• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target doesn't know what a Wii U looks like

Ah, so I guess the naming conventions make it clearer for the public at large concerning what product they're getting (plus Apple marketing).

I seem to recall them even avoiding mentioning the word "console" at the initial unveil of the Wii U. Even I thought that this might have been an add-on right after watching that with all of the confusion going on.

Yeah, and numbers are the clearest thing of all.

etc.

You don't need to teach a customer that it's better, they already know it will be because the number is higher, the human mind works that way. The alternative is to change the name completley, like Vita (poor sales aside, everyone knows it's a new system despite it looking similarish).

It's just pure bad design.

VanWinkle

This picture makes me laugh even more. Either the Gamepad is suddenly the size of a regular controller, or the console is suddenly three times bigger.

jbwm9gkVgCx5Vq.JPG

Also, why do the have the ports exposed? It looks so ugly. That is meant to be closed when not in use.

Rezae

I own a Wii U and at first I was like "silly OP! There is nothing wrong". Then I scrolled down to the Wii U pic.... "Oh."

Terrible marketing, terrible branding, really a terrible design too when the system looks so similar. Casuals looking at the box probably think it really is a big box for a new controller.

... I still like playing Nintendo games with my daughter. Other than that, this system is just a royal fuck up in so many obvious ways.

Yawnier

Banned
This picture makes me laugh even more. Either the Gamepad is suddenly the size of a regular controller, or the console is suddenly three times bigger.

jbwm9gkVgCx5Vq.JPG

Also, why do the have the ports exposed? It looks so ugly. That is meant to be closed when not in use.

Damn son, the Wii U has gained some weight. It does look really large in that picture.

Keyouta

I really want to know who came up with, and who approved the Wii U's name. Nintendo has known since 2011 that it was a bad idea. The gaming press was even confused on what it was.

Now, it's partly due to bad marketing that the name is a problem, but would it have been so hard to use Wii 2? Or better yet, a completely different name?

Alebrije

It is. I've seen it at Gamestop when in there and at Wal Mart. I've seen people walk away after being told that no it's not an addon and actually a new console that's 350 bucks. They're like oh crap really. I thought it was an addon for my Wii. It's happening. The general public is not as knowledgeable about things as we here are. We're the hardcore of the hardcore. We live and breath games. They don't. So of course they're going to be "stupid" when it comes to this. Nintendo hasn't done anything to show them it's not an addon.

True. I have seen several times at stores

jbwm9gkVgCx5Vq.JPG

OK, and now it's upside down. They HAVE to be trolling.

That wii looks weird. I never knew it got redesign, I only knew of the awful Red Canadian wii shit that didn't even played online, but the one on the op and the first page gift looks really nice.

People may be confused now but when Super Mario 3D World is released the confusion will go out the door.

Indeed the second SM3D World hits the shelves all the indifferent casuals who moved onto smartphones and tablets will go "I NEED WIIU IN MY LIFE, WHY I WAS SO BLIND NOT TO SEE IT WAS A NEW AND REVOLUTIONARY CONSOLE!".

chadboban

Said this from the start, Nintendo did bad not only with the name of this console but it's design as well. I'm not saying the design of the console itself is bad (I love it's size and look as a matter of fact), but when people can't tell your system apart from it's predecessor you did bad, REALLY BAD.

Yawnier

Banned
People may be confused now but when Super Mario 3D World is released the confusion will go out the door.

I'm not sure if you're trolling here based on this post and the one that Target apparently has something against Nintendo., or actually serious. I've really no idea.

Nope sorry, look at the image below!

Different strokes for different folks. I believe the Wii looks better, is smaller, and has more of a theme that would look better in any color. The angle at the bottom, squareness and the system buttons that are almost the same shape of the console really appeal to me more than the 'flat elliptical' of the Wii U. I sit my Wii on top of my Wii U, and the only thing thats a downer in the Wii design is the front plate is separate from the housing of the rest of the unit.

Wow, I guess I didn't know how a Wii U looked either. I had to keep comparing the real thing and the system back and forth until I finally realized the edges and length don't match. Also Target is calling it a Wii and not a Wii U.

That's kind of funny.

JaseMath

That image is worth 1,000 words. If Target - one of the US's largest retailers - can't accurately depict a Wii U, then how is the average John Q. Public supposed to know the difference? Anyone in a high-level position at Nintendo needs to frame this and put it in their office. Something needs to change if Nintendo wants to change their fortunes.

Dave Long

Banned
So all of you being outed for not knowing what a Wii U looks like, should we be perusing your post history on GAF to see how negative you've been about a console you can't even recognize? Hmmmm...

Cbajd5

Wow, I guess I didn't know how a Wii U looked either. I had to keep comparing the real thing and the system back and forth until I finally realized the edges and length don't match. Also Target is calling it a Wii and not a Wii U.

That's kind of funny.

Huh? They call it a "Wii U Deluxe system" in both the description and in the Gift Card offer.

zruben

Banned
So all of you being outed for not knowing what a Wii U looks like, should we be perusing your post history on GAF to see how negative you've been about a console you can't even recognize? Hmmmm...

why would you do that, dude?...

it's not like they are gonna stop bashing it. you're just wasting your time.

GodofWine

I realized I also have no idea what a WiiU looks like ...or what a Pikmin is...or what most of their exclusive titles look like / what genre they are.

I'm on neogaf and gaming sites all day, and I know nothing of this device beside it has a tablet like controler and may or may not even support motion controls..I assume it does but Idont think I've ever seen a vid or pic of people playing wiiu with waggle.

Hence the WiiU.

Duxxy3

Even with the title of the thread I didn't even notice.

Why the fuck did nintendo make a nearly identical console twice in a row?

I think he's trying to say that people who are picking on the Wii U and then claim to not know what it looks like are picking on it without good cause.

One of the major reasons people "pick on" the Wii U has to do with the fact that Nintendo has not done enough to differentiate it from the Wii, in terms of physical design, marketing and software lineup. This only feeds into that.

A mess of a console. You could see it coming from a mile away three E3s ago when it was revealed and only the gamepad stood out.

Old Nintendo wouldn't have let this happen.
Even with the title of the thread I didn't even notice.

Why the fuck did nintendo make a nearly identical console twice in a row?
Who needs creativity when you got mountains of cash to swim in? They didn't even try with this console.

kinggroin

Banned
How the fuck do gamers on this forum not know what the system looks like. I mean, really?

I never cared for or wanted to buy a Virtual Boy, 3D0, CD-i or whatever other failed platform out there, but for the sake of my interest in the hobby, I at least know what they're about.

So we can't comment on the system's library and sales unless we know precisely how round the edges are and where are the USB slots?

SpecX

I didn't noticed till it was pointed out. I understand the console will sit out of eyes reach, but at least put more effort into it so it will stand out when people see it.

People not recognizing it is only another reason to criticize it.

Dicer

Banned
Someone at the Target ad dept is clearly trolling, there are plenty of stock images to use, but someone went out of their way to poorly edit and slap that in the flyer...

Sure the consoles look totally similar, except for the dimensions and the sharp Vs. rounded edges.

But whatever, the avg consumer doesn't know any better just and add on for the Wii, etc etc etc...

Top Bottom