• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian: "Sexism and abuse isn't only on Twitter: one woman's gaming experience"

Jac_Solar

How did she get into contact with the CEO of such a large game? Why did the CEO spend time on banning her? Why did the Admins release her personal information? They would most likely lose their jobs, so why risk it? They must have had a reason -- like being extremely upset at her for whatever reason.

If true, which I doubt, this person is probably not telling the whole story. Also, again, if true, it's probably a very small MMO or online game, maybe an old, obscure MMO game with a small active userbase.

Stuff like this happens so much it is not even funny. We have (the group I played MMO with during the years) multiple people banned for reporting cheaters and abusers. Eventually the admins/mods of those MMO's just got tired on all the reports and banned them instead of the cheaters / abusers.

Huh? What's the point of banning the reporters? That would be more work than banning the people who do the cheating, since people would just continually report the cheater.

The Cowboy

If true about releasing her real info etc - this is pretty serious.

The thing is, I don't know if I believe this - I mean she complained about how she was being treated and the CEO banned her and then a game operator released her real life info?.

I'm very sceptical on this and this is something that should clearly have proof in the article for such a massive implication.
---
If it is in fact true, then good lord @ the company in question - they should easily be taken to court/shut down.

Chili

Of course The Guardian aren't going to reveal any specifics here. The story is simply from one of the comments from their website. Unless they can verify all the details they aren't going to be able to give any specifics. They have, at least some, journalistic integrity. Besides, if the commenter has been victimised by the company previously I doubt she wants to publicly name them and make matters worse.

Also, if you look at the commenter's profile, this is her 'about me' section:

I am part of the vast international feminazi conspiracy to round up men into tastefully decorated internment campsand force them to listen to us talk about our feelings.

Mael

Really? Alot of people know how to handle it... or just disable communication features for randoms.

No, I'm more or less speaking about the "get death threats/file a complaint/get banned" part.
Why the fuck would I bother surrounding myself in an environment so vile?
It's no wonder the mainstream public see online gaming as some disorder (lone Wow raider who lost his job and wife because he couldn't disconnect).

Story needs more details and an attempt to contact the other party before I can take it seriously, it doesn't sound very far fetched but a real for serious journalist should know that one side of an emotional story is rarely 100% correct

Jackpot

Banned
Wow. Instead of people saying how awful that is to say to someone you have a go at me instead. Congratulate yourself

You saying you know of one friend who encountered abuse online from another woman and using it to dismiss the serious problem of endemic sexist abuse in gaming and the wider world is what's awful.

Story needs more details and an attempt to contact the other party before I can take it seriously, it doesn't sound very far fetched but a real for serious journalist should know that one side of an emotional story is rarely 100% correct

I don't think so. It's not an expose as such, but a commentary based upon anecdotal experiences.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
A lot of stuff in that article needs some facts to be provided. A CEO banning a customer when the customer complained of abuse AND their personal information being posted online for all to see would be big news all over the place.

Well this thread took a turn for the worse.

No way in hell are women as bad as men for this sort of crap. It's juvenile males aged 14-20 who pull this shit. Half the reason I gave up on xbox live; there's only so much inflammatory bigotry and misogynistic crap one can take before you realise it's not worth it.

I bet all of the alleged perpetrators were men.

If there's a solid evidence base for this (and why wouldn't you take screens and copy emails of abuse) then it should be released and the company named and shamed.

Jezbollah

A lot of stuff in that article needs some facts to be provided. A CEO banning a customer when the customer complained of abuse AND their personal information being posted online for all to see would be big news all over the place.

Indeed. Big news, data privacy law(s) broken and a huge lawsuit in the making.

You saying you know of one friend who encountered abuse online from another woman and using it to dismiss the serious problem of endemic sexist abuse in gaming and the wider world is what's awful.

Ha ha that's a massive assumption. I could tell you quite a few stories. I never dismissed anything in the article and I think what happened to this poor woman is awful. If it seemed like I was dismissing the issue then I apologise as that certainly wasn't my intention

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Once again, the insults part is sexist in both ways due to the nature of gender specific insults. These are more obvious with women due to them being a minority in gaming which tends to bring out the rage more and the shit people spew from their mouths.

How players treat other players based on gender is a different thing than how women in the game industry get treated though. Totally different subjects.

The main issue here is the way the GM's acted and the CEO. The important stuff has nothing to do with her being female outside of showing how shit the GM's are at doing their job. It's on par with say a character being named mr.cupcake and that player being harassed with insults and the GMs not doing shit.

DaBuddaDa

The story is about the trouble women have while gaming, not about the specific game. Yeah, the story itself would benefit from details since it adds credibility, but does that really discredit the whole thing? It's hard to prove stuff on the internet, but is that a reason to ignore this completely?

It's a launching point into some potential, serious investigative journalism to determine the veracity of the claims and call out the abusers if there is evidence of harassment. As it is, the article is just regurgitation a random, anonymous poster's unverified story, contributing nothing to the wider discussion.

McDougles

Indeed. Big news, data privacy law(s) broken and a huge lawsuit in the making.

Which is exactly why I wonder it's been put up on The Guardian's "Games Blog" and not on the front page, or on other places. A gaming company banning someone from complaining about people leaving hate and rape messages against her, as well as breaking the Data Protection Act (the law) and releasing her personal information?

That would be grounds for international headline news.

daffy

Banned
No, I'm more or less speaking about the "get death threats/file a complaint/get banned" part.
Why the fuck would I bother surrounding myself in an environment so vile?
It's no wonder the mainstream public see online gaming as some disorder (lone Wow raider who lost his job and wife because he couldn't disconnect).
Never heard of that happening until now... Its sketchy. We all know these type of sensational stories are seldom checked into for accuracy. ceo banned her? Idk...

I don't think so. It's not an expose as such, but a commentary based upon anecdotal experiences.

If it was just a "yeah young boys on XBL are awful" comment id agree but this goes way way beyond that to purport that an entire game, it's players, the community managers, and the goddamn CEO are openly hostile toward female gamers. That kind of assertion needs some more detail.

Mithos

Huh? What's the point of banning the reporters? That would be more work than banning the people who do the cheating, since people would just continually report the cheater.

Beats me, but I guess getting 20 reports/week from you on the same persons over and over again (because they have not been banned for cheating yet) will make some admins/mods get rid of you if they cant confirm your reports.

Jac_Solar

Turns out TheIneffableSwede is a user at TheGuardian

Her bio at TheGuardian:

About me
I am part of the vast international feminazi conspiracy to round up men into tastefully decorated internment campsand force them to listen to us talk about our feelings.

https://id.guardian.co.uk/profile/theineffableswede/public

Some of her other comments

At this point, I'd rather be killed by a terrorist than going on living through this horror show. I visited California last month and a TSA agent groped my breasts in full view of other passengers and made it quite clear that she enjoyed feeling me up and she made sure to squeeze extra hard, too.
Oh, and she asked me my bra size, too. I refused to answer (in fact, I refused to speak to her), which made them pull me aside for even more screening. They turned my bags inside out and one TSA agent screamed (that's the right word for it) at me--again, in full view of other passengers.
That's my last visit to the United States of America. Ever. I don't care if it hurts my academic or professional career, I refuse to visit the USA.
By the way, when the next terrorist attack hits the United States, expect zero sympathy from me. You've earned it.

at http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/04/tsa-nsa-unreasonable-searches

Their wording in the article

A commenter describes the reactions of male players she beat in an MMORPG – and the change when she played as a 'man'

She's commented on a lot of "similar" topics.

Twitter abuse: what can be done to stop trolling?

Labour MP Stella Creasy receives Twitter rape threats.

Yep, indeed, it was apparently a comment on their site. This is her full comment that was mentioned in the OP's article:

TheIneffableSwede commented on Gamer rage: can it be stopped, and should it be?.

I've gotten abuse in online games because I'm a female gamer, but the men get it, too? Wow.

I used to be--emphasise used to be--an avid participant in a certain online game. I was a very good player of this game, but the majority of its players are guys. I'd say the ratio is about 80:20 male:female for this game. The game is MMORPG and has millions of active users from all over the planet.

Whenever I won against my opponents, which I did almost always, some male players would threaten to rape, mutilate, or even kill me (but rape was by far the most frequent threat). I reported these threats to the game operators, whose response was:

1. It's your fault for choosing a username that reflects your gender. You should change your name to something that is gender-neutral.
2. If you are concerned about this, report it to the police (how do you report someone you only know as "VikingKiller0912", especially when that player is in a different country from you???)

In other words, even though these personal threats were against the game rules, the game's staff assumed no responsibility for enforcing the rules, or else blamed me for "provoking" the male players. (One game operator did tell me that I "provoked" the threats by "playing too well" and suggested I deliberately lose more often so as not to bruise male egos. This game operator was, by the way, female.)

Eventually, I complained to the CEO himself of the gaming company and his response was to ban me from the game because he was "tired of hearing about this problem". The players who threatened me with rape, mutilation, and death are still active in the game and some of them have been given jobs as game operators (the referees of the game).

Before I was banned, one of the game operators, an employee of the company, released my real life details (full legal name, physical address, email, telephone number, link to my social media such as Facebook, etc.) to thousands of other players (I had given this information when I registered for the game) and encouraged people to harass me outside the game, which several of them did. I had to change my mobile number, cancel my Facebook, and even considered moving house at one point to escape the harassment.

All of this just to play a simple game online.

Well, could have been worse: I could have been a game designer.

I don't know if it's always been that way in the online gaming community. I don't have any perspective other than my two years of experience in my MMORPG.

Most online gamers don't behave this way. Most online gamers behave themselves. I'm not really interested in "understanding" the people who threaten death, rape, and other real life harm just because of a game that's supposed to be fun. I just want the gaming companies to make these people go away.

[Possibly a repost of the same comment she posted on another article: "Twitter under fire after bank note campaigner is target of rape threats." here: http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/25522644]

Did they just copy-paste this comment from their own comment sections?

The Cowboy

Which is exactly why I wonder it's been put up on The Guardian's "Games Blog" and not on the front page, or on other places. A gaming company banning someone from complaining about people leaving hate and rape messages against her, as well as breaking the Data Protection Act (the law) and releasing her personal information?

That would be grounds for international headline news.

Indeed, this would be all over the place - I mean take it in if true (again IF).

A person complains about harassment and vile messages, the CEO bans her because they're fed up dealing with her AND then a game operator (an employee of the company) releases her real life info onto the web!.

This would be massive news not only within the gaming community but major news places due to the massive privacy breach and the fact a person was banned from a game due to complaining about abuse and threats.

Effect

This is where it lost me. I do think female gamers are treated like this in games but MMORPGs I've always found to be a lot better then most. Especially since the very fact they were subscription based filtered out a lot of people right form the start. This is actually part of why some are so against the free to play switch I believe.

If this did take place it would have to be a smaller game where you might have access to its head. The only things that come to mind would be something on the scale of maybe Darkfall Online/Unholy Wars. In fact that's the game that came to mind as I was reading this where it might be possible to talk with the CEO. Where the actual player base might be more likely to behave in the manner described due to it's complete PvP nature and how many abuse that of setup. You can talk with other players regardless of the faction I think. In other games such as WoW, SWTOR, etc where there is a big focus on PvP you can't talk to the other side. Sure you can dual but this seems to extreme to be a response to a dual fight. They're also structured in a way so that you can't even contact the CEOs but just customer service.

However this seems so out there that if this did happen legal action should have been taken right then and there. We would have heard about this happening to some degree.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm guessing they aren't providing the name of the game because the story is made up. Too many holes in this story.

Turns out TheIneffableSwede is a user at TheGuardian

Her bio at TheGuardian:

https://id.guardian.co.uk/profile/theineffableswede/public

Some of her other comments

at http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/04/tsa-nsa-unreasonable-searches

Their wording in the article

Sounds pretty legit. There's a temptation to believe these stories because they are plausible but the one in the OP stretches believability a bit with the employees publicly shaming her

mclem

We need detective gaf to find out what company and game this is about.

* Millions of players
* Some sort of PvP aspect.
* CO responds to complaints directly and bans people
* Real-life details are available to the game

WoW sprung to mind first of all, but I really don't see any of the big guys there responding directly to a complaint and proceeding to ban the complainer. On the other hand, though, millions of players. That screams F2P to me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
* Millions of players

WoW sprung to mind first of all, but I really don't see any of the big guys there responding directly to a complaint and proceeding to ban the complainer. On the other hand, though, millions of players. That screams F2P to me.
WoW GM's are VERY strict, they ban people for crude pms all the time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
If this happened the game is nowhere near the size that she said it was, pretty sure if someone had leaked her details then it would have been known.

Rezbit

Could really use the whole story here.

Pretty much Smoky. REALLY need the whole story.

This also reminds me that pretty much every competitive game I've played I've been threatened with death, had my sexuality questioned, had many people mention their relations with my mother. Obviously can't speak from a female's perspective but it really just shows the internet is full of fuckin' buttholes.

I'm thinking WOW or LOL. The only two top ones I can think of.

Seems like the more competitive nature of LoL would lead to that level of unpleasantness.

You have to consider that this person is saying that she managed to get into contact with the CEO of this company. I very much doubt that some random player is going to be able to reach the CEO of Blizzard or Riot to discuss how they're being treated in game.

Mory Dunz

Maybe I missed it but...

were the threats the written type in the shout box or whatever?

Or were they with people she was voice chatting with in the game?

dewdrop

Banned
Everyone wanting the name of the game is missing the point and throwing up a red herring; this is a generic example meant to stand for common and pervasive attitudes.

Also it's an English outlet and I'm no barrister but their libel law is more complicated than American.

It is true. There are a lot of women that give out abuse when playing games. You just don't hear about it as often

There are but the ratio to women and men in gaming is as she said 20:80.. Hardly anything they say is abusive as to what is coming their way when they do something good. I don't ever think a man even takes a threat from a women gamer that seriously anyways. Trust me, I hear it all the time when I play games especially in COD (pretty much the reason I stopped playing). You get the occasional "get hit on" guys, but that completely goes out the window when you win something. My god, my little cousin doesn't make it better either. He screams "Oh ya'll just got beat by a girl"

Here comes that. "That bitch ain't shit." "Tell that shit to my d**k""She can beat my di** any day blah blah blah" Of course it doesn't mean anything to me but I feel bad for her because does happen.

The Boat

* Millions of players
* Real-life details are available to the game

Yeah, but I have to be honest, this smells like bullshit to me. Either we're only getting a fraction of the story, or it's completely false.

Everyone wanting the name of the game is missing the point and throwing up a red herring; this is a generic example meant to stand for common and pervasive attitudes.

Also it's an English outlet and I'm no barrister but their libel law is more complicated than American.
There's an enormous difference about sadly common ocurrences like assholes being assholes online and CEOs banning someone who's a victim of sexism and harassment and publishing their full details online. This isn't a common attitude at all and generic examples don't make any sense here.

Top Bottom