and what makes money.

Madness

Lol, just like it's unfair that the entire faculty of MIT make less money combined in a year than Kim Kardashian makes in 1 month? Life isn't fair. Or how a pop music star, who can't sing, lip syncs, uses electronics and auto tune, has producers and writers write her beats and songs, sells more albums than someone who probably plays 15 instruments or a Symphony that probably works on pieces everyday for years etc.

Also, I dislike mobile gaming myself, but I've played Clash of Clans almost several times a day for a year and a half now. Don't hate on success. These are people who are working and releasing products that people buy/use.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
if history tells us anything, this will last a little while and then the mobile game market will move on to the next big thing.

Tagyhag

Insane, got bored of CoC but Boom Beach is good fun, and has a fair F2P model.

People that think mobile isn't the mainstream future...Sorry guys.

Xeteh

if history tells us anything, this will last a little while and then the mobile game market will move on to the next big thing.

As long as they don't go all Zynga and buy every game for 9238523598 cash moneys they'll be fine.

rrs

These kind of games sell for the social factor and giving power for real money, it's a new market that also took some of the old market with it

Usobuko

Banned

There are more 'unfairness' in life than video games companies making products people are willing and able to buy.

Boom Beach is okay. That game is actually extraordinarily generous about giving out Diamonds (its F2P currency) for free.

Doesn't sound like anything exciting when its most notable thing is that it allows you to play it without spending too much money.

Dante

How long until they crash and burn when the next fad comes along?

It's been the top grossing game for over 2 years now. Even if the game fell off a cliff tomorrow it's a hell of a success story.......Unless your talking about the mobile phone fad.......Yeah that won't last long I'm sure :)

MarkusRJR

Unless they start making a new game that is just as good/popular I feel they'll be the next Zynga/Rovio. The mobile market is way too fickle, basically every "giant" in the mobile games industry inevitably loses popularity once their one hit wonder loses steam. Don't get me wrong, Clash of Clans is super successful, but unless they can produce new hits the company can either go the Zynga route (toss tons of ideas out and have none get popular) or the Rovio route (keep making Clash of Clans until the IP is completely worn out).

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
how do these games have development teams in the thousands?

Marketing departments.
The makers of Game of War flat out said "We're not a game company, we're a technology and marketing company".

That's not what they do, though? There are other developers to do that.

That's true, but what I meant is that other game companies work even harder to give us quality games with good performance, and that's a bitch to achieve.
I'm not hating on success but my point is if games like those earn them billions, then games like TLOU, Skryim or any critical acclaims should earn their companies hundred of billions.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
God forbid someone has fun playing a game that wasn't a console exclusive with a $100 million budget.

The sentiment doesn't come from "Why people have fun playing those games" (Well, that aswell), but rather Why that specific one?
Clash of Clans \ Game of War aren't particularly diverse from literally thousands of games of that type and genre, that popped up before and after.
The difference is that they snowballed on what's basically luck and marketing.

Angry Birds is the clearest example of this tendency in mobile gaming as a whole.

That's true, but what I meant is that other game companies work even harder to give us quality games with good performance, and that's a bitch to achieve.
I'm not hating on success but my point is if games like those earn them billions, then games like TLOU, Skryim or any critical acclaims should earn their companies hundred of billions.

That is literally not how life works

Otherwise Mad Max: Fury Road would have made Avatar money

Top Bottom