• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Furred Reich: The truth about Nazi furries and the alt-right

Status
Not open for further replies.
it still has that fursuit look of being really chunky because you cant create the skinny anatomy of digitigrade legs etc on a human frame. A bears probably the most convincing thing someone could pull off.

IMGF

Neo Member
I think this might be where being deep in a fandom gives your perspective on art a cargo cult feel.

Cartoonists and artists in general could take something as simple as a black cat and it would absolutely come out differently almost every time, except for the artists who work in a style that's an obvious homage to someone else. The broad strokes like "black dog, neon green paint on the ears" are almost irrelevant in this context.
Right, but an individual in the fandom commissions multiple artists who will draw their character in a multitude of styles. You'll never get different art from different artists that will all completely look the same if your character is as basic as just a black cat with white socks or something.

When you have multiple pieces of art where your character is interpreted in a multitude of styles by different artists, the only real way to differentiate your character from other characters is unique markings or outlandish colors.

Nepenthe

I respect lots of the fursuits users .... cosplaying as a regular human is already hot (in the temperature sense) as fuck, fursuits must melt/cook the people inside. But then again, tropical country here =P
I wonder if fursuit users increase as you go north .... must be really easy to wear a fursuit at canada or sweden xD

Temperatures inside our heads alone have been easily measured north of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. We definitely cook. xD

And that's an interesting thought. Granted, our two largest conventions are situated in the North and Midwest.

The_Kid

Right, but an individual in the fandom commissions multiple artists who will draw their character in a multitude of styles. You'll never get different art from different artists that will all completely look the same if your character is as basic as just a black cat with white socks or something.

When you have multiple pieces of art where your character is interpreted in a multitude of styles by different artists, the only real way to differentiate your character from other characters is unique markings or outlandish colors.

This too really. And that artists in the fandom typically stick with one specific "style" most of the time as their thing (which is great to draw in commissioners). But when you get a character with similar markings its hard not to have them turn out somewhat similar.

And then you have people who add stuff on for the sake of it, wings, horns, dark backstory or some silly crap.

Platy

A question ... all the fursuits posted here look male to me .. are they not big on sexual dimorphism or are furries mostly men ?

it still has that fursuit look of being really chunky because you cant create the skinny anatomy of digitigrade legs etc on a human frame. A bears probably the most convincing thing someone could pull off.

the legs can be worked with stilts ... lots of movie uses

VYIdevx.jpg

even if some prefer .... a more simple approach =P

IzweOG2.jpg

the legs can be worked with stilts ... lots of movie uses

A question ... all the fursuits posted here look male to me .. are they not big on sexual dimorphism or are furries mostly men ?

well yeah but thats not something ive ever seen outside of cinema. Afaik the audience is largely men (google saying almost 90% for most cons? thats crazy)

Nepenthe

Most characters are male, and thus I'd wager Furries are overwhelmingly male. Female characters are definitely around, but we're not big on noticeable sexual dimorphism because, well, that usually translates into stereotypical features that would get us busted with "pervert" or "creepy" accusations. At most you'll see colors like pink or purple, hair, and maybe some eyelashes to line the eyes. But mostly it's good enough to just have a generic suit and designate it female, usually because there will be accompanying art, reference sheets (the maker had to know what it looked like somehow), and designations on social media with which to discern gender anyway.

EDIT: Also, who says you can't have subtle digitigrade padding?

It's all about how much padding you use and where. Exaggerated suits are more prominent because those are the more popular-looking styles from respected makers.

Platy

Most characters are male, and thus I'd wager Furries are overwhelmingly male. Female characters are definitely around, but we're not big on noticeable sexual dimorphism because, well, that usually translates into stereotypical features that would get us busted with "pervert" or "creepy" accusations. At most you'll see colors like pink or purple, hair, and maybe some eyelashes to line the eyes. But mostly it's good enough to just have a generic suit and designate it female, usually because there will be accompanying art, reference sheets (the maker had to know what it looked like somehow), and designations on social media with which to discern gender anyway.

Also because non mammals don't have mammary glands

ec3t5Y3.jpg

http://b1nd1.deviantart.com/art/Lizard-Boobs-75409852

edit : I guess the increase of visible representation of women in the furry community would greatly help fight the nazi stuff considering they are mostly male because they are insanely sexist/mra too

wrong disney villain don't you mean

(useless trivia : the girl who did those 2 drawings is now working in the Ducktales reboot)

Wait screw everything else but she made this so she's ok in my book

Perhaps you guys should attempt a general thread. Making an alt-right nazi furry thread into your community thread is probably not a good look.

There is but it's a tab over and it's harrrrrrrd

.JayZii

Banned
Perhaps you guys should attempt a general thread. Making an alt-right nazi furry thread into your community thread is probably not a good look.

Nepenthe

I've been thinking over the past few months of making a thread where normal members are encouraged to interact with Furries by asking questions and getting insight into the fandom. Since this thread tested pretty well even in the most gruesome of originating contexts, I just might do that.

The_Kid

I mean, probably a better look than the furry cringe threads that appear once in awhile. No one would do damage control if they didn't appear.

I've been thinking over the past few months of making a thread where normal members are encouraged to interact with Furries by asking questions and getting insight into the fandom. Since this thread tested pretty well even in the most gruesome of originating contexts, I just might do that.

I'm actually super into this idea, because I'm surprised at the number of people who don't instantly seem taken aback.

brian577

Banned

I think this is a great idea as well.

Cool fursuit info, it's pretty much a subculture within itself. I'm not gonna get into the whole "appeal" thing because I'm not really part of that scene. Although I'd love to have one if they weren't so expensive. :)

For those who are curious, there's quite a few furry graphic novels out there. All are SFW. Descriptions are from the publishers:

The Pride of Baghdad and Beasts of Burden pictures are switched around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom