• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Poniewozik for Time: The Leftovers Hurts, So Good
Hey, did I mention that this show is gloomy as all hell? It is, even with a few Lindelofian touches like his taste for ironically jaunty music cues. Even the best version of The Leftovers, if it proves a complete creative success, will not be a show for everyone. Yet it believes fervently, messily, heartbreakingly, that even two percent of everyone means more than you can imagine.

I still don't know whether to be hyped for this or not. That Sepinwall review is hilariously over the top. I was rolling my eyes all the way through reading it.

I'll wait until some more sensible people review it.

The reviews are just so overwhelmingly great. I've gone from thinking this is an interesting premise that has potential to be a good show to just flat out hyped to see this thing.
They haven't been universally positive (see the metacritic list for a little more breadth), but my curiosity is certainly piqued. Sounds like it's not for everyone, but the fact that people are reacting strongly to it (either positively or negatively) is usually an indicator that it's worth seeing what the fuss is all about.

RELIGHT

Banned
So we are in for the usual initial intrigue that never ever pays off right?

Cool,just so long as we all know what this is.

anaron

Embarrassingly hyperbolic Sepinwall is best Sepinwall. I never tire of reading his review of the Girls season 2 finale.
"At the end of the finale, Adam literally kicks her apartment door down when she won't let him in, and it's the most heroic damn thing I've seen on television in forever"

😐

Vire

Usually nearly everything HBO puts out is nothing short of fantastic, but the trailers really aren't doing it for me with this one.

Looks pretty corny.

They haven't been universally positive (see the metacritic list for a little more breadth), but my curiosity is certainly piqued. Sounds like it's not for everyone, but the fact that people are reacting strongly to it (either positively or negatively) is usually an indicator that it's worth seeing what the fuss is all about.

Yeah I guess I should specify that based on the reviews of the critics I follow and knowing how their tastes commonly align or don't with mine, I'm very confident that I'm going to really like the series at this point.

So we are in for the usual initial intrigue that never ever pays off right?

Cool,just so long as we all know what this is.
Yeah it seems the mystery is clearly not a part of the show.

- Maureen Ryan's review: A 'Lost' Producer Goes To The Dark Side
Ultimately, "The Leftovers" depicts a series of personal apocalypses, and it's an open question as to whether it will be able to spin these individual and community crises into a viable ongoing TV series. So far, it's not quite more than the sum of its mournful parts, but it's making a big effort, and it may get there eventually.

"At the end of the finale, Adam literally kicks her apartment door down when she won't let him in, and it's the most heroic damn thing I've seen on television in forever"

😐

Lol

VDW's classic For Our Consideration: How Girls challenges the masculine expectations of "good TV" remains one of the most unintentionally hilarious headlines I've ever seen on the internet.

gdt

Hell yeah I'm in. Had no idea this was happening so soon. Lindelof back on TV gets an insta watch from me. Plus these reviews are great.

zychi

Banned
Gee, Lindelloff writing about a religious thing, but pretending its not.

I wonder when he did this before. I'm totally LOST

Rapture+Lindeloff sounds terrible, but hopefully HBO kept him at bay. I'll check out the pilot, but I'm going in skeptical.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Gee, Lindelloff writing about a religious thing, but pretending its not.

Well, the show is based on a book, and in the book, it's not clear whether it's a religious thing or a paranormal thing or an extraterrestrial thing. It's ambiguous.

All we know is that 2% of the world's population vanished and the point of the book/tv show is to show how the people left behind are coping with that - not to discover the mysteries of the "event".

zychi

Banned
Well, the show is based on a book, and in the book, it's not clear whether it's a religious thing or a paranormal thing or an extraterrestrial thing. It's ambiguous.

All we know is that 2% of the world's population vanished and the point of the book/tv show is to show how the people left behind are coping with that - not to discover the mysteries of the "event".

The trailer sure doesn't show that.

StuBurns

Banned
Lindelof's a very successful writer/producer. If you don't like his work, that's fine of course, but I don't see why people act like his continued success is somehow surprising.

Lol

VDW's classic For Our Consideration: How Girls challenges the masculine expectations of "good TV" remains one of the most unintentionally hilarious headlines I've ever seen on the internet.
Oh boy, I think read that article again today, good stuff.

Rename the show "The Event", put it on NBC three years ago imo
The trailer sure doesn't show that.
From what I've read, most critics agree that the promo material so far hasn't done a good job showing what the show is about and what it's like (other than the bleakness).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Rename the show "The Event", put it on NBC three years ago imo

Sounds like it would've been a big hit.

From what I've read, most critics agree that the promo material so far hasn't done a good job showing what the show is about

reHVhwr.jpg

Nameless

The early reviews and impressions ease a lot of my fears about what the show might be. It actually sounds like a TV series made in the spirit of films like 'Children of Men' and 'The Road', where the narrative explores little-to-nothing about the origin of the cataclysmic event, and instead remains tightly fixed on the characters as they try to move on amid the shattered remains of the world they used to know. What life entails in this new existence is an immeasurably more fascinating question than "Zomg what's the grand mystery behind everything?"

Trying and failing to get into shows like Revolution, Resurrection, and The 4400 lately revealed just how low of a tolerance I've developed for the latter.

TheOddOne

I have erased that poster from my memory and now never existed. NEVER.

- Flavorwire review: The Awe-Inspiring Bleakness of HBO’s ‘The Leftovers’
Based on its first few episodes, The Leftovers is bleak and depressing. It’s a haunting and heartsick show, and one that’s full of frustration and longing. Its debut episodes are also the most promising I’ve seen this year, and I won’t be surprised if it becomes one of the best series of 2014.
It’s a bit reminiscent of the earlier Lost seasons, the ones that we all watched in awe, though this forgoes the lighter moments for nonstop despair.
This is an odd thing to say, but the bleakness is what I like most about The Leftovers. It is unrelenting but necessary. It’s the only way to tell this story.

Sounds good, but has there been any info on whether the A.C makes an appearance or demons, etc?

Or is it just going to be about the human element? I'm not opposed to it being solely about humans living in a post rapture world, but it'd be disappointing if that's all there was to the show.

Sober

Sounds good, but has there been any info on whether the A.C makes an appearance or demons, etc?

Or is it just going to be about the human element? I'm not opposed to it being solely about humans living in a post rapture world, but it'd be disappointing if that's all there was to the show.
Nope, that's pretty much it.

StuBurns

Banned
I would be very shocked if there weren't 'twists' dotted throughout the show. I imagine we'll never find out what happened, but I also can't imagine it'll be a straight drama throughout.

Nope, that's pretty much it.

Sigh. Well that's really disappointing. I guess I'll adjust my expectations accordingly then.

I have to wonder why they would decide not to introduce the wider elements of the rapture. I get that focusing on the despair of people left behind would make for a good show, but that doesn't mean they can't drop some other elements of rapture mythos into the mix as well.

I would be very shocked if there weren't 'twists' dotted throughout the show. I imagine we'll never find out what happened, but I also can't imagine it'll be a straight drama throughout.

Lindelof and twists don't mix well, but I do hope you're right about there being some twists. I want some extended rapture goodness. I guess it doesn't help that I watching the rapture episode from American Dad last night...

StuBurns

Banned
Sigh. Well that's really disappointing. I guess I'll adjust my expectations accordingly then.

I have to wonder why they would decide not to introduce the wider elements of the rapture. I get that focusing on the despair of people left behind would make for a good show, but that doesn't mean they can't drop some other elements of rapture mythos into the mix as well.
But we don't know it was the rapture? The ambiguity is the whole point.

But we don't know it was the rapture? The ambiguity is the whole point.

Huh. I thought the book it's based on was clear about it being a rapture event?

EDIT,

Reading up on the book, it seems you're right, it's never explicitly stated it's a rapture event, but a rapture like event. That's cool, I guess. Disappointing though, I find the whole idea of the rapture fascinating and would love to see a proper show/movie based around those events.

StuBurns

Banned
Huh. I thought the book it's based on was clear about it being a rapture event?
It doesn't, and nor will the show, at least initially.

The half hour making of feature HBO put out seemed to indicate there will be lots of debate within the show as to the nature of the event, and some do indeed believe it was the rapture, but other theories and beliefs exist.

The people who disappeared were not uniformly religious or pious.

It doesn't, and nor will the show, at least initially.

The half hour making of feature HBO put out seemed to indicate there will be lots of debate within the show as to the nature of the event, and some do indeed believe it was the rapture, but other theories and beliefs exist.

The people who disappeared were not uniformly religious or pious.

Yeah, I edited my post after reading up a little on the book.

Thanks for the info though, I was under the impression it was solely about the rapture. I'm fine with it being entirely about the human element in that case, but I do hope we eventually get a show/movie that explores the rapture in its entirety. It's one of the more fascinating religious /myths/stories out there.

Ricker

Cant be any gloomier or depressing then the Killing or this other show that was set in the suburbs,small town built near those big Hydro pylons...damn forgot what that was called(EDIT: Durham County),it stared the guy that was in Flashpoint as a cop going crazy,the guy in Motive who was a psychopath,and Laurence Leboeuf...I liked those shows.

Anyway hope its good.

Blader

I don't mind bleak and depressing stories, but I hope this isn't like the sad parents subplot from The Killing stretched out into its own series. Dark can be good, but when it's that overwrought it's just oppressive and annoying.

- Matt Zoller Seitz: HBO's The Leftovers Is All Bleakness All the Time
The first few episodes don’t showcase enough artistry to justify all the slogging and weeping, the bloodied faces and broken hearts. But I’d be lying if I said The Leftovers didn’t fascinate me. The totality of the suffering feels new. The scale of it overwhelms, so much so that nitpicking the dialogue, the performances, or the filmmaking seems petty. This is what I meant by “emotional blackmail,” a certain amount of which is baked right into the show’s premise. The Leftovers practically dares you to keep watching, and feeling. At the bottom of the first page of my notes, “sloppy handheld camerawork” is crossed out. Beneath it is “overwhelming pain.”

Gray Matter

I only saw the first trailer and it looked interesting enough that I went on a media blackout on this. Here's hoping for another great drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom