• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Joycon's latching mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy he's quoting is from this thread :p

Jeff is fantastic. He asks questions before they become an issue, has a lot of foresight. It's a lot to do with why he's so good to watch. At least for me.

That makes it even better.

It's not like he even made a big deal about it, it's like a 1 minute exert.

Geg

Jesus Christ. No it's not. The system survived falling on concrete, and he pushed down and applies some force. The system does not break, and the screen does not fall out. The latch disconnects so it doesn't snap.

Whyyyyy are people still talking about this hahah.

You know why. It's neogaf

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was thinking why not do the reverse, slide them in from the bottom so whatever hook or thing that prevents them from sliding in backwards keeps the screen up so you can't even force it down.

But then I guess the controllers could fall, but a fallen controller is much better than a screen.

That's assuming these get loose enough over time that this is even an issue.

They slide from the top so you can attach them on the unit while it's docked.

krumble

I imagine it would be faster to ask reviewers and get a response, than anything meaningful from Nintendo.
I kinda worry sites will fear a potential backlash though and so will get less clicks on their Nintendo content.

At the least we'll have confirmations come launch day, with people testing to see if you need to press the release button on theirs before taking it off.

Hopefully we'll hear something more concrete before then.

Wasn't he being ironic?

Asking a company why their tech product has a problem after its been dropped on concrete, what world do we live in?

Metroid

The guy he's quoting is from this thread :p

Jeff is fantastic. He asks questions before they become an issue, has a lot of foresight. It's a lot to do with why he's so good to watch. At least for me. Messing around is a big bonus too.

I still don't like him. He seems unsympathetic to me.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is a non issue at all
I have specifically tried this on a the 12 units I have seen. They are sI'd, he iansert/extract mechanism is solid and we'll designed
Some unit was even too hard to extract the joyxconsole from
They did a good job in terms of industrial design here

This and the kickstand issues are non issues at all and the videos trying to stress these aspects as problematic are weird at best

-MB-

This is a non issue at all
I have specifically tried this on a the 12 units I have seen. They are sI'd, he iansert/extract mechanism is solid and we'll designed
Some unit was even too hard to extract the joyxconsole from
They did a good job in terms of industrial design here

This and the kickstand issues are non issues at all and the videos trying to stress these aspects as problematic are weird at best

It is mmostly the OP who spun it that way, for obvious reasons to anyone who know him longer than today, the original GB stream was not even like that. Out of context and all.

shandy706

Just threw my test system at a brick wall and they came off. Unacceptable.

Have we got any more news on the synchronization problems?

watershed

Banned
This reminds me of that Engadget "don't be clumsy and knock over the Switch in tabletop mode" where the guy intentionally moves his hands around frantically to show that he can indeed knock over the Switch. It's like yes, and I can intentionally throw my Switch off my balcony if I want to.

Grief.exe

This reminds me of that Engadget "don't be clumsy and knock over the Switch in tabletop mode" where the guy intentionally moves his hands around frantically to show that he can indeed knock over the Switch. It's like yes, and I can intentionally throw my Switch off my balcony if I want to.

PSA: Be careful when playing your Switch over an open fire.

I can see kids forcing off the joycons rather than using the button. But then again, kids dont really play nintendo consoles anymore or at least as much

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
But OP is still misrepresenting the issue here it's not giantbomb who are making this a big deal as they don't know if it has anything to do with them dropping the system earlier or if it's like this by default. They didn't even say it was bad if they would come down udner pressure just that it might be a possibility and iirc Jeff even commented on how it could take a beating as it's not broken after they accidently dropped it on concrete.

Then someone went and posted someone's hyperbolic post who misunderstood the situation that OP talked about to Jeff's blog without context, real cool people.

OP with his high horse too with the "I like Jeff because he sees issues before they become apparent" when in reality Jeff didn't really see any issue here, he and Rory tried to replicate the thing he did earlier and then Jeff said he would make a comparison with his own switch when it gets to him.

ASIS

Sounds like a German-English 'false friend' to me (words that sound similar but have different meanings).

I think unfriendly was the intended meaning.

I love Jeff.

Same with french I think.

sympathetic means nice or kind. So I presume unsympathetic is unkind or not very nice.

EDIT:

Haha, exactly this. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Well there it is. If a Mod can please remove my completely off topic and useless post I'd appreciate that very much :p.

Thraktor

It's fairly normal for a device like this to be designed to disengage when a certain force is applied to it in order to prevent damage (as the joy-con coming off is much better than either the joy-con or Switch being damaged).

