• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

Dyno

If this is the new Skyrim thread then I have a Skyrim question.

I want to get the house in Solitude asap. I'm 10th level, joined the Imperials, and done a quest or two for the civilized Nords in the Blue Palace. They've offered me the place.

I have almost no gold.

So what would be the quickest way for my character to score up lots of gold without cheating? Where the bags of money at?

GhaleonEB

I want to get the house in Solitude asap. I'm 10th level, joined the Imperials, and done a quest or two for the civilized Nords in the Blue Palace. They've offered me the place.

I have almost no gold.

So what would be the quickest way for my character to score up lots of gold without cheating? Where the bags of money at?

Personally, I hoof it outside and head to some caves or Nordic ruins. Mine all the ore you find, gather up some pelts, clear a cave or two. You'll get a few thousand gold for each dungeon, if they are decent sized. And then smith some weapons and armor from the resources you've gathered up, enchant them, and sell them as well.

If you want a really fast method: brew lots of potions via Alchemy, and sell them in the alchemy and general goods shops. If you've been snagging ingredients along your travels you can be up a few thousand gold worth of potions in short order.

Demon Ice

Banned
In general, do DLC packs like Dawnguard and Dragonborn tend to be compatible with most mods? At the very least, graphical mods? Or should I disable pretty much everything just to be safe

cdyhybrid

In general, do DLC packs like Dawnguard and Dragonborn tend to be compatible with most mods? At the very least, graphical mods? Or should I disable pretty much everything just to be safe

Define graphical. If you're talking about textures, maybe not, depending on if they recycle textures from vanilla. If it's ENB or something I don't see why not.

As for other mods, you'll have to read their descriptions to find out. A lot of mods have different versions depending on if you have DLC or not.

I have almost no gold.

Woodcutting. Lots and lots of woodcutting.

I have almost no gold.

Go to Markath steal all the Dwarven stuff in the museum and make Dwarven daggers. Congratulations you now have maxed out your smithing and have way more money then you know what to do with.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Is Dawnguard worth the money?

Depends. If you're on PC, just wait for the steam winter sale. It should go on sale with the rest of the Bethesda games and Hearthfire will be cheap as well, so you could probably pick up all three for the price of two.

If you're on Xbox, then yes. It provides much needed new content to a system that doesn't really accept mods, and it's quite the adventure. I'm not sure if it's 20$ of GOOD content, but I at the least got my money's worth, so I'm not complaining.

If you're on PS3, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

Morrowind and Spears, oh my.

1772373_o.gif

CAN'T WAIT!

Mxrz

I thought the MS deal was only for the first two DLCs, but the PC release is delayed on this one too? Grrr. At this point, thinking of just ignoring all of it until the eventual goty edition.

Did somebody say Morrowind? I think I'll get back to playing Skyrim, although it didn't really impress me as nearly as previous games.

Biggzy

I thought the MS deal was only for the first two DLCs, but the PC release is delayed on this one too? Grrr. At this point, thinking of just ignoring all of it until the eventual goty edition.

Hearthfire clearly wasn't planned.

Picked up Dawnguard during the recent Steam sale and I am looking forward to getting this one as well. Time to start playing some more Skyrim.

Slermy

I have almost no gold.

Personally, I hoof it outside and head to some caves or Nordic ruins. Mine all the ore you find, gather up some pelts, clear a cave or two. You'll get a few thousand gold for each dungeon, if they are decent sized. And then smith some weapons and armor from the resources you've gathered up, enchant them, and sell them as well.

If you want a really fast method: brew lots of potions via Alchemy, and sell them in the alchemy and general goods shops. If you've been snagging ingredients along your travels you can be up a few thousand gold worth of potions in short order.

If you have Hearthfire, find some Salmon Roe and make potions with that, pretty valuable stuff.

GhaleonEB

The guy's apparently over 30 hours in and hasn't even finished the main story yet, that's a good sign.

I clicked on the link just long enough to see the size of the land mass and think, yes.

A quick scroll past the lists told me there's a healthy bucket of new content in the mix as well. Cannot. Wait. For Tuesday.

I spent a few hours earlier this week exploring and looting the northern coast of Skyrim with my current character. Something about coast lines are just great for exploration. I think the first thing I do in Dragonborn is run a lap around the coast of the island. Should take up the entire first evening, going by the size of it.

Will spears just be added to a pre-existing perk tree, one-handed or two-handed? Wonder if any spear-specific perks will appear.

Don't want to alarm you, but someone who played the DLC stated spears might only be usable by rieklings. Players can only use their spears as arrows.

Not sure if it's true, but disappointing if so.

Mad_Ban

EDIT: AH. I noticed they're posted in the link above.

Something amazing I spotted in the images...

SILT STRIDERS ARE BACK!!!

Lakitu

st5fu
Those details got me hyped.

I liked this part:

And you get a chance to join house Telvanni and get a home in a giant mushroom.

AEREC

Got 2 questions about hearthfire:

1. Can you get rid of a wing and rebuild one into a different type?

2. Can you own multiple hearthfire homes (3 in total).

GhaleonEB

Got 2 questions about hearthfire:

1. Can you get rid of a wing and rebuild one into a different type?

2. Can you own multiple hearthfire homes (3 in total).

1) No - choose carefully.

2) Yes - there are achievements for it as well (on 360 at least).

Each building has three wings, and each wing has three options. So by building all three houses you have houses that span all the options.

AEREC

Each building has three wings, and each wing has three options. So by building all three houses you have houses that span all the options.

Thanks.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Depends. If you're on PC, just wait for the steam winter sale. It should go on sale with the rest of the Bethesda games and Hearthfire will be cheap as well, so you could probably pick up all three for the price of two.

If you're on Xbox, then yes. It provides much needed new content to a system that doesn't really accept mods, and it's quite the adventure. I'm not sure if it's 20$ of GOOD content, but I at the least got my money's worth, so I'm not complaining.

If you're on PS3, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

Cheers. I'm on Xbox. I think I'll give it a look this weekend leading up to Dragonborn.

thefil

I have to finish Dawnguard before this comes out on PC! Only problem is, even after it comes out my SkyRe character will not be compatible. :(

Installing Skyrim on my new 360 now. Bought points enough for Dawnguard and Hearthfire, and eagerly awaiting Dragonborn! As a PS3-only owner until recently, this has been a long time coming.

Excited!

Mike M

Nick N
I finally got around to starting the base game recently. I'm on level 33 and haven't advanced the plot much at all (Need to go meet the graybeards). Just busy discovering every location and clearing out the dungeons as I come across them. I'm not really doing quests even... I expect by the time I get around to actually paying attention to the quests, I'll have everything wrapped up in short order from fast traveling to a bunch of cleared dungeons to do whatever it is I need to do.

Coverly

Is there a way to properly screw or kill (without penalty) Maven Black-Briar from Riften?

I'm on my third play through and I've never liked her, so I'm looking around to see if there is a quest or a set order of items to do in order to cast her out/ put her in jail/ or just plain kill her.

Don't want to alarm you, but someone who played the DLC stated spears might only be usable by rieklings. Players can only use their spears as arrows.

that sounds very placeholdery, that they just straight transform into arrows. They had spears done at Gamejam, it would be incredibly odd for them to be left out of the DLC, especially given their doneness and their popularity.

GhaleonEB

that sounds very placeholdery, that they just straight transform into arrows. They had spears done at Gamejam, it would be incredibly odd for them to be left out of the DLC, especially given their doneness and their popularity.

It would be pretty cool if they were flexible, and could be loaded as (super powerful, expensive) arrows and also used as a regular spear. Make the spear-arrows heavy and carry a lot of mass, so they can knock down or spear people to walls.

Probably too awesome for Bethesda to implement, but a boy can dream.

These are massive though, a lot bigger than the Fallout DLC. The Skyrim DLC is more akin to full expansion packs.

Dawnguard was great, but I'd hardly call it an expansion pack level of content. It was heavier than a Fallout DLC, but at the same time it kind of lacked in other areas (re-using dungeons and items from the base game). I know Morrowind only had those two types of crossbows also, but more (especially a Dragonbone or Daedric) crossbow types would have been nice. Also found it kind of weird the rest of the DLC sits so well in the world of Skyrim, but the entire crossbow system lies entirely in Dawnguard's areas. You can only buy them and forge anything crossbow related at specific Dawnguard areas, rather than adding them gradually to the world's shops.

It would be pretty cool if they were flexible, and could be loaded as (super powerful, expensive) arrows and also used as a regular spear. Make the spear-arrows heavy and carry a lot of mass, so they can knock down or spear people to walls.

Maybe load spears into a crossbow lol

Slermy

Man, I just wanna export my PS3 save and put it onto my PC version.

With the popularity of Skyrim, I would have thought someone would have figured out how to do that by now.

Dawnguard was great, but I'd hardly call it an expansion pack level of content. It was heavier than a Fallout DLC, but at the same time it kind of lacked in other areas (re-using dungeons and items from the base game). I know Morrowind only had those two types of crossbows also, but more (especially a Dragonbone or Daedric) crossbow types would have been nice. Also found it kind of weird the rest of the DLC sits so well in the world of Skyrim, but the entire crossbow system lies entirely in Dawnguard's areas. You can only buy them and forge anything crossbow related at specific Dawnguard areas, rather than adding them gradually to the world's shops.

Maybe load spears into a crossbow lol

Not entirely true. Dwarven Spheres drop crossbow bolts once Dawnguard is loaded. I too would have preferred a more ubiquitous implementation though.

That seems like a really strange choice since the spears at least in the trailer are as big as the player race.

It would also defeat the whole purpose of crossbows.

Volimar

I really wish I could demolish my bedroom add on. For some reason I thought that the armory was lame, and didn't choose it for my main house.

Between this FC3 and the new maps in BF3 it should be enough to keep me busy until Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite release.

I can't wait to fly dragons!!

Top Bottom