• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us multiplayer is censored in PAL [Up: Confirmed, all PAL region]

Dante316

Nope, the toggle is on. I've seen gore in the single player but I'm showing the same level of gore that the EU version shows in multiplayer. I've never seen a head explode or any dismemberment ever during mutliplayer. I'll trying turning it off and on to see if it'll work.
Seems mine is censored too. I have a usa digital copy and I live in usa! Lol never seen extreme gore in the mp..

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
Finally some coverage from major gaming sites. We will see what happens now when almost everyone from Europe, Australia, New Zealand and other PAL territories knows that thier game has been censored without prior warning or notice!

The german PC version of Resident Evil 4 is uncut and includes the mercenaries mode.

Also I would like to add that I personally would rather have gore in TV than german tits. They are horrible to look at. While I love my country, our women are ugly as hell and Heidi Klum is something like one in a million.

Japanese girls, all day, every day~

Goldmund

No German law requires developers to censor their games. They do it to avert being put on the index, which means a game can't be advertised or publicly displayed and only be sold to adults. German versions get cut to make sure the most important demographic, kids, know about and play the games made with them in mind so they're profitable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Censorship is horse shit, but as long as customers are given a heads up, then the argument of censorship can be properly addressed, as it's not a fault that necessarily befalls the game developer and publisher but instead governments and boards.

But not telling or advertising customers of changes made to your game based on censorship differences between regions is a dog move. I'm sure this isn't the only game in this position, but it's still bullshit. Unless I'm missing something, neither Sony nor Naughty Dog made any effort to let customers know of regional differences, and only buckled under investigation from fans. It's a bit dirty and not particularly fair towards customer expectations, even if it might seem trivial.

Also I would like to add that I personally would rather have gore in TV than german tits. They are horrible to look at. While I love my country, our women are ugly as hell and Heidi Klum is something like one in a million.

Japanese girls, all day, every day~

images-i205866b1aa63.gif

(I respectfully disagree, but that's another topic)

I live in Australia and the game is censored around here, EU version.
I bought the US PSN digital version and it was censored too, but I changed all language settings in the console to English US, and now the game is uncensored.

US version will still censored if your PS3 has language configured as English UK.

huh really? Isn't the US/UK language setting only for the XMB dictionary/keyboard?
So is the PAL version also uncensored with a English US setting?

Zing

Banned
Why does the game even need dismemberment or blood spurts? Maybe the questioning here should be, why do only Americans have to see the gore?

I live in Australia and the game is censored around here, EU version.
I bought the US PSN digital version and it was censored too, but I changed all language settings in the console to English US, and now the game is uncensored.

US version will still censored if your PS3 has language configured as English UK.

Wait. So, is this solely dependend on the PS3's system language? Can anybody else confirm if it works to simply set the system to English US?

Zing

Banned
I watched the gifs in that thread you linked. If that is the level of gore in the game, I really wonder why it is there in the first place. Do you really need to see shit like this?

original

That seems completely unnecessary. Are people legitimately upset that their game doesn't have this excessive gore?

I just realized that the guy who made that thread is going out of his way to own both versions and uses the US version to play online. There must be some sort of psychological terminology for someone that desperate to see blood.

It's not enough that they are censoring the games, now they are censoring forum threads as well. They removed many things from the main thread on the official TLOU forums, after the word got out, and the "big gaming sites" started reporting on it!!!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Media-Coverage-The-Last-of-Us-Censorship-Compared-NSFW/td-p/40854677

attachment.php

Uhm wow! I posted the same comment there I did here in this thread regarding the change of the system language and it got deleted! Why do they do this? What the hell?

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
A message from Ramify (the guy who started the original thread on TLOU Forums)...

Link here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Media-Coverage-The-Last-of-Us-Censorship-Compared-NSFW/td-p/40854677

Slikica610_zpsf2fcdce5.jpg

So yeah.... it has come to this. Soon we will all be banned, and the original TLOU Forum thread edited, censored, closed, and forgotten? And for what? For seeking out the truth, and answers. Well I guess, this society isn't so "free" as we think it is! This is a small issue compared to some of the bigger problems in the world (wars, famine ect.), but it still doesn't deserve to be put under the rug.

I watched the gifs in that thread you linked. If that is the level of gore in the game, I really wonder why it is there in the first place. Do you really need to see shit like this?

original

That seems completely unnecessary. Are people legitimately upset that their game doesn't have this excessive gore?

I just realized that the guy who made that thread is going out of his way to own both versions and uses the US version to play online. There must be some sort of psychological terminology for someone that desperate to see blood.

People just don't like censorship. Get your head our of your ass.

Dead Man

original

It is completely unnecessary, but so is all of gaming. I would prefer to play a censored version myself, but people should have the choice, and the information about what they are buying should be accurate.

Zing

Banned
It is completely unnecessary, but so is all of gaming. I would prefer to play a censored version myself, but people should have the choice, and the information about what they are buying should be accurate.
Are you suggesting that this level of gore is somehow indicated on the box? That someone buying this at the store believes there will be exploding, bloody skull fragments? Is "decapitate your friends!" a bullet point on the packaging?

LudicrouslyLiam

Neo Member
This reminds me of when Naughty Dog released the 1.05 Title Update for Uncharted 2. NODOBY liked it, but they just turned a blind eye to it.

I wonder if the censorship is based on console-region and not game-region?

I have a US copy but I played it on a PAL PS3, and I don't recall ever seeing anything as gruesome as those .gifs while playing multiplayer.

Can anybody confirm?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wonder if the censorship is based on console-region and not game-region?

I have a US copy but I played it on a PAL PS3, and I don't recall ever seeing anything as gruesome as those .gifs while playing multiplayer.

Can anybody confirm?
I can't confirm.. But it's been console region specific - not game region specific - for most PS3 censorings.

Maniac Mansion - NES Exploding hamster
censored in the German version but not in the US version because it slipped Nintendo's censors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oE8PhNMjqM
I believe there was a second American printing that was censored?

Dave1988

Are you suggesting that this level of gore is somehow indicated on the box? That someone buying this at the store believes there will be exploding, bloody skull fragments? Is "decapitate your friends!" a bullet point on the packaging?

Do keep in mind that its only the Multiplayer portion of the game that is censored, SP has been left intact.So while you can freely dismember enemies in SP as in the uncensored version, the MP will have none of that. It kinda makes the executions in MP lose any and all impact. It's a headscrather to me why they decided to only censor MP and not the SP too.

Also, its a shitty practice to not inform your customers that the game will be consored in all european copies of the game.

mclem

I'm not a fan of gore, as such. I am, however, wholly in favour of presenting the artist's vision unaffected by censorship. If that means gore, so be it.

I think the violence *is* excessive, but I'd rather that than affect their right to expression.

Dead Man

Have you worked hard to miss the point or does it come naturally?

A message from Ramify (the guy who started the original thread on TLOU Forums)...

Link here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Media-Coverage-The-Last-of-Us-Censorship-Compared-NSFW/td-p/40854677

Slikica610_zpsf2fcdce5.jpg

So yeah.... it has come to this. Soon we will all be banned, and the original TLOU Forum thread edited, censored, closed, and forgotten? And for what? For seeking out the truth, and answers. Well I guess, this society isn't so "free" as we think it is! This is a small issue compared to some of the bigger problems in the world (wars, famine ect.), but it still doesn't deserve to be put under the rug.

Holy shit.

KillGore

I'm from Puerto Rico and I have never seen gore in the multiplayer. My PS3 is in English so idk what's happening. Retail copy. Where is the option to toggle it on/off? main menu or inside the MP?

My PS3 is US version.

Rockshow2oo8

Neo Member
I'm from Puerto Rico and I have never seen gore in the multiplayer. My PS3 is in English so idk what's happening. Retail copy. Where is the option to toggle it on/off? main menu or inside the MP?

My PS3 is US version.

Make sure you have a US version of the game, and set your PS3 system language to English (US), and try playing it on US PSN account. And don't forget that in order to see gore in MP you need to change the gore settings to "ON" in the options.

The following actions in MP will display extreme gore:
- executing a downed enemy with Shortie
- executing a downed enemy with Shotgun
- throwing a nail bomb near a downed enemy

Censorship is horse shit, but as long as customers are given a heads up, then the argument of censorship can be properly addressed, as it's not a fault that necessarily befalls the game developer and publisher but instead governments and boards.

But not telling or advertising customers of changes made to your game based on censorship differences between regions is a dog move. I'm sure this isn't the only game in this position, but it's still bullshit. Unless I'm missing something, neither Sony nor Naughty Dog made any effort to let customers know of regional differences, and only buckled under investigation from fans. It's a bit dirty and not particularly fair towards customer expectations, even if it might seem trivial.
Was excessive gore/dismemberment one of the advertised points of the game or the US version, or whatever?

How does it come that you can't say those were extra features of the US version?

iceatcs

I do think the censorship is still important part of the gaming world. We have way many people in earth and not all of overaged are safe.

Here's a comparison GIF between American and European special executions with the sawed off Shotgun to the head:

xmf0W1G.gif

I would enjoy the game less, knowing that I was playing the censored version, especially after seeing this difference.
Adults across the world should be able to play games uncensored, IMO. Perhaps giving players the option to toggle the more graphic violence might be a good idea, just to appease all tastes.
As an Aussie, Im still pissed our version of Saints Row 4 is nerfed because of some trivial drug related issue. Its very frustrating.

Zing

Banned
Americans played heavily censored games for at least five years in the NES era. Our churches transformed into hospitals and people "fell asleep" instead of dying.

That screencap above is interesting. "Multiplayer is a breath of fresh air, now could you please add flying skull fragments?"

Was excessive gore/dismemberment one of the advertised points of the game or the US version, or whatever?
It certainly is not on the packaging for either the NTSC or PAL region. I see "leader boards, trophies" etc, but no "decapitations, exploding brain matter"…

YoungHav

Banned
why are people complaining about the levels of gore... it's a very brutal post-zombie apocalypse society. The Gore and brutality in the game is realistic.

Top Bottom