• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian: US military considers shooting down North Korea missile tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

US military considers shooting down North Korea missile tests

The US military is considering shooting down North Korean missile tests as a show of strength to Pyongyang, two sources briefed on the planning have told the Guardian.

Amid heightened tensions over North Korea’s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs, the Pentagon is looking for ways short of war to pressure the country into denuclearization, particularly if Pyongyang goes forward with a sixth nuclear test.

Robert Kelly, an associate professor at South Korea’s Pusan National University, said: “North Korea is banned from testing missiles by the UN, so in that sense we should be shooting all of them down. But instead, the world has turned a blind eye. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to shoot down a test missile, as an attack on North Korea itself would be too provocative.”

tPVREvzvQLGhmoJrob2N_Kid%20Basketball%20Swat.gif

So the Great Leader would just spin it and say that the Great NK military intercepted and destroyed the invading horde's missiles?

Kim Jong-Un is playing some 7-D baccarat or some shit.

Barzul

Lot of risk in that. Those systems are not 100% accurate.

One would think given the amount of money we spend on our military that we'd have the best available...I know Israel has the defense system they use but not sure if that is movable.

JZA

Why is this a headline? I'm sure this among many other options were also "considered", but only this one gets a headline.

Xando

Trump really wants to provoke NK into military retaliation

CNN already preparing the "very presidential segment" for when seoul and pyongyang burn.
One would think given the amount of money we spend on our military that we'd have the best available...I know Israel has the defense system they use but not sure if that is movable.

Success rate for missile interceptions ranges from 50 to 90% depending on who you ask. Not sure we want to take the risk.

guek

Banned
With a steadier hand at the wheel than Trump's, I might not oppose this. The danger is in provoking an incident but NK provocation in this case warrants a response.

That would require a successful test launch

They've had em before.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I thought the whole missile defense thing was pretty iffy to begin with?

If NK launches something and the US misses, it'll be even more embarrassing than NK failing to launch again.

And with Trump at the wheel, he could miss really badly and hit something he shouldn't. Or NK might overreact and mistake the intercept missile for a ballistic missile, and attempt something really stupid.

Guevara

If NK launches something and the US misses, it'll be even more embarrassing than NK failing to launch again.

And with Trump at the wheel, he could miss really badly and hit something he shouldn't. Or NK might overreact and mistake the intercept missile for a ballistic missile, and attempt something really stupid.

Oh great, now I'm afraid of this scenario.

Joni

Oops. We accidentally nuked North Korea. Our bad. We wanted to hit that missile. Yes, with a nuke. What else? Yes, we had to launch 12 when we saw the first one missed.

guek

Banned

The problem AFAIK is missile defense systems are largely untested in the field. THAAD supposedly has a really high success rate and it's in SK already but there are some that have doubts that it's as effective as advertised.

Don't fancy them hitting a moving target and they have to find North Korea. Some science student class is about to get rekt.

Ogodei

THAAD hits missiles on the way down, no? Seems like it would be a fruitless gesture unless it wasn't a test. Plus, you'd have to know the general vicinity of where they were shooting in advance, which is possible given the US Intel.

guek

Banned
THAAD hits missiles on the way down, no? Seems like it would be a fruitless gesture unless it wasn't a test. Plus, you'd have to know the general vicinity of where they were shooting in advance, which is possible given the US Intel.

I don't think so? I'm not well versed in this stuff though. This graphic from lockheed martin doesn't help much...

mfc-thaad-info-web-page-intercepting-hr.jpg

Kinyou

Wouldn't this be an ibcm test? Afaik do they try to hit those in their sub-orbital phase

Xando

Aren't their test sites really close to Russia?
Not sure. THAAD was primarily designed to intercept scuds and other short to midrange missiles.
Missile range is at about 150km height and 200km range which is not that good for ICBMs(traveling around 5-10km/s) as it leaves a relatively short time window to deploy the missile.

Chittagong

Gold Member
- missile is flying in international waters
- missile is launched against an UN resolution

Surely there can't be anything controversial in shooting it down?

This would be a really risky move. The THAAD hasn't been tested on anything larger than a MRBM and NK's BM-25s are supposedly IRBMs. This would be a bad time to learn the THAAD can't shoot down intermediate range missiles.
On the other hand if they opted to use an alternative like an Aegis destroyer it might raise questions about how much faith the US has in the THAAD's abilities.

diehard

Fleer
This would be a really risky move. The THAAD hasn't been tested on anything larger than a MRBM and NK's BM-25s are supposedly IRBMs. This would be a bad time to learn the THAAD can't shoot down intermediate range missiles.
On the other hand if they opted to use an alternative like an Aegis destroyer it might raise questions about how much faith the US has in the THAAD's abilities.

They have done tests that combine both systems, they could do that here. Just as long as the missile is destroyed it's a success.

ZOONAMI

If they have 90%+ confidence in the tech actually working I'm cool with that shit. Huge backfire if you cant successfully intercept though.

Xando

What's the point of putting THAAD in SK if it can't be used against NK missiles
THAAD actually makes sense to use in SK due to the relatively low area you'd have to cover and NK using short/mid range missiles. Covering the US against ICBMs is where it's going to lose effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom