• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The EU did not Publish a 300-Page Study that couldn't Find Proof Piracy Harms Sales

bionic77

Uh. Music sales are waaaaaaaaaay down since Napster came out.

I want to say they are like half now what they were in the late 90s in terms of record sales.

Can't speak for movies.

Sulik2

I want to say they are like half now what they were in the late 90s in terms of record sales.

Can't speak for movies.

This is not an accurate comparison to make. Legal streaming music services have completely replaced buying individual records or songs for the majority of people now. The better comparison is how when steam started doing day and date releases in Russia piracy plummeted and sales went up. Piracy is a sign of a failure of providing a product properly for sale in most cases.

Joni

This is not an accurate comparison to make. Legal streaming music services have completely replaced buying individual records or songs for the majority of people now. The better comparison is how when steam started doing day and date releases in Russia piracy plummeted and sales went up. Piracy is a sign of a failure of providing a product properly for sale in most cases.

Question is, is streaming a good enough solution or is just bargain-binning prices for music eliminating the industry and hurting the makers?

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Can't speak for movies.

That's because the music industry was built like a house of cards and the dawn of the information age where people could share their thoughts on an album or artist was the cool summer breeze that knocked the whole thing rightfully down.

Top Bottom