• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.) MHW is hitting the nail on the head with problems with Black Journalist majors (or lack there of) but leads me to ask a follow up question: Is there any sources or data that follows what Majors/Programs Blacks are more likely to study in?

http://www.bet.com/news/national/ph...ican-american-bachelor-s-degree-holders-.html

1. Community and Public Health (14%)
  2. Public Policy (15%)
  3. General Medical and Health Services (15%)
  4. Miscellaneous Social Sciences (16%)
  5. Social Work (16%)
  6. Public Administration (18%)
  7. Health and Medical Administrative Services (18%)
  8. Counseling Psychology (20%)
  9. Human Services and Community Organization (21%)
  10. Student School Counseling (38%)

Talking out my ass, but I think it backs up the idea that kids tend to gravitate towards degrees that 1) provide stable pay and 2) have been held by others involved in their lives.

Also:
Lowest Paying Degrees
Highest Paying Degrees

giphy.gif

Watching them fools..

Thanks very much for you insight and especially your data as well, MHWilliams. Very informative, and much appreciated.

Not a problem. You're welcome.

*Looks at "Highest Paying Degrees" list*
*Slider broken by number 9*

This is why we can't get anywhere

#1 and 2 are Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. The latter of which was actually my original major in college. I had my first set of classes and the professor was bright and shiny, wearing a tie at 8am in the morning. I switched majors a year later. They weren't my people. I have issues getting out of bed by 9:30.

This is the accompanying image in the slideshow for both:
electrical-engineer-620x480.jpg

Bubba T

I'm in my senior year for Accountiing. I'm actually adding a minor so I'll get enough credits to sit for the CPA exam after I graduate.

I managed to pass the weed out Intermediate Accounting course, but not without spending tons of time studying.

http://www.bet.com/news/national/ph...ican-american-bachelor-s-degree-holders-.html

1. Community and Public Health (14%)
  2. Public Policy (15%)
  3. General Medical and Health Services (15%)
  4. Miscellaneous Social Sciences (16%)
  5. Social Work (16%)
  6. Public Administration (18%)
  7. Health and Medical Administrative Services (18%)
  8. Counseling Psychology (20%)
  9. Human Services and Community Organization (21%)
  10. Student School Counseling (38%)

Talking out my ass, but I think it backs up the idea that kids tend to gravitate towards degrees that 1) provide stable pay and 2) have been held by others involved in their lives.

Also:
Lowest Paying Degrees
Highest Paying Degrees

Those numbers don't particularly surprise me. For some reason that Highest degrees link won't let me get past #9, but going off another post looks like a certain family member of mine chose the right one. I doubt mine or any form of art is on there.

It didn't take him long to get a job at all afterwards and it's only been two months for me, but it feels lie it's been forever. I am stuck with no job at all right now and one of my friends is in the same spot. Both of us getting turned down for shitty jobs and he said places have been telling him that he's overqualified.

I feel like I'm back in the same place I was when I was straight out of high school, except I'm at the house 95% of the time. I'm going to try and edit my last book to see what I could potentially do with it and finish up my current one, but that will take months to do and getting them published could potentially take even longer. Too long before I'll have to start paying back these loans. I hope to the lord I'll be able to find something decent by then. I'm 25 and got to sneak around like Metal Gear. I'm already upset with myself that I'm not in the position I want to be in by now. I should already be working in the game industry.

Africanus

The dream used to be to become a doctor like my father, but along the line I began to drift diagonally to biomedical engineering.

Older sister got a full scholarship to U of I and is already taking junior level classes, I am not that hopeful of my intellect. She's the one going to medical school to be a physician.

My little sister is an unknown. She may have mentioned lawyer at some point.

The very last thing I've ever wanted to do growing up was go into a STEM related field, but coming from an immigrant background its something that has always been pushed on me. Reading those two articles makes me realize I don't have that many other options

akira28

Wish I had thought of wikifeet. just repost pictures of celebs from magazines wearing certain types of shoes, etc. Make thousands monthly in ad revenues.

Slayven

Man us trying to figure out asian actors was like 6 graders doing trig. We was legit reaching for shit. I haven't thought about Kelly Hu since X-men 2. And we found out ANgelus watches the Oprah channel, thought I let that slip didn't I?

Man us trying to figure out asian actors was like 6 graders doing trig. We was legit reaching for shit. I haven't thought about Kelly Hu since X-men 2. And we found out ANgelus watches the Oprah channel, thought I let that slip didn't I?
Can I get a link to this podcast?

Furyous

Do any of you have shaky relationships with your parents.

Mom's dead, father's in jail and I'm officially excommunicated from my mother's family for attending college far far away against their wishes. Family's overrated as shit anyway.

---

That black journalism discussion hit home too close. As an alum of a prestigious Northwestern university known for journalism and a journalism degree holder here's my take on it:

It's not that there's no money in the field but that the places you start in are not exactly shall we say multicultural friendly. The good schools are in places with environments that are not 100 percent receptive and supporting of Af-Am perspectives of all kinds. You've got to break down barriers and pray you didn't burn bridges during classes or that hurts employment odds. All journalism majors from 2006-2009 faced the harsh reality of the recession. That fall 10,000+ journalism jobs were lost so anyone with a journalism degree between 2006-2009 gets a mulligan as far as their careers go.

---

It's STORY TIME!!!

Chick at the JO hit me with the light twerk as a high level manager walked in on us and she brushed it off as just joking. We got away with it. Shout out to dat white female privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom