• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl renewed - moving to the CW

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://deadline.com/2016/05/supergirl-moves-the-cw-renewed-season-2-melissa-benoist-1201754579/

The CW has picked up its first new series for next season, and it is not that new. After weeks of speculation, Supergirl will move from CBS to sister network the CW, which has renewed the superhero drama for a second season. The pickup, which comes hours after the most recent deadline for CBS to make a renewal decision on the freshman series, expands the CW DC superhero universe to four series, all from producer Greg Berlanti, as Supergirl is set to join The Flash, Arrow and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow. One of them, Flash, already crossed over to Supergirl on CBS, making for a seamless integration of the newbie into the CW superhero squad.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's a better fit for The CW anyway. The big question I have is where in the world is The CW going to place this on their schedule? They renewed everything this year, so what day do they have room for a full season of Supergirl on?

If this fucks up iZombie (the best DC show on TV) in any way, I will be pissed.

Sober

Make it part of the Arrowverse already. It needs to be.
Yeah I'm kind of ready for whatever stupid mental gymnastics and comic book fuckery required for this to happen, if only because I would really like to see what they could do altogether on screen or if they actually formed a TV version of a team up series with them actually in it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
A Supergirl move to the CW had been rumored for awhile, with talks becoming real the last few days. A CW pickup was contingent on finding a way to produce a show of that scale (Supergirl commanded one of the highest license fees for a new series this season), for the CW. Producing studio Warner Bros. TV already made a pre-emptive effort to trim costs with a planned move of production from Los Angeles to Vancouver in Season 2, which is now official. That will bring the show together with Berlanti’s current CW superhero drama series, which all are based in Vancouver.

Welcome to Vancouver, Melissa Benoist...

Sandfox

Yeah I'm kind of ready for whatever stupid mental gymnastics and comic book fuckery required for this to happen, if only because I would really like to see what they could do altogether on screen or if they actually formed a TV version of a team up series with them actually in it.

They could just have the Flash screw everything up and it would even allow them to change or recast the necessary things the new budget won't allow.

Make it part of the Arrowverse already. It needs to be.

You would have to completely change the focus of Arrow if this happens. The current season would make even less sense if Supergirl could just swoop in, fly Dahrk to the fortress of solitude and zip out.

anaron

oh thank fuck they got Calista. Really sad they're leaving LA but ultimately, this is the best thing for the show.

Effect

About time they made a decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept things separate until they can have Flash do something in season 3 that causes a merger between the worlds. Far to messy to try and do it now or during the season premieres. There is a lot to work out. Do you have everyone remember things before the merger? Is everyone aware of a merger at all? What happens to the past events? Etc....

Wonder if the CW will keep it on Mondays to go up against Gotham. Move things around so it's combined with Flash, Arrow, or Legends or if it gets a spring/summer slot.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Pretty surprised by this actually, but I guess the CW must think it's worth a shot at snagging some of the larger audience from CBS.

Hopefully they adapt the Powergirl story and have her as an interdimensional refugee. It'd solve the elephant in the room problem with Superman and could serve as a clean break from season 1.

Oh!!!!

Not quite good news, not quite bad news... WEIRD... but interesting?

HOPEFULLY IT'S TIME FOR
latest

GulAtiCa

Better fit for it. Hopefully it transitions to the new network well.

Also, I hope they keep the universes separate, but that it becomes more "easy" to go between Earths.

You would have to completely change the focus of Arrow if this happens. The current season would make even less sense if Supergirl could just swoop in, fly Dahrk to the fortress of solitude and zip out.

I mean, can't Barry do pretty much the exact same thing? And that doesn't stop them.

Wag

Superman/Supergirl are vulnerable to magic so there's shit she can do against Dahrk.

jelly

Cool. What they should do is make 15 episode seasons for those four shows and fill the schedule with tighter storylines and more or less the same budgets instead of 20 episode seasons which get a bit long in the tooth, Arrow needs culled down immediately and rethought for next season.

Boke1879

The CGI wasn't that much better than Flash as it was. It'll be more bye bye to some cast members.

Exactly. The CGI in Supergirl was nothing to write home about. I'd say the effects used in the CW shows are much better executed. Especially in shows in Flash and LOT.

If anything some pricey cast members will be gone. Bye bye Grand and Martian Manhunter.

NimbusD

Time to drop Legends of Tomorrow?

It is kind of the odd man out. These other three have solid concepts built around a single hero with a supporting cast. That show, all these episodes in, doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on what it even is, long term.

Why are people so down on Legends? It's better than Arrow that's for sure. Arrow is closer to running its course, I'd nominate that for ending.

But also, screw it lets have 4 DC shows on CW (and a fifth one coming to NBC, hope that's arrowverse somehow too).

I imagine they'd probably try to do a crisis thing to bring the universes together, whats the point if they're on the same channel that loves to cross over constantly and not do that?

Briarios

That's one of the Super family's weaknesses, though, right? Magic? So, that's a bad match up lol

anaron

I think CBS is being really dumb about this though. This was one way to ensure a consistent younger demo and guaranteed I'd watch more than a single show (TGW) on their network and the potential for ratings bumps are kinda endless due to using flarrow crossovers and Superman himself.

guess it's back to eternally ignoring this shit network

NimbusD

Pretty surprised by this actually, but I guess the CW must think it's worth a shot at snagging some of the larger audience from CBS.

Hopefully they adapt the Powergirl story and have her as an interdimensional refugee. It'd solve the elephant in the room problem with Superman and could serve as a clean break from season 1.

I could imagine them doing SOMETHING like that, but no way they're dropping the supergirl name and outfit to match the comics. If they have the supergirl name, no chance they're dropping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom