• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

NYR

what should color gamut be set to on the 2016 OLEDs for HDR? Normal or Wide?
Wide. Whole point of HDR is a wider, richer range of colors. When you watch Dolby Vision content, you don't even get to select color gamut, it is greyed out and defaults to wide.

holygeesus

Banned
Wide. Whole point of HDR is a wider, richer range of colors. When you watch Dolby Vision content, you don't even get to select color gamut, it is greyed out and defaults to wide.

Calibrators are using normal for HDR for what it's worth. No idea why.

TB12

Banned
The black color on my Oled tv (lG55B6V) are sometimes so dark, i can see a thing...
Anyone else got this problem? if so what can i do about it?

For example the dungeon section on FF15 or night section on FF15. so dark very annoyed...

LilJoka

The black color on my Oled tv (lG55B6V) are sometimes so dark, i can see a thing...

For example the dungeon section on FF15 or night section on FF15. so dark very annoyed...

You could try use 2.2 gamma.

simtmb

Any impressions in regards to the input lag on the C6? I have no means to test it but with the games i play, i feel it might just be a bit more noticeable. I'm quite sensitive to this in general.

Post patch it's numbers are still slightly worse than the B6, but i want the 3D support...and i don't mind the curved screen.

Currently i have a 55" KS9000 put on order as a replacement for my dead Plasma, and this set is a very strong performer in regards to input lag, but i'm not fond of its black level performance, so last minute has me thinking of paying just a bit more and going OLED and just dealing with the lag.

~21ms KS9000, ~28ms B6, ~34ms C6 from what I've read. I believe that the almost 1f lag difference will be noticeable between the KS9000 and the C6, with the B6 being in a bit of a sweet spot.

Geneijin

what should color gamut be set to on the 2016 OLEDs for HDR? Normal or Wide?
Normal.

Specifically, when a 2016 LG OLED automatically defaults to any of the 3 HDR video modes, the color gamut automatically switches to Wide Color Gamut. The Color Gamut settings, Extended and Wide, within any HDR video mode is then used to adjust the color saturation even wider in BT. 2020 if chosen, but that isn't desirable if color accuracy is wanted.

Interesting you brought up LG because that was the brand I was looking at, but I'm not sure which model. Maybe I'm not quite explaining my issue correctly though. I love the fluidity of the high refresh rates for gaming. What I don't like is the way film and TV shows appear on these newer displays. I think they are too smooth and after doing some research, I think its because the newer TVs reduce or remove motion blur. Most film is shot at 24fps with the intention of motion blur and your mind filling in the gaps between frames. These newer TVs take that away. The OLED TVs I was looking at was showing a demo for HDR in a loop and a lot of the scenes were static so I may be wrong, but from what I remember these were the only sets that seemed to show film/video without removing the blur.

As far as the lag goes, I was playing Tiger Woods on a PS3 and the lag was so bad the game was unplayable. I'm talking about a noticeable lag - nearly a second between the time you press a button and the action happens on screen.
You're thinking of motion interpolation, which is an optional feature that can be turned off thankfully. Consumers seem to love it unfortunately.

Kambing

Re: Color gamut on OLED's

Outside of a calibrated set, color gamut in HDR is most accurate in Normal. If a calibrator sets it to Normal, Extended, and or Wide, they under/over compensate saturation/color through white balance tuning to get it correct. For end users without a calibration, any other color gamut outside of normal will oversaturate. Basically, when in HDR the set is already displaying wide color gamut, the color gamut setting is misleading as it deals with the saturation levels in the HDR space. Here is a quick quote from an editor at Sound & Vision, posting at AVS:

"in HDR mode, about Normal vs. Wide, both will provide the same (native primaries) gamut coverage, the largest the TV can display, but the problem is that in Wide it's boosting the lower saturation levels (make them more saturated), so for HDR the Normal is the only correct settings.

For SDR. Wide Gamut option is only helpful when you use the LG in post production for SDR @ ISF mode to calibrate for DCI-P3 or use eeColor for 3D LUT with 65-Point Cube (or other processors with smaller cube size) bypassing LG's poor CMS controls to perform 3D LUT display profiling.

In SDR mode, Normal will provide a slight oversaturated REC.709 coverage while Wide will provide the largest possible (native) so it will oversaturate a lot the colors if you watching HD/Full HD content (blu-ray/sat/cable etc..) which use REC.709. In SDR mode the Normal is the correct setting also. "

Personally, I set mine to Extended and compensate for the higher saturation by putting color at 48.

EDIT: Damn you Genijin, beat me to it

MDave

Any impressions in regards to the input lag on the C6? I have no means to test it but with the games i play, i feel it might just be a bit more noticeable. I'm quite sensitive to this in general.

Post patch it's numbers are still slightly worse than the B6, but i want the 3D support...and i don't mind the curved screen.

Currently i have a 55" KS9000 put on order as a replacement for my dead Plasma, and this set is a very strong performer in regards to input lag, but i'm not fond of its black level performance, so last minute has me thinking of paying just a bit more and going OLED and just dealing with the lag.

~21ms KS9000, ~28ms B6, ~34ms C6 from what I've read. I believe that the almost 1f lag difference will be noticeable between the KS9000 and the C6, with the B6 being in a bit of a sweet spot.

I have a C6 and I use it for PC and console use. I'm also sensitive to input lag, and I've done many tests on it myself. Mouse pointer feels good on the PC, this is a good way to test it. I happen to be a retro gamer and many games like 2D platformers absolutely need low input lag to be playable at a high level. This TV passed that test for me to. I have a Wii U hooked up to it too and it's about the same in terms of input lag as the Gamepads screen, which is to say excellent.

One thing to note though is it takes about 30 seconds after the TV turns on or when you switch inputs for the input lag to go down, it starts off twice as high then levels out.

Best thing to do is take a laptop or something to a store that has C6's on display and ask if you can hook it up to test for input lag. I did and they let me, the guy at the store knew my concern and about knew about input lag too so was okay for me to test it out.

gsrjedi

Just me or is the 49 inch and 55 inch X900E on best buy's site the same $1699 price. That should be the 49 inch price and the 55 should be going for 2399.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...h-dynamic-range-black/5748209.p?skuId=5748209

Pricing error or just my slow computer?

I believe it was mentioned over on AVS that the prices of the 55 & larger all went down about 25% from their initial MSRP. Those 3 sizes are supposed to be coming out this week and the 49 is later, so I'm guessing it's price will drop to around $1200 right before it launches.

KevinG

So, hose who've upgraded to OLED. What is the most demo worthy thing I can do with it out of the box?

I just want to be blown away.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
It just took 10 minutes to get a damn 3D Blu-Ray to play on my new E6. Pain in multiple asses. Repeatedly got the no input error, had to reboot my XB1S multiple times, yank the HDMI chord and plug it back in, etc. A couple times it crapped out before even loading the disk, once it got to the menu and no further, another time it loaded up but was stuck in 2D. Finally on one of the XB1S reboots it started playing.

If I'm going to have to go through this every time I want to watch a movie, I'm in for a long miserable time owning this thing.

P.S. Just to rub salt in the wound, when I finally get it working, my bf falls asleep less than 10 minutes into the movie.

Fox1304

I'm spending hours trying to get my setup working, maybe it's too ambitious but it's starting to run on my nerves.
I have a 1080p projector, and a 4K Oled. Trying to use my Pioneer amp to centralize everything while using the 2 HDMI Out to be able to switch depending on content is a pain !
4K, HDR, 4:4:4, Deep Colour, Hdmi handshake, HDCP, Cable quality and length, ... it's making me mad.
And to add a bit more complexity, I also have a PSVR that adds another layer of "Choose between A and B, and f**** off if you want both" :D

KevinG

Awesome! Thanks!

I need a USB drive. For demo material and the input lag firmware update.

Looks like they only changed some wording on the Return Policy. Having grabbed this deal on the previous listing a couple of days ago, it's pretty neat that eBay spells out what has changed while also indicating that I've already purchased this item.

KevinG

I'm really hoping I don't regret getting the LG B6 over the KS8000. Spending this much money on a TV (or anything really) is making me analyze and second guess every facet of the decision.

Traxtech

I'm really hoping I don't regret getting the LG B6 over the KS8000. Spending this much money on a TV (or anything really) is making me analyze and second guess every facet of the decision.

If It eases your mind abit, I returned my Ks8000 and got a b6 instead and the difference is staggering. Once you go oled there's no going back

You won't.

OLED is on a different level and you'll notice it right away.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Looks like they only changed some wording on the Return Policy. Having grabbed this deal on the previous listing a couple of days ago, it's pretty neat that eBay spells out what has changed while also indicating that I've already purchased this item.

No, I mean it was actually back in stock this morning.

This is the most I've ever spent on a television as well even with the good deal I got and I was somewhat nervous about it, but I have absolutely no regrets and honestly think OLED makes LED's look outdated now imho and that includes the higher end models. KS8000 is a nice television, but imo nothing touches the OLED and I own both of them. You should definitely see a considerable difference, especially if you dare to do a perform a side comparison between the two like I did. Again, after witnessing OLED for almost a month, I can't go back to LED.

Ok, about to order some more HDMI cables for the OLED B6 to replace my Monster 1080P HDMI cables. I was going to get the AudioQuest Pearls for around $20-$30 as I mentioned before, but maybe that's more than I need. This may sound ludicrous, but does anyone know if these Monoprice cables would be any better than the PS4 Pro and original XBox HDMI cables the came packed in as far as being more 4K/60hz compatible? The only thing that sort of concerns me about the Monoprice cables are people are saying they are really stiff and they do not bend well. I already had some bent HDMI cables and was wondering if that would be detrimental to the HDMI ports on my OLED and the AV receiver. Then again, for the price, doesn't seem like I am losing much by trying them.

Bottom line is, are these particular Monoprice cables recommended or is there something else out there that would be a little better or comparable like the Amazon Basics?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15428&seq=1&format=2

Depends on the source. For a game or bluray movie, then OLED is better in most cases, although for some HDR scenes it won't get as bright as the Samsung. It also doesn't upscale as well and artifacts from low quality sources like cable tv, OTA, and streaming are more noticeable. If you're sensitive to judder then the LG doesn't handle it as well unless you turn on the Trumotion settings which sometimes gives it the soap opera effect. That sounds like a lot of negatives, but it really falls back to how you're going to use the TV primarily. If you're watching in a dark room with good sources, then you'll be pleased. I wouldn't use it as a PC monitor though like some people do. The ABL and image retention could end up being a problem.

KevinG

If It eases your mind abit, I returned my Ks8000 and got a b6 instead and the difference is staggering. Once you go oled there's no going back

You won't.

OLED is on a different level and you'll notice it right away.

This is the most I've ever spent on a television as well even with the good deal I got and I was somewhat nervous about it, but I have absolutely no regrets and honestly think OLED makes LED's look outdated now imho and that includes the higher end models. KS8000 is a nice television, but imo nothing touches the OLED and I own both of them. You should definitely see a considerable difference, especially if you dare to do a perform a side comparison between the two like I did. Again, after witnessing OLED for almost a month, I can't go back to LED.

This excites me.

I had been reading about 4K and HDR for a few months now, and grabbed a PS4 Pro on Cyber Monday for $313 back in November. I was absolutely set on the KS8000, but tried to give it due research and make sure that cost was worth it, investigating cheaper more affordable sets. During all that, I never saw any TVs in person apart from the ones on display at Target.

After our trip to Best Buy last Friday, I was blown away by the displays, and had done absolutely zero research on OLED because they were so far fetched in their price range.

I'm so excited and hoping Adorama ships much faster than they say.

KevinG

I think, because I was already willing to drop $1000 on the KS8000, the B6 at $1399 wasn't so much of a stretch because it was such a huge drop from $2500.

JayB1920

Heading to Best Buy today and either getting the KS8000 or B6. Haven't looked at either in person yet and not sure which one I'm leaning toward. Does anyone with the KS8000 know how the contrast ratio is as well as the black level on the KS8000 without Smart LED dimming on? I can't really seem to find anything about that and Im not a huge fan of local dimming on these sets.

eXMomoj

I purchased my first OLED last year, a 55" C6. I love it so much that I bought a 65" B6 this year to put in the living room in place of the existing C6 - which is now the bedroom TV.

To me, OLED is the biggest tech advance in displays; even more-so than 4K and HDR.

Smokey

Heading to Best Buy today and either getting the KS8000 or B6. Haven't looked at either in person yet and not sure which one I'm leaning toward. Does anyone with the KS8000 know how the contrast ratio is as well as the black level on the KS8000 without Smart LED dimming on? I can't really seem to find anything about that and Im not a huge fan of local dimming on these sets.

The B6 is $2,300 at Best Buy assuming you're talking about the 55". It's been on sale for much cheaper online. The KS8000 is on sale at BB tho.

The KS8000 has pretty impressive black levels and good contrast ratio imo for an LED. Image quality, contrast ratio, black level, viewing angles, color reproduction is a significant leap on the B6 though. I haven't really played around with the local dimming a lot on the KS8000, but it seemed decent to me. Honestly, do a side by side comparison and I bet you will see the difference in the two technologies. KS8000 is a great television, but if you look at it next to the OLED, the contrast ratio and the black levels are probably some of the biggest differences in the two TV's.

Are you not using HDR for FFXV? If you're using the SDR game mode, I would suggest either trying 2.2 gamma with a brightness of 51 or BT.1886 gamma with a brightness of 52.

You might have (RGB Full) activated on your PS4 which sometimes tends to crush blacks depending on your picture settings. If RGB in the Settings is set to Full, it can make the game noticeably darker, especially dark scenes. Setting the RGB settings to Limited on your PS4 dashboard should brighten it up a bit. You can experiment with the two settings to see if it makes a significant difference for you. I generally leave it on Full because I think the colors pop more. Also, do you have the HDR on? Turn that on in the same screen as the RGB mode. That can brighten it up a bit as well.

Ah yes, this below as well. The PS4 doesn't trigger the right automatic setting on the LG B6. Just switch the RGB setting to limited and you should be good.

You might have (RGB Full) activated on your PS4 which sometimes tends to crush blacks depending on your picture settings. If RGB in the Settings is set to Full, it can make the game noticeably darker, especially dark scenes. Setting the RGB settings to Limited on your PS4 dashboard should brighten it up a bit. You can experiment with the two settings to see if it makes a significant difference for you. I generally leave it on Full because I think the colors pop more. Also, do you have the HDR on? Turn that on in the same screen as the RGB mode. That can brighten it up a bit as well.

TB12

Banned

thanks gonna try this tomorrow when my ps4 pro arrived :D

KevinG

Will my B6 come preloaded with the firmware that improves the input lag?

Edit: Got an answer in the LG OLED thread about the firmware. Bummer about the screen tearing in HDR.

Top Bottom