• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch: Buy Sonic Mania for EUR9.97 / USD11.70 on the Russian eShop

Smellycat

Like everyone said. Create a russian nintendo account, set that account up on your switch. Open the eshop on your switch with the russian account. Hope your card works.

Sorry, I am asking too many questions. But how do I setup an account when I already have one in America? Do I have to reformat my Switch, or just create a new user?

Dremorak

Banned
Sorry, I am asking too many questions. But how do I setup an account when I already have one in America? Do I have to reformat my Switch, or just create a new user?

I would recommend having a few accounts set up with different regions so you can have some more options. I have NZ, US and Japan and its great to see the different things that pop up each week.

sinkfla87

This is in no way any type of ethical dilemma or corporate ballwashing for me. The way it will come back in karma will be restrictions on region free. THAT's why you shouldn't do this. Is it worth losing unrestricted access to a global library to save 8 bucks here and there? How does this affect third party strategy as far as games released on Switch?

I was honestly always puzzled as to why Nintendo continued region locking for so long. Now I see...

Not happening. The percentage of sales from people doing this is WAY less than you probably think. People with US credit/debit cards cannot enter this fray. People that are currently doing this are people that are interested enough in the game to buy it at a lower price but obviously did not buy it at launch and weren't going to buy it until it went on sale anyway. If anything this just earned Nintendo a lot more money from new sales up front that would not have occurred otherwise. Also, there is a giant world outside of the internet that would rather just buy their game on their own respective store instead of dealing with the hassle of "region forgery", and an even bigger world of people who still probably don't know and don't care about this trick that only saves 9 bucks.

If you would rather give your money to Nintendo US then go for it but everyone needs to get off their moral soapbox of overreactions and microcrimes. I wonder how many of these people buy stuff online from other countries or from play-asia. Oh wait that's not the same because it's physica-

[Gets legs cut off]

I would also like to point out that if anyone thinks Nintendo has no knowledge of this happening then they are delusional.

Rellik

yeah, but it seems like this deal doesn't work if you are in the US

Because you need either a European card or one from a region where Nintendo has no store. You can't just use a US card on their European store like you could on the Canadian/Mexican store. You need to be in that region for the card.

mugwhump

Because you need either a European card or one from a region where Nintendo has no store. You can't just use a US card on their European store like you could on the Canadian/Mexican store. You need to be in that region for the card.

Oh. Well crap.

Does that mean we can't buy JP eshop games from Canada/USA?

Netto-kun

Oh. Well crap.

Does that mean we can't buy JP eshop games from Canada/USA?

Make an account on Amazon Japan (seperated from Europe/USA Amazon), add your card info and use whatever random Japanese address as your billing address, buy whichever point card value or digital game code you want and input the code in the Japanese eShop.

Edit: Might want to make a seperate Japanese Nintendo Account so you don't have to worry about forfeiting balance every time you change region.

Newline

Just got this to work using my Monzo bank card. The final price was £9.16. Downloading it now, excited to try this out.

pagrab

Here's how I got it to work for me

Change country to Russia on computer

Go to Eshop on switch it will sign you out as you changed countries just use password to sign in to Russia eshop again

Go back to second link in computer to buy Sonic Mania from Russia was its low price buy it and download will start straight away on switch console

Switch back to your original country in first link and save and resign into eshop on switch

Happy days

I did this with my Ireland Nintendo account paying with PayPal

Godon

Neo Member
Paypal won't work for me either. Still no workaround :/ Its weird since I can buy things from the Japanese Eshop

dc89

Is this still doable?
When I go to change the region in my Nintendo account it says "Your Nintendo Account and Nintendo Network ID are linked. Changing the country/region will disable this link."

When I set it back to UK will it revert this unlinking?

sonto340

Is this still doable?
When I go to change the region in my Nintendo account it says "Your Nintendo Account and Nintendo Network ID are linked. Changing the country/region will disable this link."

When I set it back to UK will it revert this unlinking?
You can do it that way, but you’re better off just setting up a new user with a Nintendo Account in the country you plan on accessing the eshop of. If you have any money in the wallet you can’t change regions back.

You can do it that way, but you’re better off just setting up a new user with a Nintendo Account in the country you plan on accessing the eshop of. If you have any money in the wallet you can’t change regions back.

I disagree, as that means filling your Switch full of useless accounts, and when the day comes you need to transfer stuff from your Switch for whatever reason (next Nintendo system, need a replacement Switch, etc), doing so could be very hard or even impossible if you need to transfer purchases from multiple accounts.

You don't need to add money to your wallet if you just pay for games via PayPal.

Top Bottom