• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Rays Announces Xenosaga Collaboration

Bandai Namco has announced that their free-to-play Japan mobile game, Tales of the Rays, will have a collaboration with their JRPG series, Xenosaga.

The announcement trailer showcases various units and characters that fans can anticipate from the collaboration, including KOS-MOS, T-ELOS, Momo, and Chaos. Additionally, Laphicet, Velvet, and Kanonno Earhart are highlighted in the costumes of those characters. Further, KOS-MOS’ original voice actress, Mariko Suzuki, will reprise her role.

However, no date for this collaboration has been set.

You can view the collaboration’s illustrations below:

F1oEm1n.png

WMGEJYi.png

IPlA2Mq.png

o45SEUa.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't believe Namco hasn't done a Xenosaga remastered trilogy. Do they not like to print money?
They're extremely heavy on FMV.
At minimum they'd need a lite Remake.
The cut scenes would definitely need redoing and that's probably why it got shot down
But I think it would be worth it.
Otherwise it's another gem lost in time
If only you could pop your PS2 disc into a PS5 and play them

dave_d

Kind of surprised the PS2 versions aren't on the Playstation store.(Since quite a few PS2 games are on it for the PS4/PS5) Admittedly I missed out. I got the first one which didn't seem to be anything special so I didn't bother with the other 2. When I heard they were a lot better those 2 were going for quite a bit of money.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I can't believe Namco hasn't done a Xenosaga remastered trilogy. Do they not like to print money?
People might be interested because of what Monolith brought to Nintendo. But this original trilogy shot itself in the foot with the second game. The first and third games are great and the second one almost seems unnecessary in the scope of things. Which is strange to say considering it was supposed to be a 7 parts If I am not mistaken, touching on what happened in Xenogears. With the ambition cut down, the second game seems like a gaiden, a side story. I enjoyed the main game for what it was, but the side game involved seemed more fun at the time.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
People might be interested because of what Monolith brought to Nintendo. But this original trilogy shot itself in the foot with the second game. The first and third games are great and the second one almost seems unnecessary in the scope of things. Which is strange to say considering it was supposed to be a 7 parts If I am not mistaken, touching on what happened in Xenogears. With the ambition cut down, the second game seems like a gaiden, a side story. I enjoyed the main game for what it was, but the side game involved seemed more fun at the time.
The second game had interesting gameplay tho. It was learn to play or fuck off. When it clicked, it was definitely more fun than the third’s much slower pace and more traditional turn system.

Where they shot themselves in the foot was in completely changing the artstyle. The first Xenosaga aged like milk design-wise, but the second was always ugly. And those loading times for battles, ugh.

NanaMiku

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Man it sucks that all of the good parts about JP games 15+ years ago have been relegated to gacha games now.

Fanservice, crazy designs, quirky yet deceptively heavy storytelling, banger music. It's all in gacha now because that's where the money is.
Just have to play games from 15 years ago. Most cases current games cannot live up to them. Thus far my favorite gaming era is in the 2000's or the PS2 era. And has been for a long time. If we didn't have a great Indie Gaming scene with the occasional goldmine of a game I think we would be in a big gaming drought.

----------

As much as I'd like a Xenosaga 4 and the return of KOS-MOS I don't think it'll ever happen. Remasters of the Trilogy have been suggested before but Harada politely said it isn't going to happen but he would put the word in. Over the years Xenosaga has been relegated to just cameo roles in other RPGs. Besides I think Xenosaga's lead writers have found their new home in Xenoblade for the time being.

Xenoblade 2 is probably the closest we will get. The entirety of Xenosaga is owned by Namco and they've long deemed any big project with the IP to be unprofitable.

OuterLimits

Kind of surprised the PS2 versions aren't on the Playstation store.(Since quite a few PS2 games are on it for the PS4/PS5) Admittedly I missed out. I got the first one which didn't seem to be anything special so I didn't bother with the other 2. When I heard they were a lot better those 2 were going for quite a bit of money.

Wouldn't agree that "quite a few PS2 games" are on PS4/5. They abandoned the whole PS2 on PS4 initiative fairly quickly I believe. The PS2 games available on PS+ Premium are basically just the PS2 games released on PS4.(which occurred at launch of service)

I am the same on just buying Xenosaga 1. It was a decent enough game, but I didn't love it enough to buy the second game when it had very mixed reviews.

NanaMiku

Just have to play games from 15 years ago. Most cases current games cannot live up to them. Thus far my favorite gaming era is in the 2000's or the PS2 era. And has been for a long time. If we didn't have a great Indie Gaming scene with the occasional goldmine of a game I think we would be in a big gaming drought.

----------

As much as I'd like a Xenosaga 4 and the return of KOS-MOS I don't think it'll ever happen. Remasters of the Trilogy have been suggested before but Harada politely said it isn't going to happen but he would put the word in. Over the years Xenosaga has been relegated to just cameo roles in other RPGs. Besides I think Xenosaga's lead writers have found their new home in Xenoblade for the time being.

Xenoblade 2 is probably the closest we will get. The entirety of Xenosaga is owned by Namco and they've long deemed any big project with the IP to be unprofitable.
Xenoblade 3 has closer relation to Xenosaga than Xenoblade 2. In Xenoblade 2 KOS-MOS and T-Elos are basically cameo.

GMsJtJh.png

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Xenoblade 3 has closer relation to Xenosaga than Xenoblade 2. In Xenoblade 2 KOS-MOS and T-Elos are basically cameo.
Yes it does. Blade, Saga, X will all converge at one point I feel. Maybe Gears as well. I look forward to the next installment in the Xeno franchise.

cireza

Still the best collab:

Personally prefer OG Saga on DS, as the pixel-art was glorious. For some reason, they softened everything on 3DS, probably to do some uneven scaling and make characters bigger than the size at which they were drawn.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Personally prefer OG Saga on DS, as the pixel-art was glorious. For some reason, they softened everything on 3DS, probably to do some uneven scaling and make characters bigger than the size at which they were drawn.

Love Endless Frontier. Especially Exceed.

-Zelda-

Banned
This so much. All I ever hear from people online is how this is the "era of remasters and rereleases" yet I never get the remastered rereleases I truly want to play.

Where is Skies of Arcadia? The Tellius Fire Emblem games? Where is the Xenosaga trilogy? where is Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD? (outside of the failed Wii U) Where is the first three Fatal Frame games? Onimusha 2 and 3? Xenoblade Chronicles X? Final Fantasy 13 trilogy? and several others I really miss.

NanaMiku

Love Endless Frontier. Especially Exceed.

Too bad they didn't continue it. The only one who survive to newer game is Haken

Would love to see a JRPG in that style. Would look amazing. Not that 2D Celshading characters with 3D backgrounds. The first Nini Kuni comes to mind. I think that was all Celshading
Someone tried making game with anime graphic. It bombed

Pejo

Someone tried making game with anime graphic. It bombed

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time with billions of dollars to give proper budgets to games that were on the cusp of doing something really cool, and properly fund it/flesh it out. This is one of those games. Despite the awful gameplay and like 15 frames of animation per character, this game had some potential which was never realized. I think the localized name for this was Time & Eternity, right?

Also, unrelated, I'd stop by Capcom and give them as much money as they needed to make the gameplay segments of Asura's Wrath better.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Too bad they didn't continue it. The only one who survive to newer game is Haken
Aschen Brodel too. Lamia Loveless will also glitch into a Aschen Brodel voice during Code DTD sometimes as well.

Of the Endless Frontier Cast only Haken and Aschen returned to the OG Universe and currently are investigating ways to return to the Endless Frontier.

Top Bottom