• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first video game I ever played: Ninja Mission on Atari ST. What was yours?

RedC

Probably Pac-Man in the arcades

I can't remember since I was in the arcades all the time as a kid in the 80's.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Terminator-2-Arcade-Game.jpg
That one was fun!

It was definitely something on Atari 2600… could have been Combat, Indiana Jones, or E.T.

And yes, I’m serious. We had E.T.

It wasn’t until Super Mario Bros. on the NES that I fell in love with video games though.
ET was so bad. I try to explain to people who never played it, but words can’t express how bad 😂

kunonabi

It's either Super Mario Bros.or Frogger. I have faint memories of my mother playing Frogger on an Atari at home but otherwise it would be Super Mario Bros. since it came with my NES.

SirTerry-T

It was definitely something on Atari 2600… could have been Combat, Indiana Jones, or E.T.

And yes, I’m serious. We had E.T.

It wasn’t until Super Mario Bros. on the NES that I fell in love with video games though.
There were far, far worse games on the 2600, ET gets way too much shit.

Either one of those cheap 70's lcd handheld games or some version of Pong. Played a lot of Atari at my cousin's house. It wasn't until I was older that I bought a used NES from a classmate that really ignited my love for gaming.

SirTerry-T

Probably some Pong clone you could play on a TV, then a few Atari VCS arcade conversions like Space Invaders. I got an Atari 800XL a couple of years later, and that's by far the most memorable. Games like Encounter and Dropzone were pretty amazing in the early '80s. It was a shame Atari shit the bed, the 8 bit line was miles ahead of the competition when it released in late '78, and the designer- Jay Miner- later went on to design the Amiga which Atari (under new ownership) let go to Commodore and produced the cheaper and far inferior ST line instead.

Archer Mclean (RIP) really knew how to make those Atari 8-bits sing...

rogr rogr

First one I saw someone playing was probably Frost Bite on ATARI 2600.

First one I played, on my own "ATARI 2600" (a clone), was one of these four that came with the console:

images

"Sky" means "skiing" :messenger_grinning_sweat:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
First one I have memory of playing is Zelda ALTTP, but being the youngest of 3 brothers, I bet they let me play something else before that and I don't remember.

Havoc2049

The home version of the arcade game Stunt Cycle.
stuntcycle1.png

OP, my first Atari ST game I played was Hostages/Operation Jupiter. I bought it the same day I bought my 1040STF. I live in the States, so it was the North American version, called Hostage:Rescue Mission.
17228-Hostages.jpg

Lux R7

there was a dos game in which you were a pixel in a reticle of rectangles and you would run away from another pixel. No idea what the name of the game was.
The second game was probably Alley Cat.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I accidentally stumbled upon a gameplay video when YouTube'ing the other day and I remember this is the first video game I ever played. My family had an Atari system and I used to play this game. I watched a gameplay video and the music immediately brought me back. I think I first played it when I was about 5 years old or so.

Curious what everyone's first ever video game they played was and if anyone here played this Ninja Mission game.

I had this game on the Commodore 64. The graphics were not as good and I don't think it had music but I can't remember. But I remember you had to push up to go through those holes in the ceiling. I always thought that was kind of funny.

I think on the Commodore 64 it was just called Ninja. It didn't have the word Mission in it but it was made by Mastertronic as well.

I had this game on the Commodore 64. The graphics were not as good and I don't think it had music but I can't remember. But I remember you had to push up to go through those holes in the ceiling. I always thought that was kind of funny.

I think on the Commodore 64 it was just called Ninja. It didn't have the word Mission in it but it was made by Mastertronic as well.

It was, yes. Same on the Atari 8 bit line, not sure if it was released on the Spectrum as well.

Mobilemofo

The Wild Bunch on the commodore 64. You could travel into a town, do some gambling, hunt for wanted folk (man with one eyebrow for example), cross a dessert, you'd get mugged, or your horse would go lame, adding three days to your journey to dodge. 😅 Shit was so addictive.

Poordevil

Turok on the N64. My nephew brought his N64 to a family gathering and he had Turok with him. Watched him play and had never seen anything like it before. One evening when he was away from the console I picked it up and gave it a try. I did not know anything about gaming. Never held a controller before in my life. I can move my guy! This other guy is coming at me...he is gonna shoot me! Pow! pow! pow! I fired away and got him first.
When I got home I bought myself an N64 and Turok. I remember the first time I discovered backtracking. I just assumed the game was like a movie, you just moved forward all the time. By chance I happened to turn around and began backtracking. Huh!? How far back can I go? Then I found a box of ammo I had overlooked. Walked over to it... and picked it up! I couldn't believe it. How is this even possible? How can this machine keep track of all this? It blew me away, it really did.

Chronos24

I wish I could remember the names of the games, but I remember two games on the Intellivision that I played. One had a spider and the other sharks but that's all I remember

ReBurn

Gold Member
My uncle had a Magnavox Odyssey that he got with a TV and those pong clones were the first games I played. Then another uncle got an Atari VCS when it released and I would play all night when I stayed over on weekends.

Yonyx

Banned
This was the first game I tried at a friend's house: Express Raider. I remember we would spend a lot of time in front of the TV waiting for the videocassettes to load on the Spectrum.

Last edited:
Memories are kinda hazy, but I remember I was first introduced to video games in the late 80's. Elevator Action, Spy Hunter, and Commando were my favorites at the arcade. I also have some faint memories of playing a vs tank game on the Atari 2600 where the tanks spin around when they get hit (Combat?).

Buggy Loop

Hazy which one from my brother's Atari was the first, but I can only think of Dig Dug at the moment

dig-dug-atari-2600-v0-818onx3exmcc1.jpg

Also my mother said many times that she was addicted to this game in those times so probably my first experience too.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Somethign like Night Driver in the arcade, or similar named game. Can't remember it clearly but I remember the game, it was a monochrome driving game. First game I played at home was probably something on my Texas Instruments 99/4A, I seem to remember a game where you were a cowboy shooting bolts at 3 legged spiders

hahaha I found it ... SLYMOIDS

Last edited:
Top Bottom