• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supercell (Clash of Clans) now valued at $5.5 Billion

yurinka

I have to swallow large quantities of my own saliva fantasizing about hitting the jackpot with such a game at some point in my life. I have so far made a javascript scrollbar replacer called fleXcroll (2005) and a chrome extension for summarizing NeoGAF threads (2015). Gotta start programming from somewhere. (I'm 37)

It's not 'hitting the jackpot'. Before Supercell most of their main guys who run hit had several award winning mobile worldwide hits as both Digital Chocolate and Sumea since 2001 or so. So some of them even before the App Store existed. Other guys came from other successful Finnish gaming companies.

They are really skilled, talented and experienced. Guys who run Supercell aren't some random lucky punks.

hesido

It's not 'hitting the jackpot'. Before Supercell most of their main guys who run hit had several award winning mobile worldwide hits as both Digital Chocolate and Sumea since 2001 or so. So some of them even before the App Store existed. Other guys came from other successful Finnish gaming companies.

They are really skilled, talented and experienced. Guys who run Supercell aren't some random lucky punks.

Good point. But, a good game by a talented people may not necessarily do well, let alone elevate to a billion dollar per year business. There doesn't seem to be a surefire way to create a billion dollar grossing mobile game, I guess if you asked the creators of such games that sky-rocketed into absolute success, they wouldn't have foreseen it. That is the jackpot bit. I'm not in any way playing down their talent or the quality of their game, I admire them.

Top Bottom