• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

I expected the performance to not be great anyway on Last Guardian as I know team ico was never really good at it so i'm "okay" with it but this particular point still miffs me. Not that it's unplayable, like you said, but I really hope it doesn't set a precedent of sony just kinda flunking their exclusives on the OG to justify "acceptable" perf on the pro

Absolutely agreed and it makes me scared about Horizon because it looks more graphically ambitious than TLG and I remember seeing a lot about how great it looked and ran on the Pro. I'm fine with a game running and looking better on the enhanced version of the console I bought not knowing there would be an enhanced version of, that's not very great but whatever I'm cool with that. I am not cool with games running like shit in one and running perfectly fine on the other (again not saying that's the case with TLG).

Ulvion

Neo Member
I'm a little over an hour in and so far...it's okay!

Graphically there isn't much to complain about. It looks very nice. There are a few weird pieces of animation (your characters likes to ragdoll as he moves, occasionally), and there's a fair bit of noticeable clipping just when the character runs.

Trico is great and will make you smile a lot.

What may not make you smile are the "puzzles" I've run into multiple times. At least two instances involved me being very confused about where to go, and the solution being "stand in a very specific spot and Trico will do something you had no way of knowing he would do. And lots of the actual puzzles just end up with you finding a dead end, grabbing a barrel of food, and feeding it to Trico. In order to...I'm not sure.

I've not played Ico, but Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time. The controls are about on par with that.

I'm very excited for others to get their hands on it. Hopefully it improves after the first hour, and I hope you all end up enjoying it!

Ostinatto

i fucking KNEW it, i told all of you but you wouldn't listen when i prophesized the framerate dips. you told me master Ueda could handle it if given enough dev time (and a brand new console!), you tried to sway me, but i stayed true to my conviction. a few others did as well, you know who you are.. (shout out to jett!)

this is a framerate farce of truly epic proportions, and those of us who were ignored for YEARS now demand the respect we are owed, for showing the way despite being brutally ridiculed online by zealous Team Ico proponents. who's crazy now huh?

Is the feathers dude, not even a gtx 1080 could handle the feathers.

MrHoot

Absolutely agreed and it makes me scared about Horizon because it looks more graphically ambitious than TLG and I remember seeing a lot about how great it looked and ran on the Pro. I'm fine with a game running and looking better on the enhanced version of the console I bought not knowing there would be an enhanced version of, that's not very great but whatever I'm cool with that. I am not cool with games running like shit in one and running perfectly fine on the other (again not saying that's the case with TLG).

I've played a bit of horizon at TGS on an OG ps4 and it ran pretty good, but it was in a somewhat controlled environment so who knows.

Also can we get less shitpostey about the framerate like it's the sole indicator of this game's quality, or that it's completely unplayable when it's obviously not ?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Fair enough. But feel and play for Shadow of the Colossus just isn't there, despite the slower more deliberate animations. I've never had these kid of issues with Dark Souls controls, despite it being a slower game.

Too each their own but I thought SotC had tremendously well done controls that conveyed the feeling of an everyman attempting to surmount impossible odds while still giving you a responsive control scheme. I wouldn't have been speed running colossi if the control scheme was a mess in any respect.

i fucking KNEW it, i told all of you but you wouldn't listen when i prophesized the framerate dips. you told me master Ueda could handle it if given enough dev time (and a brand new console!), you tried to sway me, but i stayed true to my conviction. a few others did as well, you know who you are.. (shout out to jett!)

this is a framerate farce of truly epic proportions, and those of us who were ignored for YEARS now demand the respect we are owed, for showing the way despite being brutally ridiculed online by zealous Team Ico proponents. who's crazy now huh?

Who hurt you? On the doll where did Trico nuzzle you?

PlayerOne

Banned
People here who are so "concerned" act as if they will be playing at 20 fps for the dozen hours or so of the game. Most games have framerate dips in specific areas and no one crucifies them for that.

HStallion

What may not make you smile are the "puzzles" I've run into multiple times. At least two instances involved me being very confused about where to go, and the solution being "stand in a very specific spot and Trico will do something you had no way of knowing he would do. And lots of the actual puzzles just end up with you finding a dead end, grabbing a barrel of food, and feeding it to Trico. In order to...I'm not sure.

I know some people will not like this but I actually enjoy that the game isn't going to hold your hand.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is this a joke?

Part of the reason I particularly like the way SotC controls is because of what is actually happening under the hood. You aren't directly controlling wanderer - rather, he's an AI, and you are influencing the AI with your control. He does what he wants, with the caveat that you can influence some of the factors in his decision making.

This really mimics what it's like riding a horse. I really like that.

Us Ueda fans wont give a shit. A bad framerate is a small price to pay for what lord Ueda has in store for us.

Only those who accept his games with all the movement and framerate flaws are welcome to gaming heaven.

HStallion

Part of the reason I particularly like the way SotC controls is because of what is actually happening under the hood. You aren't directly controlling wanderer - rather, he's an AI, and you are influencing the AI with your control. He does what he wants, with the caveat that you can influence some of the factors in his decision making.

This really mimics what it's like riding a horse. I really like that.

I really enjoyed being able to Colossi surf in SotC. Once you got the controls down you could do some really cool things.

ethomaz

Banned
SotC's controls and animations blew my mind in 2005. I thought it felt perfect.
It was and speeds runs were pure skills not being affected by controls like it should be.

I really enjoyed being able to Colossi surf in SotC. Once you got the controls down you could do some really cool things.

Nothing as exhilarating as using the momentum of the Colossus movement to make a big leap onto another part of the Colossus
The design of the colosus were magistral... each one of them fell unique with different ways to beat them.

Servbot24

Banned

Is this parody?

I have a hard time believing that a single person on planet earth believed this would have no dips.

MrHoot

I am pretty interested in the eventual future speedruns of Last Guardian because dealing with Trico is like dealing with an actual animal. Or someone will crack the Tricode and make him their slave :p

bigmac996

Here are some images captured in 1080p. I think the 4k png option is a bit messed up, it seems to scale up the image poorly. I'm playing on a 1080p tv on a pro, not sure if the game actually supports 4k or if the pngs I was saving out were just being upscaled.

Here's a better representation of what It looks like at 1080p res:

thelastguardian_20161bsk64.png

thelastguardian_20161lxqvc.png

thelastguardian_201612qqjx.png

@bigmac996
Could you change your screenshot settings to 1080p? The 4K option uses poor scaling (nearest neighbor?) which results in a pretty soft final image.

Just did it! I think you're totally right, the image looks off compared to what I see on screen.

Image quality isn't great at 1080p. Oh well.
I agree.
If there's a PRO support with 1.01 maybe is a stable 30fps, but certainly that is not downsampled.

For the record, it looks way cleaner on screen. I'm playing at 1080p uploaded pics at 1080p above to show this. I think the 4k png option wasn't capturing properly, and was upscaling the png itself as Autofokus said.

Ostinatto

Here are some images captured in 1080p. I think the 4k png option is a bit messed up, it seems to scale up the image poorly. I'm playing on a 1080p tv on a pro, not sure if the game actually supports 4k or if the pngs I was saving out were just being upscaled.

Here's a better representation of what It looks like at 1080p res:

Just did it! I think you're totally right, the image looks off compared to what I see on screen.

For the record, it looks way cleaner on screen. I'm playing at 1080p uploaded pics at 1080p above to show this. I think the 4k png option wasn't capturing properly, and was upscaling the png itself as Autofokus said.

Can you take some pics of the tail please?

HStallion

Nothing as exhilarating as using the momentum of the Colossus movement to make a big leap onto another part of the Colossus

It was and speeds runs were pure skills not being affected by controls like it should be.

Using the momentum of the third colossus's sword to launch yourself right onto the top of its head was one of my favorite gaming feats. Its a lot harder to do than it seems

RhyDin

How is framerate and performance on the original PS4? I see someone noted in the OP that the Pro performance is great, but I still have the OG PS4.

Jacob4815

If the game is downsampled from a higher resolution the jaggies should be reduced or missing. From the preview videos this looked a very very jaggied game.

You could have a look to the anti-aliasing to deduce the resolution.

jett

D-Member

lol

I don't remember saying much about this game's framerate though. Honestly I'm surprised it's having issues on the regular PS4, considering its last-gen origins.

Why is it so hard for people to accept some gamers don't mind frame drops or controls that don't feel as responsive as Dante in DMC?

- people still watch DVD's
- people still play SNES Games
- people still stream low quality shows over the net
- people watch entire series on YouTube

Some of the post in here sound straight out of DF, and when people are saying "I don't care about that at all" it's being dismissed as blind Ueda love. Man get outta here with that crap. I play stuff like SFV and MGS:R on hardest difficulty, you adjust, period. frame drops or animation heavy controls are just not a big deal to a lot of gamers. Get over yourselves...

Next comment "we aren't allowed to critique anymore, only posters gushing over TLG allowed"

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
No significant framerate problems after 3 hours of play that I noticed. I'm sure it dipped below 30 a couple of times, but at no point did it impact gameplay. I am playing on a Pro, though, so vanilla PS4 may be a different story.

Looks like mine is arriving today.

Is there going to be a day 1 patch or is it playable as it?

It patched to 1.01 last night and to 1.02 this morning.

SomTervo

Sarcasm?

Framerate problems after so long in development is incredibly embarrassing.

That's some incompetence right there surely. This thing was meant to run on a PS3 originally.

HStallion

That's some incompetence right there surely. This thing was meant to run on a PS3 originally.

And it could never run on the PS3 without being a slide show.

Said no one here

Lower frame rate are more bearable for certain people depending on the type/speed of overall game.

It's not perfect and will probably deduce points from the game overall but it's not the determining "be all end all" to the quality of the product for certain people, including me

Well said.
Bad performance in leisurely paced games like The Last Guardian are much less gameplay affecting than say in a first person shooter.

This still? Just because it was originally developed for PS3 doesn't mean it was able to run on a PS3. The tech was too advanced for the PS3 to handle. So the "how come a PS3 game is like this on a PS4" angle doesn't make any sense.

No significant framerate problems after 3 hours of play that I noticed. I'm sure it dipped below 30 a couple of times, but at no point did it impact gameplay. I am playing on a Pro, though, so vanilla PS4 may be a different story.

OK, thanks.

Tks for the impressions...really can't wait for this one, probably my last purchase of the year.

https://youtu.be/HPUk21doVHg

This still? Just because it was originally developed for PS3 doesn't mean it was able to run on a PS3. The tech was too advanced for the PS3 to handle. So the "how come a PS3 game is like this on a PS4" angle doesn't make any sense.
It's obviously more advanced but with a base from last gen and eons in development a locked 30 should be the minimum.

If it does dip to 20 as frequently as some suggest that tells me the game was still a mess and they did all they could to just shove it out the door.

bigmac996

It's obviously more advanced but with a base from last gen and eons in development a locked 30 should be the minimum.

If it does dip to 20 as frequently as some suggest that tells me the game was still a mess and they did all they could to just shove it out the door.
It doesnt dip like that, the claims are way overexaggerated. Im on the pro though.

As they should considering it's the GOAT. Although I understand what you mean, you have to understand what both the SNES and the DVD technology were at the time. It was high end as shit.

Instead of shrugging off issues like that, I think the better mentality is that while those are (apparently) real and may hamper the enjoyment for some, the game excels (apparently) in other areas so that in the balance it's more positive than negative. Denying the flaws it may have is just asking for people to be contrarian and exaggerate them.

SomTervo

The narrative is that it was WAY too ambitious for PS3 and they didn't really clock that until a year or two in. Then it went into development hell for a few years while still sorta being a PS3 game. Then they had to almost restart the work when the move to PS4 was confirmed.

It's perfectly understandable. Game dev is complicated.

No, a "base from last gen" makes no difference and no sense. The PS3's architecture was notoriously idiosyncratic and awkward. You can't just port stuff from it easily, especially if the title in question was an exclusive that harnessed the PS3's crazy lateral structure. It's like saying it would be easy to turn a wooden bridge into a stone bridge. You can't "just do it".

MoonFrog

Hmmm...I decided on getting a slim for this on cyber Monday. I'm usually pretty oblivious to or able to handle low framerate as long as it isn't lurching around (which again, I'm less observant of than others). I was fine with Ico and SotC back in the day, but that was long ago. Hoping that I didn't go wrong getting the Slim over the Pro, i.e. hoping that it really is a non-issue for less aware folk and people who were fine with the older games.

Kieli

Why is it so hard for people to accept some gamers don't mind frame drops or controls that don't feel as responsive as Dante in DMC?

- people still watch DVD's
- people still stream low quality shows over the net
- people watch entire series on YouTube

Some of the post in here sound straight out of DF, and when people are saying "I don't care about that at all" it's being dismissed as blind Ueda love. Man get outta here with that crap. I play stuff like SFV and MGS:R on hardest difficulty, you adjust, period. frame drops or animation heavy controls are just not a big deal to a lot of gamers. Get over yourselves...

Next comment "we aren't allowed to critique anymore, only posters gushing over TLG allowed"

Framerate drops are completely unacceptable, regardless of how you may personally feel about them. If you're delivering a technical product, make sure if delivers a smooth 30 fps. Make some compromises if necessary. Ugh.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Framerate drops are completely unacceptable, regardless of how you may personally feel about them. If you're delivering a technical product, make sure if delivers a smooth 30 fps. Make some compromises if necessary. Ugh.

Its not about delivering a "technical product", its about delivering entertainment. Which is why plenty of games with imperfect frame-rate have been so loved and critically revered over the years.

That is an indisputable fact.

...You?

Top Bottom