• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Interview: Gears of War 4

I'm not sure about longevity either but...I just cannot deal with LCD. It just does not work for me.

Nothing made that more clear than seeing the PC version running on a 98" 4K LCD (among many other instances). The difference in black reproduction in a dark room is just night and day. Local dimming helps but I still don't like it.

I've held onto my Kuro plasma for eight years and only OLED has me interested in upgrading. Also, LG's OLED TVs seem to be able to handle HDR content with lower latency than many of the competing displays. Like, the Samsung KS9000 Samsung KS9000 can hit around 20ms in game mode, which is insanely good, but goes up to 120ms when using HDR. That's nuts.

Stupid question.

Is there any actual difference between a TV's Game Mode and just disabling all the post processing stuff the TV's manually? Also, why ever enable Game Mode?cat least on my TV, when I activate it I am locked out of some color and other settings for picture calibration. Not something I'm willing to trade for some milliseconds.

Is that a wrong assumption?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I thought hdr was a mode separate from oled? One on top of the other. That's what I'm getting from the other posts here.

It is. I think he's saying that going OLED is more of a jump than going from a non-HDR LED to an HDR LED.

What Backfoggen said. When you go from regular LED TV to HDR 4K TV to OLED you're basically increasing the amount of colors supported by the panel (for this specific scenario, there's other improvements to the panel as well.)
LED TV is 8-bit which has 16 million colors. 4K HDR has 10-bit 1 billion. 4K Dolby Vision has 12-bit so 4 billion colors. I believe OLED is around 16-bit?

It is. I think he's saying that going OLED is more of a jump than going from a non-HDR LED to an HDR LED.

What Backfoggen said. When you go from regular LED TV to HDR 4K TV to OLED you're basically increasing the amount of colors supported by the panel (for this specific scenario, there's other improvements to the panel as well.)
LED TV is 8-bit which has 16 million colors. 4K HDR has 10-bit 1 billion. 4K Dolby Vision has 12-bit so 4 billion colors. I believe OLED is around 16-bit?

Very informative, thanks. Will be ages till I can afford one but still nice to know, had no idea the color reproduction difference was that huge between them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stupid question.

Is there any actual difference between a TV's Game Mode and just disabling all the post processing stuff the TV's manually? Also, why ever enable Game Mode?cat least on my TV, when I activate it I am locked out of some color and other settings for picture calibration. Not something I'm willing to trade for some milliseconds.

Is that a wrong assumption?
Yeah, there can be a difference in terms of processing. They sometimes bypass certain processing steps in game mode which can improve input response.

Did the KS9000 numbers come from DFs own testing? If yes, I'm sending the one I bought back and wait for the whole situation to get cleared up. Only have one week left to do that and don't want to be stuck with no HDR gaming capabilities.
It was DF's testing, yes, but I will talk with Dave tomorrow and get some more details. The numbers he provided for the KS9000 were definitely not good in HDR mode, though (as I said, over 120ms). He should have a full article with a bunch of numbers sometime this week but I'll try to get the info for you sooner.

Exaggerated. LCDs nowadays look great and I owned a VT20 Plasma before. Samsung KS8500 is all around great for all media.

Shame about HDR and no game mode thingy though. Maybe they will fix it with a FW update.
Exaggerated for sure, it's just my personal taste. I'm also used to the Kuro which can still go darker than a VT20. The LCD glow just annoys the heck out of me, no kidding.

...but the blacks of an OLED screen? Wipes the floor with everything else that has ever been made. It's pure black. Seeing Gears 4 in that dark room just blew me away for that reason. It's really really impressive.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Very informative, thanks. Will be ages till I can afford one but still nice to know, had no idea the color reproduction difference was that huge between them.

Wait actually I might be wrong about the bit depth of OLED, and they use 10-bit panels as well, but due to being able to individually illuminate each pixel, the colors are more accurate. Maybe Dark10x can clear it up.

Yeah, there can be a difference in terms of processing. They sometimes bypass certain processing steps in game mode which can improve input response.

It was DF's testing, yes, but I will talk with Dave tomorrow and get some more details. The numbers he provided for the KS9000 were definitely not good in HDR mode, though (as I said, over 120ms). He should have a full article with a bunch of numbers sometime this week but I'll try to get the info for you sooner.

Exaggerated for sure, it's just my personal taste. I'm also used to the Kuro which can still go darker than a VT20. The LCD glow just annoys the heck out of me, no kidding.

...but the blacks of an OLED screen? Wipes the floor with everything else that has ever been made. It's pure black. Seeing Gears 4 in that dark room just blew me away for that reason. It's really really impressive.

Thanks, man. I will probably send the TV back because of some distracting clouding, but being useless for HDR gaming would definitely seal the deal.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait actually I might be wrong about the bit depth of OLED, and they use 10-bit panels as well, but due to being able to individually illuminate each pixel, the colors are more accurate. Maybe Dark10x can clear it up.
Yup, they are 10-bit panels. As you say, though, the ability to individually light each and every pixel is what makes the difference here since it can enable some truly extreme contrast that basically is impossible on an LCD even with local dimming (since you can't get THAT many zones in there).

SOR5

I saw the same demo at E3. I posted way back when I saw it, but it really did look amazing on the Xbox One S HDR TV they were playing it on. Really surprised me

God DAMN it i'm probably getting a new TV and the slim model by the end of today arent I lol

Hawk269

Well, for me, it's OLED or bust. I do think the difference is dramatic but I also like really rich blacks.

LCDs look great in a brightly lit store, I will say, but the second you throw it into a dark room the issues immediately become apparent even with local dimming.

Have you seen or used the Sony 940d yet? It has really great blacks and color reproduction is fantastic. I use my 940d in a dark room and blacks are inky black and with HDR it looks fantastic. It is a pricey set, but damn well worth it.

Top Bottom