• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The current job market.

Mr1999

Gold Member
Its a madhouse at the moment, but I think I have landed a really well paying job. I just got off the phone with the recruiter and they extended the offer. I just need to pass a drug and background check and they can then start discussing start date and onboarding. Let me just say, the current job market is chaotic, you have 20 or more applicants applying for the same position. I had my on site interview last Monday, everything went well, got an update from the recruiter last Thursday saying to basically wait till next week for an answer, which should have been Wednesday, which uis tomorrow. I sent an email today saying "Whatever happens, thanks for giving me the chance", got a call 30 minutes later saying that the hiring manager wanted to extend the offer, so it seems emailing them back never hurts. Told me I should be getting two emails soon, with the offer that I needed to sign, and then I have to go in for a drug test/background check which I have been clean and then I have the position.

Its nice, 4 days week, 10 hours a day, from 5 to 2 job, with $5000 worth of stocks once I sign it. It's not crazy money, but enough to to enjoy life and have some money to save. I will be my own boss in my own department, good benefits, large corporation, the #1 company in its category. I come from a aerospace background so all the stuff they have is easy for me, and I get Fridays off depending on work. Took me 3 months to find this job, being in a new state, jobs out here are very sparse, but I think I finally got it. Didn't want to make this thread until I had the offer in my hand, but it should be coming soon. I have so many bills and stuff I want to buy, was literally on my last dime and selling off my toys not to touch my savings, but looks like its finally happening. Just gotta say, don't give up. It all falls on this background check now.

Last edited:
Congrats! That's got to be a weight off your shoulders. Hope the job goes well.

As for the background check, I think you would already know if that were going to be an issue or not, so I'd try not to sweat it too much.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got a new job last year, after working at the same employer for a very very long time. I thought I bombed the final interview and was really surprised when I got the offer. I also needed to do a drug test and background check but for me it's a formality (I'm a good boy). My field is quite small and specialized and as such insulated from a lot of the craziness in the general job market. I sympathize with people who have to deal with it because the economy is not nearly as good as the media and government are saying.

Last edited:

Mr1999

Gold Member
Congrats! That's got to be a weight off your shoulders. Hope the job goes well.

As for the background check, I think you would already know if that were going to be an issue or not, so I'd try not to sweat it too much.

Yep, never been arrested for anything, and yes a huge weight off my shoulders.
What drugs are they going to make you take to pass the test.
Im assuming 5 panel, which includes amphetamines, phencyclidine, cocaine, opiates, and marijuana

Last edited:
Its a madhouse at the moment, but I think I have landed a really well paying job. I just got off the phone with the recruiter and they extended the offer. I just need to pass a drug and background check and they can then start discussing start date and onboarding. Let me just say, the current job market is chaotic, you have 20 or more applicants applying for the same position. I had my on site interview last Monday, everything went well, got an update from the recruiter last Thursday saying to basically wait till next week for an answer, which should have been Wednesday, which uis tomorrow. I sent an email today saying "Whatever happens, thanks for giving me the chance", got a call 30 minutes later saying that the hiring manager wanted to extend the offer, so it seems emailing them back never hurts. Told me I should be getting two emails soon, with the offer that I needed to sign, and then I have to go in for a drug test/background check which I have been clean and then I have the position.

Its nice, 4 days week, 10 hours a day, from 5 to 2 job, with $5000 worth of stocks once I sign it. It's not crazy money, but enough to to enjoy life and have some money to save. I will be my own boss in my own department, good benefits, large corporation, the #1 company in its category. I come from an aerospace background so all the stuff they have is easy for me, and I get Fridays off depending on work. Took me 3 months to find this job, being in a new state, jobs out here are very sparse, but I think I finally got it. Didn't want to make this thread until I had the offer in my hand, but it should be coming soon. I have so many bills and stuff I want to buy, was literally on my last dime and selling off my toys not to touch my savings, but looks like its finally happening. Just gotta say, don't give up. It all falls on this background check now.
Congrats on the new gig! Yea, it’s wild out here. I left my last job for a new position which unfortunately lost funding right before I started (social work, non profit sector). It took me three + months with a bachelors degree, 10+ years in the field, and several sought after state certifications as well.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Congrats, OP! Glad you're landing on your feet and going to be able to have a sense of security again.

It is crazy out there. My company had let go about 40 office people two months ago. I was in a team of 8 that is now 6. 25% of a team lost sucks.

Mr1999

Gold Member
I sense your stress and enthusiasm.
You need to relax and forgive yourself 😆
I'm used to being hired on the spot but they do things a lot differently here in this state, not California, they take their time and make sure they have the right person. Still waiting for the offer, I'm assuming tomorrow which I'm okay with, the ad was removed so I'm assuming its moving along now.

EDIT: Wow, thanks for the Gold @ John Marston

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I'm used to being hired on the spot but they do things a lot differently here in this state
I feel you.

I remember in my early 20's job searching and getting declined because I was "overqualified".

I finally showed up at an interview being really sarcastic and got the job.

Life is funny sometimes 😁

Mr1999

Gold Member

John Marston John Marston

I feel you.

I remember in my early 20's job searching and getting declined because I was "overqualified".

I finally showed up at an interview being really sarcastic and got the job.

Life is funny sometimes 😁

Yea I was completely overqualified for this position, the tests they gave me were extremely easy. Basically, what are the tolerances for this print? How would you measure this, do you know QMS, 5 whys, DMAIC? What does this box mean? I easily passed their tests, the quality manager wanted me onboard, he said the sooner the better since it was light and that they could start training me at such a perfect time, but the end decision fell on the hiring manager, they are the ones who make the final decision. Being overqualified for a position makes you a liability since you are a flight risk, but in this juncture of my life I just wanted a job I could grow into, and I think they saw that. I was working with plus or minus .0002 and this job is more of form fit and function, plus or minus .020 which I can do standing on my head, but its more than just that, its paperwork and their system I need to learn which I should not have trouble with. Hopefully I see the offer tomorrow in my email since im ready. Thanks again for the gold.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Its nice, 4 days week, 10 hours a day, from 5 to 2 job, with $5000 worth of stocks once I sign it. It's not crazy money, but enough to to enjoy life and have some money to save. I will be my own boss in my own department, good benefits, large corporation, the #1 company in its category. I come from a aerospace background so all the stuff they have is easy for me, and I get Fridays off depending on work. Took me 3 months to find this job, being in a new state, jobs out here are very sparse, but I think I finally got it. Didn't want to make this thread until I had the offer in my hand, but it should be coming soon. I have so many bills and stuff I want to buy, was literally on my last dime and selling off my toys not to touch my savings, but looks like its finally happening. Just gotta say, don't give up. It all falls on this background check now.

You got this! That BG check gonna come back clean! Congratulations!

I'm going on 9 months of job hunting... It's hard and I'm blessed I have family and friends who extended a place for me to stay while I'm trying to figure out my next step. Here in Atlanta, the job market seems chaotic (it is) and certain jobs I can't physically do (I have very bad back issues... I'm 49) so I'm trying hard to get certain jobs where I don't have to stand all day like at my old one (factory warehouse job). It'll come! I have to be positive even though it's harder and harder to come by good thoughts on the subject.

A piece of good news tho... I got a temp insurance license and I'm going a bit further on my book (my life with Tourette and deafness and all the things those entail).

Let's stay positive, fellas!

Dr_Salt

20 applicants? More like 100 applicants and all on the same day :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Congrats. It does seem crazy out there.

I got laid off at the end of March. Had a decent severance package coming. Made a last ditch attempt to stay on and applied to a position on an old team, internally. Just got the good news today, but it was the hardest month I've had in a while, and I'm grateful I managed to avoid a long, drawn out job hunt. I needed the win for myself and my family.

Top Bottom