• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Err, actually, CAN I import games with my JP PSN account and switch over to my US PSN account and continue playing it from there? Like with the Gravity Rush demo?

I don't know if it's compatible, but I'm pretty sure you can't play games on another account than the one it was bought on. I couldn't play the free US motorstorm RC on my EU account anyway...

Yeah, that's a no. Purchased games are locked/tied to the account they were purchased under. Demos are the exception.

Ok I'm looking for an RPG but under 10 bucks so I'm limited to:

Half min hero
Riviera the promised land
Wild Arms XF
Yggdra Union
Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos
Dragoneer's Aria
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance

Only ones I know anything about are Half Min Hero and Wild Arms. Any suggestions? I generally like any kind of RPG as long as it has a decent story and a fast/fun battle system.

Edgeward

Out of all of those I would recommend Half Min Hero. The stories are very tongue in cheek and the systems in place are very unique and fun.

Riviera also had a really cool battle system and lots of branching paths in dungeons and you play as a guy whose party members are all chicks. Anime hilarity ensues.

Lain

Half min hero
Wild Arms XF
Yggdra Union
Dragoneer's Aria

Only ones I know anything about are Half Min Hero and Wild Arms. Any suggestions? I generally like any kind of RPG as long as it has a decent story and a fast/fun battle system.

I'd suggest Yggdra Union, because I really like it, it's nice looking and it's challenging.
Stay away from Dragoneer's Aria. I made the mistake of buying when it was on sale, I still regret it.
Mana Khemia isn't completely bad gameplay wise, but it looks bad (and on PSP it had awful loading, though maybe that's better on Vita).

GopherD

Half min hero
Wild Arms XF
Yggdra Union
Dragoneer's Aria

Wild Arms or HMH are the best choices in that bunch.

Half min hero
Wild Arms XF
Yggdra Union
Dragoneer's Aria

I've only played Wild Arms and Half Minute Hero of that list, but I can definitely recommend the latter. I sincerely doubt you can find a faster battle system than HMH's.

I wish I knew Corpse Party had a nice little feature of locking you in a bad ending and forcing you to restart the entire chapter. The sadness of losing two hours.

Bought a 50$ PSN card, dunno what to buy. I've repurchased Ys: Oath In Felghana and Ys Seven and I already had a digital copy of Freedom Unite. I want to buy a digital copy of Ys Chronicles but presently cannot (not on the NA Vita store). So that leaves me with Z.H.P., which is kinda pricey, Persona 3 Portable, 3rd Birthday, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy IV, maybe one of the Cladun games and I dunno what to get.

I liked Mana Khemia on the PS2, but I heard the PSP port wasn't very good.

The biggest problem with MK on the PSP was that the data was hideously unoptimized for a UMD. Load times on a memory stick are tremendously better. PS2 is still the best way to play the game, but on the other hand, Gust and NISA will actually see money if you get it on the PSP/Vita as opposed to buying it used (and used will cost more, too).

Durante

Half min hero
Wild Arms XF
Yggdra Union
Dragoneer's Aria

Half minute hero is only really an RPG in the broadest sense. It's a very fun game though. Mana Khemia was great fun on PS2, and it has a very fast battle system. Wild Arms XF is an SRPG, so it has pretty long-winded battles compared to "normal" RPGs. It's a really good game though.

Lain

Bought a 50$ PSN card, dunno what to buy. I've repurchased Ys: Oath In Felghana and Ys Seven and I already had a digital copy of Freedom Unite. I want to buy a digital copy of Ys Chronicles but presently cannot (not on the NA Vita store). So that leaves me with Z.H.P., which is kinda pricey, Persona 3 Portable, 3rd Birthday, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy IV, maybe one of the Cladun games and I dunno what to get.

My biased suggestion would be to grab both ClaDun games, because they're both good.

semiconscious

Gold Member
just beat the first boss in gurumin: a monstrous adventure, &, considering it's listed in the op as 'untested or not quite working', i thought i should post to say that the version available on us psn ($15) has run flawlessly for me so far. it's a charming, colorful little game, & the closest thing to zelda you'll find for the psp...

Apenheul

I'd suggest Yggdra Union, because I really like it, it's nice looking and it's challenging.

I tried to like Yggdra Union but the 'challenge' turned me off completely. The game was plain cheap at times, having everything planned out just perfectly and then some invincible enemy units spawn during the final two turns or something. It's been a long time but I remember not digging the amount of text (that afaik you couldn't skip) in between missions either, especially after you've read it for the 5th time.

Famassu

So... uhh.. Being kinda mad that Phantasy Star Portable 2 doesn't work on Vita (at least I can't get it to transfer from PS3 to Vita), I send Sega a message asking if they were going to do something about PSP2 not working. This is the response I got:

Hi,

The only thing that I can tell you regarding Phantasy Star is that this is coming to the Playstation Vita. However, another version of Phantasy Star is coming to the Vita. I don't know which specific version is being ported over to the Vita, but I do know that Phantasy Star is coming to the Vita.

Also I do not know any dates as to when it will be coming out so you will have to keep your ears open.

Regards,

Sega Support
So the "another version of Phantasy Star is coming to Vita" line after the bolded part is obviously pointing out to Phantasy Star Online 2 (even though the Support dude doesn't know it... >_>; ). But... umm.. what is this "Phantasy Star is coming to the Vita" thing that isn't PSO2? Are they actually doing something for PSP2 or what?

GorillaJu

GAF, please help me make a decision

I've never played Jeanne D'Arc, or Lunar Silvar Star (I always wanted to, never had a Sega system when I was a kid).

The third choice is Corpse Party. Not a huge fan of anime-style horror, so probably will shy away from this - unless it is truly amazing?

Am I wrong for going Jeanne? They're all cheap enough that I'm not bothered, but I only want to buy one right now.

GorillaJu

It's excellent and undoubtedly completely different from anything you've probably played recently.

Jeanne is an excellent choice too though.

Okay. I'll give it a try sometime. The last Xseed game I played that was completely different blew me away (Half Minute Hero). I bought Jeanne and its exactly what I wanted - a Tactics-style RPG that isn't Tactics (played TO and FFT too many times already) and isn't NIS-hardcore.

I love a good gory anime but I've never been a fan of the "high schoolers in a slaughterhouse" genre, foreign or no. Still, apparently CP is a good enough game to pass up!

Fox1304

There must be something I'm missing with Tactics Ogre. I'm only at the beginnig of the game and am nearly always overpowered in every situation.

I bought some hear, learned some skills, and I'm just following the path indicated by the scenario.

I'm currently at the mission where you have to save a female lancer ( first mission where you fight against a small green dragon ). I've tried the mission three times, and every time I can't even reach to her before she's killed.

Quick question, GAF: I'm just about to order a Vita and one game. Best game for the system? I'm thinking Wipeout, Uncharted, Errybody's Golf or Rayman. I have Rayman already for Xbox but I'm happy to double dip because it's so good.

Aru

There must be something I'm missing with Tactics Ogre. I'm only at the beginnig of the game and am nearly always overpowered in every situation.

I bought some hear, learned some skills, and I'm just following the path indicated by the scenario.

I'm currently at the mission where you have to save a female lancer ( first mission where you fight against a small green dragon ). I've tried the mission three times, and every time I can't even reach to her before she's killed.

You need some luck in this battle. Try again until she stays alive. Stupid guest AI is one of my few complains about this game. Gladly, the more you advance, the less guest you have.

Quick question, GAF: I'm just about to order a Vita and one game. Best game for the system? I'm thinking Wipeout, Uncharted, Errybody's Golf or Rayman. I have Rayman already for Xbox but I'm happy to double dip because it's so good.
I haven't played Uncharted yet, but I'd rank the others:
  1. Everybody's Golf
  2. WipEout 2048
  3. Rayman Origins
Don't forget that there are also some nice smaller games on the PSN Store.

just beat the first boss in gurumin: a monstrous adventure, &, considering it's listed in the op as 'untested or not quite working', i thought i should post to say that the version available on us psn ($15) has run flawlessly for me so far. it's a charming, colorful little game, & the closest thing to zelda you'll find for the psp...

I really like that game but I had to put it on hard because it's a little on the easy side.

I've played my Japanese copy of 3rd Birthday countless times, but when I get a Vita dual analog will make the repurchase well worth it.

Great work on the thread.

Ran rp

Never mind. Was going to say that the OP should be updated since a few of the games have dropped in price in the past weeks. Maybe a mod can do it?

GorillaJu

I can't for the life of me understand why people recommend the 3rd Birthday to anyone. Is it because it's made by Square and the graphics are good? The benign, repetitive game play and hellishly terrible dialog don't bother you guys?

I genuinely hated the game - and I'm not an outsider to Square's style, nor a hater of their style or recent games (loved FF12, 13, 13-2), but the 3rd birthday was just a terrible waste of my hard-earned money.

Aru

I can understand that some people hate the story. I found it intriguing and refreshing. Not the kind of storytelling you see every day in this kind of game.
The gameplay is really fun. Sure it's repetitive, but the difficulty is there so it's challenging and never boring.
Graphics and music are great too.

This is the first time I play a game starring Aya Brea though. Maybe my opinion would be different if I played the previous games.

GorillaJu

I can understand that some people hate the story. I found it intriguing and refreshing. Not the kind of storytelling you see every day in this kind of game.
The gameplay is really fun. Sure it's repetitive, but the difficulty is there so it's challenging and never boring.
Graphics and music are great too.

This is the first time I play a game starring Aya Brea though. Maybe my opinion would be different if I played the previous games.

I didn't find the same enjoyment, but I can't begrudge people who do. It just shocked me how little it engaged me because I'm generally easy to please when it comes to Square.

hmmm is it just me, or does ys 7 look TERRIBLE on vita? Never played it on psp, so it might just look terrible to begin with...

And now with widescreen patch, Ys Oath in Felghana PC is superior (and same price, and can probably max out on any rig in the past 10 years).

I am enjoying Ys 7 though, even though you look incredibly silly swinging your weapons around like a maniac.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
hmmm is it just me, or does ys 7 look TERRIBLE on vita? Never played it on psp, so it might just look terrible to begin with...

And now with widescreen patch, Ys Oath in Felghana PC is superior (and same price, and can probably max out on any rig in the past 10 years).

I am enjoying Ys 7 though, even though you look incredibly silly swinging your weapons around like a maniac.

I didn't think it looked great on PSP, but it wasn't offensive either.

And while I personally agree Oath is better on PC, it's still debatable since the PSP version has some extra content, NG+, and whatever else.

Ys7 looks fine on my Vita, just as it looked fine on my PSP. I'm not sure why you think it looks TERRIBLE.

Well it being my first 3d psp game on vita and everyone jizzing about how psp games are gorgeous on vita led to some unreasonable expectations :)

It's not really terrible, but more... It looks like a psp ass psp game.

ReaperXL7

So... uhh.. Being kinda mad that Phantasy Star Portable 2 doesn't work on Vita (at least I can't get it to transfer from PS3 to Vita), I send Sega a message asking if they were going to do something about PSP2 not working. This is the response I got:

So the "another version of Phantasy Star is coming to Vita" line after the bolded part is obviously pointing out to Phantasy Star Online 2 (even though the Support dude doesn't know it... >_>; ). But... umm.. what is this "Phantasy Star is coming to the Vita" thing that isn't PSO2? Are they actually doing something for PSP2 or what?

Interesting that they would say something like that in an E-mail responce, I love phantasy star though so bring it on! Hopefully we hear about it soon....

On another note, Gaf I need some advice. I'd like to pick up a new RPG from the PSP library, but i'm stumped between two games. Watching videos i'm really interested in either picking up Cladun, or Crimson Gem Saga, they both look good to me, but I'd like some opinions from Gaffers who have played them.

I like the 8bit top down style of Cladun, and i'm assuming it's an open world dungeon crawler? Opinions?

Crimson Gem Saga looks to be more of an SNES style JRPG with a decent combat system and some nice visuals. Hows the story, I'd like some opinions on this one aswell if possible.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Lain

ClaDun is awesome and I'll never get tired to recommend it to anyone. It's a dungeon crawler with a fun story and the usual amount of customization you'd expect in a NIS game. It also has really good music that you can enjoy in regular or 8bit format.
You're on an island and by completing the main dungeons you unlock the next ones as well as progressing the story, which is wacky and fun.

Someone else will have to talk about Crimson Gem Saga, because I haven't played it yet.

Top Bottom