• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Bundles /w Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Up at GameStop

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I thought the "Nintendo loves artificial scarcity" conspiracy theories were bad... Woof...

To be fair, GS is the only retailer they can pull this with to be honest (if true, I have no idea). Wal Marts, Best Buys, Amazons of the world don't really have the same sales set up as a GS.

Hell, most Switch owners on this forum probably bought the Switch with 4-5 items on their own. If not more. =P Especially at launch.

If you look at the way Nintendo operates, they have and always will be "the attach." Hey, Pikmin is coming! BTW, here is a Pikmin Amiibo! Fire Emblem Echos! BTW, here is a 2 pack of Amiibo! Also, the other ones will work too! Go buy them! Three more Zelda Amiibo! Use these in your Breath of the Wild! More SSB Amiibo! Hell, we made 2 of EACH one! Buy them all for your Super Smash Bros! Useable in the upcoming Smash Bros too! And Mario Kart! Don't forget the new Wheel too!

Nintendo is the king of attach. The fanbase is such an easy sell too. =P

I highly, highly doubt this. Not only is there no need for Nintendo to do this, that was GameStop's plan from the onset (they make the most money from that). It's like going up to your kid and saying eat this chocolate bar otherwise I won't give you some money.

I dunno. I heard it from people in much, much higher positions than me but its just a rumor to me. That said, GameStop needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs GameStop and Nintendo can be a big fucking bully and do nonsensical things. Don't we have a giant thread on the nonsense that is cancelling the NES Classic?

maybe on an item that is struggling to sell and a bundle is created for value reasons. Switch is flying off the shelf so Gamestop is adding some items in as they barely make any money off selling the console by itself.

Yeah I get that, which is why the idea of a bundle for the Switch is weird in general. A retailer bundle I mean.

Sometimes, sure. But not necessarily. And definitely not when it's Gamestop lol.

Yeah I don't expect the best from Gamestop which is basically what I was trying to say.

What would make you think that?

I bought a washer and dryer pair the other day which was cheaper as a pair than by themselves!

I understand the massive difference in this case, but I thought the general purpose of a bundle was to entice a consumer to buy more than they would otherwise by lowering the total price of the items included, versus buying them separately.

In this case it's just greed, especially since the main item is very hard to find. And that was my initial point, this doesn't really provide any value to the consumer beyond actually being able to buy a Switch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
To be fair, GS is the only retailer they can pull this with to be honest (if true, I have no idea). Wal Marts, Best Buys, Amazons of the world don't really have the same sales set up as a GS.

Hell, most Switch owners on this forum probably bought the Switch with 4-5 items on their own. If not more. =P Especially at launch.

If you look at the way Nintendo operates, they have and always will be "the attach." Hey, Pikmin is coming! BTW, here is a Pikmin Amiibo! Fire Emblem Echos! BTW, here is a 2 pack of Amiibo! Also, the other ones will work too! Go buy them! Three more Zelda Amiibo! Use these in your Breath of the Wild! More SSB Amiibo! Hell, we made 2 of EACH one! Buy them all for your Super Smash Bros! Useable in the upcoming Smash Bros too! And Mario Kart! Don't forget the new Wheel too!

Gamestop already gloated about the unprecedented attach rate the switch has which they weren't expecting. Do you honestly think Nintendo is threatening them based on that?

There is absolutely nothing about that rumour that makes a lick of sense. The same Nintendo that doesn't dare undercut retail prices due to loss in their sales.

I understand that Nintendo likes to put out optional purchases, but every console maker wants a high attach rate. That's just where they make most of their money...

I just don't see how Nintendo would benefit from telling Gamestop "sell these non-discounted bundles or else!". I could see Gamestop corporate telling that to their own stores, but I can't see it coming from Nintendo.

I doubt Nintendo is demanding an 800/500% attach rate for a system with like 5 retail games
Especially when they are selling third-party unlicensed accessories in the bundles like the Nyko brand AC adapter. This is purely a move to improve profit margins because let's be honest, they are always AWFUL on hardware. Retailers make about $10 on a new Switch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I dunno. I heard it from people in much, much higher positions than me but its just a rumor to me. That said, GameStop needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs GameStop and Nintendo can be a big fucking bully and do nonsensical things. Don't we have a giant thread on the nonsense that is cancelling the NES Classic?
That's entirely down to Nintendo's supply chain structure and margin's I imagine. Doesn't really have much to do with Gamestop, they can't exactly prevent Nintendo from not shipping them products that Nintendo plans to cancel anyway. This is different. this is threatening a retailer to do something they already want to do. Not only is there no point to it that's potentially damaging a relationship for no reason. An encouragement I could understand since it's mutual benefit but saying they won't ship stock is something else entirely.

Kintaro

That's entirely down to Nintendo's supply chain structure and margin's I imagine. Doesn't really have much to do with Gamespot, they can't exactly prevent Nintendo from not shipping them products that Nintendo plans to cancel anyway. This is different. this is threatening a retailer to do something they already want to do. Not only is there no point to it that's potentially damaging a relationship for no reason. An encouragement I could understand since it's mutual benefit but saying they won't ship stock is something else entirely.

