• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techcrunch Rumor: Amazon's console is powered by Snapdragon, presumably Adreno 330

strata8

55636.png

For comparison the AMD A4-5000 has about 1/15 of the GPU power of a PS4.

FZZ

Banned
This is what Nintendo should have done. Make a cheap set top box like this and use the same components for their handheld.

Of somewhat similar opinion. I don't really believe in this idea people have of them converging their handheld and console into one device, but there is a market for a low end, low cost, good enough gaming set top box.

Iwata was talking about similar architecture for their next console and handheld, this is pretty much what I expect them to do.

Also a Wii U is still more powerful than this thing so I don't know why people are freaking out.

z0m3le

Banned
55636.png

For comparison the AMD A4-5000 has about 1/15 of the GPU power of a PS4.

Yes, but this would be plugged into a wall, so it could be clocked higher too (I think the Snapdragon 800 is clocked at 2.3GHz 4cores) considering this benchmark though is desktop components, it is actually really mind boggling.

BTW if anyone was wondering the Wii U should be more powerful than it, even if Wii U is 160 shaders (still some debate, though I'm on the side that doesn't think it matters) This Amazon Console might on paper lack against the 360/PS3 but those consoles aren't very efficient, 360's 217GFLOPs only performs around 66% efficiency, so this modern GPU with GPGPU functions should sit between it and Wii U. I would expect large publishers to make nicer looking games based on just having more RAM and better shader effects anyways.

If it comes at $199 or below and plays all android games / connects to an android phone when touch control is needed, it could be a fairly compelling device if the big publishers come.

Like an Ouya with proper business sense and (much) more cash to spend on exclusives and talent.

Sucks about not being able to compete with next-gen, but it can easily be the premier Android platform for gaming.

z0m3le

Banned
Any chance for PC streaming?

Android Apps do have this ability, some exist on Amazon's market, I don't see Amazon stopping it, so yeah it should work for that, you could even probably do Big Picture Steam but with wifi lag (it isn't too bad for most games)

Isn't the Snapdragon 800 what Sony put in the Xperia Z Ultra and in the upcoming Honami phone?

Yes.

I would be surprised if Amazon don't wait for APQ8084 which has DX11.1 compatibility and fully programmable shaders. With Adreno 330 they will be in the same position as the PS3(?) and Wii U. Makes no sense when Qualcomm are sampling APQ8084 in a month or so and it will be ready for production soon after.

Maybe they aren't going to stick to a certain specification and will upgrade their console annually like a tablet or phone and the games will scale like Android. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a console though, seems more like Apple TV if they do that.

wazoo

People woho complain on Vita library will cry on this one.

I see this as a success being part of the kindle family, but there is nothing special about it unless Amazon is ready to invest a lot of its own money, which they will probably not do.

I'd really like this if it sold previous gen 16bit games or something. Would love a dedicated emulator with legit conversions and software. I really don't want another ouya, I used it and the games were just terrible.

wazoo

I'd really like this if it sold previous gen 16bit games or something. Would love a dedicated emulator with legit conversions and software. I really don't want another ouya, I used it and the games were just terrible.

Why people always ask something everybody knows it is not possible.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Unfortunately I think this will ultimately just be another Android mini-console. The perf may be better than Ouya, but it's not in territory to compete in the traditional Sony/MS/Nintendo space. Outside of whatever Amazon may target at it, it'll mostly attract Android crossover development.

DieH@rd

Banned
Damn, and i thought it would be PS4/Xbone level graphics. This is why they are poaching MS talent for, huh.

lol
This will be nowhere close to PS3/X360 level. Sure GPU is kinda approaching them [still not good enough], but the rest of the system still has a lot to be desired [CPU, RAM speed] and off course, devs dont have direct access to the hardware.

Hoping the rumour is true. I think the game industry needs a good kick up the arse, especially the established players, so some new blood is welcome.

lol
This will be nowhere close to PS3/X360 level. Sure GPU is kinda approaching them [still not good enough], but the rest of the system still has a lot to be desired [CPU, RAM speed] and off course, devs dont have direct access to the hardware.

I was talking about prior to these info, and when the rumors started saying that Amazon is doing a hardcore console and poaching MS talent.

z0m3le

Banned
lol

CPU is actually probably comparable... it's ARM 2.3GHz quad core in the mobile version, 360 has a terrible CPU. I'd say it is very close to Wii U specs and thanks to efficiency and actually being DX11, it should beat out 360 in other aspects. The RAM could definitely be upgraded from the mobile version, we don't know what they are doing in that space yet.

Considering big publishers are making more serious Android apps now (like Xcom, dues ex, ect) we could definitely have some nice games from it, as well as having apps for streaming from PC, it could become a great way to buy an HTPC that doesn't have a paywall for online gaming. If all you want to do is play minecraft, PC games where you don't need super reaction times and an indie box... for under $200, it should be a very good buy.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
There is no market for a cheaper, weaker console. That's what last-gen is for.

This amazon console, if true, will only bring disappointment to the heart of children pining for the real ($400-$500) deal.

That said, Bezos is not an idiot. He's see Apple's vertical integration advantages. Amazon competes with Netflix for movie delivery so it makes sense to release an Amazon Box for streaming, and if you're going to release one of those ANYWAYS, you can spend an extra $20 bucks and have a decent low-end console.

I think that's their reasoning. I also think we're not the target audience (except those of you who bought an Ouya).

Durante

If they clock it higher than in tablets, the CPU in this should probably outperform last-gen consoles (and the Wii U). The GPU is about on par with Tegra 4 -- somewhat below PS360 level, but not too far away.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What the fuck is going to run on this anyway.

Android games? Lol, come on. Nobody wants to play that garbage.
Neat cheap mediastreamer perhaps, but gaming console? No.

Madness

While the CPU is a beast, would love to see how the Adreno GPU compares with the new Tegra 4, especially since Nvidia heavily optimized it for Android in their Shield device.

Interested, but last I checked, Amazon had one of those nanny-ish app stores, where "High Maturity" meant "You can shoot people with guns and see red stuff". Actual mature or adult themes seemed to be right out, and I'm not a huge fan of a store being that limiting.

Iwata was talking about similar architecture for their next console and handheld, this is pretty much what I expect them to do.

It would be neat if one of the things they first announced was the phrase, "In partnership with Nintendo..." And then they proceeded to do those things in that "Nintendo Android Console" thread kicked about a little while back. Official VC releases and such. They would have more involvement on the platform, so it wouldn't be a "going 3rd party" thing.

With Amazon's resources and backing, a strong console that is close to 360/PS3 levels and a traditional controller, maybe publishers will be convinced to port full-fledged console and PC games to Android. If that happens the effect will be huge as it will establish Android as a legitimate gaming platform and undermine Windows' monopoly as a gaming OS.

On the other hand, if this console's games are the usual phone and tablet affair, this won't manage to make a dent against already established competitors.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I can't have enough consoles/handhelds. My wallet is ready. I'm assuming it's going to be closed, but hopefully it's not hard to become a developer for it.

(Needs more console-like games, and not just mobile app ports).

pestul

Based on the gpu chart farther up in the thread, I think this device would out power ps360 and be close to wii u.

VariantX

I assume that's what all that talent is for, to make exclusives for this thing. If this is just going to be yet another device that runs the same ol' android games, its already dead in the water because everyone probably already owns 2-3 devices that can play that stuff already.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It will be interesting to what games built from the ground up for this will look like. Maybe we can finally see if those rumors about phones and tablets being more powerful than PS3/360 have any truth to them.

Durante

All these GPU comparisons, but how would the CPU compare?
To what? As I said before, it should outperform last-gen consoles. It should also probably be about half as fast (or better) as the upcoming ones.

This is an estimate for "CPU type" branching tasks with a balanced instruction mix though. For perfect SIMD, e.g. Cell would handily outperform it. But it also does that for the PS4/XB1 CPUs.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

Also a Wii U is still more powerful than this thing so I don't know why people are freaking out.

Wii U is probably more powerful right now, but until we see something built specifically for this it's all speculation. This will also likely change within the next year or two if the ARM A57 and mobile Kepler do what we've heard.

My theory on what a Nintendo hybrid could be is a set top box like this for a console that is able to draw more power, have higher clock rates and be able to display at a higher resolution than the handheld. I don't know if this is even technically feasible, but it's something I could see Nintendo trying. The other factor that comes into the equation is price. This will likely be a lot cheaper than Wii U and the games will be too. Nintendo has the games to make a device like this work, but Amazon could potentially come out of left field with this and cause a major disruption. If they market this right it could be a monster.

dcx4610

I knew they weren't going to try to compete with Microsoft and Sony.

It's going to be similar to having a Kindle Fire in console form. It will have a controller, play Android games, browse the web, stream Amazon Prime movies and have a selection of games just for the system.

If anything, it's going to compete with Apple TV, Roku and Ouya.

Top Bottom