In fact, given Nintendo filed a quite extensive patent application covering the mechanism by which the joy-cons attach to the Switch, it shouldn't be too surprising to see that they actually described this exact functionality in the patent:

[0239] As described above, in the second configuration example, a portion of the top surface portion 303 that forms the cut-out portion C1 (in other words, a portion around the cut-out portion C1) functions as a stop-receiving portion with which the stop member is to engage. In the second configuration example, the slide movement of the left controller 3 attached to the main unit 2 is limited (or "locked") by the stop-receiving portion and the stop member 319, instead of the engagement hole 16 and the projection 41 in the first configuration example, the details of which will be described later. Note that a state in which the slide movement is limited (in other words, "locked") is a state in which the stop member 319 is interfered by the stop-receiving portion, thereby preventing the slide movement. Note that "to limit (or lock)" the slide movement means to prevent the slide movement with a force less than a certain level, and means that the slide movement may be allowed when a force greater than a certain level is applied (thereby disengaging the stop member 319 from the stop-receiving portion).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jesus Christ. No it's not. The system survived falling on concrete, and he pushed down and applies some force. The system does not break, and the screen does not fall out. The latch disconnects so it doesn't snap.

Whyyyyy are people still talking about this hahah.

For all the people jumping to conclusions about a possible issue with the latch,mtheremare just as many jumping to conclusion that the drop will have damaged the latch, are closed nothing more to talk about

We have no idea what the drop will or won't have damaged

kennyamr

What is wrong with some people.

If I'm spending $300 on a device, I'll treat it pretty well, not like some cavemen do it.

JBuccCP

l'm not surprised that Jeff "8.8" Gerstmann is trying once again to sabotage a Nintendo product. Hopefully this time Nintendo responds with legal action. They've said before they think the Switch could be a Wii like success, if it only sells Wii U numbers now a lot of that could rightfully be blamed on Jeff, and the other Jeff (Bakalar for his cute little stand hitpiece). That's billions of dollars he could be costing Nintendo here, l hope them and their CBS lawyers are ready for a fight.

Vitacat

I can see kids forcing off the joycons rather than using the button. But then again, kids dont really play nintendo consoles anymore or at least as much

I bet we'll see big rubbery covers for the switch+joycons that don't even let them come off, for people who give them to younger kids. Similar to what they have for iPads.

a89a8ea1f3791ab90e3b5006d5d2e06d.jpg

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah the Switch has all kinds of hardware issues. I'm fairly confident that if I throw one down towards the ground with enough force, it'll break.

That's not great reliability.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
l'm not surprised that Jeff "8.8" Gerstmann is trying once again to sabotage a Nintendo product. Hopefully this time Nintendo responds with legal action. They've said before they think the Switch could be a Wii like success, if it only sells Wii U numbers now a lot of that could rightfully be blamed on Jeff, and the other Jeff (Bakalar for his cute little stand hitpiece). That's billions of dollars he could be costing Nintendo here, l hope them and their CBS lawyers are ready for a fight.

What.

-MB-

I sincerely hope this is sarcasm.
It is right....?
Is it?

Gestault

/s ?

Gotta be Poe's Law in action.

Cartho

I for one am DISGUSTED that we've not heard anything from Nintendo on whether the Switch can be played underwater, specifically at depths of 350m or more. I work as a deep sea diver and want to play my switch in between mending seismographs.

I bet that Switch won't work underwater. That's just the sort of shoddy, toy like design I'd expect from Nintendo - they never think about guys like me.

Zombine

Banned
Thankfully none of us occupy the same universe as the infomercial people or we would be screwed while playing Switch.

infomercial-fail-spill-chips.gif

OK now I've heard it all.

Hello?

ValeYard

Haha, exactly this. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No shame in that bud. I'm English living in Germany and have to be mindful.

On the joycons: would be interesting if dropping the switch caused the mechanism to loosen, but I'm not too worried.

My Macbook slid off my bed last night and seems ok...

jaina

He forgot the /s. And it certainly doesn't help with anything, so I'm calling it a shitpost like it is.
/s is there, took me a while. But you're right that this fun shitpost still does not help to get this discussion back on track.

mj1108

Have the outlets that have the hardware early been testing the amount of force (using force gauges or weights) that it takes to do these things (overload joycon locking mechanism, kickstand joint etc).

No, since they have been using the system normally and not trying to create issues.

Crayon

If you are twisting or prying on it, the controller latch should release before something else breaks. This is basic engineering.

Syranth

Yeah the Switch has all kinds of hardware issues. I'm fairly confident that if I throw one down towards the ground with enough force, it'll break.

That's not great reliability.

Then you shouldn't have a phone, a tablet, a camera, a controller for any system, any portable game system (like the Switch), the HTC Vive, Oculus Touch, TV remote, remote control car, remote control airplane, remote control helicopter or drone, electronic car keys, most toys or action figures, dinnerware, drinking glasses, eye glasses, hand held vacuum, some flash lights, a small to medium sized pet, or a baby to name just a FEW. All portable things. All breakable if you throw them down. Just like this gauntlet (*SLAM*).

Unless you forgot your "/s". If so then disregard.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Given the poor level of discussion, and the rather questionable premises for the thread (console dropped on concrete, misrepresentation of the situation in OP etc.); let's wait and see if this is a widely reported - concrete - issue before going bananers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom