• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - new images

bombshell

I seriously don't know what people were expecting. Team Ico isn't known for the their technical capabilities.
I also like how the game didn't depart at all from its original vision (as far as we can see) and yet people are still complaining about it being the same.

It's funny that in the rumor thread people were worried that the concept now would be nothing like what was shown many years ago. Now people complain that the concept looks too much like the original concept...

thatJohann

This game will drain me emotionally I can just tell. I wanna protect the cat bird. If something happens to it I will lose my shit

nOoblet16

The lighting is fantastic and way beyond what the PS3 could handle.

Eh? Not really.
This was from 2009 (keep in mind this is not HD but you have things in this trailer that is similar to the stuff we saw yesterday). If anything the lighting looks quite dated because it's harsh and quite saturated.

Risible

This can't have an unhappy ending.

I just can't. If it dies at the end I'll never be able to replay it.

There's enough gritty and tough endings. Give me one where me and cat/bird/dog live happily ever after, please.

Thanks in advance, Ueda. I hope you got my back bro.

As someone who didn't give a shit about TLG, and has never played Ico & SOTC - this reveal was fantastic.

I cannot believe how great the beast looks in terms of animation and expression.

Portugeezer

New phone background get!

Edit:

*sniff* it's beautiful

RGAaGqz.png
0wHIHoY.jpg

Vanille

Eh? Not really.
This was from 2009 (keep in mind this is not HD but you have things in this trailer that is similar to the stuff we saw yesterday). If anything the lighting looks quite dated because it's harsh and quite saturated.

We have no idea if that was actually running on PS3 hardware though.

Prine

Banned
Looks OK, more like a PS3 gane, after UC4, Horizon I couldn't really get excited for this. The dogbird animation looks great though.

Heartfyre

I think it looks less like a bad PS4 game, but illustrates that they tried to get too much out of the PS3. It looks like a great PS4 game to me, especially when you bear in mind that the Team ICO art style deliberately flattens and desaturates the environments.

Well I think it's a gorgeous looking game, PS3 roots or no. It's not a graphical powerhouse by any means, but that ICO aesthetic goes a long way when creating a world that's visually pleasing and bursting with atmosphere. The animation is top notch too.

Truth be told, I'm just glad that the game didn't get overhauled or anything; that was my major worry. It still looks exactly like the '09 trailer I know and love, and that's enough for me.

Eh? Not really.

Let's not forget the game ran at about 10 FPS on PS3, hence the major problems. The combinations of lighting, animation and physics were beyond PS3

I think the desaturated lighting is just something inherent with Team Ico art style

nOoblet16

I seriously don't know what people were expecting. Team Ico isn't known for the their technical capabilities.
I also like how the game didn't depart at all from its original vision (as far as we can see) and yet people are still complaining about it being the same.

SOTC was one of the most advanced, if not the most technically advanced game on PS2. Yes it had a crap framerate to show that, but it was technically advanced and they were doing stuff like approximating HDR, object motion blur, cloth physics, Fur shading on PS2 !

Yes these were basic..but it was on the PS2 ! at a time when games didn't used to do these things usually. So nope, Team Ico were known for their technical capability as well.

bombshell

Seriously? Were we watching the same video? The way the kid controlled looked pretty janky and imprecise. The controls don't look very tight at all.

I think that was more the fault of the player. There was times where he seemed to use full lock on the left stick where it would have made more sense to use slight movement, which he did in other parts.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Wahhhh these textures are not high res enough it's so last gen. I didn't even notice the unprecedented quality of the creature animation because I'm a gigantic idiot. Wahhh.

Not sure what everyone else is talking about cuz I'm really impressed by the graphics, among other things.

Yeah I think it looks great. If I'd never seen it before I think I'd still really like the look of this game. Great art direction, clean IQ, nice lighting etc. It pleases my eyes.

Kule

You just know that thing will be dying near the end. I'm honestly a little scared to play it

I'm kinda expecting metamorphosis or something going by SOTC. The blue horns remind me of the weird energy in ICO yorda could interact with.

tensuke

The griffin behaves JUST like my roommate's cats (I mean, besides flying and shit). It's really amazing how well animated and posed this thing is in the game.

nOoblet16

Let's not forget the game ran at about 10 FPS on PS3, hence the major problems. The combinations of lighting, animation and physics were beyond PS3

I think the desaturated lighting is just something inherent with Team Ico art style
Where is that thing about 10FPS coming from? You got some proof/source on that?
You can see that the video looks alright, and if the video was not running on PS3 then why was it using performance saving dithered alpha to coverage blending for the fur ?

And yea, the desaturated lighting is something Team Ico does, but it's can be desaturated and still not be harsh.

This is basically my new filter. If someone's going to excessively nitpick the graphics in this game I know I can ignore their opinions going forward. It's definitely not perfect but it services the game perfectly well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is this game early in development? Looks rough in some places.

Early in the sense that it comes out at an indeterminate time next year (read: late 2016). Games are typically rough in some places when they are over a year from completion. When they aren't, it's because it's a vertical slice that overstates the quality of the final product.

It's funny that in the rumor thread people were worried that the concept now would be nothing like what was shown many years ago. Now people complain that the concept looks too much like the original concept...

Yeah, there were lots of concerns the vision would totally change... It didn't, now people are concerned it looks the same as the reveal...

You just can't please everyone... I just hope the game runs solid with the full story intact...ICO and SOTC ran pretty janky and I just adored them... They were never considered the most graphically impressive games, they were fun games with beautiful art and wonderful stories...

That's what I expect from this...

SgtCobra

SOTC was one of the most advanced, if not the most technically advanced game on PS2. Yes it had a crap framerate to show that, but it was technically advanced and they were doing stuff like approximating HDR, object motion blur, cloth physics, Fur shading on PS2 !

Yes these were basic..but it was on the PS2 ! at a time when games didn't used to do these things usually. So nope, Team Ico were known for their technical capability as well.
There you have it, the framerate was unbearable at times, in the 10s even. Many other developers could've pulled of the same stuff with their games but they didn't because it would give the same horrible results. So throwing all kinds of fancy effects on a game (which was at the end of the PS2's initial lifecycle) resulting in a terrible framerate is not something which I would call "technically capable"
Well, Shadow of The Collusus IS a technical marvel. What they pulled off with a PS2 there is ridiculous.
With that framerate? God of War 2 was more impressive to me, sure, SotC was more open but the presentaion and graphics coupled with a pretty stable framerate puts it ahead of Team Ico's stuff.

Where is that thing about 10FPS coming from? You got some proof/source on that?
You can see that the video looks alright, and if the video was not running on PS3 then why was it using performance saving dithered alpha to coverage blending for the fur ?

And yea, the desaturated lighting is something Team Ico does, but it's can be desaturated and still not be harsh.

From Sony sources on this forum. And the only time we ever saw the game running in real time in the preview that came on the Ico Collection it looked like it was running in single digits

Seriously? Were we watching the same video? The way the kid controlled looked pretty janky and imprecise. The controls don't look very tight at all.

This is only thing i didn´t like. Is like the kids movement wasn´t full 360 grades but based on only 8 directions and made it imprecise at times. For the rest, day one.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Don't get GAF sometimes. The animations on that creature wouldn't look out of place in a peter jackson movie. Looks incredible.

Top Bottom