• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

I don't think a day has gone by yet where I don't get the urge the pop the game back in, just to spend time with Toriko. Playing it makes me really happy.

sasuke_91

Also, the ending and reveals were weak. There wasn't much to this tale in the end. I was hoping for a lot more.

It depends on how much you care for the relationship between the boy and Trico. For me the ending was superb and couldn't have been executed in a better way.

Started playing today........I hope it gets better =/

Why is the framerate so bad?!?

Try changing the resolution to 720p. This seems to help a lot of people.

I don't think a day has gone by yet where I don't get the urge the pop the game back in, just to spend time with Toriko. Playing it makes me really happy.

He's like a giant tamagotchi. You can't help but miss him when you haven't fed him in a long time :p

NateDog

Been playing the game for a few weeks (bought it on launch but didn't get the chance to play it as I was in FFXV, and it only took me so long as I generally popped it on for a short while once or twice a week) and finished it now. Absolutely beautiful game. This is how you make a story and tell it well, and utilise a soundtrack to its best (perhaps even better than that, as I didn't think the OST was incredible but I did still think it was very good, yet the way it was used was perfect). I cried and quite a lot, and not just at the end but throughout in different places. I really hope that genDesign don't stop here, but if this was to be Ueda and co.'s final game or final console game, I think it's a superb and fitting way to bow out.

ugoo18

Any advice from other players of this game in regards to controls, as you can see to say the controls of this game are irritating me would be an understatement.

F*ck the controls of this game in every way. Been playing this for around 4 or so hours and as someone who holds Shadow of the Colossus in very high regard (1 of my 3 favorite games of all alongside Metroid Prime 1 and Dark Souls 1) the game so far has been more ICO than Shadow of the Colossus which is fine, i enjoyed ICO on its own merits after all.

What isn't fine is the frustrating controls, directing Trico is all its own frustration. Shadow of the Colossus had its issues at times with controls but never like this, i had to stop playing at the moment to cool off because it was becoming an extreme exercise in frustration dealing with the controls of this game. I don't care how artistic or whatnot your game is trying to be, when it controls like a stoned bull on an ice rink there's clearly something wrong considering how damm long this was in the ether for.

Adryuu

Oh but you don't control Trico, you control the boy. So yes, try to treat Trico like you would a feral beast with some understanding, he will learn a bit. Don't spam orders, try communicating from different places (where he can look at you, or above his head, different places have worked for different people).

Have respect and patience. It's not intended that it's frustrating but it's intended he behaves like a real animal to a degree. Try to play your role as those are the game's rules. He definitely learns to understand faster the more you play through.

sasuke_91

Any advice from other players of this game in regards to controls, as you can see to say the controls of this game are irritating me would be an understatement.
Controls in terms of how the boy controls? I honestly saw no issue with that, so I can't really help you if you have problems.

As to how to give commands to Trico, it's very important to stay patient. Don't spam commands and always make sure that he looks at you when you give him a command. Give him some time to execute your command and maybe use R1+X if he does something wrong. It's a command I only used once in the whole game and Trico immediately came back to me when I did.
As people have mentioned, you can train Trico throughout the game to make him listen easier. Ueda even said that your Trico is very different to another player's Trico because everyone plays the game differently.

My number 1 advice would be patience though. Treat Trico like you would treat a real animal. Pet him a lot, give him time and make sure he always looks in your direction. Don't spam commands enjoy the game :p
I hope that helps a little bit.

Ahh so the game cues up commands also then i'm guessing?

It does, and pressing X is supposed to cancel the current queue altogether. But if I had to guess the system is borked, or at least parts of it are broken or some animations refuse to stop midway animations, which makes the game feel extra janky. If it makes you feel better one can always pretend that's because "animals act that way" or some other excuse.

I'm not sure. I actually think that a new command cancels the one before. It clearly irritates Trico though.

You can most definitely chain commands, easily visible when sometimes Trico automatically completes long sections automatically if you just smash the "jump" command for example

sasuke_91

You can most definitely chain commands, easily visible when sometimes Trico automatically completes long sections automatically if you just smash the "jump" command for example

Trico automatically completes long sections of jumps though, even if you only tell him to jump once
or if you just tell him to move forward
Not wanting to sound mean, but can anyone confirm this with a better example?

Griss

Yeah, you don't have to give Trico commands at all. He's a "real" animal who'll explore at his leisure if you leave him alone. When I'd get frustrated, I'd browse GAF while leaving the game on and controller down and sure enough Trico would get up, wander around, and eventually maybe make the jump or series of jumps I wanted him to out of boredom or curiosity.

I don't think the game queues commands at all, I never noticed that.

I also showed Trico a lot of petting affection and found about 80% of the barrels on my playthrough and he was perfectly behaved for the first three quarters of the game. I'm sure petting and barrels play a part.

This game has so many stunning moments, so much charm, and it is just so endearing, I can't fault it for the little frustrations I've encountered. Game is also downright gorgeous in certain moments (a lot of them).

And HOLY SHIT, was Trico supposed to
wig out, grab/bite/eat the kid, and then the game flashes back to before the boy was whisked away from his village?! It looked like I could try and outmaneuver Trico for a while there, and even climb out, but he managed to grab me. Such an incredible moment, that flashback.

I'm playing it in short bursts here and there, just really taking my time with it. How much is left, after that moment?

Oh wow. I was convinced the
boy was dead there, for a minute. Such a great moment.

NateDog

Oh wow. I was convinced the
boy was dead there, for a minute. Such a great moment.
This really was a great moment. End game spoilers in a way
I think the best part about how strong it is is that the game reminds you through the monologue that this is a grown man telling this story of something that happened to him as a child, yet it pulls you in so far that you find it hard to continually establish this fact and what it means for the plot. You know this, yet the game sucks you in and with moments like this you completely forget it and genuinely wonder if the boy will survive or not.

sasuke_91

This really was a great moment. End game spoilers in a way
I think the best part about how strong it is is that the game reminds you through the monologue that this is a grown man telling this story of something that happened to him as a child, yet it pulls you in so far that you find it hard to continually establish this fact and what it means for the plot. You know this, yet the game sucks you in and with moments like this you completely forget it and genuinely wonder if the boy will survive or not.

It was actually the opposite for me.
While the scene was playing I remembered that we're being constantly reminded that the boy will grow up to tell the story. At that moment I knew that he will survive, but was excited to see Trico's reaction when the boy wakes up.
And hey, look at that, it's one of the most well executed scenes in the whole game and one of the cutest moments I remember in recent gaming history :p
Amazing scene!

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Having waited a while since finishing my playthrough, in order to let everything sink in properly, I'm now confident when I say that I adore this game. It's an absolute masterpiece of the medium.

Spoilers ahead.

At the time, I had an almost visceral negative reaction to the end set piece atop the tower, when Trico is attacked and has it's tail ripped off. I hated it. It hit me like a truck and I pretty much felt sick as I scrambled to figure out what I could do to help.

I've since realised that was the point. I was emotionally attached by then. The devs had me where they wanted me. I had spent hours watching the boy and Trico bond. They had been through so much together.

I made the boy hunt for every barrel to feed Trico, spent ages just scratching behind it's ears, petting it, pulling out every spear and cleaning all the blood from it's feathers after every battle. It had been such a journey, figuring out every little puzzle as they made their way through the vast, labyrinthine, hauntingly beautiful landscape of the ruins in the valley. Trico had saved the boy's life more than once. I thought they had hit their lowest point, and overcame it, with the honestly terrifying fight against the second beast, when the boy saved Trico's life. I thought finally reaching the top of the white tower would be an emotional climax, and it was... Just not the kind I anticipated or wanted.

I've came to terms with it and honestly, now I'm just impressed at how the game managed to draw me in and manipulate me so expertly. But moving on from that personal reaction, The Last Guardian is simply a wonderful piece of interactive entertainment in it's own unique way, from start to finish. It's another example where I feel like I could sit down with someone who doesn't understand gaming and properly show them what it can be, what heights the medium can reach.

Trico is honestly one of the most impressive achievements in artificial intelligence gameplay I have ever seen. It felt real. It genuinely felt like the boy was traveling with a living, breathing animal.

The bread and butter of quietly, slowly exploring and looking for a path that would lead up through the ruins contrasted perfectly with the bigger set piece moments that honestly did have my pulse racing at times. The whole thing was paced out in such a way that I always wanted to know what was round the next corner, through the next gate or over the next yawning chasm. It always felt like a new discovery was just ahead. The game drew me along, intuitively. I very quickly, naturally, got in the habit of constantly taking my bearings and sizing everything up before proceeding.

The mask slipped for me once.
The boy fell through the wooden floor into a small chamber filled with water, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get him back out of there.

I've since discovered that this is a section of the game where Trico can act up. It will lower it's tail down in the far corner of the water filled chamber, so the boy can climb up and out, but can take a while before doing so.
Luckily for me, I reached this point quite late at night. I gave up for the night after 5 minutes of trying different things. On returning a couple of days later, Trico responded after a couple more minutes.

Aside from this one hiccup, I had no problems when issuing commands or otherwise interacting with Trico. As I said, it felt like a living, breathing animal and so I treated it as one. I watched to see how it responded to the boy's commands and gave it time to manoeuvre itself into position to try and carry them out. I rewarded it with affection after every successful completion of an area. It was pretty much always clear and obvious, just by watching Trico's responses, when the boy was telling it to do something that simply wasn't possible.

All said, the only real downside for me is that I know for a fact I'll need to leave it for a long time before playing through again. It's definitely not a game I'll be able to jump in and out of every so often. It's a rich, rewarding experience that I'll want to savour with fresh eyes and the right mindset, when the time comes again.

God it was brilliant. Ueda and his team came through. In the end, against all odds, the long wait really was worth it.

I hope this gets better. As someone who loves Shadow of the Colossus this game isn't doing it for me. More frustrating than fun. And I seem to get stuck at puzzles not because I don't know the solution, but because the game isn't working properly.

This is like the least polished game I've ever played. It's Ueda so I'm going to play this to the end... It sounds like the finale will save it so here's hoping.

Elitist1945

So the last thing I remember playing in the game was the section where
you're running up spiral stairs trying to open gates with the switches in the middle and avoiding the knights. This takes place after walking around and avoiding all those falling plank platforms.
How close to the end am I?

G-Bus

Banned
Will finally get to play this tonight. Too busy trying to clear out my backlog lately.

Love SotC and didn't care for Ico. Should be interesting.

Just beat it. I really liked it, though I get the hatred of the controls. For me it was the boy that pissed me off. Trico never really frustrated me, so I guess I had a good or at least better experience than all those people complaining about it. I'd rank it higher than Ico personally.

That whole end game on the tower and afterwards hurt. Like really hurt.

Servbot24

Banned
The only time the controls bothered me was when trying to get off Trico. I get the clumsiness of the boy, but that shouldn't result in constantly grabbing Trico when trying to get off. Minor complaint that only caused a real issue one time.

Anyways, that isn't really important. This game fills me with warmth. It enriches my life. Like being in the country, breathing in the crisp night air and staring deep into the stars. Like a first kiss, or like a cat rubbing her cheek on my face. This is the sort of video game that isn't allowed to exist. Execs don't approve this, nor should they. It feels like a miracle that I'll never forget.

I had to do a quick little fan art just from thinking about it :')

tumblr_olnls39ohs1rom6duo1_400.jpg

SirNinja

The only time the controls bothered me was when trying to get off Trico. I get the clumsiness of the boy, but that shouldn't result in constantly grabbing Trico when trying to get off. Minor complaint that only caused a real issue one time.

Pressing X + Triangle usually does the trick, I've found, as opposed to just Triangle itself. The boy wants to naturally hang on Trico (in case, for example, he jumps somewhere the boy couldn't normally reach), so the game has him automatically do that until you tell him not to.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...I honestly didn't know you could wipe the blood on Trico's feathers away. Must have gone over my head.

You monster ;-)

I thought it was nice though. On the surface it's a small detail (and I'm not sure it makes a difference to your playthrough in any way), but it's a lovely little touch that's there for you to discover. I like that.

So the last thing I remember playing in the game was the section where
you're running up spiral stairs trying to open gates with the switches in the middle and avoiding the knights. This takes place after walking around and avoiding all those falling plank platforms.
How close to the end am I?

If memory serves, I don't think you're even halfway through yet.

sasuke_91

You monster ;-)

I thought it was nice though. On the surface it's a small detail (and I'm not sure it makes a difference to your playthrough in any way), but it's a lovely little touch that's there for you to discover. I like that.

I often noticed the blood on his feathers, but I thought it was my fault for not protecting him from spear attacks. Of course it's a nice detail, and I'll make sure to make Trico look nice and clean at every point in time in my next playthrough :p

If memory serves, I don't think you're even halfway through yet.

Hm? I thought it was the scene that was pretty close to the end of the game, but maybe I'm mixing things up.

Ratrat

Anyways, that isn't really important. This game fills me with warmth. It enriches my life. Like being in the country, breathing in the crisp night air and staring deep into the stars. Like a first kiss, or like a cat rubbing her cheek on my face. This is the sort of video game that isn't allowed to exist. Execs don't approve this, nor should they. It feels like a miracle that I'll never forget.

I had to do a quick little fan art just from thinking about it :')

tumblr_olnls39ohs1rom6duo1_400.jpg
Beautiful! Im surprised we dont see more fanart. I really want to do something myself.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, I finally got stuck yesterday and had to resort to a guide.

The underwater part where:
Trico needs to jump into the water and the ensuing waves lift you up to the platform where you need to hit a switch

Now just got to the scene where
Trico eats you again
... how far along in the game would I be?

Game is mixed for me, the architecture and graphics are jaw-dropping, and the traversal platforming is pretty fun, but whenever it comes time to deal with the beast I get a bit frustrated. I understand that being patient and having him do what you want is part of the experience, but I think I prefer a bit more 'gaminess'. Controls while navigating on Trico are frustrating, as are some of the physics puzzles like when you have to throw barrels onto platforms. Though I did find that if you use the camera to look at an area where you want Trico to go, he'll usually then trigger the jump.

I'm sure that this has been covered a number of times already, but I've had a hard time finding anything concrete here or on Google. After SO LONG, I finally picked up this game, and I *LOVE IT*. Does anyone know for sure at this point what the boy is calling Trico or shouting to Trico? Something like "Yetioh" and "Urikur"? Is Yetioh his name for Trico? The Team ICO-language word for "doggie," "monster," "buddy," "c'mere" or something?

NateDog

I'm sure that this has been covered a number of times already, but I've had a hard time finding anything concrete here or on Google. After SO LONG, I finally picked up this game, and I *LOVE IT*. Does anyone know for sure at this point what the boy is calling Trico or shouting to Trico? Something like "Yetioh" and "Urikur"? Is Yetioh his name for Trico? The Team ICO-language word for "doggie," "monster," "buddy," "c'mere" or something?
I'd imagine he's calling him Trico but in his language it might be a word that means something specific rather than just a name he thought up. I'd say the rrst of his phrases are ones he shouts just to get his attention or call him over. Those are just my ideas though, no idea if Ueda or anyone else officially said anything.

I assume "motherfu.." "oh c'mon" "what the f" and "no please"

Gbraga

For Honor really grabbed me since the closed beta, and so for the first time since I played it I stopped thinking about this game for a few days. Then I went to look at my posts to see which threads got new answers, saw this one, and came to read.

Now I'm all teared up again. This game is something else. I miss Trico.

I assume "Yedio" is something like "puppy!", or some other generic term to grab Trico's attention. What you wrote as "Urikur", though, I always assumed it was the way he pronounced "Trico".

sasuke_91

I assume "motherfu.." "oh c'mon" "what the f" and "no please"

You really seem to like this game, don't you?

I assume "Yedio" is something like "puppy!", or some other generic term to grab Trico's attention. What you wrote as "Urikur", though, I always assumed it was the way he pronounced "Trico".

I always understood it as "Turico" and in cutscenes he also pronounced it as "Oturicuno" with the additional syllables probably being some kind of grammar stuff like copula or something like the Japanese "no". I assume it is the way they pronounce "Trico".
"Yedio" is exactly what I understood as well.
I really like the language by the way. It sounds better than SotC (if it's the same language I have no idea why it sounds better to me in this game) or horrible languages like in Gravity Rush (great game though).

Morts

Just
got out that cage I had to roll around after being attacked by bad Trico.
Any estimates what % through I am?

NateDog

I mean to ask previously, does TLG have any secret endings or additional scenes that you can get, like ICO's
watermelon
scene?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I mean to ask previously, does TLG have any secret endings or additional scenes that you can get, like ICO's
watermelon
scene?

People are still searching but no one is sure yet. There are some secret/hidden areas like a small area full of fireflies but nothing as crazy as the hidden garden in SotC.

pots555

Bought the collector's edition when it came out. I was super excited. And now, for weird reasons, I can't get into it, at all. I struggle with the controls and camera way too much...

sasuke_91

Bought the collector's edition when it came out. I was super excited. And now, for weird reasons, I can't get into it, at all. I struggle with the controls and camera way too much...

Try not to fight the camera too much. Let it adjust itself. Except for the annoying fades to black the camera actually does a decent job at this most of the time.
Can't help with controls, as I found that the boy controlled perfectly fine.

NateDog

People are still searching but no one is sure yet. There are some secret/hidden areas like a small area full of fireflies but nothing as crazy as the hidden garden in SotC.
I never actually reached that myself, but know enough about it. Was there anything more to it than the apples and the implications of them?

Oh and another question I guess for anyone who finished TLG so far, about the ending.

On rethinking the final scene of the game, I remembered that one of the men in the village on looking at Trico as he flies away says that he won't live much longer. At the end when the grown boy shines the mirror we see two sets of eyes in the cave, but is it possible that these eyes aren't of Trico and his offspring, but instead of his offspring and the female monster that he presumably mated with instead, and that Trico did actually die? I'm not sure if I actually missed a third set of eyes in the cave so perhaps this is pointless conjecture but it just came into my head after I finished the game that it might be possible.

pots555

Try not to fight the camera too much. Let it adjust itself. Except for the annoying fades to black the camera actually does a decent job at this most of the time.
Can't help with controls, as I found that the boy controlled perfectly fine.

Thanks. I gave it another shot tonight and decided to take my time and not fight the camera. You were right. Much more enjoyable.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I never actually reached that myself, but know enough about it. Was there anything more to it than the apples and the implications of them?

Oh and another question I guess for anyone who finished TLG so far, about the ending.

On rethinking the final scene of the game, I remembered that one of the men in the village on looking at Trico as he flies away says that he won't live much longer. At the end when the grown boy shines the mirror we see two sets of eyes in the cave, but is it possible that these eyes aren't of Trico and his offspring, but instead of his offspring and the female monster that he presumably mated with instead, and that Trico did actually die? I'm not sure if I actually missed a third set of eyes in the cave so perhaps this is pointless conjecture but it just came into my head after I finished the game that it might be possible.

I guess this is actually a secret that I forgot about till you mentioned the ending. Its most certainly your Trico as during the final scene you can hit circle to get its horn to glow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTN0FzYuXE

Elitist1945

Okay I now reached the part where
the other creature swipes at Trico and you both fall off the cliff through the building
. How close to the end am I.

Top Bottom