I didn't say I believed it. I just said it was a rumor I was told inside the company. Nintendo has goals they want met by GameStop. So, here we are. I don't recall GameStop ever having this many bundles for PS4/XB1 because they weren't able to get enough stock to consistently send to stores to meet demand. I saw some for PSVR and as reported last year, Sony couldn't make enough to fill demand at the time, so we saw some bundles. I'm going the assume the same here.

JJH

This thread

IgMyx.gif

Khrno

EDIT: I figured this went without saying, but before anyone gets mad: Yes, this is one of those GameStop "homemade" bundles where you're paying for everything a la carte. Whether or not that annoys you doesn't change the fact that it's an excellent collection of Switch stuff and a great opportunity for those who haven't been able to buy one yet.

Yes, more expensive than buying everything separately.

I guess it is good for those that have not yet being able to buy a Switch yet, too bad they have to pay the GS tax, or BS tax should I say.

Thanks for misleading us thinking it was the MK8D bundle by Nintendo.

Steiner

Banned
Yes, more expensive than buying everything separately.

I guess it is good for those that have not yet being able to buy a Switch yet, too bad they have to pay the GS tax, or BS tax should I say.

Thanks for misleading us thinking it was the MK8D bundle by Nintendo.

b20Yk4G.gif

Roo

Nah. Once the Switch is available on its own, without the need to sacrifice my first-born or visit 187 different stores to find one, I'll probably bite. Not paying half a grand-- and getting a game that I really don't care for in Zelda-- just for the privilege of owning a Switch.
You can sell the game on your own if you're not interested, you know...

Regiruler

That MicroSD is $59.99 in store.

Of course, you can find everything cheaper separately elsewhere but...good luck waiting on the unit I guess?

One other reason GameStop does a lot of these bundles if that Nintendo and GameStop seem to be hate-fucking. Rumor is, Nintendo is demanding high attach per system from GameStop. At launch, it was 800%. Now, it's 400-500% attach. aka, 4-5 items per system. Don't meet that? Won't see units.

Asking for that attach rate is pure insanity if it's remotely true.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member

Persona7

Banned
Just watch a stock tracker for Wal-Mart and target. They get weekly shipments of 20+ while the nearby gamestops get 1-2 switches a week or less.

Somnia

These are gamestop.com only btw

Pretty positive (if memory serves me) they do not sell bundles like this in store anymore, they do it on the website for hot items to push scalpers away. However I believe if you buy the bundle you can return items individually from it you don't want.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Just watch a stock tracker for Wal-Mart and target. They get weekly shipments of 20+ while the nearby gamestops get 1-2 switches a week or less.
IMHO this is a company decision. They would rather ship you a bundle (to maximize revenue),l.

cruel business practice. i'm content waiting. not like i'd buy from gamestop anyways i guess...don't know why im even posting for that matter.

*hits submit reply*

I did get a gamestop bundle with an NES classic and was able to return the extra (and expensive) crap that it came with. You could probably do the same here if you wanted a Switch bad enough, though there's no guarantee.

Who knows if you find some hapless employee to help you, but the return policy for the item is extremely clear:

"Not applicable for return on any products that were sold as part of a bundle, unless the bundle is returned complete and in sealed new condition. "

Persona7

Banned
IMHO this is a company decision. They would rather ship you a bundle (to maximize revenue),l.
While this is true game stop is also a tiny company that receive a a fraction of the overall alottment of hardware, accessories and games. So Target might get 20 per store and gs might get 2 per store.

spekkeh

Banned
lol shitty GStop bundle where they throw in crap to increase sales
?? To be honest this is about as zero fat as it can get. Zelda and Mario Kart will be the highest attach rate franchises until the end of the Switch and you'll want an SD card at some time anyway.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
gamestop finally sells a bundle with games people would actually want and they're STILL mad?

Savitar

Sad thing is if that was in Canada that would be an absolute steal, my Switch alone cost me around 450 with taxes and all.

Kintaro

Asking for that attach rate is pure insanity if it's remotely true.

5 items per Switch is stupid easy. STUPID EASY. Every damn Switch has a Zelda purchase with it already, that's one. The Expansion Pass is an easy sell, that's two. How about a case? Extra Joycons? How about those Yellow ones? Amiibo to go with it? Lets throw on Mario Kart 8. It's next week anyway. Did you see ARMS or Splatoon? How about Minecraft? Awesome summer games. Etc.

Every console out of the door should have 4-5 items with it. EASY. Come on now. Just go look through the March Pick up thread. EASY. =P

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
mario-kart-8-deluxe-bundle.jpg

Guess I'm not Russian enough?

I'm pretty sure that was deduced to be a retailer-assembled bundle due to the mismatched colors of Joy-Cons and poor atrocious Photoshop job, no?

Edit: Not to mention a bundled copy of MK8 officially would be digital, and thus wouldn't show a Switch case on the front of the box...also Nintendo's official bundles don't just plop the game box onto the packaging like that.

?? To be honest this is about as zero fat as it can get. Zelda and Mario Kart will be the highest attach rate franchises until the end of the Switch and you'll want an SD card at some time anyway.

It's more expensive than buying the games then the SD card separate.

Separate on Amazon those all would cost $480-$490 depending on the SD Card you bought. You could even upgrade to a 200GB SD Card and pay the same because of free shipping.

Top Bottom