• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 to have 12gb ram and 2 mics seems so according to new leaks

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is how every single console ever has worked. It’s decent/good for the launch year and maybe following 2 years after that, but then they are laughably gimped and underpowered. Technology advances every year.
Steam Deck launched with 16 GB years ago now, XSX|S launched with more than 8 GB in 2020, PS5 launched with 16 GB of RAM in 2020.

Switch launched with 4 GB eons ago. No, 8 GB is gimped today, 12 GB is not much better. 16 GB would be ok, but gimped and underpowered by 2030.

Three

Wasn't 12gb of ram the on series s declared "crippling" for current gen games? Now it's ok now?
Series S isn't a portable handheld and mandates current gen games like GTA6. Yet still has less RAM than the 12GB Switch 2 allegedly has. Publishers often just skip Switch release if the game is too demanding for it. Yet they can't with XSS if they want a XSX release.

sendit

The Series S has 10gb RAM as far as I remember with 8GB that runs at 224 gb/s and 2GB that runs at 56 gb/s.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Last edited:

FireFly

Steam Deck launched with 16 GB years ago now, XSX|S launched with more than 8 GB in 2020, PS5 launched with 16 GB of RAM in 2020.

Switch launched with 4 GB eons ago. No, 8 GB is gimped today, 12 GB is not much better. 16 GB would be ok, but gimped and underpowered by 2030.
The Switch 2 is expected to be about as powerful as a PS4, which shipped with 8 GB of memory. In 2030 the Switch 2 will be 2 generations behind, irrespective of how much memory it has.

The Switch 2 is expected to be about as powerful as a PS4, which shipped with 8 GB of memory. In 2030 the Switch 2 will be 2 generations behind, irrespective of how much memory it has.
This. Powerful like a PS4 and they will port some PS5 games on it albeit with big graphical cuts (thanks to the added memory). the same way Switch currently "runs" some PS4 games with big visual compromises. By the way the bandwith is a bit on the low side and will seriously limit the potential of the overclocked docked mode. It will be fine though on portable mode I reckon.

Buggy Loop

Not worried one bit for the size of.
They must have an I/O solution or just plain Ampere’s RTXIO built in the API.

Contrary to PC where we wait for junior devs to find the plug-in in UE and still fuck it up, it will be native on something like a Switch 2.

Woopah

12GB is good but not great. As long as the OS is lean, the number for games will be more than Series S and close-ish to Series X and PS5.

Its not just a rumour, its actual products being shipped by one of Nintendo's suppliers.
Oh right. that famiboard thread is hard to read due to all the * Hidden text: cannot be quoted. * (I don't have an account there)

Took me a few minutes to actually find the post in question.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper now. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

BlackTron

I really wish this rumor is true. 12GB of RAM would do wonders for the devs wanting to port their current gen titles to the system.

This is exactly why I think it might happen. Of course they wanted third party support for Switch but I don't think they expected the utter deluge of games. As it is they got a ton of ports. Next time, they might want to ensure it doesn't take a very talented team a lot of work to squeeze a last gen game onto the system -the extra RAM would be like opening the faucet.

They expressed regret they hadn't put a HDMI port on Wii. Maybe they learned a few things during Switch 1's tenure that they intend to correct.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Memory helps a lot, this is very shortsighted… but sure 🤷‍♂️. As if Nintendo is going to sell the device for cheap and RAM was prohibitively expensive for Nintendo, but let’s keep the bar low 😝.

Full contents of the leak which was originally shared on famiboard:

Even after the RAM and storage size, there's so much in the March shipment data I don't even know where to begin. So far nothing else at that level has popped up, so more along the lines of what I was originally saying before those were found. This won't be comprehensive, and I'll have to keep following up. I may also repeat some things others have posted (or will have posted by the time I finish typing the post), so apologies in advance. Some things in here were discovered and/or researched by Thraktor, LuigiBlood, and others.

I guess I'll start by saying, with reasonable confidence, that HGU1100 is the console, HGU1110 is the left Joy-con, HGU1120 is the right Joy-con, and HGU1130 is the dock. I'm not 100% confident, so take all of this with a grain of salt. But there are enough different listings that hint at this being the case, and it matches how the numbers HGU0700, HGU0710, HGU0720, and HGU0730 were used for the original Switch (except that the left and right Joy-cons may be flipped, assuming I don't have one of them wrong). So, grain of salt taken, bear that information in mind when I or anyone else posts a listing containing one of those HGU codes.

I think the previously seen new codes -- HGU1000, HGU1010, and HGU0820 -- may have been catch-alls, or possibly a way to organize things in a SKU containing the whole console set, versus just the console, or just the controllers, which is also something that can be seen with the old HGU07xx numbers. Almost all of the interesting new stuff in March is showing up under HGU11xx, but the others are still around, and as mentioned before there are some new ones there too. Also check out that post for the return for the return of the long-lost CKUI.

The other place new stuff is showing up is in listings that don't have HGU codes at all. But many of them do have NL-AM categories instead, which as far as I can tell, are 100% associated with Nintendo, just like HGU is. These may be trickier to sort through, because NL-AM listings were and are still used for current Switch models, so cross-referencing is needed to determine if a listing is really new. One that that helps is that a lot -- but not all -- NL-AM listings also have HGU codes on them, so we can discount any that have the old HGU0700, HGU0800, HGU0810, or HGU0910. If an NL-AM listing doesn't have HGU on it, and the quantity is only hundreds or thousands, instead of the high mass production-like quantities on old parts, that's an indication that it's probably for new hardware.

There are also listings that don't have any product codes on them at all, or at least not recognizable ones. Sometimes we see Nintendo's name pop up if we're lucky, but sometimes we just have to guess or assume. And that should be a good reminder not to consider anything 100% set in stone, adding together all of that with incomplete or questionably translated descriptions, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, on to some listings.
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/MT62F768M64D4EK-026/
This is the 6 GB RAM chip; two will be used for a total of 12 GB. Here's Micron's page for it. It is listed as LPDDR5 having a speed of 7500 MT/s, which is an LPDDR5X speed, so that's kind of strange. The page for the faster -023 version of this part also says LPDDR5, but I noticed that when filtering by type, -023 actually does show up under a LPDDR5X filter, while -026 shows up under an LPDDR5 filter. Anyway, the speed is what's important, and @Thraktor and others have already been breaking that down.
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/THGJFGT1E45BAILHW0 /
This is the 256 GB UFS 3.1 storage chip. Here's Kioxia's page for it. I think speed estimates and such have also already been posted.
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC CHIP/IC/SOC GMLX30-R-A1/
And here's the other big one along with the RAM and storage: T239. Yes, this is in fact the Switch 2 SoC, with its proper Nvidia production part number. The Tegra X1 in the original Switch had a part number of ODNX02-A2, while TX1+/Mariko is ODNX10-A1. The "ODN" is from Odin, Nvidia's (and also Nintendo's) codename for the motherboard and sometimes sorta by extension the console itself (see my post about codenames). Side note, I've always thought it was "OD (Odin) NX 02," using the Switch's codename of NX, but it's actually "ODN (Odin) X02."

So what we have for T239 is the code GML and the revision number X30 (and tapeout code A1). I can't say what the significance of that revision number really is. But GML is actually very meaningful to me, because it's the board codename I've been waiting to see since the Nvidia hack in March 2022: Gimle. That name was in the leaked source files, appearing as the new equivalent to Odin, and it's taken this long for some sign of it to finally surface outside the hack. It seems that Nintendo is doing product codes differently this time, because CMB is being used where I expected to see GIMLE all this time. But here it is at last.

Now, I don't think we can determine much from this shipment listing, though I'm sure there will be discussion of the revision/tapeout process. But I'm very happy to see it.
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/ALC5658-CG/
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/PN7160B1HN/C100/
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/RTD2175N-CG/
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/RTL8153B-VB-CG/
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/STM32G0B0CET6/
Next, a barrage of other (unconfirmed) Switch 2 microchips. The first is a Realtek audio codec chip, which seems pretty standard. Next is an NFC/RFID reader, so Amiibo support will live on. RTD2175N is a Realtek DisplayPort-HDMI converter; though there isn't much information available online, it is likely a version of or successor to the RTD2173, which supports HDMI 2.1 (here's a device Thraktor found using it, which has such support). Next is a Realtek Ethernet controller, very likely found in the dock, which along with some other listings indicates the return of the OLED's Ethernet port. And finally is a microcontroller based on the Cortex-M0+ core; nothing really of note here, but it is basically the same as the microcontroller in the current Switch dock. I dropped some boring diode/switch/resistor-type things from this list as well.
  • NL-AM01#&MULTI-LAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CJR-MAIN-X7/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTI-LAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CMB-CPU-X8/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/ANT0-T00/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CJL-MAIN-X7/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CKUI-MAIN-X5/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CKUI-SUB-X6/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CMB-HPMJ-X6/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CMB-MIC-X7/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CMB-VOL-X7/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/MUEL-MAIN-X6/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/MUEL-PLUG-X5/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD ATK LED/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD CJL-SIDE-FPC/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD CJR-SIDE-FPC/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD CJL-ZL-FPC/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD CJR-ZR-FPC/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD MAIN FPC/
  • NL-AM07#&MULTI-PIN CIRCUIT BOARD CONNECTOR/JACK (TYPE USED TO ATTACH TO PRINTED CIRCUITS WITH VOLTAGE <1000V)/TBD CONN/HDMI/19P BEE-CDH/
  • NL-AM13#&CONDUCTIVE CONTACT CLAMP, MADE OF STEEL ALLOY/ANTX-ANT1/
  • NL-AM13#&CONDUCTIVE CONTACT CLAMP, MADE OF STEEL ALLOY/ANTX-ANT2/
  • NL-AM17#&GAMING HEATSINK, COPPER/DHS-B093082-00/
  • NL-AM19#&SPEAKER/102000210110 (MUSE BOX-L)/
  • NL-AM19#&SPEAKER/102000210111 (MUSE BOX-R)/
Yeah, so, now we're really getting into it. This batch of stuff, a lot found by LuigiBlood, has a bunch of new product codes on it, and almost all of them look like they definitely belong to Nintendo.

CJR and CJL are most likely the right and left Joy-con, as the MAIN board is something current Joy-cons have, and then we also have a "ZL" for CJL and a "ZR" for CJR, which are self explanatory. They both also have a "SIDE" flexible ribbon circuit thing in addition to the one for ZL/ZR. The C in CJL/R might come from CMB. These are prototype codes, as indicated by the X in the revision number of CJR-MAIN-X7, and the TBD is likely standing in for the final product code. For Switch 1, prototype Joy-con boards were labeled JOYU-MAIN (U for Ukyo) and JOYS-MAIN1 (S for Sakyo), while the final are labeled HAC-JCL-MAIN and HAC-JCR-MAIN. So you can see how there's a blank or "TBD" space where the final product code, like HAC for Switch 1, would go.

ANT0 and ANTX seem likely to be antenna-related. These ones aren't necessarily strictly Nintendo board codes. Ditto the heatsink thing. MUSE BOX-L and MUSE BOX-R are identified as speakers, so no mystery there, but the board/part codes are funny. And then there are a couple odds and ends that say TBD and are unclear beyond that: TBD ATK LED and TBD MAIN FPC.

Next we have some new CMB boards in addition to CPU-X8: HPMJ (headphone and microphone jack), MIC (built-in microphone), and VOL (volume buttons). These are board for the main console, still using its prototype product code.

Next is MUEL, which is a new one. I think it's possible that this is the prototype product code for the new dock. It has a a MAIN and PLUG board, which is exactly what the current or OLED Switch dock has. I haven't seen PLUG used anywhere else, but still, we can't be totally certain of this one.

Now, we have to talk about BEE-CDH. CDH is the label for boards used in the dock, usually in a full form like HAC-CDH-MAIN-01 for the Switch or HEG-CDH-MAIN-01 for the OLED. But if this is the dock, why is it BEE? Didn't I just say MUEL was probably the dock? Well, historically, CDH has only been seen in use for retail parts like the ones with HAC and HEG I mentioned. The prototypes used CRD (Switch) and CRDA (OLED) instead, such as in CRDA-MAIN-X6 and CRDA-LED-X4. If that pattern holds, then CDH being used here would suggest BEE is actually a retail product code, so it could be the retail dock equivalent of MUEL. Hypothetically! Maybe.

And last but not least, we have CKUI. This is the first time we've seen it -- the first new product code we found -- since August (discovered October) 2023, and we still don't have a clue what it is. But by process of elimination, if I had to guess, I'd say it's a Pro Controller. The current Pro does have a MAIN board, and while I don't think it has a SUB, it's not far-fetched to imagine a controller having one. There does seem to be a lack of Pro Controller-like shipments for Hosiden in the HGU domain, though, and there isn't any actual evidence for this conclusion at the moment.
  • NL-AM49#&GAME CONSOLE TOUCH SCREEN/DISPLAY/
And finally... yep, it's the screen. With no information about it whatsoever. The first time the OLED's screen was shipped to HVBG, it had the Samsung part number on it and everything, but this time, nope, we get nothing.

So yeah. The only notable things that seem to be missing here are anything to do with the game card or card reader. We'll have to keep an eye out for those.
  • PROTECTIVE CASE FOR VIDEO GAME CONSOLE, MADE OF PLASTIC, SIZE: 206 X 115 X 14 (MM), MODEL: HGU1100, MANUFACTURER: NINTENDO, 100% NEW.
I haven't even touched on anything specific within HGU yet, and I'm not going to, because this post is already extremely long. But I will say that I agree that this listing (reproduced in full in the bullet point above -- see look, it says Nintendo and everything, I'm not crazy) is a good candidate for actually having the full dimensions of the system -- except for the depth. 14 mm is very close to the depth of the current Switch, and while it's not impossible that the successor will retain it, the possibility exists for it to be greater, because this one piece of the shell is going to connect to other pieces, and its 14 mm might not make up the entire depth of the console. But the 115 mm height is something we've discussed before, and after a whole bunch more March shipments, seems essentially confirmed as the console's height. And the 206 mm width is not too far off from estimates back when we discussed the height, which were something around 198 mm. The 200-ish mm width also seems to be supported by HGU1130 listings for the dock that have a 200 mm dimension.

FireFly

Memory helps a lot, this is very shortsighted… but sure 🤷‍♂️. As if Nintendo is going to sell the device for cheap and RAM was prohibitively expensive for Nintendo, but let’s keep the bar low 😝.
I don't see how shipping with 50% more memory than last gen systems and 2 GB more than the Series S is keeping the bar low. It's not reasonable to expect that next-gen games will release on the Switch 2 (unless modified beyond recognition), just like it's not reasonable to expect PS5/XSX games to appear on the Switch.

Knowing Nintendo will be aiming to come in no higher than $399 at launch, this seems pretty beefy. But I would definitely welcome a headphone jack in the new Pro Controller, if that's on the table. It's absolutely my biggest complaint with the current Switch, other than no achievements.

Maybe they'll do a double SKU launch option like with Wii U and have a 512GB option for $449.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Full contents of the leak which was originally shared on famiboard:
Bearing in mind that the announcement will be this fiscal year (up to March 2025) and that the devs as far as we know don’t have the kits yet, couldn’t this be the dev kit?
It kind of makes sense. A 10GB system (a lot, considering that is a PS4) with 12GB dev kit is more in line with the Nintendo we all know and love (to hate).

Bojji

Yeah some YouTube ahole who mocks " compared to other laptops " then shows a chart of a laptop compared to ITSELF with more ram. 😵‍💫

YouTube is for clicks and entertainment not truths.

He is great and apple wants to scum their customers almost every time new product launches. This is the truth and only apple fanboys don't see it.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Nintendo should take 16gb, just to facilitate porting efforts into their system, 12 isn't terrible, but it's not great either. 256Gb internal is neat, I'm still debating on what system to get next, upgrade to PS5 Pro or Switch 2 at launch.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I only ever used the switch 1 in handheld mode.
For the switch 2 I plan to use it exclusively in docked mode. No OLED screen in exchange for 12gb RAM is a trade off that I’m willing to make and I think is the right move for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Woopah

Bearing in mind that the announcement will be this fiscal year (up to March 2025) and that the devs as far as we know don’t have the kits yet, couldn’t this be the dev kit?
It kind of makes sense. A 10GB system (a lot, considering that is a PS4) with 12GB dev kit is more in line with the Nintendo we all know and love (to hate).
Devs should absolutely have dev kits by now, as they'll need to be creating/porting games to Switch 2 and that could take years.

In either case, the parts being shipped seem to be the actual system to me, and not a dev kit.

Ev1L AuRoN

God dam it no information about the screen, i really want to know if its going to be a 3D screen again.
Unlikely, I'm hoping for an OLED HDR 120hz display, just so 40fps could be a thing on the system, technically 90hz would do the trick.
Knowing Nintendo, they will want to sell the console under 399 and be profitable day one, so, the risk is that they lunch the console
with a shitty IPS SDR display with 60hz refresh rate.

CS Lurker

In either case, the parts being shipped seem to be the actual system to me, and not a dev kit.

The codes make it clear that it's retail (devkits have a different code), but some people will never believe something good coming from Nintendo (and when it's confirmed, we'll see goalposts moving and they will start saying it's barely ok, and that it should have been much better lmao)

There was some new (maybe?) info on ResetERA, I guess I can post here but if it's repeat I apologize in advance:

Credit to Poptire

From Famiboards and @Inukage - a detailed breakdown of what was found:

Even after the RAM and storage size, there's so much in the March shipment data I don't even know where to begin. So far nothing else at that level has popped up, so more along the lines of what I was originally saying before those were found. This won't be comprehensive, and I'll have to keep following up. I may also repeat some things others have posted (or will have posted by the time I finish typing the post), so apologies in advance. Some things in here were discovered and/or researched by Thraktor, LuigiBlood, and others.

I guess I'll start by saying, with reasonable confidence, that HGU1100 is the console, HGU1110 is the left Joy-con, HGU1120 is the right Joy-con, and HGU1130 is the dock. I'm not 100% confident, so take all of this with a grain of salt. But there are enough different listings that hint at this being the case, and it matches how the numbers HGU0700, HGU0710, HGU0720, and HGU0730 were used for the original Switch (except that the left and right Joy-cons may be flipped, assuming I don't have one of them wrong). So, grain of salt taken, bear that information in mind when I or anyone else posts a listing containing one of those HGU codes.

I think the previously seen new codes -- HGU1000, HGU1010, and HGU0820 -- may have been catch-alls, or possibly a way to organize things in a SKU containing the whole console set, versus just the console, or just the controllers, which is also something that can be seen with the old HGU07xx numbers. Almost all of the interesting new stuff in March is showing up under HGU11xx, but the others are still around, and as mentioned before there are some new ones there too. Also check out that post for the return for the return of the long-lost CKUI.

The other place new stuff is showing up is in listings that don't have HGU codes at all. But many of them do have NL-AM categories instead, which as far as I can tell, are 100% associated with Nintendo, just like HGU is. These may be trickier to sort through, because NL-AM listings were and are still used for current Switch models, so cross-referencing is needed to determine if a listing is really new. One that that helps is that a lot -- but not all -- NL-AM listings also have HGU codes on them, so we can discount any that have the old HGU0700, HGU0800, HGU0810, or HGU0910. If an NL-AM listing doesn't have HGU on it, and the quantity is only hundreds or thousands, instead of the high mass production-like quantities on old parts, that's an indication that it's probably for new hardware.

There are also listings that don't have any product codes on them at all, or at least not recognizable ones. Sometimes we see Nintendo's name pop up if we're lucky, but sometimes we just have to guess or assume. And that should be a good reminder not to consider anything 100% set in stone, adding together all of that with incomplete or questionably translated descriptions, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, on to some listings.
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/MT62F768M64D4EK-026/
This is the 6 GB RAM chip; two will be used for a total of 12 GB. Here's Micron's page for it. It is listed as LPDDR5 having a speed of 7500 MT/s, which is an LPDDR5X speed, so that's kind of strange. The page for the faster -023 version of this part also says LPDDR5, but I noticed that when filtering by type, -023 actually does show up under a LPDDR5X filter, while -026 shows up under an LPDDR5 filter. Anyway, the speed is what's important, and @Thraktor and others have already been breaking that down.

• NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/THGJFGT1E45BAILHW0 /
This is the 256 GB UFS 3.1 storage chip. Here's Kioxia's page for it. I think speed estimates and such have also already been posted.

• NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC CHIP/IC/SOC GMLX30-R-A1/
And here's the other big one along with the RAM and storage: T239. Yes, this is in fact the Switch 2 SoC, with its proper Nvidia production part number. The Tegra X1 in the original Switch had a part number of ODNX02-A2, while TX1+/Mariko is ODNX10-A1. The "ODN" is from Odin, Nvidia's (and also Nintendo's) codename for the motherboard and sometimes sorta by extension the console itself (see my post about codenames). Side note, I've always thought it was "OD (Odin) NX 02," using the Switch's codename of NX, but it's actually "ODN (Odin) X02."

So what we have for T239 is the code GML and the revision number X30 (and tapeout code A1). I can't say what the significance of that revision number really is. But GML is actually very meaningful to me, because it's the board codename I've been waiting to see since the Nvidia hack in March 2022: Gimle. That name was in the leaked source files, appearing as the new equivalent to Odin, and it's taken this long for some sign of it to finally surface outside the hack. It seems that Nintendo is doing product codes differently this time, because CMB is being used where I expected to see GIMLE all this time. But here it is at last.

Now, I don't think we can determine much from this shipment listing, though I'm sure there will be discussion of the revision/tapeout process. But I'm very happy to see it.

• NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/ALC5658-CG/
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/PN7160B1HN/C100/
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/RTD2175N-CG/
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/RTL8153B-VB-CG/
  • NL-AM10#&ELECTRONIC IC/STM32G0B0CET6/
Next, a barrage of other (unconfirmed) Switch 2 microchips. The first is a Realtek audio codec chip, which seems pretty standard. Next is an NFC/RFID reader, so Amiibo support will live on. RTD2175N is a Realtek DisplayPort-HDMI converter; though there isn't much information available online, it is likely a version of or successor to the RTD2173, which supports HDMI 2.1 (here's a device Thraktor found using it, which has such support). Next is a Realtek Ethernet controller, very likely found in the dock, which along with some other listings indicates the return of the OLED's Ethernet port. And finally is a microcontroller based on the Cortex-M0+ core; nothing really of note here, but it is basically the same as the microcontroller in the current Switch dock. I dropped some boring diode/switch/resistor-type things from this list as well.

• NL-AM01#&MULTI-LAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CJR-MAIN-X7/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTI-LAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CMB-CPU-X8/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/ANT0-T00/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CJL-MAIN-X7/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CKUI-MAIN-X5/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CKUI-SUB-X6/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CMB-HPMJ-X6/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CMB-MIC-X7/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/CMB-VOL-X7/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/MUEL-MAIN-X6/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/MUEL-PLUG-X5/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD ATK LED/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD CJL-SIDE-FPC/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD CJR-SIDE-FPC/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD CJL-ZL-FPC/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD CJR-ZR-FPC/
  • NL-AM01#&MULTILAYER PRINTED CIRCUIT/TBD MAIN FPC/
  • NL-AM07#&MULTI-PIN CIRCUIT BOARD CONNECTOR/JACK (TYPE USED TO ATTACH TO PRINTED CIRCUITS WITH VOLTAGE <1000V)/TBD CONN/HDMI/19P BEE-CDH/
  • NL-AM13#&CONDUCTIVE CONTACT CLAMP, MADE OF STEEL ALLOY/ANTX-ANT1/
  • NL-AM13#&CONDUCTIVE CONTACT CLAMP, MADE OF STEEL ALLOY/ANTX-ANT2/
  • NL-AM17#&GAMING HEATSINK, COPPER/DHS-B093082-00/
  • NL-AM19#&SPEAKER/102000210110 (MUSE BOX-L)/
  • NL-AM19#&SPEAKER/102000210111 (MUSE BOX-R)/
Yeah, so, now we're really getting into it. This batch of stuff, a lot found by LuigiBlood, has a bunch of new product codes on it, and almost all of them look like they definitely belong to Nintendo.

