• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEH FIANAL LOVDOWN. shufflemoveto the infooplace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You people (gaming population) went through multiple x360 already, you've shown that they could sell you crap and you would ask for more.
Seriously at this point I don't feel sorry for the poor saps that are getting xbone come next fall.

what a shit post. the red ring thing was an unfortunate production issue. It was sucky, but not some dirty asshole manoeuvre by MS.

jaypah

And expect them not to say a single word about it today. The only thing they will say is $299.

Man, what if MS sells the X1 for dumb cheap but you HAVE to subscribe to XBLG and that's the only way to get the console. Would they be crazy enough to try that? It's obvious that they don't even want you to own one if you don't have an internet connection so this is just the next step.

Mael

what a shit post. the red ring thing was an unfortunate production issue. It was sucky, but not some dirty asshole manoeuvre by MS.

Yes, having to pay multiple times a product certainly showed them that the manufacture problem they had was unacceptable.
After all "things break".
this is probably the only market where the companies can shit on its customer base openly and the base lap it up like it's nothing.
Take your lube you'll need it this time.

not. ms didn't have to intentionally create the rrod problem (& the post doesn't claim that they did) in order to learn from it, now did they? & you can bet your ass that they definitely did learn something from it...

tumblr_mdhjnfPTRP1rw2kw1.gif

Ponn

Banned
What price will make this okay for people?

$199? $250?

I think $199 would be an attractive price to your average CoD/Madden gamer who will reason they are going to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold anyways.

For me who doesn't play multiplayer online, FPS or sports games there is no price that is attractive requiring a XBLG subscription.

Dawson is said because nobody is checking their email. And he's fucking curious about this latest potential disaster.
Arent we all.

Gold being required to use the One at all was always my darkest thought about the thing, but I still can't believe MS would do it.

Gotta admit though, they've said nothing about Gold or changes to it. And that's made me uncomfortable.

XBLG being required to play your games would be fucking insane.

No... that can't be.

Can it? No. They aren't that crazy. Right? Right???

I mean maybe XBLG to play on other systems? But even that is completely awful.

No...

I can't wrap my head around how they think they are going to grow the market by treating their customers like shit.

XBLG being required to play your games would be fucking insane.

Indeed. I feel this deserves its own thread, it's pretty disgusting if it turns out to be true. The DRM is disgusting in and of itself, but not allowing people to play their purchased games if their subscription runs out in despicable on a level I never though imaginable.

It's Bond villain-esque. It really is, I honestly can't describe it any other way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
$299 launch price, $8/month mandatory subscription, full DRM, $50 msrp games is looking like MS's plan.

PS4 will probably be $399, limited DRM, $60 msrp.

Should be interesting if the "masses" embrace Microsoft's vision (I hope not)

unfortunately the masses have shown time and time again they'll sell their granny if the price is right.

why think ahead when the headline price is lower? $10 a month? well if I buy more than one game a month I'm already saving money! (doesn't realise most people only buy 3-4 games a year)

PG2G

Where are you guys getting this XBLG required to play games stuff from? I dont see anything that suggests that from the OP.

Gori

I'm ok with gaming as a service, I'm even ok with having to pay for the box itself. I don't think there's anything wrong with software as a service either. It seems to be the future and even big software companies like Adobe does it now with Photoshop. In fact, it's not even possible to buy Photoshop as a product any more.

BUT.

If they are going that route, the games shouldn't cost money to buy. If I buy something, I feel like I've bought it. Product vs Service. I pay for the box, subscribe, get games. This is the way it works for me and Spotify, where I get most of my music from.

There needs to be a clear difference between product and service. Service you subscribe to, products you buy. If I buy something it stays with me, if I subscribe to something it does not. I don't want to buy things that aren't mine later. Stop that.

so potentially, next gen will consist of 2 traditional-model consoles, & a gaming-capable device featuring a rental service that will offer many of the same titles that appear on one of the 2 consoles, as well as some exclusives?...

which ironically might be the best console for consumers that like to actually own their games. (besides the lack of an account based system) lol
Owning faeces can be accomplished by simply reaching into the toilet after evacuating one's bowels. No crappy video game console is required for this.

Ponn

Banned
No... that can't be.

Can it? No. They aren't that crazy. Right? Right???

I mean maybe XBLG to play on other systems? But even that is completely awful.

No...

I can't wrap my head around how they think they are going to grow the market by treating their customers like shit.

Hubris + Arrogance. It's MS turn now, Nintendo and Sony had theirs already. My only issue is the god awful precedence MS could be setting with their turn at the fuck up bat.

Raxus

I don't see any problem with DRM. You simply avoid it- do not buy the hardware.

Your solution is sound. Your foresight needs work though. DRM stands to hurt legitimate customers who paid good money for the game in an attempt to curb piracy/used games/gamefly/unicorns (choose an option!). It is obstructs you from enjoying a game you likely payed 60 dollars for by making you jump though unnecessary hoops.

Think of it as on the disc DLC. The content is there but it is arbitrarily locked away for you. Except instead of DLC characters it is the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME!

Kato

That's a nice idea in theory but if it was to become the dominant system, it's bad news for gamers overall.

How? If gamers and Joe Public will not be fooled? Do not underestimate mouth to mouth publicity. Media is already chiming in, albeit slowly because of some missing facts and answers.

Goldmund

I don't see any problem with DRM. You simply avoid it- do not buy the hardware.
It doesn't have to be this way, that's another point. Sure, Your Favorite Beverage Company could start putting hints of arsenic into every favorite liquid container and you'd stop drinking it; but wouldn't you rather still be drinking it without the arsenic that serves no other purpose than to poison you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom