• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thank you, Nintendo Switch

zeldaring

Banned
Really does
It's more like PC does since you can play those Nintendo games if you are willing to invest a little setup time you can get those games with vasty better performance and graphics. honestly PC makes every console useless if you have the money for a good one.

Edit: i forget you still can't get last us 2, GOT, and GT on PC thats about it lol. if you don't care about those games and don't mind waiting a year or 2 for ports you are good.

Last edited:
I actually own TYD on Gamecube but I’ve only played about 1 hour into it (and its annoying to setup the wii to get a gamecube game running on it). So this will be a new experience for me. Very excited. Its possible it’ll be a crossgen release though.

I think it would be an odd choice for cross-gen, since it’s not a graphically impressive or demanding title. I think it was labeled TBD 2024 because they didn’t want people to skip Mario RPG for it, if they know how close the releases are to each other.

Also I imagine the Switch 2 will be mostly backward-compatible so I doubt being cross-gen would benefit anyone.

It’s an amazing game. Arguably the best GameCube game, right up there w Wind Waker and Melee.

Last edited:

BlackTron

article_post_width_wii-u-sad-1534973-jpg.47159
giphy.gif

BlackTron

It's more like PC does since you can play those Nintendo games if you are willing to invest a little setup time you can get those games with vasty better performance and graphics. honestly PC makes every console useless if you have the money for a good one.

Edit: i forget you still can't get last us 2, GOT, and GT on PC thats about it lol. if you don't care about those games and don't mind waiting a year or 2 for ports you are good.

PC has a lot of redundancy/overlap with the types of games available on PS and Xbox, unless you're a REAL sucker for the latest third person action adventures, but even those are coming over, ditto on TLOU.

Switch differentiates from PC with the novel hybrid design and unique games, and they're annoying to emulate at a satisfying level. PC at a desk and Switch covering TV and handheld play is an efficient combo, it is hardly worthless if you have a good PC

zeldaring

Banned
PC has a lot of redundancy/overlap with the types of games available on PS and Xbox, unless you're a REAL sucker for the latest third person action adventures, but even those are coming over, ditto on TLOU.

Switch differentiates from PC with the novel hybrid design and unique games, and they're annoying to emulate at a satisfying level. PC at a desk and Switch covering TV and handheld play is an efficient combo, it is hardly worthless if you have a good PC
I mean if you like handheld its worth it i guess. Most videos i see the emulation is great, and even though annoying to emulate some games, playing the games with much better performance and graphics are worth it. you also have a huge selection of wiiu, wii, GC, and are basically remastered for free on PC. Really PC is all a person needs if you not into handheld gaming and this is coming from a playstation fan. lets just you ain't missing much on PC.

Last edited:
I think it would be an odd choice for cross-gen, since it’s not a graphically impressive or demanding title. I think it was labeled TBD 2024 because they didn’t want people to skip Mario RPG for it, if they know how close the releases are to each other.

Also I imagine the Switch 2 will be mostly backward-compatible so I doubt being cross-gen would benefit anyone.

It’s an amazing game. Arguably the best GameCube game, right up there w Wind Waker and Melee.
That’s a great point. The thing is, I think Switch 2 is launching earlier than most people expect. I‘m thinking March-May 2024. Reveal incoming this year.
Bought a wiiu for 130$ and got my Nintendo fix. didn't need to pay for 60$ for wiiu games or 300$ for a handheld i didn't want. I Don't like handheld gaming. Switch is probably the weakest Nintendo console ever for me. Till totk you could basically get the whole experience on wiiu lol. Just mostly wiiu ports at full price.
I actually LOVED dual screen gaming. If they had executed the vision better, it would have been a GOAT system. I thought of it as a new take on virtual reality when it was first announced. I imagined the gamepad being your (Links) first person view as you play against Ganondorf, you view and aim the gamepad at the attacks incoming to hit them back at him, etc.
FXOM2r7.jpg

Last edited:

renx

I see some people saying that Switch 2 wouldn't be more powerful than PS4. But I have a little problem with that assumption.
Switch is more powerful than a PS3, clearly.
So people seem to think that Nintendo will release another console that also stands between PS3 and PS4 in terms of power....at 2024, 7 year later.

I'd say it will likely be faster than the PS4 in terms of raw power. Nintendo won't put another console between PS3 and PS4.
And then comes Nvidia spices on top of that. DLSS, ray tracing.
Also the thing is obviously being designed to support UE5 and new engines.

It will obviously run multi platform games that the PS4 and Xbox One won't be able to run because everything inside of them is being deprecated by developers. From the Jaguar CPU, the GPU, and the HDD.
It will be more powerful than a PS4 basically in everything it does.

Last edited:
I see some people saying that Switch 2 wouldn't be more powerful than PS4. But I have a little problem with that assumption.
Switch is more powerful than a PS3, clearly.
So people seem to think that Nintendo will release another console that also stands between PS3 and PS4 in terms of power....at 2024, 7 year later.

I'd say it will likely be faster than the PS4 in terms of raw power. Nintendo won't put another console between PS3 and PS4.
And then comes Nvidia spices on top of that. DLSS, ray tracing.
Also the thing is obviously being designed to support UE5 and new engines.

It will obviously run multi platform games that the PS4 and Xbox One won't be able to run because everything inside of them is being deprecated by developers. From the Jaguar CPU, the GPU, and the HDD.
It will be more powerful than a PS4 basically in everything it does.
Yeah I’m assuming PS4 pro power. Can you imagine that in the hands of Nintendo developers? Oh man.
40s8KMi.png

buenoblue

I sold my day 1 switch after like 6 months. Gave me cramp handheld and looked like garbage on a big tv. Nintendo just hasn't done it for me since the GameCube.

That’s a great point. The thing is, I think Switch 2 is launching earlier than most people expect. I‘m thinking March-May 2024. Reveal incoming this year.
Anything is possible!

I’d put money on reveal in early 2024, software blowout at June Direct/Showcase, and release Sep/Oct 2024. I think there’s way, way too much Switch software and way too many Switch hardware bundles to sell holiday 2023 for them to talk anything next-gen before Christmas. I don’t see how that benefits them. Not to mention that if it’s indeed true what all those reports said about dev kits going out July/August this year, then that also confirms hardware is second half 2024. It takes bare minimum 12 to prep software for new hardware to be ready for launch.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I mean if you like handheld its worth it i guess. Most videos i see the emulation is great, and even though annoying to emulate some games, playing the games with much better performance and graphics are worth it. you also have a huge selection of wiiu, wii, GC, and are basically remastered for free on PC. Really PC is all a person needs if you not into handheld gaming and this is coming from a playstation fan. lets just you ain't missing much on PC.
I think if you had a high end PC you would still have needed to get your Wii U for the "Nintendo fix". I don't think you would see everything as "remastered for free" then lol

zeldaring

Banned
I think if you had a high end PC you would still have needed to get your Wii U for the "Nintendo fix". I don't think you would see everything as "remastered for free" then lol
Wiiu is different you need a beast of a PC to run those games in 2015-2016

BlackTron

Wiiu is different you need a beast of a PC to run those games in 2015-2016

You said you got a Wii U instead of a Switch for your Nintendo fix, implying you are using it right now. I don't see what 2015 has to do with this. In any case Wii U emulation is in a better state than Switch which is why it's preferred to run the U version of BOTW on PC

zeldaring

Banned
You said you got a Wii U instead of a Switch for your Nintendo fix, implying you are using it right now. I don't see what 2015 has to do with this. In any case Wii U emulation is in a better state than Switch which is why it's preferred to run the U version of BOTW on PC
I sold my wiiu after finishing botw, new super mario wiiu and donkey kong tropical freeze those are the only games I really wanted to play. I didn't like 3d world at all.

BlackTron

I sold my wiiu after finishing botw, new super mario wiiu and donkey kong tropical freeze those are the only games I really wanted to play. I didn't like 3d world at all.

I didn't like the tone or presentation of 3D world but it had the best gameplay. Married the best parts of old and new Mario and has multiplayer. Odyssey has better presentation but if I had to pick only one to replay, 3D world. Linear stages, power ups, map screen. 3D game with 2D blueprint. I've kinda been dreaming of it since SM64

zeldaring

Banned
I didn't like the tone or presentation of 3D world but it had the best gameplay. Married the best parts of old and new Mario and has multiplayer. Odyssey has better presentation but if I had to pick only one to replay, 3D world. Linear stages, power ups, map screen. 3D game with 2D blueprint. I've kinda been dreaming of it since SM64
I didn't enjoy it. felt way too easy and too cute even for a Mario game. Tropical freeze is my favorite Nintendo platformer ever I think.

BlackTron

Of course lol. Play it alone it will put you to sleep.
The extra dimension made it less crazy and frustrating than NSMB though. People have room to walk around each other.

Did you actually get close to finishing the game? Most Mario games are easy the first few worlds and then the difficulty ramps.

zeldaring

Banned
The extra dimension made it less crazy and frustrating than NSMB though. People have room to walk around each other.

Did you actually get close to finishing the game? Most Mario games are easy the first few worlds and then the difficulty ramps.
Yea I finished it. the easiest Mario game I ever played.

MirageMew2

I get the sense people want to downplay the “PS4/Xbox One” power comparison as not being enough to compete in the year 2024 but if Switch 2 is pushing even vanilla RDR2 quality graphics for the hardware then that’s all I need.

I get the sense people want to downplay the “PS4/Xbox One” power comparison as not being enough to compete in the year 2024 but if Switch 2 is pushing even vanilla RDR2 quality graphics for the hardware then that’s all I need.
You know the crazy thing about this? Because the OG Switch has been going for such a long time , underpowered, and very successful, 3rd party software from TWO GENERATIONS of gaming will be unloaded onto Switch 2. It is going to be a system where ALL YOUR FAVORITE GAMES (with enhanced gfx) will be available , ON TOP OF ALL the new stuff. And portable.

Top Bottom