CJR and CJL are most likely the right and left Joy-con, as the MAIN board is something current Joy-cons have, and then we also have a "ZL" for CJL and a "ZR" for CJR, which are self explanatory. They both also have a "SIDE" flexible ribbon circuit thing in addition to the one for ZL/ZR. The C in CJL/R might come from CMB. These are prototype codes, as indicated by the X in the revision number of CJR-MAIN-X7, and the TBD is likely standing in for the final product code. For Switch 1, prototype Joy-con boards were labeled JOYU-MAIN (U for Ukyo) and JOYS-MAIN1 (S for Sakyo), while the final are labeled HAC-JCL-MAIN and HAC-JCR-MAIN. So you can see how there's a blank or "TBD" space where the final product code, like HAC for Switch 1, would go.

ANT0 and ANTX seem likely to be antenna-related. These ones aren't necessarily strictly Nintendo board codes. Ditto the heatsink thing. MUSE BOX-L and MUSE BOX-R are identified as speakers, so no mystery there, but the board/part codes are funny. And then there are a couple odds and ends that say TBD and are unclear beyond that: TBD ATK LED and TBD MAIN FPC.

Next we have some new CMB boards in addition to CPU-X8: HPMJ (headphone and microphone jack), MIC (built-in microphone), and VOL (volume buttons). These are board for the main console, still using its prototype product code.

Next is MUEL, which is a new one. I think it's possible that this is the prototype product code for the new dock. It has a a MAIN and PLUG board, which is exactly what the current or OLED Switch dock has. I haven't seen PLUG used anywhere else, but still, we can't be totally certain of this one.

Now, we have to talk about BEE-CDH. CDH is the label for boards used in the dock, usually in a full form like HAC-CDH-MAIN-01 for the Switch or HEG-CDH-MAIN-01 for the OLED. But if this is the dock, why is it BEE? Didn't I just say MUEL was probably the dock? Well, historically, CDH has only been seen in use for retail parts like the ones with HAC and HEG I mentioned. The prototypes used CRD (Switch) and CRDA (OLED) instead, such as in CRDA-MAIN-X6 and CRDA-LED-X4. If that pattern holds, then CDH being used here would suggest BEE is actually a retail product code, so it could be the retail dock equivalent of MUEL. Hypothetically! Maybe.

And last but not least, we have CKUI. This is the first time we've seen it -- the first new product code we found -- since August (discovered October) 2023, and we still don't have a clue what it is. But by process of elimination, if I had to guess, I'd say it's a Pro Controller. The current Pro does have a MAIN board, and while I don't think it has a SUB, it's not far-fetched to imagine a controller having one. There does seem to be a lack of Pro Controller-like shipments for Hosiden in the HGU domain, though, and there isn't any actual evidence for this conclusion at the moment.

• NL-AM49#&GAME CONSOLE TOUCH SCREEN/DISPLAY/
And finally... yep, it's the screen. With no information about it whatsoever. The first time the OLED's screen was shipped to HVBG, it had the Samsung part number on it and everything, but this time, nope, we get nothing.

So yeah. The only notable things that seem to be missing here are anything to do with the game card or card reader. We'll have to keep an eye out for those.

• PROTECTIVE CASE FOR VIDEO GAME CONSOLE, MADE OF PLASTIC, SIZE: 206 X 115 X 14 (MM), MODEL: HGU1100, MANUFACTURER: NINTENDO, 100% NEW.
I haven't even touched on anything specific within HGU yet, and I'm not going to, because this post is already extremely long. But I will say that I agree that this listing (reproduced in full in the bullet point above -- see look, it says Nintendo and everything, I'm not crazy) is a good candidate for actually having the full dimensions of the system -- except for the depth. 14 mm is very close to the depth of the current Switch, and while it's not impossible that the successor will retain it, the possibility exists for it to be greater, because this one piece of the shell is going to connect to other pieces, and its 14 mm might not make up the entire depth of the console. But the 115 mm height is something we've discussed before, and after a whole bunch more March shipments, seems essentially confirmed as the console's height. And the 206 mm width is not too far off from estimates back when we discussed the height, which were something around 198 mm. The 200-ish mm width also seems to be supported by HGU1130 listings for the dock that have a 200 mm dimension.

• Handheld: Right above PS4* before DLSS
  • Docked: Between PS4 Pro* & Xbox Series S* before DLSS with more modern hardware than the former
  • RAM: Slower than PS5 & XSX|S in the speed department, but more capacity than XSS. Should have 10.5-11 GB of RAM available to games going by the Switch 1's RAM allotment for its OS.
  • Storage: UFS 3.1's max speeds should be a hair under XSX|S (2.1 GB/s vs. 2.4 GB/s), still plenty fast even if not maxed out.
    • Lines up with what Digital Foundry & NateDrake heard about decompression techniques & fast load times of the BotW tech demo (respectively for each source).
* = Not only is the Switch 2 ARM-based rather than x86 like the systems compared, it's also Nvidia vs. AMD. There are plenty of factors at play to where it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Plus the native Tensor cores of the Switch 2 will allow for DLSS, letting the system punch above its weight & decrease the size of the gap between it & the XSS. Nintendo could throttle down the SoC to the floor, but I'm not sure it'll be a doomsday scenario since this is a custom chip to begin with.
Click to shrink...

And a summary from @Serif :
1536 CUDA Cores, 48 tensor cores, 12 RT cores
Ampere architecture with features backported from Ada
8x ARM A78C
File decompression engine
12 GB LPDDR5X RAM 7500 MT/s
256 UFS 3.1

If I have my numbers right, the memory bandwidth should be ~ (7500 * 64 / 8 = 60 GB/s * 2 =) 120 GB/s. So quite a bit less than even base PS4's, let alone the PS4 Pro and Series S. However, Switch 2 is working with more modern architecture and better GPU data compression than any of those systems, and storage speed on par with the Series S & X (dunno how that looks with decompression factored in though, but they should at least be able to do 4.2 GB/s with lossless decompression if the base is 2.1 GB/s (UFS's max bandwidth)).

Although, it's possible they could be using 128-bit DIMM modules. In which case the memory bandwidth would double. However, I doubt Nintendo are going that wide with the memory bus.

Wasn't 12gb of ram the on series s declared "crippling" for current gen games? Now it's ok now?

The Series S:

-Doesn't have DLSS of any kind
-Is hindered by MS's bloated DX12U APIs (same as Series X, but the S suffers more since it's already weaker)
-Doesn't benefit from 1P who can maximize/squeeze every bit of performance out of it like Nintendo's 1P do with their hardware regularly
-Isn't a hybrid

So yes, what was a problem for Series S isn't really a problem for Switch 2.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Ideal lineup to me would be:

Q1 '25
-------
Super Switch | 512GB OLED - $399
Super Switch | 256GB LCD - $299

Q3 '28
-------
Super Switch HDR | 1TB OLED - $399
Super Switch | 512GB OLED - $299

Q1 '29
-------
Super Switch Lite | 256GB OLED - $199
Super Switch Pro | 1TB (Dedicated Home Console w/ +50% GPU Area, +33% GPU Clock, +50% RAM, +70% BANDWIDTH) - $299

Super Switch, Super Switch Lite & Super Switch HDR - Avg. Target eg.
- Undocked: 2TF + 12GB @ 88GB/s for ~612-720p Native >1080p DLSS
- Docked: 4TF + 12GB @ 120GB/s for ~900-1080p Native > 1440p DLSS

Super Switch Pro - Avg. Target eg.
- 8TF + 18GB @ 205GB/s for ~1080p-1440p Native > 2160p DLSS

40-90HZ VRR Displays on all [portable] SKUs; w/LFC to cover all cases.

Don't think these are devkits, though they did find some separate devkit entries, but again they're not related to what's been shared today which is retail unit info.

Actually, I'll link this comment from one of the guys that were and are directly involved in looking through all the shipment data for the past several months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom