• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Case for the PS4K: an important, and necessary, change for the industry.

ReyVGM

BadLuckBrian.gif

Nintendo has been doing portable refreshes for decades now, no one bats an eye.
Microsoft announces console refreshes first, no one bats an eye.
Sony announces it, savior of the industry.

:p

On Demand

Banned
You point out the "good things" and don't even counter with the possible downsides to this. Constant immediate console refreshes is a absolutely terrible idea and if you think the general consumer is going to see this as just 2 options (which will eventually be multiple configurations) all of you are going to be in for a mighty surprise. All this does is benefit the manufacturer, publisher, and developer with too many possible fuck overs to the consumer.

I'm tired of debating this one sided topic with bullshit illusions that everything is going to be ok.

Nzyme32

I don't see the problem with these console refreshes when the original console and games remain supported.

The only point at which people should complain, is if the quality of games on the standard ps4 suddenly drops to an unacceptable level vs what is expected of consoles over time, or if the standard ps4 loses support well before the expected lifetime of around 6+ years

onQ123

BadLuckBrian.gif

Nintendo has been doing portable refreshes for decades now, no one bats an eye.
Microsoft announces console refreshes first, no one bats an eye.
Sony announces it, savior of the industry.

:p

Oh so you haven't seen any of the threads with people upset or "concern" about a new PS4 coming out?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I want traditional consoles to fall, not the industry.
Well consoles are the industry, this could have a bigger impact on PC then you think especially if generational jumps stops and we start getting little upgrades.
It'll be like you upgrading your gpu and that's the jump you'll get, not little jumps throughout the Console generation to the point your card can easily max out games and a big one when a new gen starts which finally uses your graphics card from 2 years ago.
You're gonna be stuck with minor improvements going forward.
If this is the first upgrade the next should be nextgen but I got a feeling it'll barely be where PC is now.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I've never understood why consoles(well, the newer ones anyways) didn't have the ability to swap out graphics cards or cpu/gpu boards.

This is basically what Sony is doing now with Xbox sure to follow. Most likely with an E3 announcement for their iteration.

While Sony is releasing the 4K as a stand alone system, I think the next logical step for them and the industry is to go via the Steam Machines/PC upgrades route. Release a console like the 4k but then announce that for the foreseeable future, performance upgrades will come with memory modules and better, more powerful and efficient cpu/gpu boards without having to drop 4-500 hundred on a new interation every couple years.

Steam Machines is basically where I see the traditional home console companies(Sony, MS and yes, even Nintendo) going. Bring out a system and then have the ability to swipe out just about anything including memory and the cpu/gpu boards.

It would most likely cut way down on research and development spending when all new consoles are being developed with companies now just concentrating on performace gains from the graphics cards, cpu and memory upgrades ala Steam Machines/PCs.

kiguel182

Every consumer tech device is moving to faster iterative cycles. Consoles moving to one and maintaining the same base/architecture/OS is a great thing.

You mention the reasons to do so in a great way. There might be downsides the bad outweighs the good.

More importantly, the focus should be on games not on boxes that run it. Release updates to it periodically and maintain support for the 2 most recent iterations and it should be okay.

You don't have to buy the next iteration, but the second in 3 year and you have your 6 year gap.

The iPhone model is a great one to emulate with 3 years refreshes instead of annually

kennyamr

I agree with everything, I just wanted to point out that Sony will call the next console "PS5" even if it ends up being similar to the PS4k.

The real change for the industry is virtualization.
By moving away from consoles with long shelf live, we're moving away from high value productions. We'll have move people playing low budget titles on disposable hardware, like cell phone. Cheap games, micro-transactions.

Oh so you haven't seen any of the threads with people upset or "concern" about a new PS4 coming out?
Not only that, we had the same reactions to stuff like the GameBoy Color, GBA SP, DS Lite, DSi, PSP 2000, New 3DS, etc.

Basically, the butthurt reactions are just from people that feel their investment isn't the new latest and greatest, they haven't been able convey what the issue is exactly. When it has been said multiple times, that games will run on all itetrations of hardware within the same generation.

Pingoreous

An added benefit is am planning on upgrading to PS4K and give my PS4 to my nephew. That is another potential customer. It keeps your ecosystem alive and protects your investment. I want all my favorite developers and publisher to have a healthy company to keep making my favorite games. We reaching or reached the limit of silicone and just like the transition to this generation we wont be amazed my a graphical leap.

TWODOGSz

Neo Member
I rarely post, but you nailed it. The quick refresh of platforms signals game consoles are finally moving to a model that incentivizes rapid innovation and iteration.

Game consoles (including VR platforms) are shifting to a model we've seen in other industries, most recently when Apple entered mobile phones and the magical combination of competition and Moores Law have delivered incredible leaps in consumer end technology and accessibility (price) in a very short time, redefining and creating new industries and technology in its wake.

Thinking about how far we've come since the original iPhone gets me super excited about the future of gaming and the industries that will be reshaped and created around it as we enter this new phase.

It's a great time to be a gamer, the leaps in the next decade will dwarf those of the last 3 and I can't wait to play and experience it with you all!

MoonFrog

Not really sure how feeling locked in an ecosystem is at all a good thing for a consumer. Ecosystem benefits as cool things--sure. Ecosystem continuity as a ball and chain--why is this a good thing?! That's only a good thing for a corporatist hack. I am one console now, Nintendo, after two generations of having all three. Sony and Microsoft can win me back with software. Nintendo could lose me with software. That's how it should be.

Also, what's wrong with disruption for consumers?! No Genesis, PSX, Xbox 360, Wii?!

Perhaps PS4K does nothing to destroy console gaming as we know it. I'm open to that. But the reasons in the OP as to why it's a good thing are dubious.

TechJunk

When PS4 came out, people thought "OK i'll spend the $500 or so to get my system and a game, be all set for the next 5 years". Now there's talk of maybe having to spend $500 more for an update to the system, which nobody was expecting.

I change my phone every year or two, and though it's expensive and I hem and haw about it, don't want to spend the money, it's always worth it. My old phone works fine, it's a little slow, but that new phone is so much faster and has new features I want. And every time, within a month I think, good thing I upgraded, I use my phone so often, it's paid for itself, just in the enjoyment I've gotten from it.

If you can't afford to upgrade to Neo, then the 2013 PS4 will be fine for now, but like with an old phone, eventually you'll upgrade. I think it's great Sony is thinking about upgrading the systems earlier, waiting 5 or 6 years for new tech to be implemented is not the way things are done anymore.

And if we do stay on the same " platform" with incremental upgrades every couple years, at least as have guaranteed "backwards compatibility" with older games, like with PC.

So Sony, announce this thing so I can get my preorder in...

Gxgear

Cost of making ps4 is 250 and they will likely sell it at 299 retail going forward
Cost of making ps4k is 300 or even 325 and they will likely sell it at 399 which means a higher profit margin

What's the basis for these numbers?

This is reliant entirely on the publishers going back and supporting old games to take advantage of the extra power, and I very much doubt AAA publishers are going to make a serious effort at that while they're trying to get people to spend $100+ on whatever new title + season pass they're trying to sell that year.

I know that but starting in October all games will have a Neo mode so if you don't upgrade now that's fine, but if you choose to down the road then all games you buy from that point forward will look better on your new console.

Grandi

So essentially Sony is going forward with a "PlayStation ecosystem" philosophy for the PlayStation brand, just like Apple has done with the iOS platform since the beginning. If all goes as it logically should, the original PS4 should be able to play all the same games as the NEO, until the release of the next hardware iteration, whether it's called PS5 or whatever else (I'd expect iteration cycles to stay at 2,5-3,5 years). At that point I'd expect Sony to remove the requirement for developers to target PS4 as the baseline. So with the newest PlayStation-platform being x, the development baseline required would always be x-1, but with the developers being free to extend their support to even the oldest platform in the ecosystem (PS4), as long as the platform is still supported by Sony (meaning that is still receiving software/firmware updates).

wapplew

Not really sure how feeling locked in an ecosystem is at all a good thing for a consumer. Ecosystem benefits as cool things--sure. Ecosystem continuity as a ball and chain--why is this a good thing?! That's only a good thing for a corporatist hack. I am one console now, Nintendo, after two generations of having all three. Sony and Microsoft can win me back with software. Nintendo could lose me with software. That's how it should be.

Also, what's wrong with disruption for consumers?! No Genesis, PSX, Xbox 360, Wii?!

Perhaps PS4K does nothing to destroy console gaming as we know it. I'm open to that. But the reasons in the OP as to why it's a good thing are dubious.

True, don't see how get lock into ecosystem good for customer.
Let them fight the shit out. Why should we care for which company get to retain their customers? Sony might lose all their lead they build with PS4? So what?
If they lost it, that's mean someone else have a better product, and better product deserve to win, not the product that lock you down.

You point out the "good things" and don't even counter with the possible downsides to this. Constant immediate console refreshes is a absolutely terrible idea and if you think the general consumer is going to see this as just 2 options (which will eventually be multiple configurations) all of you are going to be in for a mighty surprise. All this does is benefit the manufacturer, publisher, and developer with too many possible fuck overs to the consumer.

I'm tired of debating this one sided topic with bullshit illusions that everything is going to be ok.

Its quite tiring, especially with posts like this

Not only that, we had the same reactions to stuff like the GameBoy Color, GBA SP, DS Lite, DSi, PSP 2000, New 3DS, etc.

Basically, the butthurt reactions are just from people that feel their investment isn't the new latest and greatest, they haven't been able convey what the issue is exactly. When it has been said multiple times, that games will run on all itetrations of hardware within the same generation.

Completely pretending that valid arguments as to why there are concerns haven't been brought up so many times in so many threads.

Well posted OP.

However I still remain skeptical that this will not bring cons as well, especially given the poor handling of cross gen.

But with that said, I understand that tools will not have to be re-made each gen and will instead evolve... Perhaps this will change the stigma surrounding cross gen development.

My finger remains hovering over the launch button to go PC, after all why not? If this is way to the future then PC has been there all along not to mention that the OS scene has improved in bringing the action to living rooms (big picture mode etc) and if upgrades are avilable for my CPU & GPU every 2-3 years I might as well upgrade on my own terms. Throw in the fact that I won't have to pay for online and the digital game prices are 10x better on PC, it's looking mighty tempting

But let's see how it all plays out, it could raise the playstation brand to new highs

Leyasu

Banned
I wonder how all this would be shaking out if it was microsoft that had a neo in the wings??

I cant really imagine too many back slapping threads about it.

People have been predicting this change since half way though the life of the 360 and it seemed obvious it was on the cards with the move to x86.

Console life cycles of 6+ years are insane in the current world of consumer electronics. The world is moving faster then that now. Its no the mid 90's anymore.

Also it didnt help the current consoles where designed and built when there was a lot of questions about the future of the industry so they are underpowered as hell.

3 years with ps4.0 and forwards / backwards comparability seems like a great first try to ease people into it. Not sure I wouldnt bet on newer games working on older boxes in the long term though. Sony being strict on that is probably just to soften the message early on.

Pingoreous

True, don't see how get lock into ecosystem good for customer.
Let them fight the shit out. Why should we care for which company get to retain their customers? Sony might lose all their lead they build with PS4? So what?
If they lost it, that's mean someone else have a better product, and better product deserve to win, not the product that lock you down.

You already locked to an ecosystem when you buy console X over console Y. My PS3 is collecting dust. If it was a PS4 and i upgraded to PS4K i can just give it to my nephew (as am planning to do) instead of collecting dust. Your old console can still have a life.

audio_delay

Neo Member
When it has been said multiple times, that games will run on all itetrations of hardware within the same generation.
If I understand the OP, this could be the last generation. Anything from now on, could just be a beefed-up version of the current systems. That means, for most consumer the ps4 could potentially be the last console that they need to buy for future PS titles. Imagine the current ps4 playing new PS games in 20 years time, that would be a great investment for casual gamers.

TGO

So essentially Sony is going forward with a "PlayStation ecosystem" philosophy for the PlayStation brand, just like Apple has done with the iOS platform since the beginning. If all goes as it logically should, the original PS4 should be able to play all the same games as the NEO, until the release of the next hardware iteration, whether it's called PS5 or whatever else (I'd expect iteration cycles to stay at 2,5-3,5 years). At that point I'd expect Sony to remove the requirement for developers to target PS4 as the baseline. So with the newest PlayStation-platform being x, the development baseline required would always be x-1, but with the developers being free to extend their support to even the oldest platform in the ecosystem (PS4), as long as the platform is still supported by Sony (meaning that is still receiving software/firmware updates).
This is not a Apple thing, Mobile phone companies have been doing this since before the iPhone even existed, just facetime, applepay and many other things existed years before apple did it.

I'm also tired of reading this one sided argument with bizarre illusions that consumers will get shafted and how iterative consoles are such a terrible idea.

Grandi

This is not a Apple thing, Mobile phone companies have been doing this since before the iPhone even existed, just facetime, applepay and many other things existed years before apple did it.

Comparing Sony to what Apple has done with iOS was just the most simple and clear comparison I could make. I didn't mean to say that Apple was the inventor of this business model, and that's beside the point of my post anyway.

OP I think your whole conclusion and opinion is based on unfounded assumptions

-there is nothing pointing to a ps5 being BC with ps4 (your entire OP is based on this assumption)

-for a ps5 to be compatible with ps4 you wouldn't need a ps4.5.
Ps4.5 or ps4k or w/e you want to call it is completely unrelated to ps5 BC.
edit: to clarify: x86 is the reason why there can be ps4 bc on a ps5, the ps4k has nothing to do with that.

-you're also suggesting that ps4 will be forward compatible with ps5 (play ps5 games) , which is pretty unlikely

As for games as a service? that whole concept can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned, it's not good for consumers.
Your whole OP reads a bit anti consumer to me, with arguing how it's all about platform loyalty... (gross)

Some said tech grow too fast, console have to be iterative to keep up, some say tech grow too slow, console power jump won't be as big.
Which is it?

A full 10x generational jump over ps4 will be available in early 2017 (in the form of nvidia gp100 and amd vega), a scant 3 years after this console gen launched.
For that kind of performance to be more affordable in a console budget and reasonable power consumption it'll probably take till 10nm volta in 2018. Then maybe wait another year for yields to be maximized on 10nm to be able to really do it for cheap. by 2019 a full gen performance jump should be perfectly feasible, let alone a half gen jump like the xbox one, or a 3/4th gen jump like the ps4 was.

Tech growth has slowed down, but not by that much, node shrinks take about 25-50 percent longer than they used to but massive massive gains are still being made.

The main reason why you're getting less performance for your dollar from console makers these days is because they are no longer willing to subsidize hardware...

-there is nothing pointing to a ps5 being BC with ps4 (your entire OP is based on this assumption)

-you're also suggesting that ps4 will be forward compatible with ps5 (play ps5 games) , which is pretty unlikely

As for games as a service? that whole concept can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned, it's not good for consumers.

X86 architecture would be one.

S¡mon

Banned
When PS4 came out, people thought "OK i'll spend the $500 or so to get my system and a game, be all set for the next 5 years". Now there's talk of maybe having to spend $500 more for an update to the system, which nobody was expecting.

I change my phone every year or two, and though it's expensive and I hem and haw about it, don't want to spend the money, it's always worth it. My old phone works fine, it's a little slow, but that new phone is so much faster and has new features I want. And every time, within a month I think, good thing I upgraded, I use my phone so often, it's paid for itself, just in the enjoyment I've gotten from it.

If you can't afford to upgrade to Neo, then the 2013 PS4 will be fine for now, but like with an old phone, eventually you'll upgrade. I think it's great Sony is thinking about upgrading the systems earlier, waiting 5 or 6 years for new tech to be implemented is not the way things are done anymore.

And if we do stay on the same " platform" with incremental upgrades every couple years, at least as have guaranteed "backwards compatibility" with older games, like with PC.

So Sony, announce this thing so I can get my preorder in...
Yes, I agree with you and OP 100%.

Pingoreous

Moving to X86 was to reduce R&D cost and compatibility with newer hardware. Remember you can just wait and buy PS4K part 2 or whatever.

TGO

Comparing Sony to what Apple has done with iOS was just the most simple and clear comparison I could make. I didn't mean to say that Apple was the inventor of this business model, and that's beside the point of my post anyway.
Sorry I forgot that's the only way some understand, I have to call my tablet a ipad for my bother to know what I'm on about lol

Moonstone

Agree with everything that chubigans said. Had also the same idea.
Gabe Newell had a similar analogy in the past. He described the console business with building your dream house - and after 7 years when everything is perfectly arranged - you tear the house down and start from scratch.

Grandi said:
So essentially Sony is going forward with a "PlayStation ecosystem" philosophy for the PlayStation brand, just like Apple has done with the iOS platform since the beginning. If all goes as it logically should, the original PS4 should be able to play all the same games as the NEO, until the release of the next hardware iteration, whether it's called PS5 or whatever else (I'd expect iteration cycles to stay at 2,5-3,5 years)

This is IMO great for consumers. I buy less and less games on the PS4 - because I realized, that they might not work anymore on a PS5. There is so much great stuff on PS3 that I own - but I won't probably ever play it, because I don't want 2 consoles under my TV or I am just too lazy to hook the ps3 up. This "hardware DRM" sucks, although it is technically no DRM. Because of this I also started to buy games digital - as they are at least bound to my account and the probabability that I can play them on later platforms is higher.

When I buy a game for PC - it is mine - for a lifetime. I'd also want to see forward compatibility. If there is a new Telltale game or an indie title released in 2020 for the PS5 - it should be playable on my PS4. So I think this step is great - although I won't get the PS4K when it launches. Still have a decent PC - not a Masterrace PC - but i2500k +970 gaming. Should be still better than the PS4K. Will have to uprade the PC at sometime as CPU is more than 5 years old and there will USB 3.1 and stuff like this.

When you are familiar with pc gaming you know that you never will have the best possible experience. Doesn't bother me at all. Even if you buy a Titan on day one, then there will be someone that has 2 or 3 in SLI, with insane overclocking solutions. And there is also somebody that has an extreme 1000$ CPU, an SSD raid, 3 monitors ... and so on.

Think I will upgrade my PS4 when I see signs that it might break and if there is a great deal. The current model doesn't feel obsolete to me, just because there is a better model.

Nikodemos

Remember you can just wait and buy PS4K part 2 or whatever.
I feel this is a very important point. Sony want to desensitise the console-buying public to the idea of buying iterative versions of whatever tech they're pushing. Sort of like how video card makers desensitized the buyers to the idea of obsolescence: "Buy now or later, it's irrelevant. There will always be something stronger, or something weaker than what you have".

Pingoreous

Agree with everything that chubigans said. Had also the same idea.
Gabe Newell had a similar analogy in the past. He described the console business with building your dream house - and after 7 years when everything is perfectly arranged - you tear the house down and start from scratch.

This is IMO great for consumers. I buy less and less games on the PS4 - because I realized, that they might not work anymore on a PS5. There is so much great stuff on PS3 that I own - but I won't probably ever play it, because I don't want 2 consoles under my TV or I am just too lazy to hook the ps3 up.

When I buy a game for PC - it is mine - for a lifetime. I'd also want to see forward compatibility. If there is a new Telltale game or an indie title released in 2020 for the PS5 - it should be playable on my PS4. So I think this step is great - although I won't get the PS4K when it launches. Still have a decent PC - not a Masterrace PC - but i2500k +970 gaming. Should be still better than the PS4K. Will have to uprade the PC at sometime as CPU is more than 5 years old and there will USB 3.1 and stuff like this.

Especially when you are used to pc gaming you know that you never will have the best possible experience. Doesn't bother me at all. Even if you buy a Titan on day one, then there will be someone that has 2 or 3 in SLI. And there is also somebody that has an extreme 1000$ CPU, an SSD raid, 3 monitors ... and so on.

Think I will upgrade my PS4 when I see signs that it might break and if there is a great deal. The current model doesn't feel obsolete to me, just because there are better ones.

Yeah the PS4 is not obsolete and you can give it away when you upgrade creating a new customer instead of collecting dust like our PS3. Guys remember you can skip PS4K and upgrade to PS4-8K instead.

dEvAnGeL

Great post OP, the people that are saying "this is my last Sony console" nonesense, I'd love to see their reaction when MS announces their xbox 1.5, becaue you know it's happening, so where are you gonna go now? PC? If you get mad over a console refresh every 3 years I don't pc gaming is for you, i got my ps4 at release and I'll be getting the ps4k at release as well

Pokemaniac

The big problem with PS4k is that Sony isn't allowing it to replace the PS4 like they should be. Forcing everything to be compatible with the base system is only holding the PS4k back in a misguided attempt to keep the PS4 relevant for longer. Sony is trying to move to the iterative model without really fully accepting the consequences of doing so.

Pingoreous

I feel this is a very important point. Sony want to desensitise the console-buying public to the idea of buying iterative versions of whatever tech they're pushing. Sort of like how video card makers desensitized the buyers to the idea of obsolescence: "Buy now or later, it's irrelevant. There will always be something stronger, or something weaker than what you have".

Yeah i also don't understand the whole "but i don't wanna be locked to an ecosystem." When you choose a console you are choosing an ecosystem. You chosen an ecosystem from the first console you bought.

The big problem with PS4k is that Sony isn't allowing it to replace the PS4 like they should be. Forcing everything to be compatible with the base system is only holding the PS4k back in a misguided attempt to keep the PS4 relevant for longer. Sony is trying to move to the iterative model without really fully accepting the consequences of doing so.

The PS4 isnt holding back the PS4k, they have almost the same specs. This is a very, very, very minor upgrade.

eFKac

And all that is a good thing for customers.

Brand loyalty is an inherently bad thing for everyone except for the owner of the brand.

Exactly, less and less reason to keep uping the quality and innovating as consumers will get more and more invested in the "ecosystem" even if they aren't happy with the new iteration.

Now is time to jump ship from Playstation.

on pc games don't stop working on a hd7850 just because polaris releases.

If they're going to have a new system every 3 years they need to retain at least one upgrade cycle worth of forward compatibility, anything else would just royally screw over consumers.

If you're going to have 3 year console cycles that cut off compatibility every 3 years that would just be ridiculous:p

Im fully on board with PS4k, but im very of dubious of anyone telling something "is the future" or "is necessary" especially in regards to gaming.

I consider PS4k to be an added option, not the saviour of the industry and I feel anyone painting it as such is being slightly disingenous.

Im fully aware it is of more benefit to publishers and platform holders than it is to me as a consumer.

After all, how much harder is it for people to jump between game as a service platforms or console ecosystem if you know they will be getting continous support? With no great reset every generation, people are far more likely to stick with the platform they have already invested heavily.

On one level im ok with this. I already find it hard to buy third party games on Xbox, just because so much of my hardware and software is playstation, shared between 3 platforms, soon to be 4.

But that does not mean im going to give sony a free pass and contiously dip in my pocket for new hardware. If PS4k comes out and ultimately offers me no advantage as a consumer, im still fine with dropping the whole thing entirely.

Im coming at this from the angle that I had every intention of upgrading to a slim PS4 this hoilday, so fresh updated hardware for about the same price is a bonus. I think its way too early to say that this is the future of the industry. Its an experiement and it deserves to fail if it does not provide the same level of benefits to consumers as the traditional model previously did. I will never advocate for less consumer freedom or choice.

Pokemaniac

Yes x86 architecture is the reason why they can make a BC ps5 quite easily, because the ps4 is x86 and the ps5 will for sure be too.

The ps4k is not a factor in that:p that was my point

x86 doesn't mean instant BC. Keeping a similar CPU is only one piece to the puzzle, especially now that consoles have actual Operating Systems.

Top Bottom