• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Intercept: NSA report details Russian hacking effort days before 2016 US election

Sunster

Where on earth would we go from here if this turned out to be the case?
kinda like this i guess
635863546119759055787481346_giphy.gif

Obama didn't want to. Plus if this came out would have helped Trump with the whole Rigged statements.

How would it have helped Trump? If the US government suspected collusion and had solid evidence of Russian penetration, then that should've been made known before the election or before Trump was formally inaugurated. Everything should've grinded to halt and the transfer of power should've been in question. Now it's too late because of the peaceful transition and formal acceptance of defeat.

Kelsdesu

So actual machines were hacked.
When will this election be nullified.

I think I see what you are thinking... Influence isnt the same as actually manipulating the machines, so no. There will be no election nullification. Also seeing thread titles of this nature and not reading the OP are a recipe for disappointment.

What if Donald was so sure he would win because he knew it was rigged in his favor. That's why he said the election is rigged if Hillary won, because it would mean she rigged it more

Magwik

Banned
How would it have helped Trump? If the US government suspected collusion and had solid evidence of Russian penetration, then that should've been made known before the election or before Trump was formally inaugurated. Everything should've grinded to halt and the transfer of power should've been in question. Now it's too late because of the peaceful transition and formal acceptance of defeat.
People believe that Hillary Clinton ran a child sex ring and killed Seth Rich. Trump and co would have easily turned Russian meddling into a Democrat conspiracy meant to keep him down like they have already.

androvsky

I might remember wrong but I thought the intelligence guys said there was no evidence of this kind of thing in the House hearings?

Depends very precisely on what "this kind of thing" is. Still no evidence of voter machines being hacked, but there were trojanized Word documents sent to election officials with instructions on how to install the software that lets them check voter registration.

So if a bunch of registered Democrats in targeted districts suddenly showed up as not having been registered, that would be what this report is about.

That they were so certain it was Russian Military Intelligence directly is a big deal too.

Voter registrations were tampered with in Arizona. I know someone who has lived and voted there for years but in the past election their ballot was made provisional. I absolutely believe this was done.

Yeah it's looking like Russia may have been successful at actually suppressing the vote in some states by invalidating some of the voters.

Hacking voter registration is very interesting and actually seems plausible. There's no same day registration so people would show up to find out they can't vote. Still if they did this in any degree of scale there would be backlash. You can't manipulate 1000s of registrations and expect there to be no scandal or investigation.

Voter registrations were tampered with in Arizona. I know someone who has lived and voted there for years but in the past election their ballot was made provisional. I absolutely believe this was done.

I'm curious if the amount of provisional ballots increased significantly from 2012.

EDIT: Just read that the Wisconsin provisional ballots were less than the winning margin , so it sounds like it wouldn't have made a difference.

Defense spending has nothing to do with private companies providing voting registration software.

Also they didn't magically hack the systems. If this is true they send a bunch of phishing emails to people and may or may not got access to accounts of people working for these private companies.

I thought some of the intelligence agencies were under the military budget. It would more accurate to say the intelligence agencies then because I know for sure they work with private companies and do they own thing to prevent things like this from happening.

I never really thought that they hacked the voting machines since I was under the impression that they were old fashion and under state control. However, I know a few pushed the fact that since the Russians didn't hack the voting machines that they didn't influence the elections. It appears that they did penetrate or at least tried the voting systems mainly vote registration. I don't how much they actually tampered though.

Is this the most damning info yet? It all seems damning but this is on another level.
Just like every other piece of information that leaks on the Trump Administration, this will have no tangible effect on 45.

Fuck-ups happen all the time. Voter rolls are a hot mess overall. You can't go by one guy you know.

As was just you'd need an inexplicable sharp increase in provisional ballots or something.

Hacking voter registration is very interesting and actually seems plausible. There's no same day registration so people would show up to find out they can't vote. Still if they did this in any degree of scale there would be backlash. You can't manipulate 1000s of registrations and expect there to be no scandal or investigation.

Actually there is depending on the state. That's what makes this so inconsistent. There isn't one set of voting rules for every state.

Now what should be interesting is whether or what appears to be Russia's efforts to suppress certain votes (by invalidating their voter registrations) turned out to be successful.

Because if they were successful then that's kinda gonna be a big fucking deal for the upcoming midterms.

Fuck-ups happen all the time. Voter rolls are a hot mess overall. You can't go by one guy you know.

As was just you'd need an inexplicable sharp increase in provisional ballots or something.

Well I guess that would kinda answer the question then. Did certain counties in Arizona, Florida, and North Carolina have a very sharp spike in provisional ballots?

People believe that Hillary Clinton ran a child sex ring and killed Seth Rich. Trump and co would have easily turned Russian meddling into a Democrat conspiracy meant to keep him down like they have already.

Give me a break. So many of these revelations were known last year and they still went ahead with a transition of power that wasn't halted in light of this information. We're not in the current situation because of Trump's ability to control the narrative with conspiracy theories. We're in this situation because countless government officials exercised poor judgement and didn't blow the whistle until (implicitly implied by their leaks) a Russian agent and his cronies were running the US for months. Dumber than dumb...

Sephzilla

Is this the most damning info yet? It all seems damning but this is on another level. Just like every other piece of information that leaks on the Trump Administration, this will have no tangible effect on 45.

Approval ratings in the dumps, Comey's going to likely accuse him of obstruction of justice this week under oath, and former FBI Director Judge Dredd is leading an independent investigation against Trump. We need to stop the "no effect / nothing will happen" stuff because stuff is clearly happening

And people saying "nothing will come of this" are getting called out for their "fear mongering".

You guys are way ahead of yourselves.

Not really, at most what I said was a wish that looks like it could never even happen anyway. If the Russians did mess with the ballots enough to influence the election, she still wouldn't be prez. It would go to the next person in line.

I thought some of the intelligence agencies were under the military budget. It would more accurate to say the intelligence agencies then because I know for sure they work with private companies and do they own thing to prevent things like this from happening.

I never really thought that they hacked the voting machines since I was under the impression that they were old fashion and under state control. However, I know a few pushed the fact that since the Russians didn't hack the voting machines that they didn't influence the elections. It appears that they did penetrate or at least tried the voting systems mainly vote registration. I don't how much they actually tampered though.

I get the feeling this will be the narrative that is pushed extremely hard by the Trump supporters and Republicucks.

"The voting systems were never compromised! Yet another excuse for Democrats huge loss!"

Agreed, it's worth looking into. To verify the trendlines of new registrations and registrations removed from the rolls to ensure that nothing out of the ordinary happened.

i don't really think they even needed to hack voting machines to swing an election...from the margin of victory they'd just have to purge a few thousand names off of voter rolls, and there's already plenty of evidence that voter rolls had been tampered with, or at least stolen

Pilgrimzero

You gotta love a system that never thought "What should happen if our voting system was messed with by outside forces?"

I would say it means it's invalid and should be redone, it instead it will just stay valid. That's fucked up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Only ways this can get worse

1) We find out Russia hacking actually did influence the election [AKA: Trump's win is invalid]
2) We find out the Trump administration was somehow connected to it directly
It definitely affected the outcome. The question is how much.

It definitely affected the outcome. The question is how much.

I doubt it actually made the difference for Trump to win. But the fact that they got into our voting systems is important because we have midterms coming up.

Like, for everyone who is about to suggest that Trump only won because Russia literally hacked the votes, New Hampshire is entirely paper ballots and they showed they exact same red rural wave as the rest of the damn country.

Finalizer

Just like every other piece of information that leaks on the Trump Administration, this will have no tangible effect on 45.

It's another piece to the snowballing pile of evidence against Trump and his administration. We've seen plenty of this leaked, and surely there's plenty more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Hell, it wasn't long ago that Mueller was brought on as special counsel. You can't expect Trump to just get kicked out overnight - keep in mind that Watergate took over a year to result in Nixon's resignation.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I doubt it actually made the difference for Trump to win. But the fact that they got into our voting systems is important because we have midterms coming up.

They targeted their disinformation campaigns down to specific counties in Michigan and Wisconsin. It absolutely seems plausible the electoral college was tipped due to the meddling

WI has same day registering

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So now you guys like the Intercept reporting? :p

On topic: This is why I like paper ballots. This whole issue is then largely off the table. Confidence in results is important.

What will destroy Trump isn't ONE SINGLE NEWS STORY but Death By A Thousand Cuts. The Constant Negative Narrative will solidify Trump's opposition (aka his disapproval and strong disapproval numbers), will slowly chip away at his voters and fanbase (aka his approval and strong approval numbers), will make his fanbase less likely to want to vote while making his opposition more likely to want to kick him out of office, and will keep putting the GOP in an awkward spot because without Trump's fanbase they are now nothing.

They targeted their disinformation campaigns down to specific counties in Michigan and Wisconsin. It absolutely seems plausible the electoral college was tipped due to the meddling

Well yes I"m sure THAT made a difference, but a lot of it was also the fact that Trump's fanbase (white rural conservatives) turned out in really high numbers while our side was a lot less enthusiastic about voting.

Approval ratings in the dumps, Comey's going to likely accuse him of obstruction of justice this week under oath, and former FBI Director Judge Dredd is leading an independent investigation against Trump. We need to stop the "no effect / nothing will happen" stuff because stuff is clearly happening

I always see the we need to stop with the nothing will come of this statements, but why should we stop?

Clinton was impeached for lying about a fucking blowjob. Trump has been violating the emoluments clause of the constitution along with a host of other violations that would get a Democrat prez impeached. So why should I believe something will come of this story?

Xando

This report makes me wonder if these people are properly trained if the russians thought they could get to them with something easy as spearphishing attacks.

I understand politicians have no clue but if you work on voter registration software you should have basic IT security training

Sephzilla

I always see the we need to stop with the nothing will come of this statements, but why should we stop?

Clinton was impeached for lying about a fucking blowjob. Trump has been violating the emoluments clause of the constitution along with a host of other violations that would get a Democrat prez impeached. So why should I believe something will come of this story?

Because stuff is actually coming out of all of this.

A news story isn't going to drop on Monday and Trump is going to be impeached by Friday. This stuff takes time and doesn't have the knee-jerk reaction style that big business has. I always point out that it took two years before Nixon resigned.

What will destroy Trump isn't ONE SINGLE NEWS STORY but Death By A Thousand Cuts. The Constant Negative Narrative will solidify Trump's opposition (aka his disapproval and strong disapproval numbers), will slowly chip away at his voters and fanbase (aka his approval and strong approval numbers), will make his fanbase less likely to want to vote while making his opposition more likely to want to kick him out of office, and will keep putting the GOP in an awkward spot because without Trump's fanbase they are now nothing.

The constant negative narrative hasn't effected Trump in the slightest bit. Republican leadership still lick his boots. His fan base will never, ever want to kick him out of office, they believe the Trump/Russia story is "Fake News".

Tamanon

Banned
Would this be the first time that they immediately caught the leaker?

I'm not liking that they figured out who leaked it that quickly.

Eh, looks like she was new, so was pretty easy to trace back who would download or print information they weren't supposed to look at.

Because stuff is actually coming out of all of this.

A news story isn't going to drop on Monday and Trump is going to be impeached by Friday. This stuff takes time and doesn't have the knee-jerk reaction style that big business has. I always point out that it took two years before Nixon resigned.

Nixon was also smarter than Trump and it took a lot less incriminating evidence for Nixon to give up and resign.

antonz

Would this be the first time that they immediately caught the leaker?

I'm not liking that they figured out who leaked it that quickly.

Apparently she printed the documents and mailed them around May 9th. So it took a few weeks to lock in on her and then Arrested her June 3rd

Top Bottom