• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Voter ID Law Violates Voting Rights Act, Court Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Texas’ voter identification law violates the U.S. law prohibiting racial discrimination in elections, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed previous rulings that the 2011 voter ID law — which stipulates the types of photo identification election officials can and cannot accept at the polls — does not comply with the Voting Rights Act.

The full court's ruling delivered the strongest blow yet to what is widely viewed as the nation’s strictest voter ID law. Under the law, most citizens (some, like people with disabilities, can be exempt) must show one of a handful of types of identification before their ballots can be counted: a state driver's license or ID card, a concealed handgun license, a U.S. passport, a military ID card, or a U.S citizenship certificate with a photo.

Texas’ losing streak continued in its efforts to defend its law, fighting challenges from the U.S. Department of Justice, minority groups and voting rights advocates.
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/20/appeals-court-rules-texas-voter-id/

Great but it's sad that we still have to have this battle between legislators and minority populations for basic rights. This kind of thing seems like it won't ever stop. They'll just rejigger as many of these laws as they need to silence minorities and keep themselves in power because they know they don't give a lick about the interests of marginalized groups.

Nephtes

My feeling on this is that if you don't need to show ID to vote than you shouldn't need to show ID to:

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Visit the RNC convention
-Visit the DNC convention
-Check out the White House lawn from inside the fence
-Buy alcohol

That said, I'm okay with not requiring ID to vote if we can ensure no one can vote twice and dead people aren't allowed to vote.

Loudninja

My feeling on this is that if you don't need to show ID to vote than you shouldn't need to show ID to:

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

That said, I'm okay with not requiring ID to vote if we can ensure no one can vote twice and dead people aren't allowed to vote.
I dont get this.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

None of those things are guaranteed rights under the constitution.

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

Many states implement ID laws to disenfranchise groups of people. I'm all for having a ID designated for voting, provided it's free for all.

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

Please point out the fraud that exists from people physically going to polls and impersonating registered voters. Also let's detail how efficient that is in actually affecting even a local level election.

Are you sure you know how voter rolls and registration places work?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

Hahahahaha

And your second point has been proven to be almost nonexistent over, and over, and over again

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Voter fraud is a miniscule problem compared to voter disenfranchisement under these laws.

Unless you'd rather prevent 1000 legitimate people from voting for every one invalid vote you prevent. (Which is honestly probably an overstatement of voter fraud).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

These kind of laws are generally used as a means of voter suppression, anyway, not as a means to stop voter fraud. This particular law is especially strict, as the article points out.

platocplx

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

This makes no sense. Also unless the govt ia giving everyone free IDs this law is stupid. Not everyone has id or can afford an ID.

and it's easy to get. you shouldn't have to show up between 10am-4pm. hours for ID issuing places should be 6am - 9pm.
Yup. So if the state of texas wants these kind of laws they should give free ID. Im still pissed that the supreme court allowed this in other states. Without those stipulations.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

none of those things are a constitutional right

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

So, we're going to compare things that are not constitutionally guaranteed to the franchise?

Jesus fucking christ.

Glad it's stuck down. This was purely about turning away hispanics and african american voters in Texas and can get bent.

At the primary earlier this year an old woman got turned away in front of us and the entire line started booing the clerk.

hawk2025

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

That makes no sense.

Weren't you the one defending personal freedoms and the constitution on the other thread yesterday? How is going to E3 a constitutional right, again?

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

The bolded rarely, if ever, happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHFOwlMCdto&feature=youtu.be&t=399

StoOgE

The right to bear arms is a right guaranteed under the Constitution.

Do you want people to be able to buy guns without a background check and ID?

I don't.

Please provide me all the instances of voter fraud that have ever been proven and I'll give you a list of people killed with guns this month. Lets see whose list is longer.

guek

Banned
giphy.gif

Pizoxuat

Fun fact! Under this Texas law, I would technically be unable to vote! You see, your driver's license (or other approved photo ID) has to perfectly match your legal name that the state has registered for you under your social security number. When I got married, I moved my maiden name to the middle, but I didn't give up my existing middle name. My social security number correctly files me as having two middle names.

Texas drivers licenses can't do that! They not only have a character limit, but they can only enter one middle name with no spaces! A ton of married women were going to run into this little whoopsie-doodle in the law. And the jackholes who wrote and passed the law didn't care because women shouldn't be voting anyway.

Alavard

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

Do you really think the government has a say in whether or not you need ID to go to E3?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The right to bear arms is a right guaranteed under the Constitution.

Do you want people to be able to buy guns without a background check and ID?

I don't.

Except the second amendment has nothing to do with this case? Voting for a candidate isn't the same thing as buying a gun. That's a weird false analogy.

Well, I can tell that this conversation is going to go nowhere, never mind.

Please point out the fraud that exists from people physically going to polls and impersonating registered voters. Also let's detail how efficient that is in actually affecting even a local level election.

Are you sure you know how voter rolls and registration places work?

If anything, you're more likely to find fraud from the people doing their best to restrict voting rights.

davepoobond

See above.
Right to bear arms is a constitutional right.
Do you want people to be able to buy guns without an ID and background check? Because I don't.

you shouldnt be able to vote without a background check either, then, is what you're saying

StoOgE

See above.
Do you want people to be able to buy guns without an ID and background check? Because I don't.

And you also arent allowed to show up to the polls and vote without registering as a voter, but go ahead with this comparison.

See above.

You realize people have to register to vote in any election right? IDs and background checks have very little to with one another.

Daedardus

How does voting actually work in the US? There's no civil registry, is there? And not all people have a common ID? I still don't get how American citizenship works.

massoluk

Banned

-Go to E3
-Fly on a plane
-Buy alcohol

Until you guys decide to change your mind about national ID, free national ID cards, and automatic voter registration, these strict voter ID law will always be in conflict with people's right to vote.

Xe4

Banned
See above.

If doing so was a deliberate effort to keep minorities from having guns, yes. But it's not.

Also, guns are a safety hazard. Voting is not. All in all, it is a bad analogy.

Nephtes

And you also arent allowed to show up to the polls and vote without registering as a voter, but go ahead with this comparison.

If voting is a right, why should I have to register to do it?
Why can I not just show up to the polls and say, "I'm a citizen count my vote"?

Until you guys decide to change your mind about national ID, free national ID cards, and automatic voter registration, these strict voter ID law will always be in conflict with people's right to vote.

Who says I'm against a national ID card?
Because I'd be a proponent of one. A method to prove one is a citizen of this country.

davepoobond

also, let's get it straight. the Constitution says "One Person (man), One Vote" not "One Person (man), One Gun"

there are arguments that you should be able to. voter registration is in and of itself, originally, a way to depress the vote. That's why you have Republicans against automatic registration.

Dead people don't vote via a false id. Voter fraud doesn't happen by walking into a polling location and voting with a false id. It is exceedingly inefficient if you want to commit voting fraud.

Voting fraud happens at county office, where you can add thousands of votes in an easy, distributed manner.

So the premise is flawed.

Here is another problem: Acquiring IDs. IDs are not free. You have to go to order IDs in person. That might not seem like a problem. But this is Texas. You have to travel a couple hours in some places to pick up an ID. People have jobs, people are old, people don't have the money to make that trip.

collige

Banned
How does voting actually work in the US? There's no civil registry, is there? And not all people have a common ID? I still don't get how American citizenship works.

Registration for voting is done with your state government. You're assigned a polling place (usually a school, library, or some other locally accessible public building) based on your current address. You go there on voting day, give your name and they check you off your list.

People have to go to the phyiscal offices of Department of Motor Vehicles to get a government ID. These are usually driver's licenses, but you can get non driving ones if you can't drive but still want to be able to buy alcohol, go to clubs, etc. The DMV offices are infamous for their bad hours, long times, and poor service (see: the Simpsons).

StoOgE

You get a birth certificate and social security administration registration at birth. The former is issues by the county you are born in, and the latter by the federal SS administration which has a unique number that identifies you.

When you register to vote you register with the county you live in, which will verify that you are an eligable voter in their county using your SSN or state ID (if you have one) and verify it against information the county has in your records about your identity.

You show up the the place you are registered to vote and cast your vote and they check your name off the list of registered voters at that polling place. So to illegally vote you would need to 1) register people who are not registered to vote. 2) Show up to the polling place and vote on their behalf. Given that there will be north of 100,000,000 votes cast in this election this is a horribly inefficient way to commit fraud and there are 31 verified cases of voter fraud out of 1,000,000,000 votes reviewed in a case study from 2 years ago. It does not happen.

There is no requirement in the US to have a national ID card, and lots of poor people and minorities lack photo identification, especially elderly voters who no longer drive or never have. Like my grandmother.

This is not about voter fraud, this is about the GOP trying to prevent people voting because the demographic groups least likely to have the requirements to vote are heavily Democratic voters.

Edit: Citation for 31 credible cases over voter fraud https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...le-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

Zoe

In Texas you have to register to vote. The application asks for a driver's license number or SSN, but you can mark that you don't have one.

https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/vrapp/index.asp

Citizens are not required to have valid ID, though your life won't be very easy without one.

The one time I've ever seen the voter ID law do anything is when a couple showed up on election day trying to vote in a county they moved out of. They didn't bother to update their registration with their new address, but they did update their ID's.

A major problem with those ID laws is that, depending on where you live in the US and your situation, getting an ID just to vote is harder than you'd think.

Imagine trying to get an ID when you're working two or three jobs, the office hours for the ID office are ridiculously short and aren't even open every weekday, and the nearest office is hours away by car.

There at least need to be increased funding for government facilities providing license needed for voting if we insist on this Voter ID thing.

It's almost as if they wanted these laws to negatively affect certain groups of people or something....

StoOgE

Citizens are not required to have valid ID, though your life won't be very easy without one.

This is not the case currently. They check your Drivers License when you show up to vote now in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom